Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation is turned off.
Trusted Cultivator
Portobello. Agar Culture From fungus_tao to Quart sized Rye Berry Jars. Jars
    #12849713 - 07/04/10 10:34 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Title says it again.

Agar wedges were dropped into sterile rye grain jars.
In front of a flow hood.

I prepared my rye berries using this rye berry preparation technique.
Preparing Rye Grains/Berries for Sterilization in Your Pressure Cooker!

A look at the mycelium.
Growing from the agar wedge.

Out onto and into the rye berrys.

:super:

HL

--------------------

How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleteknix
π“‚€βŸπ“…’π“π“…ƒπ“Š°π“‰‘ 𓁼𓆗⨻
 User Gallery

Re: Portobello. Agar Culture From fungus_tao to Quart sized Rye Berry Jars. Jars [Re: hamloaf]
    #12849732 - 07/04/10 10:39 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

How come you leave the wedge on top?

Goodluck with grow :thumbup:

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Portobello. Agar Culture From fungus_tao to Quart sized Rye Berry Jars. Jars [Re: teknix]
    #12849856 - 07/04/10 11:21 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

This is how I have always.
Inoculated rye berries with agar wedges.

I either read it somewhere.
Or was taught to do it this way.

Honestly I can't remember.

For a more definitive answer.
Check out what RR suggested to me.

When I asked him how.
He inoculated BRF cakes with agar wedges.

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/12778961#12778961
HL

--------------------

Invisibleteknix
π“‚€βŸπ“…’π“π“…ƒπ“Š°π“‰‘ 𓁼𓆗⨻
 User Gallery

Re: Portobello. Agar Culture From fungus_tao to Quart sized Rye Berry Jars. Jars [Re: hamloaf]
    #12849932 - 07/04/10 11:44 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Maybe a side experiment?

Offlinepunkin
Friend of a Friend Who seems OK
Male

Loc: Northern NSW Orstrayllya Flag
Re: Portobello. Agar Culture From fungus_tao to Quart sized Rye Berry Jars. Jars [Re: teknix]
    #12850411 - 07/05/10 03:19 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Looks more like a slice of pizza than a wedge.:thumbup:

That's fukin ginormous (or tiny little scale jars:laugh:)

--------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offlinefungus_tao
Hah Zah!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #12850660 - 07/05/10 06:53 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

When I drop agar wedges in I leave it where it lands for a day or two to let it recover, then shake, and shake again at 30%.

Good luck Ham. Reminds me I need to update my grow logs.

Tao

--------------------
Follow the light
The Light is your guide.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Portobello. Agar Culture From fungus_tao to Quart sized Rye Berry Jars. Jars [Re: fungus_tao]
    #12860991 - 07/07/10 08:56 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I've found the grains colonize faster if you'll leave the agar wedge on top for a few days.  It then spreads into a couple of dozen grains, and these serve as multiple sources of inoculation when you shake.  Shake again of course at around 30% colonization.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinevishal779
Stranger

Re: Portobello. Agar Culture From fungus_tao to Quart sized Rye Berry Jars. Jars [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #12861106 - 07/07/10 09:37 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I have recently dropped wedge like that in Agaricus Bitorquis its taking time but thats mainly due to the hotter climate, thats the way as RR said shake it at 30% colonization.
Vishal.

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Portobello. Agar Culture From fungus_tao to Quart sized Rye Berry Jars. Jars [Re: vishal779]
    #12923944 - 07/20/10 11:20 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Portobello cultures stalled on the grains.  The mycelium grew about 2 centimeters off of the agar in 2 weeks.  Then discontinued to grow.  That sucks!  Oh well.  Sometimes, that's the way the cookie crumbles.  You win some, you lose some.  :smirk:
HL

--------------------

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Berlin Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #12926686 - 07/20/10 07:28 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

That's no bad luck. Most strains of Agaricus bisporus just don't like pure grain. Just add a bit of their favourite substrate next time.

Carsten

Offlinefungus_tao
Hah Zah!
Male User Gallery

Re: Portobello. Agar Culture From fungus_tao to Quart sized Rye Berry Jars. Jars [Re: Mycelio]
    #12926722 - 07/20/10 07:36 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

My port bags also stalled on supplemented coir. I transferred the agar culture to new plates and it crawls at a snails pace. I'm tossing this culture.
Tao

--------------------
Follow the light
The Light is your guide.

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Portobello. Agar Culture From fungus_tao to Quart sized Rye Berry Jars. Jars [Re: Mycelio]
    #12926784 - 07/20/10 07:50 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mycelio said:
That's no bad luck. Most strains of Agaricus bisporus just don't like pure grain. Just add a bit of their favourite substrate next time.

Carsten

Nobody said anything about luck.  This is the first time I have heard Agaricus bisporus doesn't like pure grain.  Care to share the source of your information?  Horse manure?

From my understanding, the reason why the mycelium stalled is due senescence.  Most Agaricus bisporus are specimens cloned from a grocery store.  Commercial Agaricus bisporus cultivators push their culture to the limits to get the most out of them.  Cloned specimens taken from grocery mushrooms have an old cell line.
HL

--------------------

Edited by LiquidMyce (07/20/10 08:09 PM)

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #12926879 - 07/20/10 08:16 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Come on, did you really read something about the cultivation of Agaricus bisporus or did you just try to grow them like cubes?

Adding manure or compost to grain is recommended in a lot of threads here.

And about senescence... this story circulates here, nowhere else. I don't believe supermarkets only sell mushrooms from dieing cultures. My cloned cultures always did fine.

Carsten

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #12926952 - 07/20/10 08:33 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, I tried to grow them like cubes.  How much manure or compost would/do you add to your grain jars by weight/volume?  Also, about senescence, this "story" makes sense to me.  Again, nobody said anything about supermarkets or them "only" selling mushrooms from dieing cultures.

Senescence is a definite possibility with grocery store cultures.  It's not like you are guaranteed a clean viable culture every time you clone a mushroom from a grocery store.  Using grocery store cultures is more like a hit and miss thing. 

These factors, are of coarse, not the fault of the supermarket.  We are talking the fault of the cultivator here.
HL

--------------------

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #12928493 - 07/21/10 05:03 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

20% should be enough. I often use a straw/compost mixture without grain.

Carsten

Offlinefungus_tao
Hah Zah!
Male User Gallery

#12928672 - 07/21/10 06:58 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Cloning a grocery store button mushroom is like cloning a 100 year old man. He might have some breath left in him, but we're talking old cell lines. Grocery stores are in the business of selling food, and lots of it. They don't care if a mycologist can't find young specimens to clone. Ports are grown along side dairy farms by the ton, so yes I believe they push the envelope as far as they reasonably can and still get fruits. Their cultures after all are safely stored in culture slants and they can always go back to young cell lines.

As far as the grain thing goes my culture ran fast on pure grain (white millet), but stalled about 50% of the way through the fruiting sub and now the agar culture moves less than 1/8" a day across the plate. So it's not hard for me to call this senescence.
Tao

--------------------
Follow the light
The Light is your guide.

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Portobello. Agar Culture From fungus_tao to Quart sized Rye Berry Jars. Jars [Re: fungus_tao]
    #12928833 - 07/21/10 08:00 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I can only say I cloned grocery store buttons several times and always got several flushes of mushrooms without problems.

In my experiments, millet also worked better than rye, while the addition of compost or manure always improved growth. On agar you have to find the right type of nutrients to have success.
Your coir substrate might work for shiitake, but for buttons it is not suited at all. They are secondary decomposers and like to grow on compost, where the straw is already partially digested by microbes.

Carsten

Offlinevishal779
Stranger

#12928880 - 07/21/10 08:22 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Hi all,
My agaricus bitorquis myceilium has covered 95% of pure wheat grain but it took around 25 days or so for it.
Carsten can we try to simmer the grains in a manure tea(cow or horse dung), will that put some nutrients required for agaricus myceilium?
Cheers:)
Vishal.

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Portobello. Agar Culture From fungus_tao to Quart sized Rye Berry Jars. Jars [Re: vishal779]
    #12928948 - 07/21/10 08:42 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Hi Vishal,

yes that should work. I would soak the dry kernels in manure tea and then simmer.

By soaking in manure tea I could even use corrugated cardboard for cloning buttons, while on watered cardboard the mycelium always stalled and died after a while.

Carsten

Offlinevishal779
Stranger

#12933808 - 07/22/10 01:55 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Hi Carsten,
Thanks for the advice, a little silly question how much manure(horse/dung) in grams we should put in a 1 liter water for making a manure tea. I suppose 50 to 100 gms would be enough. How long to boil it and the dung should be fresh(8 to 10 days old) or it should be rotten one..
Anyways Thanks again for giving us such cheaper and valuable proven ideas.
Cheers:)
Vishal.

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #12934105 - 07/22/10 05:31 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

No problem, I'm glad if I can help.

I used about 10 teaspoons per liter, though more should not hurt. It was boiled on low heat for a few minutes. Unfortunately I have no idea, if that horse manure was fresh or composted, but I'd expect both to work.

Carsten

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale