Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
People Collect Personalities.
    #1286703 - 02/06/03 08:47 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Yes folks, it's true.

We, referring to those readers who belong to the human race (you know who you are), are nothing but personality collectors!

:shocked:

Premise 1:

Everyone you interract with has some sort of impact on your personality, and our personalities are completely created by other people.

Premise 2:

We want to make our personalities the best they can be. 

Conclusion, based on Premise 1 and Premise 2:

In order to make our personality better, which Premise 2 states is true; we need to continually add to it.  The only way to do this, as Premise 1 states, is by interracting with others.  Thus, the people we choose to be close friends with are nothing but victims in our endless hunt for other personalities that we think would add to our own.

Example:

A few summers ago, I attended a summer camp dealing with conservation and sustainablitity of the Earth's resources.  I met a girl there who I instantly, for lack of a better word, "clicked" with.  We spent most of the 2 weeks at camp hanging out with each other, cracking each other up and having an overall great time together.

After camp ended we kept in contact for over 2 years, and I even took a bus trip across the state to visit her!  After a while, though, we slowly drifted apart from each other. 

I think we had both found a personality in each other that we really wanted to be around so that it would become incorporated into our own personalities and add to them.  We were both on a personality hunt, and we both found what we were looking for!  After a while, though, we no longer needed each others' personalities, as they had both been fully assimilated; and thus we fell out of contact.

So, you guys dig?

Hope I explained that okay.  I'm working on my "conveying my thoughts with words" skills.  :smile:

-RebelSteve 

--------------------
Namaste.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinethe universe
Harbinger ofEldritch Despair
Male

Loc: Under your bed
Re: People Collect Personalities. [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1286720 - 02/06/03 08:51 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I totally dig it man. I notice that I always pick up maneurisms of those I'm kicken it with. Any new friends that I end up spending a lot of time with I end up thinking about their personalities a lot. I also notice that not only do I start to pick up things that my friends do, but they pick up on things I do to. It's intense. I never thought of it the way you just put it though.

--------------------
"If you had a million years to do it in, you couldn't rub out even half the 'Fuck you' signs in the world."- J. D. Salinger

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #1286728 - 02/06/03 08:55 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

What is the difference between what you are saying now and this post from a couple of days ago?

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum11&Number=1274830&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

They seem like the same concept to me. I agree with the concept.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #1286735 - 02/06/03 08:58 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I dig, but I also think that personality can grow without outside interaction. I think the healthy way to live is a mix of personal advancement and interaction with others.  :smile:

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
    #1286798 - 02/06/03 09:10 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Everyone you interract with has some sort of impact on your personality, and our personalities are completely created by other people.

I have often thought about this. I know some other facts that coinicide with that idea. Like - apparently one of the ways we feel empathy is by subconsciously copying people's facial expressions - by making the face, your movements send signals to appropriate parts of the brain and you actually feel what the other person is feeling. You also copy people's voices and their gestures and expressions etc more the more you like the person. In experiments on mood they actually get people to make sad or happy faces to induce mood.
Interestingly in stroke patients Drs etc sometimes move around limbs that have lost movement for the patient in order to trigger the part of the brain involved back into action again. I was talking to this guy about a book he read on 'how to be happy in 8 minutes" and it said you should make a happy face, pressure the front of the roof of your mouth with your tongue and tap on your sternum (releases 't-cells') Try doing this all at once...I am getting way off track now.

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: People Collect Personalities. [Re: Joshua]
    #1287820 - 02/07/03 08:11 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Although those two posts do deal with the same concept, this post takes it a bit further. I'm saying that instead of random people simply affecting our personalities without us having any say in the matter at all, we actually actively seek personalities to add to our own and make friends with the personalities that we think would make our own better.

BTW, I'm glad that you've been posting in this forum more often, Joshua! You are one of the most intelligent folks on these boards, and your contributions definitely add a lot to this place. I hope you have time to hang out here more often!

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: People Collect Personalities. [Re: trendal]
    #1287850 - 02/07/03 08:17 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I dig, but I also think that personality can grow without outside interaction. I think the healthy way to live is a mix of personal advancement and interaction with others.

You're unequivocally correct, trendal! I think the part of the personality that grows without outside interraction is the part where originality comes from, which I talked about in my other post. In my opinion, too many people neglect this aspect of themselves. They spend too much time wired into external sources of entertainment and do not spend enough time nurturing the internal.

A good balance between the two is definitely the healthy way to live! I'm really glad you have been posting here more often too, trendal. I've really liked a lot of things you've had to say!

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: People Collect Personalities. [Re: the universe]
    #1288031 - 02/07/03 09:21 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I totally dig it man. I notice that I always pick up maneurisms of those I'm kicken it with. Any new friends that I end up spending a lot of time with I end up thinking about their personalities a lot. I also notice that not only do I start to pick up things that my friends do, but they pick up on things I do to. It's intense. I never thought of it the way you just put it though.

SAME HERE!  :shocked:

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #1288128 - 02/07/03 09:57 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I agree with you.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: BLC - I Don't Wanna Go

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1288510 - 02/07/03 12:32 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

"Everyone you interract with has some sort of impact on your personality, and our personalities are completely created by other people."

I don't know about that..... Who decides which parts of who's personalities we do what with??

Everybody's personality is their own configuration of the collective pool. Many people throw in their own original things, it would seem: Otherwise, there would only have ever been one type of personality and everybody would act the same.

It seems to me that we all have our own personality - it is simply distorted by everybody else's and the fact that we have to communicate and "connect" with other people - in order to really connect with people well, you kind of have to tap into their personality and share their vibe.. Rarely do our true pure personalities come through, and I'm afraid it will only get worse with the media somehow STILL growing and assimilating millions of kids every day.

lol sorry to argue your point again.. :smile: Peace man

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
Re: People Collect Personalities. [Re: enotake2]
    #1288768 - 02/07/03 01:56 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Given that you subconsciously copy people's facial expressions, it is interesting that people who are married grow to look like each other over the years. Maybe they form wrinkles in the same places etc

Strumpling - maybe people who watch television pick up the personalities of people on television.

I was thinking that emotions determine how your personality is expressed - eg. being happy makes you more carefree and spontaneous and being depressed makes you more negative and irritable. You might get depressed from one off interactions with persons Eg. failing at a series of job interviews, which could hardly be due to picking up the personality of the interviewers as you only interacted with them once. But then the depression can be because of picking up other peoples attribution styles ie people from your past- attributions of personal fault - permanence - things wont change, etc.
I think your perception ofother people's personality styles will necessarily determine what aspects of their personality you pick up (because poeple see different traits differently eg. gregarious could be seen as loud and obnoxious by someone else) though maybe those judgements are molded by your interactions too. I think social interation definately shapes you to some degree. Though if you believe in free will, there has got to be some room for creativity/originality and self determination also.

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: People Collect Personalities. [Re: enotake2]
    #1289065 - 02/07/03 03:55 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

"Strumpling - maybe people who watch television pick up the personalities of people on television."

That's right - their own personal personality (hehe that sounds weird.. "personal personality") gets altered by everybody else's.

What I mean is that your personality is mostly yours; its also crowded with other people who have "rubbed off" on you as well, though, partially sheilding parts of your self-programmed personality.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology