Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Re: northern california shrooms [Re: xmush]
    #6654642 - 03/10/07 12:02 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

xmush said:
Are you going to respond or just ignore this MJ? I really am curious about this potency analysis which you use like a bat to hit everyone with who claims subbs have varying or low potency.

stop putting quarters in the monkey

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jaw-juh
Re: northern california shrooms [Re: tahoe]
    #6655194 - 03/10/07 08:57 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

lol tahoe

And MJ, thanks for the refs. I will check those out.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: northern california shrooms [Re: xmush]
    #6655365 - 03/10/07 10:14 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Here are three more sources I should have included.

Lincoff and Mitchell, 1978,

Richard Hans Norland, 1978,

Haard and Haard, 1978

I should also note that I was the first person to provide to the public, correct dosages for the primary psilocybian mushroom species common in America and the world in my first two books, based on personal dosage over the years of 1973-1976 and 1978.

mjshroomer

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: northern california shrooms [Re: mjshroomer]
    #6656889 - 03/10/07 08:39 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Southern California is primarily desert, except for the mountains, so having ANY mushrooms of any species down there is a rarity compared to more temperate areas like northern California and the PNW, and N Europe

not that psilocybe species isn't a human related phenomena in itself, but you get the idea...I would think it's more likely than not to have species NOT known already in S California because 150 years ago, Los Angeles was a mighty small cowpoke town in the middle of a mighty big desert full of cactii, and I seriously doubt there was much fungal activity of any species, except for the occasional rain.

But up in the hills you have live oak, and you can get chanterelles sometimes with some other species..basically, in Southern California, you have huge swaths of land where alot of species must be able to hibernate for possibly years before a good enough rain, and that in itself can create rarities..Much bigger stresses on mycellium down there than here in the Bay Area

as far as looking anywhere in California in cow pastures for mushrooms, whoever said that's no good has never been to Eureka and points north on the coast along Redwood National Park

Liberty caps abound in places up there, and that is still California. They like a certain type of grass which is not as prevalent in the Bay Area as it is in Eureka..thick lush green grass that cows much on all day with a smile

to compare, the cow fields near and east of the bay Area are relatively thin grass..In fact, I'm pretty sure I read articles of how dairy farmers in the central valley have to give the cows supplements, because the grass alone isn't good enough, like it is up north

I once saw a government chart/map years ago on evaporation rates in California...Southern California, especially east around Death Valley (desert)had the highest, while the north coast near Eureka/Arcata had the lowest (rainforest)

California is a big state with maybe one of the greatest variety of habitats of all the states, or on the entire planet for that matter, and some of the highest and lowest places on earth, with some of the most extreme temperatures recorded anywhere on earth, both top and bottom temps...not THE records, but pretty close to it in many cases

to say "California" as a whole to describe habitat is a mistake

San Francisco is somewhere in the middle of all this

Edited by auweia (03/10/07 09:28 PM)

OfflineSubbedhunter420
Solitary Hunter
Male User Gallery

Loc: LA/Ventura County
Re: northern california shrooms [Re: auweia]
    #6658527 - 03/11/07 02:34 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I concur. The desert is no place for fungus but when you're 15 minutes away from the pacific ocean and you live in the large grassy valleys between the mountains where sprinklers are the main water supplier you dont as much. Yes, it isnt good temperatures or humidity for them but you CAN find mushrooms consistently throughout the year.

As for the 150 years of human activity, It makes no difference.

Places like this have existed longer than Western Settlement has in america and produce all year round. This is where i hunt in Southern California for Gymnopilus and edibles like chanterelles and boletes.

This is one mile inland from the other picture.

BIG DIFFERENCE. But there's the oak covered hills you speak of.

Southern California is just so diverse you have to look for the right spots. You'd be suprised what you'll find...

Offlinedoitagain
He-Bro
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Milk and Honey
Re: northern california shrooms [Re: Subbedhunter420]
    #6660500 - 03/12/07 01:59 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

great pics. i know a few places like the first one, but never thought to look for shrooms there.

--------------------
now i hear the police comin after me

OfflineSubbedhunter420
Solitary Hunter
Male User Gallery

Loc: LA/Ventura County
Re: northern california shrooms [Re: doitagain]
    #6662018 - 03/12/07 04:27 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

forest mulch covers the ground half a foot or thicker when youre off the path. You can uncover mycelium almost anywhere you dig after it rains. Its a great place to look.

OfflineSSM_Arts
Shaman
Male

Loc: CA
Re: northern california shrooms [Re: futuramaar]
    #7648425 - 11/17/07 06:02 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I have started a thread for Northern California poeple to discuss these similar topics here at the shroomery. So if you reside in Northern California (sata cruz & up) please join our thread!! Here is the link..Thanks!

http://urbanshamans.inventforum.com/

--------------------

Dedication, Patience & tenacity is the curve that grades a wannabe from a true cultivator. - Agar

“The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing.”
- Socrates

I had to go to the hospital for sinus treatment a couple years ago. I recommended THIS to anyone with sinusitus or nasal problems. It's amazing!

Offlinewyattb
fellowshroomer
Male User Gallery

Loc: forest
Re: northern california shrooms [Re: SSM_Arts]
    #7649464 - 11/17/07 11:09 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

what county r u hunting in in so cal

OfflineS1lent
Spicolli
Male User Gallery

Loc: Soviet Russa, Russia Flag
Re: northern california shrooms [Re: CureCat]
    #12885050 - 07/11/10 11:19 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

CureCat said:
A few things...

In my personal opnion (and many people will concur), if you live in northern california, it is not worth hunting Panaeolus subbalteatus because they are frequently very weak in potency, compared to Psilocybe cyanescens, Ps. cyanofibrillosa, and others.

Further more, Pan. subbalteatus is far more common growing from fertilized grass, than it is found growing from straw or manure; even less so, manure.

That is why I did not mention subbs.  :smile:

Where is the sticky forum, i didn't find it? :/

--------------------
Van Halen - Dreams

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: northern california shrooms [Re: S1lent]
    #12885486 - 07/12/10 01:35 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

....What??
A stickied thread is a topic that is "stuck" at the top of a forum.  So it stays on top of the first page of the forum even if no one posts anything in it.  Forum Rule threads are an example of a stickied thread that are always found at the top of the list of posts on the forums.

But I am not sure what the part you quoted me as saying 3 or so yrs ago has to do with sticky threads...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom