Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Salvia

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemachineelf368
self-transforming

Loc: in the mountains, awaitin...
How old is salvia?
    #1287290 - 02/07/03 04:38 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Hofmann and Wasson found the plant and brought it back to the Western world in 1962, but I mean before that. Do we have any archeological evidence or anything like that as to how long salvia has been used by the Mazatecs? Has anyone asked these curanderas how old they think the plant is? Are there any myths/legands as to how the plant came about? I see Dave Pendell wrote, "If you want ska Pastora, you will have to get it the same way everyone else has for the last two thousand years: from a cutting from someone who grows it." Where did he get that number? Anyone?

The reason I ask is, I've been taking care of my own cuttings for three days now. No big deal, I know, but I've come to the realization that these plants sitting here in my room are thousands of years old. It may be new growth, but it still the same plant that Hofmann and Wasson brought back, and still the same plant used for apparantly 2000 years by the locals. That's just awe-inspiring. It's the way I feel when I go to a museum. The first thing I always do is try and find the oldest thing they have. I sit there staring at something, usually from Babylonia, and think to myself, "humans, just like me, carved these strange symbols and this angelic figure 4000 or more years ago." I can't put my head around just how incredibly OLD some things are. And now there's an Ancient growing in the corner of my room!

So yes, anyway, anyone read Pendell's article or anything like that? How long has salvia been "used" and how do we know that? What do the locals say as opposed to what Western know-it-all scientists say on the subject?
-m

--------------------
(the above was deciphered from phi (~1.62) using an advanced alphanumeric conversion algorhythm and should not be perceived as meaningful.)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleperuvian spark
Stranger

Re: How old is salvia? [Re: machineelf368]
    #1287357 - 02/07/03 05:04 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I've read that even the natives who use it don't know where it came from. I'd imagine that if it was native to central america, then all native cultures there have probably used it - since before written or known time probably. I'd kind of like to know too ( origins, ect. ). I mean, what if salvia was imported from Asia or Africa?
Who knows what other ancient cultures may have used it? Maybe its a good thing that we don't know where it came from! ( I think a good name for Salvia could be the "Herb of Questions", because it sure has made me question a lot of things in my life! )

--------------------
"The only unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain and everything is changeable."

Anonymous

Re: How old is salvia? [Re: machineelf368]
    #1287378 - 02/07/03 05:09 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Uh.. Grass is like. 20 million years old or something. Just think about all the little critters that have been chowing down on that shit over all that time..

talk about awe inspiring!

But uh, on topic.. I dont know how old salvia is but I do remember hearing repeatedly about its rarity. I've also read it came from the Oaxaca (no way in hell i spelled that right) region of mexico. Anyway, check sagewisdom.org if you havent already.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Salvia

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden