Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleChibboleth
Delayed pinning, humidity concerns
    #1283929 - 02/06/03 05:24 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I birthed a cake last week, after a very quick colonization period (it had full outside coverage of the jar in 9 days, so I birthed it after 16). This cake has yet to pin. I am, understandably, concerned.

When there were no pins on the cake by the middle of the fifth day, I cold-dunked it for 24 hours and put it back in the fruiting chamber. It is now the middle of the second day since I've done that, still no pins... but more to the point, I went ahead and felt the cake, and it feels dry as a bone. I am beginning to seriously wonder if the humidity is high enough. How is the actual cake supposed to feel while it's fruiting?

The fruiting chamber is being humidified by perlite and heated by an aquarium heater underneath the box. Even though my thermometer claims it's holding steady at about 77 degrees in there, and there's always water droplets covering the inside of the chamber walls, when I put my hand in to feel the air inside it just doesn't feel particularly warm and humid. I don't have a hygrometer and don't really have money to get one - is there some cheapo way to tell if it's humid enough? Or is there some way to get a hygrometer at walmart for $15 that I don't know about?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Delayed pinning, humidity concerns [Re: Chibboleth]
    #1283944 - 02/06/03 05:32 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

You are much too impatient.
Sit down and relax and let the mushrooms grow.
They won?t emerge if you are watching, you know? :wink: 

Offlinefugu
Pooh-Bah

Loc: istanbul
    #1283949 - 02/06/03 05:33 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

salt test

--------------------
mushroom culture history making ...Mr. Allan is the best .....

Offlineshroominbloom
i have arrived

#1283961 - 02/06/03 05:36 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I have had great success keeping my temperatures a bit lower, say around 72-74*F. I would say try to do this, since it might also help you out with your humidity (less heat=less humidity sucked out of the air). Read the FAQ about perlite, as you may not have it set up completely right. There is a certain way to do it to make sure that you have maximum efficiency. You can find a hygrometer at a pet store for under $15 (reptile section) . . . it will be analog and largely inaccurate, but you could do the salt test, and at least it will give you an idea of your humidity. Lastly, and most importantly . . . RELAX! This is one of the hardest things to do in this hobby, but there is a direct connection between patience and success. Basically patience=success. You haven't necessarily done anything wrong by cold dunking, but I'd say the quickest you will see pins after that is 3 days minimum . . . and really, it could be 10! You just have to relax and keep the faith . . . fan 3-4 times a day (or more if you can) and be patient. Your patience will be rewarded tenfold when you see your first pin!!

--------------------
ha

InvisibleChibboleth
Re: Delayed pinning, humidity concerns [Re: shroominbloom]
    #1285054 - 02/06/03 10:41 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I'm mostly getting impatient and concerned because this is my second growing attempt, and my last attempt pinned a lot faster than this.

But mostly... should a cake actually feel dry to the touch? I haven't been able to find any reference to what they're supposed to feel like when in good condition. And what's the salt test?

Offlinefugu
Pooh-Bah

#1285124 - 02/06/03 10:55 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

there are lots of post about
"how can i eat my cake"
"is it possible to eat a cake"
"if i eat a cake what happens"
"how many cake do i have to eat"
"how do i increase my yields"
"do i make junk with m cakes"

bla bla bla.
look at them.

--------------------

Offlineshroominbloom
i have arrived

#1285195 - 02/06/03 11:16 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, I hear you on the comparative pinning times. Just remember, nature gives us great things, but she's also whimsical and unpredictable. As far as dry cakes . . . I wish that I could answer you, but I don't think that I'm qualified to give you an answer. In my experience (which is limited), however, when a cake started feeling dry, it pinned a short time afterward and everything was ok. I think all you can do is keep the humidity up. You could dunk again, but this will delay your pins even further. I'd say just keep doing what you're doing (providing air exchange and keeping humidity up) and it will pin and the pins will mature. Then you can dunk it for another 24 hrs and it'll be set to go again.

The salt test is here . Hope this helps you out, and good luck with everything!

--------------------
ha

Offlinefugu
Pooh-Bah

Re: Delayed pinning, humidity concerns [Re: shroominbloom]
    #1285209 - 02/06/03 11:21 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

thanks shroom.you are my best.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates