Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleteknix
π“‚€βŸπ“…’π“π“…ƒπ“Š°π“‰‘ 𓁼𓆗⨻
 User Gallery

Informational Interview for Mycologists / Cultivators
    #12824207 - 06/29/10 03:26 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

β€’ Describe a typical day as a (job title in your field)
β€’ Which duties do you enjoy the most? The least?
β€’ Why did you decide to enter this field?
β€’ Do you see this field changing in the future? If so, in what way(s)?
β€’ How do people in this field go about earning promotions?
β€’ What education or training is required for this occupation?
β€’ What personality traits are needed to be successful in this field?
β€’ What salary range could someone in this field expect for entry level?

Feel free to answer or omit whatever.

Edited by teknix (07/01/10 12:07 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewhitelight7
Sr.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington Flag
Re: Informational Interview for Mycologists / Cultivators [Re: teknix]
    #12839984 - 07/02/10 01:34 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Well, I thought I'd give you a reply seeing as it's been a few days and none have responded yet.
Background: I've been growing mushrooms for around 6 yrs now, however, it's mostly just hobby that helps pay for vacations and such... my real world job is more of a fishery eco/evo biologist, so I'm sure you could find some more professional mycos on here to answer but I'll do my best.

1) My mycology work takes up around 3-5 hrs a day 5-7 days a week.  I usually start at night or on weekends when I'm not working on other things.  Agar work and strain isolation take up most of that time because I'm always looking for better growing strains of the 5 or so spp. I cultivate. Selling the edible ones take up the second most time. 

2) I enjoy watching them grow the most:grin:  I also enjoy figuring out the why's of the results when I tweak certain parts of the grow. 

3) Honestly, I entered this field to grow P. cubensis in college for fun and cash and free mushrooms:mushroom2:.  Now, I've expanded to edibles and keep the other grows to fast cash, large but discrete grows.  Basically, I started this for fun knowing it wasn't what I wanted to spend most of my time doing.

4) Skip: I really don't know enough about mycology to say, although a friend is doing some marine mycology work down in Fl and I can tell you as a scientist that science is always changing and what we think impossible or improbable one day has been shown to be the opposite the next.

5) Skip: Self employed.  Although, in my other field in comes down to three things: experience, a degree to match, and impressing your higher ups.

6) I was self taught before I ever found out about this site from reading and talking to a few other farmers.  You would probably want some degree in a micro field.  I can say that working in a micro lab for a few years for some molecular research went a long way in improving my mycology skills even though we primarily worked with bacteria.

7)  Patience, perseverance and being slightly type A.

8) I make around an extra 50K a yr doing this after expenses.

--------------------
Staunch supporter of spontaneous generation:cheers:

Offlineidunno
PinkWebBuffalo
 User Gallery

Re: Informational Interview for Mycologists / Cultivators [Re: whitelight7]
    #12840291 - 07/02/10 02:43 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

hell if i made 50k part time, I wouldn't have a full time job,  just the part time farmers market job selling edibles

--------------------
The death of one man is a tragedy. The death of millions is a statistic..  Josef Stalin

Offlinewhitelight7
Sr.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington Flag
Re: Informational Interview for Mycologists / Cultivators [Re: idunno]
    #12841123 - 07/02/10 05:51 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

yeah, I understand but, like I said, I wouldn't want to sell mushrooms for a living,  enjoy what I do with my "real world job" much more.  I probably should stop cultivating the money makers (:mushroom2:) anyway for safety reasons:shrug:

--------------------
Staunch supporter of spontaneous generation:cheers:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures