Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Laminar Flow Hood, Paul Stamets, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenomez_
The Rev.

Loc: Somewhere over the Pacifi...
Birdseed inoculation method?
    #1283647 - 02/06/03 05:44 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Okay, Ive been reading and Ive pretty much got the birdseed substrate preparation figured out, sort of. Im wondering what method of inoculation of quart jars would be best (for a whole grain virgin). I have enough colonized pf-jars to use one jar per quart and I finally got a pressure cooker so I can properly sterilize them. I have read that one could inoculate with a pf-cake or aprox. 5 cc of spore solution.
Which method would be best? and can you give a description of the process?

Also when using a pf cake, should one decrease the amount of birdseed in the jars?
I read on Annos site there should be like 250ml of millet but if you use a pf cake, wouldnt that make it hard to shake (seeing as how a 1/2 pint pf jar is 1/4 the volume of the quart jar)?

--------------------
--------------------------
Just a Smart Monkey

Edited by nomez_ (02/06/03 06:07 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemikejwill
dreamer

Loc: Midwest,usa
Re: Birdseed inoculation method? [Re: nomez_]
    #1283780 - 02/06/03 06:29 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds like fun!
The cake method will be faster than starting from spores....
but it might be harder to keep sterile.

what do you think about crumbleing the cake? that would make it easier to shake...

This is all experimental, so please don't do anything i suggest :smile:  as it's just to stimulate your mind 

Offlinenomez_
The Rev.

Re: Birdseed inoculation method? [Re: mikejwill]
    #1283794 - 02/06/03 06:34 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, I read that most people, when using a pf-cake, will use a food processor or a blender. I have millet soaking right now, and Im hoping to sterilize them tonight.

--------------------
Just a Smart Monkey

Offlinefugu
Pooh-Bah

Loc: istanbul
    #1283882 - 02/06/03 07:05 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

are you going to use the straw incubation tek at the end of your process.?

--------------------
mushroom culture history making ...Mr. Allan is the best .....

Offlineshroominbloom
i have arrived

#1283987 - 02/06/03 07:53 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I don't want to jack this thread, but as I have a question very close to this, I will post it here. Last night I made some WBS quart jars with this method. About an hour ago, I inoculated them using 1cc of spore solution in each jar. Needless to say, after reading this I'm worried. My thinking was that if one spore is enough to cause the growth of mycelium, and I'm injecting hundreds or thousands of spores, then what I did should be sufficient. I am now anxious, however, to know if 1cc per jar is enough. I guess what's done is done, but I'd really like to be reassured. Thanks a lot!

--------------------
ha

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #1284000 - 02/06/03 07:56 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Either , or , personally I like doing agar issolations . Did you consider learning that method ? As far as usuing a cake to do a grain inoc , just make sure you crumble it up real good , put into the grain , then give a good shaking to spread to good stuff around , put away in nice warm , dark place , when aprox 5% colonized give another good shake , put away , shake again around 25% , wait till 100% colonized , inoc bulk or just case , or expand by doing some G2G transfers with nicest quart jr you produced .
Good Luck

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Birdseed inoculation method? [Re: shroominbloom]
    #1284004 - 02/06/03 07:58 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Are you certain there were spores in just one little drop ? No , that is why it is best to give nice healthy squirt , if real dark syringe , then yes a little tiny bit may do the job .
ps just cause thousands of spores "may" have entered the jar does not mean they are all viable enough to get the job done , it is a natural selection thing ! 1 cc may be enough , do not worry till a month has gone by and nadda has shown , then freak and ask why , and how to prevent it .................give it more juuice ! I think you'll be fine , patience grasshopper !

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Edited by tripndicular (02/06/03 08:02 AM)

Offlineshroominbloom
i have arrived

Re: Birdseed inoculation method? [Re: tripndicular]
    #1284019 - 02/06/03 08:05 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Very true, but 1cc isn't just a drop, it's a fair amount of liquid. I saw many clusters in the syringe (hell yeah TLG) so I'm not too worried about whether or not spores got into the jars . . . you are totally right about natural selection though, thet could be where it all goes wrong. Well anyway, all I can do now is wait and see. The jars are incubating at 83*F so I guess I'll know in 3-5 days. Thanks for the info.

Edit -- Thanks HappyLeftist. That makes me feel a lot better about it. I just thought that 4-5cc's per jar was overkill, so why waste the solution? I could (and I will) easily use it to inoculate more jars in about 2 weeks.

--------------------
ha

Edited by shroominbloom (02/06/03 08:06 AM)

Invisibletripndicular

#1284029 - 02/06/03 08:08 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I know 1cc is more than drop , I was trying to put in words you could relate to quickly , it worked , and you have faith in the vendor , besides they will send you another if you f up ! Just remeber to buy from them again !

--------------------

Offlinefugu
Pooh-Bah

#1284045 - 02/06/03 08:11 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

nomez
birdseed is good when you are using straws.
.in straw teks the most importandd thing is the grain embrace with straw.birdseeds are small.thats why knowledgeable people use birdseed.inoculate more jars as possible for you.i m on that tek.i will give a hand on you when the time has come.

--------------------

Edited by fugu (02/06/03 08:12 AM)

Offlineshroominbloom
i have arrived

#1284052 - 02/06/03 08:14 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, sorry I got defensive. I agree, I will be ordering for TLG exclusively from now on. Well anyway, I'll let you know how it turns out . . . hopefully all will go well!

--------------------
ha

Offlinediggitydankman
No longer aCannabisConnoisseur

Loc: Michgan
    #1284056 - 02/06/03 08:16 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I have pint jars of WBS, that were microwaved for sterilization after they were only left in water for a couple of hours. Some jars recieved 1 cc others only received .3cc to .5cc and every single jars has signs of growth after five days, some are at ~10% colonization, but I am assuming those are the ones with more solution in them. I guess I should have marked them, but then again I really did not think .3cc of solution would work for a whole jar. This is literally a drop or two per side. (Only two innoc points due to small amount of spore solution.)

--------------------
"It's only wrong if you get caught.
If consequences dictate
my course of action
I should play GOD."

Maynard James Keenan, Tool

Invisibletripndicular

#1284061 - 02/06/03 08:17 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I did not get defensive vibe from you , so no sweat !
Good Luck
May The Mushroom Goddess Bless All Your Endeavors !

--------------------

Offlineshroominbloom
i have arrived

Re: Birdseed inoculation method? [Re: diggitydankman]
    #1284072 - 02/06/03 08:21 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Very nice. It's good to hear that you don't need too much solution, although more will speed germination I'm sure. I just wanted to conserve so that I'd have enough solution for another grow. It's like pot: you have a gram for yourself. You could smoke it all at once. You'd get pretty stoned, but you'd have no more left for a bit. On the other hand, you could smoke half of it now, get nice and toasted, and then smoke the rest at some later date. I'll take the 2nd choice any day. Thanks man.

--------------------
ha

Edited by shroominbloom (02/06/03 08:21 AM)

Offlinenomez_
The Rev.

#1284110 - 02/06/03 08:30 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I havent really considered doing agar inoculations, simply because I havent really looked into it yet. Any particular reading you sugest? (I fully intend to read the faqs, search, and the like but none the less...)

--------------------
Just a Smart Monkey

Invisibletripndicular

#1284217 - 02/06/03 08:58 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

The bible ......aka THE MUSHROOM CULTIVATOR , is where got my start from , best investment I have made yet . Not as complicated as most make it out to be . Just requires being ............methodic, attentitive to details , and neat . I have had great luck with no flow hood , no glove box . Just good old elbow grease , lysol , bleach , surgical mask and cap , surgically sterile gloves , no ventilation system running , no extra spectators , no pets ..........etc
Is fun to watch grow from specks of ..........spores , to issolating the best strain you can get .

--------------------

Offlinefugu
Pooh-Bah

#1284351 - 02/06/03 09:35 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

trip sometimes doesnt undestand what he red  .because he is too high :wink:
as  an advice don t stuck on agar preparation texts infos. this is mushroom cultivation .so  .turn around  them. if you want to use agar . they are cheap.buy them.
just an advice one to  whom want some work with agars..also mushmush has got some mpegs and quicktimes.look at them.
yes everything  is simple as you see.
be clean thats all. 

--------------------

Edited by fugu (02/06/03 09:39 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Laminar Flow Hood, Paul Stamets, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation