Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelivelovelaugh
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Penicillin IN shrooms?
    #12849388 - 07/04/10 09:12 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I am eager to try shrooms, but the only thing preventing me from doing so is my fairly serious penicillin allergy. Some people tell me that there is penicillin in them and I shouldn't do them. But others tell me the opposite; that there is no penicillin in shrooms.

I heard about this site from a friend, and decided to do my research. Basically, from my understanding, there is no penicillin IN shrooms, but it is possible for it to grow ON them. Therefore you would be able to see the penicillin mould and would know not to eat em. Either that, or the mould kills the shrooms. 

My boyfriend is growing his own and assures me that we'd be able to see the mould so I shouldn't worry about having an allergic reaction to it and a) die. or b) trip ballllllls, thinking ill die. Because it won't happen.

LOL, is this all true? Basically just want to make sure that penicillin/penicillin mould does not exist IN the actual mushroom, just the outside.

THANKS!

Edited by livelovelaugh (07/04/10 09:35 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleninja cat 09
A paranoid android
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mexico Flag
Re: Penicillin IN shrooms? [Re: livelovelaugh]
    #12849504 - 07/04/10 09:37 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Penicillin is a fungus in itself, so no, it would not be in the mushrooms unless they were left wet for days exposed to penicillin spores or the sub got contaminated (the infection doesn't spread to the shrooms themselves) in which case it would be tossed out.

--------------------
             :crazykitty:

InvisibleJanamil

Re: Penicillin IN shrooms? [Re: ninja cat 09]
    #12849881 - 07/04/10 11:29 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ninja cat 09 said:
Penicillin is a fungus in itself, so no, it would not be in the mushrooms unless they were left wet for days exposed to penicillin spores or the sub got contaminated (the infection doesn't spread to the shrooms themselves) in which case it would be tossed out.

It is possible for the substrate to have mold on it, then for the mycelium to devour it causing the mushrooms to actually hold the toxins inside the mushrooms even if you cant see the mold. Thats why its important to throw out any contaminated cakes even if the mycelium take over. The mycelium will feed on the infection and in turn ingest the toxins. So if you see anything strange on a cake throw it out. Also just incase have a backup plan incase you go into an allergic reaction. Theres a VERY low chance of it happening but its life threatening and you should be close to a hospital or have one of those.. eppy pins? I guess there called. I dont know much about allergic reactions but it is possible for a mushroom to gain a toxin through something it has devoured and gained nutrients from.

Edited by Janamil (07/04/10 11:32 PM)

OfflineWithinity
Untitled
Male

Loc: Côte d’Ivoire
Re: Penicillin IN shrooms? [Re: Janamil]
    #12849992 - 07/05/10 12:06 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Hey bro, i am allergic to penicillin and i am able to eat shrooms without any problems and or reactions , hope this helped.

InvisibleChinChiller
Male

Re: Penicillin IN shrooms? [Re: Withinity]
    #12850392 - 07/05/10 03:11 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

if the penicillin was in the substrate that would be considered a contam and you would throw out that substrate, so yes it would be possible, but pretty easy to spot. The odds are you will be fine...

OfflineSomeGuy
I feel better now :)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Penicillin IN shrooms? [Re: ChinChiller]
    #12850656 - 07/05/10 06:49 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

penicillium is green when it sporulates and it grows pretty dang fast, so if you have it and don't see it, you didn't look very hard IMO

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate