Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleServantOfBaphomet
StarKitten's Boyfriend
Male User Gallery

Loc: αßπΣσµτΦΘΩδ∞ Flag
PMP, questionable humidity, Reptile hygrometer
    #12835669 - 07/01/10 05:34 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I have a PMP that I am using perlite with. I strained the perlite so I got only the bigger pieces. 2 Inches of standing water with bubble rods, and the perlite comes to almost 4 inches above the standing water. All of the perlite was thoroughly soaked before it was put in.

I have a Petco brand reptile hygrometer that shows only 80% RH. There is not much condensation on the sides of my terrarium. I made a good seal at the top with duct tape, and the holes where the airline runs in are sealed.
Last night, the reptile rig showed 85% humidity, but went down after awhile.

Should I assume this is just an inferior hygrometer? The lid is the type that snaps on, but I've made sure that it seals good when snapped shut.

I'm thinking of buying a digital one at walmart for short-term hygro readings, as I read that the digital ones malfunction after awhile when kept in FCs.

I guess my question is, could the 5 dollar reptile hygrometer actually be so inaccurate as to register 10 to 15 percent lower than the actual humidity. My cakes are in desperate need of birthing, so I don't really have time to order one now.

Will any of the ones at Wal-mart register correctly when used for a short-term period?

Thanks in advance, guys.

--------------------
Do what thou Wilt shall be the Whole of the Law
Love is the Law. Love under Will

Hail Eris! All Hail Discordia!!
The Sovereign Peanut has Spoken!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleteknix
𓂀⟁𓅢𓍝𓅃𓊰𓉡 𓁼𓆗⨻
 User Gallery

Re: PMP, questionable humidity, Reptile hygrometer [Re: ServantOfBaphomet]
    #12835705 - 07/01/10 05:41 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Is all the perlite wet?

InvisibleTacoHerder
Bluedavenger
Male User Gallery

#12835710 - 07/01/10 05:42 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

i wouldnt use perlite with a pmp. the perlite will ruin it in a few months. i would just make a shotgun fc for them. if your not getting the 100% rh just attach this to it http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Vaporizers-and-Humidifiers/Travel-Aire-Humidifier/ID=prod6011858-product ; that should work perfect for the shotgun fc.

--------------------
TO ALL CULTIVATORS, EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10899385
We need more member like mycochef, he is truly a kind giving person. Just ask Noobie, mycochef hooked him up big time!
Fastest Cultivation WINNER!!!! NoOneKnowsHowToAct won it twice, must be doing something right:super:

Shoot me a pm if you would like a powerful custom laser built. :smile: 4th pic is a 1.3W 445nm laser burning thru some plastic makeup containers. Yes I was wearing proper safety goggles, otherwise I would be blind right now.

OfflineStainBlue
Da Man
 User Gallery

#12835746 - 07/01/10 05:48 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Those petco ones are garbage. I bought one awhile when I was in a pinch. When I wrapped it in a moist towel it wouldn't go above 80%. You can still use it. However, just remeber that it will not read 100%, so you will have to wrap it in a moist towel for 30 minutes and see what it reads. Whatever it reads at that point is your 100% mark.

Additionally, the digitals from walmart are ok. I've used one before. I think it was like $6.50 or something. I have had it for years and it still works but I don't use it anymore.

Your best bet is to get on ebay and find a good cigar hygrometer. There was a seller on there awhile back that was selling good ones for 5 bucks, with free shipping.

Your petco will hold you over until you can get a good accurate hygrometer.

--------------------
Peace,
StainBlue

InvisibleTacoHerder
Bluedavenger
Male User Gallery

Re: PMP, questionable humidity, Reptile hygrometer [Re: StainBlue]
    #12835761 - 07/01/10 05:50 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

the 3 dollar white one works perfet. never failed me.

--------------------
TO ALL CULTIVATORS, EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10899385
We need more member like mycochef, he is truly a kind giving person. Just ask Noobie, mycochef hooked him up big time!
Fastest Cultivation WINNER!!!! NoOneKnowsHowToAct won it twice, must be doing something right:super:

Shoot me a pm if you would like a powerful custom laser built. :smile: 4th pic is a 1.3W 445nm laser burning thru some plastic makeup containers. Yes I was wearing proper safety goggles, otherwise I would be blind right now.

InvisibleTacoHerder
Bluedavenger
Male User Gallery

Re: PMP, questionable humidity, Reptile hygrometer [Re: TacoHerder]
    #12835794 - 07/01/10 05:57 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

and its not digital... ofcourse. wrapped a damp towel around it and it went up to 100% in minutes.

DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just got a letter for jury duty:facepalm:

--------------------

OfflineNanoid
See lost a seat You bend this
Male

#12835900 - 07/01/10 06:18 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

TacoHerder said:
and its not digital... ofcourse. wrapped a damp towel around it and it went up to 100% in minutes.

lol, just throw it out.  That's what everybody does with them.

--------------------

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Translation ! Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: PMP, questionable humidity, Reptile hygrometer [Re: Nanoid]
    #12835903 - 07/01/10 06:20 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Taco I like that humidifier you posted I wonder if you could some how fasen a hose to it.

InvisibleTacoHerder
Bluedavenger
Male User Gallery

Re: PMP, questionable humidity, Reptile hygrometer [Re: Nanoid]
    #12835906 - 07/01/10 06:20 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

nah, i'd rather not get arrested.

--------------------

InvisibleTacoHerder
Bluedavenger
Male User Gallery

Re: PMP, questionable humidity, Reptile hygrometer [Re: Damion5050]
    #12835913 - 07/01/10 06:22 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Damion5050 said:
Taco I like that humidifier you posted I wonder if you could some how fasen a hose to it.

i forgot who it was, but someone else in AMU uses that one and they posted pictures on how they conttected the hose to it.

--------------------

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Translation ! Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #12835937 - 07/01/10 06:27 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Well if you canfind the pics let me know lol

StarKitten's Boyfriend
Male User Gallery

#12836005 - 07/01/10 06:39 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Hey, thanks everybody for your helpful advice. Thanks from the bottom of my shroomerite heart. I thought I had a real problem there.
(Yes, all the perlite is wet.. I soaked it good before it went in there.)

I wrapped my petco hygro in a very damp wad of paper towels, so that no dry air could get to it. It only went up to 85%. That's what it's reading in my FC right now.

--------------------

InvisibleTacoHerder
Bluedavenger
Male User Gallery

#12836021 - 07/01/10 06:44 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

:super: to keep your pmp lasting longer i would suggest replacing the perlite for these http://www.onestophydro.com/images/25594_GM9_hydroton.jpg

--------------------

StarKitten's Boyfriend
Male User Gallery

#12843700 - 07/03/10 05:24 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

TacoHerder said:

I got that same one from home depot per your recommendation, and with the damp towel & hot shower test, it only goes up to 90%.

However, it is much better at measuring than the cheap fucking petco reptile hygrometer. That thing would measure 40 in the house, 80 in the FC, then a steady 60 in the house, then 85 in the fc.

This new white one from home depot does not fluctuate. It measures 90%(100 actually) in my FC, and stays there unless I open the top.

Thanks everybody for your help.

BTW.. My cakes are 2 weeks consolidated after full col. They've been dunked in a fridge for 24 hours, and rolled in vermiculite. How long should it be for pins to show up?

--------------------

OfflineSomeGuy
I feel better now :)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #12843769 - 07/03/10 06:09 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

if they've been fully colonized for 2 weeks probably a number of days to a week. Next time don't put your dunks in the fridge, it doesn't help anything and actually slows down the whole process by about 2 days

OfflineNanoid
See lost a seat You bend this
Male

#12843780 - 07/03/10 06:13 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

TacoHerder said:
nah, i'd rather not get arrested.

Arrested? Give me a break.  I got a JD thing in the mail maybe a year ago or longer, threw it out without doing anything and haven't heard a peep since.

Most people simply chuck it out without bothering with it.  Hell, my mom has been throwing them out for years.  And she hasn't been arrested yet, and probably never will.

If it does come back to bite you in the ass, just tell them you never got any.  What can they do?  They can't prove you actually received it.  For all they know one of your demented buddies was taking your mail, grabbed your JD slip and burned it.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order