Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblesolarity
mm... my favourite food
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Trusted Cultivator
First oyster grow - fruiting before fully colonised ?
    #12764709 - 06/18/10 04:40 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

So I finally got my pilot grow set up to see if a commercial operation is viable.

First run through the incubation room of Oysters on un-supplemented pasteurised straw - 4 x 12" dia logs, 2 long and 2 short - basically following GGMM instructions as it is the same strain of Pleur. Ost.

They went in on the 2nd June (16 days ago) - I was not expecting much as the grain spawn was a bit old, but worth a try - spawn ratio was about 5%. Anyway, the logs seemed to start colonising OK now coming up to about 50-60% colonised. The bags are packed reasonably tightly with straw though I do have some gaps - will try harder next time!

Went to have a look today and one of the smaller bags has started fruiting at the top - not just pins but fruit!

Incubation room is held at 24C (74 F),  85-95% humidity, one active air exchange/hr. It is heavily insulated and I use a coil of rope light on the floor, T-stat controlled to provide the heat - GGMM says light not an issue either way during incubation but is it possible it is causing a problem? - It is a pretty low level of light.

The small bag that is fruiting does not look more than 60%-70% to me, should I move it into the fruiting chamber (which is almost finished...)or pick the clusters and leave it in the incubation room, or ... ?

--------------------
Commercial exotics farmer for 8 years - now sold up!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesolarity
mm... my favourite food
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
These oysters have not read GGMM... [Re: solarity]
    #12777190 - 06/21/10 02:52 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

...still in incubation chamber as FC not yet operational, so wrong temp, wrong CO2 level, wrong light level.. picked 2lbs from that small log this morning as I dont want them dropping spores in the incubation chamber.

Cant wait to see these guys go when I get them in the right conditions.

--------------------

Offlinewaixingren
Male User Gallery

Loc: SW Florida
Trusted Cultivator
Re: These oysters have not read GGMM... [Re: solarity]
    #12782045 - 06/21/10 11:18 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

hey solarity, nice oysters there!. those bags look fairly well colonized to me. sometimes the mycelium doesnt colonized the straw pressed against the bag. have the bags colonized more in the last 3 days? i would move them into the fruiting area as soon as you can.

--------------------

Invisiblesolarity
mm... my favourite food
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: These oysters have not read GGMM... [Re: waixingren]
    #12782824 - 06/22/10 02:56 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks, considering the conditions they dont look so bad - taste fine too!

You are spot on, in the last 3 days the bags have really started to look like they are properly colonised. Hopefully should have the FC ready today - though now the other bags have caught up I could throw some proper light in the Incubation room and crank up the FAE if the FC is delayed any more.

--------------------

Invisiblesolarity
mm... my favourite food
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
That's better! [Re: solarity]
    #12818315 - 06/28/10 02:15 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Bags (x4) have been in the FC for 5 days

and I am starting to see some proper pins on one of the bags,

combined with a lovely first proper bouquet (368gr/0.8lbs):

The bags that were fruiting in the Incubation room have not produced anything so far and any pins on them have died back. I have a bit of a problem with temp in that it is (unusually) 30 C (86F) outside and so the FC is at around 16-18 C(64F) when it should be less than 15C (59F). Looking at ways to fix that.

Oh and as per Stamets/GGMM - the first frog has turned up in anticipation of any fly problem I might have, so I will have to add a few clean stones to the FC and find a way of removing him at bleach time!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags