Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Is Life after Death for real? [Re: World Spirit]
    #1286467 - 02/06/03 05:39 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

So how do you know your prayers are doing anything?

Is it because they come true when they're actually realistic prayers that you follow-through with yourself?

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Is Life after Death for real? [Re: stoner2002]
    #1286478 - 02/06/03 05:42 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Don't worry about life after death, YOU'LL BE DEAD!

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Is Life after Death for real? [Re: Strumpling]
    #1286632 - 02/06/03 06:22 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Deleted by admin

Offlinehongomon
old hand
Loc: comin' at ya
    #1286647 - 02/06/03 06:24 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

What awaits beyond death is the great unknowable, otherwise known as the GU. Actually I just invented that.

I was once taught, in a religious setting, that hope could lead to belief could lead to knowledge. So if I hope there is an afterlife I can come to believe it and then to know it for myself. This now seems completely illogical to me.

But I take heart in the thought that whether there is more after this life or not--my actions, my choices, while here, should be the same. What brings peace here would bring peace "there."

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #1286736 - 02/06/03 06:59 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

How can you experience nothing if you are dead? Experience is a factor of conscious thought. Either you are dead and it won't matter much, you are in heaven and happy, or are in hell and burning for eternity.

I think the concept of heaven and hell are simply out there to encourage people to live a life in which they contribute to the lives around them in a positive manner. This positive manner is measured by creating the greatest happiness amongst the people.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Offlinehongomon
old hand
Loc: comin' at ya
Re: Is Life after Death for real? [Re: Joshua]
    #1286795 - 02/06/03 07:10 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Joshua:
This positive manner is measured by creating the greatest happiness amongst the people.

Despite the difficulties measuring this, very nicely put.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Is Life after Death for real? [Re: World Spirit]
    #1286903 - 02/06/03 08:16 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

You're distancing yourself from nature if you think you have to go through "God" to think such thoughts.

and why are you giving "God" all the credit when it's YOU who's responsible for all this?

EDIT (Addition) OK I'm done with these Enter conversations.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Edited by Strumpling (02/06/03 08:29 PM)

InvisibleCracka_X
Spiritual Dirt Worshipper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Swamp
    #1286926 - 02/06/03 08:28 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Well dude, yes it would suck tremendously to have something like not being resurrected after death. Personally, I think when we're dead, we're dead. Its a part of nature. If I were to die right this instance, YES, I'd be pretty damn disappointed. But the fact that we all die sooner or later and the factor of it could be fate just makes it seem natural. You can worry bout dying all you want, it'll prolly drive you nuts if you do it too much, it kinda got to me, but then I got over it and came to this conclusion.

EVERYBODY only has one life to live. So while you're living that life you might as well LIVE IT. Do everything you want to do, see the world, take chances with women, and so on. GG ALLIN is a perfect example of a man who lived his life. GG died in his 30's. What GG ALLIN did in ONE YEAR was the equivilent to what 100 people did their whole life time. That is fucking living, but he was crazy, but a hero(very sick one) but a badass nevertheless.

Just live your life day to day and don't waste it b/c sooner or later you'll be old

I hope what I said helped,
Cracka_X

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
    #1287114 - 02/06/03 11:57 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I think it unlikely that the mystics belonging to all of the universal religions have all been wrong, and only the materialists are right. Materialism is a fairly recent perception anyway.

There is nothing to be afraid of if the experience of death is like losing consciousness in sleep of anaesthesia. It is a deeper concern or fear, buried in the deep unconscious that death leads not to mere cessation, but to 'Something Else.' The anxiety is about just what the nature of that Something Else might be. To complicate things, the state of being that one is in when one dies - not just the thoughts and feeling at the moment, but one's established moral constitution - is THE determining factor of which Realm one finds oneself.

It is obviously true that our existential person of mind-body composite perishes, and the Christian message about the imperative to Love, is based on the assertion that the Divine Nature is Love (1 John 4:8). Only God can dwell in God, so essentially, only our Love passes into God. The degree that we identify ourselves with being Love not only 'dispels all fear,' as the Good Book says, it also makes us aware of Eternal Life (not immortality or life-after-death). Eternal Life is experienced in pure Love, even here and now. It alone survives the experience of death. We must Love consciously, meditate on Love (Agape/Compassion), identify with Love because our [Eternal] Life depends upon it. Of course...this is ONE take on the subject - mystical Christianity, so the choice will be yours ultimately.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineDemon
A Drug AgainstWar

Loc: j00/2 m07h3/2
    #1287187 - 02/07/03 01:28 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I thought to myself, what if religions only purpose is to protect humanity from the fear of death?

As if it's not?  :grin:  :tongue:  :laugh: 

--------------------
"Sex is like a gun.. you aim, you shoot, you run" - Aerosmith

Come visit SacredShrooms.org!

Offlinestoner2002
Stoner

Re: Is Life after Death for real? [Re: Demon]
    #1288550 - 02/07/03 10:46 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Interesting.

OfflineViking
"I've beenworking on myrr..rou..routine!"

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #1300410 - 02/11/03 03:13 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

To me, this argument boils down to two possibilities. 

1.) Our "soul" is a collection of electric signals in our brain.  When we die, the conductor of those signals (our brain) dies, the signals stop shooting, and we break down...just like a TV that is unplugged.

2.) Our soul is something tangible...something currently unexplained in the laws of physics, electricity and human physiology.  When we die, this "something" goes somewhere.

I personally lean towards #2.  I think our soul is more than electricity...I think it is a form of energy that we currently cannot perceive with our 5 senses.  Our reality is based on sight, sound, touch, taste and smell.  I think we'd be very naive to assume some greater energy doesn't exist just because our 5 senses can't detect it.  We didn't think radiowaves existed until we built machines to detect them.  I do think this energy abides by universal energy laws though....1.) Energy cannot be created or destroyed, simply transferred and 2.) Energy tries to stay in its current form.  Believing this, I think our soul stays intact, but goes somewhere.

Think of it this way.  For every grain of sand on earth, there are a million stars.  We live on a tiny planet revolving around ONE of those stars.  We are tiny, miniscule creatures living on that planet, limited by our 5 senses.  How can we possibly have any fucking idea of what the story is?  I liken it to a bacterium on a petri dish in a lab thinking he knows what's going on.  He knows little about the lab, nothing about the building the lab is contained in....and has no idea about the motives of the scientist...the guy who put him there. 

I hope to one day meet "the scientist", and maybe take a tour of the lab :smile:

Viking

OfflineViking

#1300411 - 02/11/03 03:13 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

double post

Viking

Edited by Viking (02/11/03 03:23 PM)

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #1300635 - 02/11/03 04:47 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

For those of you who are truly serious about this subject....I recommend you read one of Sylvia Browne's many books, "Life on The Other Side"....This is an amazing book...If you like John Edward from "Crossing Over", You will love this book....Sylvia Browne has the same gifts as John Edward, but to a higher degree....She is on Montel Williams every wednesday of this month Febuary....Please do check her books out =)

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Is Life after Death for real? [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #1300645 - 02/11/03 04:51 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Please don't mention such charlatans again... their names alone bring me indigestion.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleMeat_Log_Smurf
FumbDuck

Loc: BFE
Re: Is Life after Death for real? [Re: Viking]
    #1300654 - 02/11/03 04:57 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

well said Viking well said

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #1300659 - 02/11/03 05:00 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

The "soul" is nothing more than a process. A light is on until the current is shut off.

The true beauty of life is that it ends. Quit being egocentric and accept that.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleTeragon
Noddy

Loc: Lost in the Patterns
    #1302476 - 02/12/03 10:57 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I think our soul is more than electricity...I think it is a form of energy that we currently cannot perceive with our 5 senses.  Our reality is based on sight, sound, touch, taste and smell.  I think we'd be very naive to assume some greater energy doesn't exist just because our 5 senses can't detect it.

Oh, how true...now consider the possibility of more dimensions than just your three spacial ones and that fourth dimension "time." If this were true, (and I'd say I'm 99.999% positive that it is) then the possibility of our soul being real increases dramatically. You made some excellent points and I just wanted to show how very feasible your second explanation could be with multidimensions that our brain can't perceive.  Just some more wood on the fire...by the way, great post. :grin:

Peace and Love
Andrew 

--------------------
need that cash to feed them jones.

OfflineViking

Re: Is Life after Death for real? [Re: Sclorch]
    #1302913 - 02/12/03 01:48 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I take it you subscribe to my first definition of what a soul is.  If it was nothing more than a collection of electric signals, then you're absolutely right...machines break down and the signals cease to exist.

I personally think our souls are of a higher order than that.  Either they assumed that higher order the moment we were born, or our early thoughts (electric signals) formed them...until at one point our soul became a self aware organism (a la SkyNet in Terminator :smile: ).  Regardless of their method of inception, I believe they exist after our physical bodies wither away and die.  There is more to mankind then eat, fuck, die.  The theory of natural selection would have you believe our main goal in life is to propogate our species, after which we rot away.  While I do believe in natural selection, there are several holes in the theory.  Yes, we multiply, we adapt, and the strongest of us pass on our genes to the next generation.  What Darwin couldn't answer is WHY organisms do that.  If all we are are eating, fucking machines that die, why the constant need to propogate our species? 

There is something more to our existence.  There is no way we formed from lightning striking random molecules...no way in hell.  This is the current evolutionary theory as to how life started.  Think about the odds of a bolt of lightning striking random matter until an amino acid is formed.  Then the odds of lighting striking that particular amino acid until another is formed.  Then lightning striking again and again until that forms a protein strand.  We are organisms with TRILLIONS of cells working in sync...countless strands of protein...I refuse to believe we came from lightning.  Something greater than us wants us here, I have no doubt about that.  I don't believe that something will let our souls vanish into nothingness. 

I don't believe we got to heaven or hell.  We wouldn't serve much purpose on the grand scale of things "chilling out" and doing whatever we like to do best.  Maybe our souls go to another dimension...maybe they're recycled...who knows?  I just believe they go on...long after our corpses are worm food.

Viking

Quote:

The "soul" is nothing more than a process.  A light is on until the current is shut off.

The true beauty of life is that it ends.  Quit being egocentric and accept that. 

InvisibleLakefingers

Loc: mumuland
Re: Is Life after Death for real? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #21014600 - 12/22/14 10:25 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
I think it unlikely that the mystics belonging to all of the universal religions have all been wrong, and only the materialists are right. Materialism is a fairly recent perception anyway.

I assume you're talking about major world religions? It's somewhat inconvenient to your claim then, that there are so many "universal religions" and their dogmas are so different.

Since materialism is wrong because it is "fairly recent" and because age clearly gives a worldview more credibility, then obviously it's much more unlikely that the earliest Hominid religions are wrong and only monotheists are right. Monotheism is a fairly recent "perception" anyway, so let us return to Neanderthal religion.

Also, materialism is not a perception, but a name for a metaphysical perspective based on evidence and rational claims. Whereas religion is a theological perspective and a way of life based on things like you argue for, that is: being comparatively old.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies