Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineback_room_farmer
enthusiast
Loc: Bavaria, Germany
First log, Mexi-Cube 14 mar completed 3 flushes
    #1277366 - 02/04/03 08:09 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Ok, So first log here. a friend of a friend has two projects currently going and he asked if I could cronical them at the same time as he started them at the same time on 1 feb 03 These are both p. cubensis mexican strain inoculated and colonized on a 60-40 rye berry to finch seed mix. inoculated from syringes he made himself in a glove box. Sorry for the quality of the photos also as he only has a video cam to take frames from, so the colors are not like that, everything is very white.

This is the casing that he started. It is his first mixed casing as he usually does a layer casing however he has been reading on here that a deep bed can produce better fruits, so here he is starting a mix. The mix is above mentioned inoc, about 2 pints mixed with a peat mixture of his own if it comes out good he will share the recipe.

These are the two cakes he is trying for the first time. The box was purchased for about 12 bucks and closes tight. He is fanning 4 times daily and misting twice daily. The bottom of the box has one inch of moist perlite. The ambient temp is 70-75 degrees F. the humidity is pretty good though he is not getting the build up of water drops on the sides like he has seen on other grow logs.

THese are the cakes after birth, cute huh?

Ok so 4 feb 03 and he has opened his casing box, and low and behold MYCELIUM!! hah knew it would come, however he needs to know if he should patch or wait. The myc is verrry white and fluffy like a cotton swab.

Upper right corner

upper left corner

Here are the cakes as of the fourth

Here is cake 1 or the one on the right side of the grow chamber

A close up, notice the little primodeal nodules? Wish he could get closer but cam will not focus so close.

This is cake 2 or the one on the left side of the grow chamber.

Also a close up. This one is really nobby. As I said before the colors are white, just bad lighting and bad camera.
he will be up dating about every 2 or three days unless he has a significant development to report.
ok, all will have more pics today, however he started getting cobweb on his incubated box, humidity was to high so he have birthed it today and will try to get rid of the cobweb. The cakes have not had to much of a change in the last few days, so I will post more pics as he gets done pulling them off of his cam.

edit 07feb
ok, so here is the update

This is his incubox converted to fruiting box.

What it looks like from a distance, after patching, the same spots burst out.

However he did start getting more mycelium to come forth!

Then he noticed this little bastard!! cobweb, after looking through faqs he has determined that it came from the abnormally high humidity rate in the box during incubation, he is letting the mycelium fight it, and fanning quite a bit. Think they will pull through?

Here are the cakes, no really significant changes, other then the blue spots he had mentioned in another thread. They seem to be doing ok, if maybe a little dried out looking.

Here's cake 1

and a close up

Cake 2

and a close up.
Any suggestions or theories that you might have on his cakes please let me know, as for the box, think he has it in hand, however if you know a trick he doesn't let me know!!!
Thanks alland I will be updating soon!!

edit 12 feb
Ok, update as you all know he lost the casing he orriginally did with this log, well the cakes weren't doing so well, so he cased them
The casing is 100%coco coir mixed with gyps and calcified dung. he then put those into his new grow chamber and is going to let them go.Will update on progress as he gives some to report.
Now to satisfy the questions, he cut the outsides of the cakes off and crumbled the rest into the mix. The cakes after carving smelled very mushy and were very difficult to take appart, very very very colonized

edit 15 feb

Ok, as you can see by this update, the myc from the cakes he cased three days ago is aggressivly colonizing the casing.

This is a close up of the case n the right, rizzo myc coming through, should he patch??

Close up of left case, same question, should he patch??

With his new setup he can keep the grow chamber between 85 to 95% humidity

And the temp is between 21 and 23 celcius.
Any suggestions on what he can improve would help.
And he will be casing some more of his other jars soon, so check his other grow log!!
THanks and KEEP ON SHROOMIN'

edit 18 feb
Ok, 18 feb, and big changes happening to his casings!!

This is a wide view of the two, right side is smoking, left is starting to play catch up.

This is the right case, close up, can you see the way the myc is consuming the coco coir? its wierd when he cased these he made sure that he made it as flat as possible on top, and the myc seems to be making it's own "little valleys" to grow in. The way it does it is the rizzo growth is coming out, and then wraping up the coco coir, wich "sinks" it for lack of a better word.

This is the right case upper section. I don't know about any one else but this is his first time useing coco coir (thanks anno) and he is duelly impressed. he has never had this good of a reaction to a casing. Quick, clean, and simple.
I can only upload one more pic today so I am going to use that in his other log, so check it out!!
If anyone has any tips for him, now would be a good time to clue him in, other then that, Have a good one, and KEEP ON SHROOMIN!!!

edit 22 feb
AND HE HAS REALLY GOOD LOOKING PINS!!!
AND A COUPLE MORE ON THE OTHER SIDE :-)
A long shot of the cases, the one pinning is the one on the right, the one on the left will start soon h think.

edit 24 feb
ok, so this was yesterday the 23rd

this was the left case, one pin, but the pics from today will be more interesting.

Stay tuned will upload todays pics later today!!

edit 24 feb
well as promised here are todays pics!!

long distance shot

A more impressive close up!!

and the odball single pin in the left case, he has noticed some more coming up though.
Enjoy!! and KEEP ON SHROOMIN!!!

edit 24 feb

+ 10 hours!!!!!

edit25 feb
Well he has some great fruits coming the one is over 4 inches, however I still cant upload pics so as soon as I can I will . Also the left case is pinning all over now.

ok as promised, today or + 12 hours from last pics.

long shot

Here is his first mutant ever!!!

and another view of it.

and here is the left case, pinning all over(sorry for pic quality.)
Well have hit my limit for the day so till tomarrow KEEP ON SHROOMIN!!!

edit 26 feb
Ok, so here is my friends grow as of yesterday+9 hours

A little size comparrison

veil breaking

from a distance

This was them at +12 hours

Beautiful!!!!

And the cap size before harvest

all tallied it was 68.7 grams wet. Not as giant as other grows I have seen on here, but the biggest fruits my friend has ever had. He is thanking ANNO for the coco coir suggestion every day. The left box from this grow is also fruiting, and I will update weight when he tells me what it was, not as pretty though fruited to early.
Will keep everyone up to date!! Till then KEEP ON SHROOMIN!!!!

edit 28 feb
Ok my friend has harvested the second case and total wieght with first case was 108.8 grams. Not huge but will due, he also said he had massive amounts of "invetro" shrooms on the bottonm of the case. he was shocked when he flipped the case out and saw this also.

edit 4 mar
Well my friend harvested the second flush of the right case

Not as pretty as the first, but that big fruit was 13.5 grams wet by itself, and the cap when open was over 2 inches in diameter!! the best print of it is going to dlagwagon, so sorry all, but was already pulled, however more prints of this strain will be going to the fsre and fsrnw this week so look for them!!

This is the left case, sorry about pic quality but it is also pinned all over, Oh yeah, my friend took the first case(the right one) and put it on top of the carton it was cased in turned over as with shrinkage the case had so many invetro fruits that he turned it into a flat cake so to speak I will post pics later.!!

edit 5 mar
This is his "flat cake" on the 5th, already starting to get third flush.

And a long shot

He is waiting patiently as it looks to be a good third flush.

edit 9 mar
You all tell me, what do you think of that for a good third flush start :-)

More pics as he gets them to me till then KEEP ON SHROOMIN!!!

edit 11 mar
Ok, my friend harvested the third flush today, 82.1 wet grams, and beautiful textbook mexi-cubes. I will add the pics later as he has still to get them to me.

edit 12 mar

So here are the awaited pics!!We start with the 10th, day before harvest

And now the 11th the day of harvest. My friend says that the flat cake method looks like the next try as taking the case out of the container and using it as a flat cake made a really big difference. But you all tell me, What do you think of this for a THIRD!!! flush?

EDIT !$ MAR
WELL THE MEXI"S FROM MY FRIEND HAVE STOPPED GROWING< HE NOTICED A LITTLE GREEN AROUND THE BOTTOM OF THE CASE AND DECIDED TO CALL IT QUITS< BUT HEY AFTER 3 NICE FLUSHES NOT BAD!! I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE ENJOYED THIS LOG IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO GIVE ME ANY HINTS OR TIPS TO SHARE WITH MY FRIEND FEEL FREE TO PM ME AS THIS LOG IS FINISHED>
EVERYONE!!! PEACE!!! AND KEEP ON SHROOMIN!!!!!

--------------------
are you talkin' to me? oh! you are! wassuuppppp!

Edited by Anno (03/13/03 08:15 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: First log, P. Cubensis Mexican strain [Re: back_room_farmer]
    #1277391 - 02/04/03 08:14 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I would go ahead and try to fruit that casing. I have always found that patching is unnecessary unless the colonization is in only one place.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Offlineback_room_farmer
enthusiast
Re: First log, P. Cubensis Mexican strain [Re: z@z.com]
    #1277434 - 02/04/03 08:31 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

It has only been in for like 3 days. Hasn't colonized the top yet, should he wait or just start with fruiting. With his layer casings it was simple, they colonized the top layer and then fruited, but was pretty even, this just started going pow al over but no even growth he is trying to get this whole thing colonized so he can "bulk it"

--------------------

Edited by back_room_farmer (02/25/03 12:08 AM)

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1280894 - 02/05/03 06:57 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Looks good so far.
How thick is the casing layer?

Offlineback_room_farmer
enthusiast
Re: First log, P. Cubensis Mexican strain [Re: Anno]
    #1280937 - 02/05/03 07:10 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

top layer maybe 2 mm not thick casing itself in total is about 3-4 inches deep.

--------------------

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
    #1281370 - 02/05/03 09:31 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

You could patch it but if your casing layer is just a couple mm it's probably thin enough for light to penetrate through. I'd birth it, although I've never dealt with the mexi, I'm not too sure how prone it is to overlay. I couldn't imagine the rest of the mycelium is too far behind.
With fast colonizers people usually have the best results when they birth the casings before it's colonized.
Good Luck

--------------------

OfflineBavet
Sensitive StonedRebel

Re: First log, P. Cubensis Mexican strain [Re: @cro]
    #1281594 - 02/05/03 10:35 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Lookin good. Nice to see alot of pictures :smile: 

--------------------
"~Dream as if you'll live forever....live as if you'll die today~ James Dean"

Offlineback_room_farmer
enthusiast
Re: First log, P. Cubensis Mexican strain (edited 07 feb) *DELETED* [Re: back_room_farmer]
    #1286980 - 02/06/03 09:08 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by back_room_farmer

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: First log, P. Cubensis Mexican strain (edited 07 feb) [Re: back_room_farmer]
    #1286993 - 02/06/03 09:16 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Remove the infected portion of the casing using a spoon carefully and spray the patch with H2O2 solution.

Offlineback_room_farmer
enthusiast
Re: First log, P. Cubensis Mexican strain (edited 07 feb) [Re: Anno]
    #1286996 - 02/06/03 09:17 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

will do anno!

--------------------

Offlineback_room_farmer
enthusiast
Re: First log, P. Cubensis Mexican strain (edited 09 feb) [Re: back_room_farmer]
    #1292499 - 02/09/03 04:25 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Well he had a catostrophic failure in his grow box/ inoc box. Humidity level to high and cobweb got too intrenched for him to battle. Had to dump the whole thing :frown:
However he dunked the two cakes while he upgraded his grow chamber wich I will post pictures of when I get the chance. Did some high tech mods to it to keep air flow and humidity at optimum. Hopefully will work better.

--------------------

Edited by back_room_farmer (02/25/03 12:09 AM)

OfflineWaldarbeiter
can you eat it?

Loc: woods of lower bavaria
Re: First log, P. Cubensis Mexican strain (edited 09 feb) [Re: back_room_farmer]
    #1292641 - 02/09/03 05:34 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Hi!
Nice grow log!
I'm looking forward to seeing fruitz !
:grin: hehe
:grin: 

Offlineback_room_farmer
enthusiast
Re: First log, P. Cubensis Mexican strain (edited 09 feb) [Re: Waldarbeiter]
    #1292834 - 02/09/03 06:53 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks arbeiter, wish the case would of lasted, guess it proves a point if a jar is in question!! don't use it!! Found out that is a contributing factor to the loss of the casing, however wald!! the eq our friend sent to him is doing good he did the second and final shake on them today, and let me tell you they have colonized more since this morning!!

--------------------

Edited by back_room_farmer (02/25/03 12:11 AM)

Offlineback_room_farmer
enthusiast
Re: First log, P. Cubensis Mexican strain (edited 12 feb) *DELETED* [Re: back_room_farmer]
    #1301746 - 02/12/03 05:51 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: First log, P. Cubensis Mexican strain (edited 12 feb) [Re: back_room_farmer]
    #1306001 - 02/13/03 01:54 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

What did you lose it to ? That cobweb that you "let the mycellium fight?"

Offlineback_room_farmer
enthusiast
Re: First log, P. Cubensis Mexican strain (edited 12 feb) [Re: daba]
    #1306578 - 02/13/03 07:13 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

If you mean the casing, yes the cobweb and green mold, there were a number of factors there, he used a jar that was questionable, and had too high humidity levels during incubation. he tried fighting it with h202/h20 but he lost. He has learned his lesson on checking his jars very carefully.

--------------------

Edited by back_room_farmer (02/25/03 12:12 AM)

Offlineback_room_farmer
enthusiast
Re: First log, P. Cubensis Mexican strain (edited 12 feb) *DELETED* [Re: back_room_farmer]
    #1309144 - 02/15/03 02:27 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

Offlineback_room_farmer
enthusiast
    #1316249 - 02/18/03 07:15 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: First log, P. Cubensis Mexican strain (edited 12 feb) [Re: back_room_farmer]
    #1316366 - 02/18/03 08:26 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

add more casing layer to the heavily colonized areas, this is called patching.

you want it all to start poking through at the same time.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Offlineback_room_farmer
enthusiast
Re: First log, P. Cubensis Mexican strain (edited 12 feb) [Re: Raadt]
    #1316373 - 02/18/03 08:27 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

He was wondering if he should patch, it goes so fast in coir, but will do.

--------------------

Edited by back_room_farmer (02/25/03 12:13 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures