Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedanstice
Information Sponge
Male

Loc: Here
Re: How likely is the average newbie grower to fail when delving into Teks past PF from the get go? [Re: Tesla]
    #12856222 - 07/06/10 12:18 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

If you are going to do mono tubs, a pressure cooker will be a necessity. You will have to sterilize grain jars (they cannot be pasteurized). Inoculate them, then spawn to a bulk substrate after they are 100% colonized. For ease, I'd suggest Damion5050's "Elementary Coir Tek" for the bulk substrate.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTesla
VP of Wilfred Brimley Fanclub

Re: How likely is the average newbie grower to fail when delving into Teks past PF from the get go? [Re: danstice]
    #12856299 - 07/06/10 12:33 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Thank you. Sounds kind of overwhelming. Didn't realize it was that much harder heh.

Offlinedanstice
Information Sponge
Male

Loc: Here
Re: How likely is the average newbie grower to fail when delving into Teks past PF from the get go? [Re: Tesla]
    #12856427 - 07/06/10 12:55 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

It really isn't to difficult of a process, but it is a bit hard to grasp at first. All the terminology can be confusing. After you do it once, all of these posts you read will make a lot more sense. Good luck!

OfflineShroomHunting
Starting fresh
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Re: How likely is the average newbie grower to fail when delving into Teks past PF from the get go? [Re: danstice]
    #12857289 - 07/06/10 04:03 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Just invest in a pressure cooker. it may not be NECESSARY to grow mushroom, but i would consider it a must to be successful in this hobby... and just buy the 23 quart if you can figure out how to pay for it, you will be glad you did in the end. That was the best advice i got when i started this hobby.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #12857668 - 07/06/10 05:08 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

> WHat is so foolish about skipping an outdated procedure and moving towards simpler and more productive ways of growing.

PF tek is not outdated.  It's a simple, cheap, nearly foolproof growing method.  What you learn is applicable to all types of growing.

Most noobs skip it because they get overly concerned with yields before they even know what they're talking about.  PF tek has about the highest BE and you'll get plenty of fruits.  A dozen PF jars should easily provide enough for a couple people for a month or longer.

Unless you want to produce more than you and a couple friends need there's really no reason to do anything but PF grows.

So ease of growing, yields, difficulty, and cost are not an issue.  There's just no reason to skip it.  I don't know of any hobby where it's a good idea to skip straight to the more difficult parts. 

Even if it's not that much more risky or difficult you still start with the basics.  If you want to learn gardening you don't start with orchids and tropical plants, learn to grow common houseplants and garden vegetables first.  If you want to learn about fish you don't start with poisonous, tropical, or even salt water fish.  You learn with guppies and goldfish, make sure your tank is set up right, filtration is good enough, heating works right and you can get the right temperature, etc., etc..

This hobby is cheap enough that you can start several methods at once or you can scale up easy methods cheaply.  There's just no reason to skip the basics.  You miss out on some learning, don't get to test your setup and skills for cheap, and you risk failure with no idea what went wrong.

Countless noobs have failed by skipping the easy parts for no reason.  Just knowing what things are supposed to look/smell like is invaluable.  Scores of noobs post here every day asking if this or that is OK, is this contaminated, how long does this take, etc., etc., etc..  Just do the easy, foolproof method and you won't have to ask those questions because you'll know at least the basics of what you're doing. 

-FF

Invisibleambargh
 User Gallery

Re: How likely is the average newbie grower to fail when delving into Teks past PF from the get go? [Re: fastfred]
    #12857790 - 07/06/10 05:29 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

you will fail. more than once, more times than you can even think right now. But don't be a little girl about it and keep at it. That's the only way anything is worth anything in this life.

edit - I have personally never done the PF tek and went straight to bulk. And after a couple let-downs I eventually pulled-through. here I am a year later with a lot more understanding of how it works and also a shit ton of mushrooms I almost have no idea what to do with.

:feelsgoodman:

Edited by ambargh (07/06/10 05:34 PM)

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: How likely is the average newbie grower to fail when delving into Teks past PF from the get go? [Re: ambargh]
    #12858096 - 07/06/10 06:19 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Ambargh, you should go back and tag second base. Learn pf tek for all the reasons fred said.
And one more reason; lots of different species grow on pf cakes.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Invisibleambargh
 User Gallery

Re: How likely is the average newbie grower to fail when delving into Teks past PF from the get go? [Re: Doc_T]
    #12858176 - 07/06/10 06:31 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

yeah I've been thinking about it - I have some half pint jars. All I gotta do is pick up some BRF...

:jah:

--------------------
"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.." - Douglas Adams

ambargh's easy agar

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How likely is the average newbie grower to fail when delving into Teks past PF from the get go? [Re: fastfred]
    #12858242 - 07/06/10 06:43 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

fastfred said:
> WHat is so foolish about skipping an outdated procedure and moving towards simpler and more productive ways of growing.

PF tek is not outdated.  It's a simple, cheap, nearly foolproof growing method.  What you learn is applicable to all types of growing.

Most noobs skip it because they get overly concerned with yields before they even know what they're talking about.  PF tek has about the highest BE and you'll get plenty of fruits.  A dozen PF jars should easily provide enough for a couple people for a month or longer.

Unless you want to produce more than you and a couple friends need there's really no reason to do anything but PF grows.

So ease of growing, yields, difficulty, and cost are not an issue.  There's just no reason to skip it.  I don't know of any hobby where it's a good idea to skip straight to the more difficult parts. 

Even if it's not that much more risky or difficult you still start with the basics.  If you want to learn gardening you don't start with orchids and tropical plants, learn to grow common houseplants and garden vegetables first.  If you want to learn about fish you don't start with poisonous, tropical, or even salt water fish.  You learn with guppies and goldfish, make sure your tank is set up right, filtration is good enough, heating works right and you can get the right temperature, etc., etc..

This hobby is cheap enough that you can start several methods at once or you can scale up easy methods cheaply.  There's just no reason to skip the basics.  You miss out on some learning, don't get to test your setup and skills for cheap, and you risk failure with no idea what went wrong.

Countless noobs have failed by skipping the easy parts for no reason.  Just knowing what things are supposed to look/smell like is invaluable.  Scores of noobs post here every day asking if this or that is OK, is this contaminated, how long does this take, etc., etc., etc..  Just do the easy, foolproof method and you won't have to ask those questions because you'll know at least the basics of what you're doing. 

-FF

Very sound advice!:yesnod:

:vaped:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Invisibleabltsandwich
JFK = Jelly Donut
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dildoville Flag
Re: How likely is the average newbie grower to fail when delving into Teks past PF from the get go? [Re: Bahaga]
    #12858422 - 07/06/10 07:15 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I only have a vague idea of how to grow via PF Tek.  I started with monotubs and liquid cultures, and haven't looked back.  Haven't had a failure yet, and nothing but rave reviews.  I feel that I understand the principles of how and why teks work and just combined what I felt was best.  Even started with my own bulk sub recipe and monotub design.  I'm not claiming to have innovated new shit, just took the principles learned from reading many many grow logs here and applied them.  RR's rye berry tek is perfect, so I say use that.

Just read read read!

PS, here are some links I found extremely helpful in my journey straight to bulk:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10628004
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10636495
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Forum2&Number=4141612&fpart=1&PHPSESSID=97e70afd5afc35694d5e904dc5edf18f

I found these to be very procedurally helpful:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11047902
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6187358#6187358
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/9289857/an/0/page/0

Edited by abltsandwich (07/06/10 07:25 PM)

OfflineTesla
VP of Wilfred Brimley Fanclub

Re: How likely is the average newbie grower to fail when delving into Teks past PF from the get go? [Re: abltsandwich]
    #12859334 - 07/06/10 10:11 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Fred just sold me on simple PF.

I'm  a martial artist and a patron of literary arts that can't enjoy my loves for life sober and hardly even with 2 and a half grams of fastly ingested dank in my system.

If PF jars are sufficient to sustain my consistant solitary enjoyment of art than if nothing else its a safe bet and something simple enough Ill be able to benefit from intelectualy to eventually turn my love for intoxication into an art itself.

With that  said if any of you have any pro tips to avoid contam in fluctuating heat enviroments and humidities even with PF I'd greatly appreciate it.

Offlineclosetgrown
Gamer

Re: How likely is the average newbie grower to fail when delving into Teks past PF from the get go? [Re: abltsandwich]
    #12859349 - 07/06/10 10:14 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I suppose I just dove right into this hobby. I started off purchasing a 20-qt Presto PC and went with Wild Bird Seed.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5278987#Post5278987

I used this Tek with great success. I've got Mono and Mini-Mono tubs in the works right now, I think I finally have my G2G technique down :grin:

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #12859733 - 07/06/10 11:24 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Tesla said:
if any of you have any pro tips to avoid contam in fluctuating heat enviroments and humidities even with PF I'd greatly appreciate it.

the shotgun is just about as easy as it gets if you are going to be around to mist daily.

:vaped:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

OfflineOwce
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: How likely is the average newbie grower to fail when delving into Teks past PF from the get go? [Re: george castanza]
    #12860160 - 07/07/10 01:22 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

If you are going to do a pf tek, I suggest doing a glc, so you will have more inoculate for later. That if you have a pc. Or honey lc if you don't.
Also why not starting with cakes and doing some grain trays while waiting?

Offlinepunkrocker292004
i am a liar
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: How likely is the average newbie grower to fail when delving into Teks past PF from the get go? [Re: Owce]
    #12860302 - 07/07/10 02:27 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

you wont technically get more yeild the pf tek but monos are easy as fuck and can flush alot more then pf tek as long as there r no contams i use coir verm coffee and gypsom

--------------------
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW

on a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero-tyler durden

watch me

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #12860673 - 07/07/10 06:10 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Tesla said:
tips to avoid contam in fluctuating heat enviroments and humidities even with PF I'd greatly appreciate it.

Contams don't come from environmental variance. Contams are introduced by the grower's dirty hands.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Offlinepluutoni
psybient

Re: How likely is the average newbie grower to fail when delving into Teks past PF from the get go? [Re: Doc_T]
    #12861021 - 07/07/10 09:06 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

go grain, inoculate with sterile procedure using a viable spore syringe and you will be able to transition into bulk easier...imho this is as sure safe as pf tek if you keep it simple

OfflineKevin_X2
Clyde Frog
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #12861079 - 07/07/10 09:27 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I think it boils down to how much you want. If your in it for science, do whatever. If you want a few ounces every once and a wile, keep the PF tek going steady. this is what i do, and it works great if you wanna trip every couple weeks with a few friends.

If you want to go further (likely for distribution, or else i worry for your sanity) then you should go bulk. Theres no point in doing the PF tek if your going to sell it all off. You will maybe end up a couple hundred dollars in the green, which isnt worth all the time it takes.

If you want personal (i can usually squeez 4 ounces out of 12 jars), do the PF tek. More then enough zoomz, simple quick procedure. cant go wrong really.

--------------------
"the path to knighthood is paved with strength and nobility, not LSD and sideburns"

:paperairplane:  :shroomeryhead:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag