Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblejokefox
Top of the chain
Male User Gallery

Loc: never where I should be
NO LYSOL
    #12873506 - 07/09/10 03:47 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

i keep reading over and over and over and over again about people spraying stuff in the air
and not doing this properly

when you inoculate anything
either do it in a glovebox or under a flowhood 

if you dont do that
find a room where you can get still air
go in there and wipe down all the surfaces with SOAPY WARM WATER
no bleach no lysol no nothing

you have to battle the surfaces . thats where all the particles land... if the particles dont land your doing it wrong
there has to be either still air or filtered air like a hepa filter . i.e flowhood . or you can run a air purifier
but you still neeed to wipe surfaces and no lysol

when you spawn something to bulk , again you dont need lysol
just clean down your surfaces , i clean my trays or tubs with warm soapy water then with some 97% iso
ive done many spawn runs drunk
in my kitchen with cloths i was wearing well falling down a hill
and have had no contams... bulk is less susceptible to contams but you should still be AS CLEAN AS POSSIBLE

sorry for the rant but i believe someone needs to say this, lysol and stuff like that are usually not needed

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
Re: NO LYSOL [Re: jokefox]
    #12873622 - 07/09/10 04:06 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

DISINFECTANT

*Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide as Disinfectants
By Judy Stouffer, B.S., M.S., SFO
You can make your kitchen a cleaner, safer place and fight bacteria, without exposing yourself and your family to toxic chemicals that also damage the environment. You can use a simple safe disinfecting spray that is more effective than any of the commercial cleaners in killing bacteria. As a bonus, it is inexpensive!
Susan Sumner, a food scientist at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, worked out the recipe for just such a sanitizing combo. All you need is three percent hydrogen peroxide, the same strength available at the drug store for gargling or disinfecting wounds, and plain white or apple cider vinegar, and a pair of brand new clean sprayers, like the kind you use to dampen laundry before ironing.
If you're cleaning vegetables or fruit, just sprits them well first with both the vinegar and the hydrogen peroxide, and then rinse them off under running water.
It doesn't matter which you use first - you can spray with the vinegar then the hydrogen peroxide, or with the hydrogen peroxide followed by the vinegar. You won't get any lingering taste of vinegar or hydrogen peroxide, and neither is toxic to you if a small amount remains on the produce.
As a bonus: The paired sprays work exceptionally well in sanitizing counters and other food preparation surfaces -- including wood cutting boards.
In tests run at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, pairing the two mists killed virtually all Salmonella, Shigella, or E. coli bacteria on heavily contaminated food and surfaces when used in this fashion, making this spray combination more effective at killing these potentially lethal bacteria than chlorine bleach or any commercially available kitchen cleaner.
The best results came from using one mist right after the other - it is 10 times more effective than using either spray by itself and more effective than mixing the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide in one sprayer.
Science News August 8, 1998; Vol. 154, Issue. 6; pg. 83-85 DISINFECTANT SCIENCE

*Best cheapest sanitizing agent I have found is one mist bottle full of white vinegar, another mist bottle full of H202.
Spray one on, wait a minute, spray other on, wait a minute, wipe down with clean paper towels (doesn’t matter which is sprayed on - first).
That combo will KILL...E-Coli, Salmonella, Aids & host of almost all other nasty stuff, including mold spores.
Just prior to using any tray, or container -- alc swab with 70% alc & allow to evap. 70% alc is MORE EFFECTIVE, as evap time is longer than higher % alc. SANITIZING STERILIZER

*Sanitize means to reduce the number of contaminants to a safe or relatively safe level as may be judged by public health requirements.
Disinfect means elimination of all recognized pathogenic microorganism but not necessarily all microbial forms.
Sterilize means the destruction of all microbial life by use of chemical or physical procedures.  DISINFECTANTS

*White vinegar in one spray bottle. 3% peroxide in another spray bottle. Spray one on, give it a moment, spray the other on, give it a few moments.... then wipe down with clean cloth. Cheap & effective to disinfect anything. DISINFECTANT CHEAP

*ALSO Buying in bulk bottles, then filling a spray mist bottle, is a LOT cheaper than buying Lysol in spray cans.
Agar is FRUGAL. SANITIZING STERILIZER

:scaryshroom::thumbup:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

Invisibleplurfekt
Finally Grateful

Loc: USA
Re: NO LYSOL [Re: jokefox]
    #12873634 - 07/09/10 04:08 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

It's been said before, but perhaps a veteran could explain the reasoning and a mod could make it a sticky.

I use Ozium, forget Lysol :cool: (just breaking your balls)

I don't use it most of the time, and I've heard a few times not that it's completely un-necessary to spray a still air box with the stuff.  I use the Ozium mostly, for when I make my spore prints, or if I have a contamination I spray the area I used to dispose of the invaders to help prevent the mold spores of finding their way back into my grow area.

So I agree.

I'd learn more about airflow and such.. all I ever really learned about were carbon filters back in my botany days.

InvisibleLisonAlGaib
 User Gallery

Re: NO LYSOL [Re: plurfekt]
    #12873676 - 07/09/10 04:14 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

:thumbup: Nice information!  Thanks.

Offlinecurenado
73rd Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Central Arkansas
Re: NO LYSOL [Re: LisonAlGaib]
    #12873709 - 07/09/10 04:21 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah - good thread folks! I'll be using it myself...
:congrats:

--------------------
Yours in the Natural State!
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep; but I have patches to keep, and jars to sterilize before I sleep...."

Invisibleambargh
 User Gallery

Re: NO LYSOL [Re: curenado]
    #12873762 - 07/09/10 04:31 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I think it certainly doesn't hurt to give a quick spray down of the air with lysol above and around your GB. I definitely don't have a still air room in my house, unless I go in the hot, dusty, moldy closet or something.  :shrug:

--------------------
"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.." - Douglas Adams

ambargh's easy agar

Offlineevildee125
Here now
Male User Gallery

Loc: fl
Re: NO LYSOL [Re: ambargh]
    #12873781 - 07/09/10 04:34 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

close air vents... wait about 10 minutes.. wear gloves.. done

--------------------
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/banlist.php http://www.shroomery.org/forums/banomatic.php

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/vetstatus.php

Kaleidoscope said:
If you build an idiot-proof device, someone will build a better idiot.

OfflineKillaFoRilla
Heretic
 User Gallery

Re: NO LYSOL [Re: ambargh]
    #12873789 - 07/09/10 04:35 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ambargh said:
I think it certainly doesn't hurt to give a quick spray down of the air with lysol above and around your GB. I definitely don't have a still air room in my house, unless I go in the hot, dusty, moldy closet or something.  :shrug:

I agree, it couldn't hurt that much. Especially for those of us in small apartments with pets. I'll get cancer from
smoking, drinking, and working with other carcinogenic things before lysol gets me. Its all part of the suicide process
anyhow. :shrug:

--------------------

Invisibleplurfekt
Finally Grateful

Re: NO LYSOL [Re: KillaFoRilla]
    #12873798 - 07/09/10 04:37 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Well, of course it doesn't hurt!

I think jokefox was just commenting on the parody that a lot of people feel it's a must.

I've noticed the exact same results with, and without air sanitizer.

Offlineevildee125
Here now
Male User Gallery

#12873808 - 07/09/10 04:39 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

fast thoughtout movements is the name of the game.. be quick and precise..  theres no need for most of whats recommend here

--------------------
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/banlist.php http://www.shroomery.org/forums/banomatic.php

Kaleidoscope said:

Invisibledancefloordale
Research Assistant

Re: NO LYSOL [Re: evildee125]
    #12873842 - 07/09/10 04:46 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I've said this, along with many others for a while. I used it the very first time I attempted cultivation, haven't bought a bottle since.

Those cans are expensive, so while it may not hurt anything, you are spraying $ into the air everytime you use it.

--------------------
Everything posted by the user dancefloordale, aside from what is written in this here clause is completely and utterly fictitious, despite any information read (or seen), above (or below) that might lead you to believe otherwise.

Hydra Tek - A detailed guide, for newest to the most skilled cultivators.

HCA

Bulk growing made easy-discussion
Bulk Growing Made Easy

OfflineKillaFoRilla
Heretic
 User Gallery

Re: NO LYSOL [Re: evildee125]
    #12873850 - 07/09/10 04:47 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I agree. They take every recommendation they get and go way overboard. Some folks around here take some strange and
completely unnecessary steps.

EDIT: dee's got me on ignore. awwwwwwwe :lol:

--------------------

Edited by KillaFoRilla (07/09/10 04:49 PM)

OfflineNanoid
See lost a seat You bend this
Male

Re: NO LYSOL [Re: KillaFoRilla]
    #12873950 - 07/09/10 05:10 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

RR seems to like the stuff....

Quote:

I fog my room with oust to the point it's hard to see through.  I hold a can in each hand and spray for over a minute, completely fogging the room up.  It doesn't cause mutants.  I buy Lysol and Oust by the case.
RR

Link

--------------------

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery
Loc: Lost In Translation ! Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: NO LYSOL [Re: Nanoid]
    #12874018 - 07/09/10 05:27 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I think RR now recommends not to use Lysol.  You have to remember that the link you posted it over 2 years old..  I never use any of that stuff.  I break out my plastic table and give it a wipe down with a clorox bleach wipe.  I then place the flowhood on the table close all my vents and turn the flow hood on for 30 minutes and close the room off so the flow hood cleans the air in the room.  Once that is done I go in and get to work as fast as possible.

If you don't have a flow hood then you should either use a still air box and or shut off all the vents and fans in the room and anything that is causing the air to circulate.  After about 10-15 minutes you can then work fast and carefully.  If you wait the allotted time and there is no source of air movement in the room then most of your contaminates with be settled on the floor at this time.

OfflineNanoid
See lost a seat You bend this
Male

Re: NO LYSOL [Re: Damion5050]
    #12874079 - 07/09/10 05:38 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Damion5050 said:
I think RR now recommends not to use Lysol.  You have to remember that the link you posted it over 2 years old..  I never use any of that stuff.  I break out my plastic table and give it a wipe down with a clorox bleach wipe.  I then place the flowhood on the table close all my vents and turn the flow hood on for 30 minutes and close the room off so the flow hood cleans the air in the room.  Once that is done I go in and get to work as fast as possible.

If you don't have a flow hood then you should either use a still air box and or shut off all the vents and fans in the room and anything that is causing the air to circulate.  After about 10-15 minutes you can then work fast and carefully.  If you wait the allotted time and there is no source of air movement in the room then most of your contaminates with be settled on the floor at this time.

After a bit of searching it seems he might still use both.  he mentions that Lysol is mostly alcohol, which is toxic to fungi.  It is best used as a surface sanitizer rather than spraying it into the air.  While oust is a air sanitizer.

This was posted about 8 months ago

Quote:

Oust is used to kill bacteria that is in suspension in the air.  Alcohol will kill bacteria on surfaces.  I work in front of a flowhood, so before I start it up, I fog the air with oust, let the fog work for ten minutes, Lysol the face of the flowhood filter, and then start the flowhood up to run for an hour or two in a closed room before working.  At $4 per can, Oust is cheap insurance against bacterial contamination.  One bad grain master can cost me fifty times that much if the bacteria doesn't multiply enough to be noticed until after a grain to grain transfer or two.

For gloveboxes, use soap and water.  They need not be sterile.
RR

Link

And here is a post 5 months old

Quote:

Lysol is a surface disinfectant.  I use it on the glass table top my flowhood sets on.  I don't know what you'd spray lysol on in a closet, and it does nothing for the air.  If you're trying to disinfect the air of bacteria, use Oust.
RR

Link

So I would assume both oust and Lysol have their uses still.

--------------------

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: NO LYSOL [Re: Nanoid]
    #12874096 - 07/09/10 05:42 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

This is what I found :shrug: from the sounds of it he really doesnt use lysol he perfers alcohol..  :shrug:

From about 12 days ago.

"It doesn't cause mutations. However, lysol is mostly alcohol, which is toxic to fungi.  It is fine to spray a work table, but no better than rubbing alcohol, which is much cheaper.  Spraying Lysol into the air is a waste of product.
RR "

"A plastic tote to make a still-air box can be bought brand new for the price of two cans of Lysol. Actually, Lysol won't help clean the air anyway.  It's a surface disinfectant.

Search google for 'bacteria on shower curtains' for all you ever wanted to know about how filthy bathrooms are.  In addition, it's where you defecate, and the sink drain is also a breeding ground for bacteria.

Probably the only room less suited to mycology is the kitchen.

Build a glove or still air box.  Those who brag about doing 'sterile' work in bathrooms or kitchens remind me of drunks who brag about driving home shitfaced from the bar.
RR"

"Lysol does NOTHING RR"

Invisibleplurfekt
Finally Grateful

Re: NO LYSOL [Re: Damion5050]
    #12874114 - 07/09/10 05:47 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I just feel bad for people who live in moldy trailers.

He uses a lot of air sanitizer and still gets contaminants like crazy.

:P

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #12874210 - 07/09/10 06:09 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

If you live in a moldy trailer you can still grow you just need a glovebox.  And you need to make sure you prepare the glovebox properlly.  I have grow in a moldly apartment before with no problems.  You just need to be extra extra careful.

Invisiblejokefox
Top of the chain
Male User Gallery

Loc: never where I should be
    #12874235 - 07/09/10 06:13 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

plurfekt said:
I just feel bad for people who live in moldy trailers.

He uses a lot of air sanitizer and still gets contaminants like crazy.

:P

i live in a moldy trailer :datass:
and theres no such thing as air sanitizers

since the air always has these particles
and you deffinetly dont want to use the stuff if you have pets

lysol is bad for us and the environment . airesol products do way more harm the necessary

Offlineevildee125
Here now
Male User Gallery

Re: NO LYSOL [Re: jokefox] * 1
    #12874249 - 07/09/10 06:16 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

flame sterilize said trailer till red hot.. wait till cool .. proceed

--------------------

Kaleidoscope said:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale