Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleperuvian spark
Stranger

What about shrooms before Gordon and Wasson
    #1280631 - 02/05/03 07:21 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

From what I gather Gordon and Wasson went down to Mexico and basically "discovered" magic mushrooms while with Maria Sabina. Why didn't we know they were already here in the South and Northwest U.S. Didn't any native american tribes eat cubensis mushrooms (not peyote) before or during the Mazatec times. Were people eating them in secret? Or are these mushrooms even native to the U.S. -- Just a couple things I was pondering the other day

--------------------
"The only unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain and everything is changeable."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: What about shrooms before Gordon and Wasson [Re: peruvian spark]
    #1280670 - 02/05/03 07:34 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I dont think any native american tribes used psilocybic mushrooms... not on purpose, anyway.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1280913 - 02/05/03 09:02 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Interesting post. Not too sure of the distribution of magic mushrooms in north america at that time.

Native americans only started eating peyote from the late 1800's. A few of the mexico/texas tribes like the tarahumara indians had been using peyote for longer than that but it only spread to the northern tribes fairly late.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #1281276 - 02/05/03 11:02 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

r gordon wasson
v.p. of j p morgan
there were "rumours" of shroom use in mexico since the '30s (reko, schultes, others...)
the conquistidors & priests of the conquest forbade the use of shrooms & cactus & morning glories, yaddayadda...
and for the next 450 years, any users were subject to excommunication or even execution...
info on this stuff online at www.erowid.org & www.lycaeum.org & www.psychedelic-library.org & elsewhere, & books include wasson's _the wondrous mushroom_ & many others, yaddayadda...
etc./gnrmi

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #1285759 - 02/06/03 04:28 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

"From what I gather Gordon and Wasson went down to Mexico and basically "discovered" magic mushrooms."

R. Gordon Wasson was the Father of Ethnomycology, the study of man and his personal relationship with mushrooms throughout the ages.

Use of psilocybian mushrooms can be traced back to 9000 years bp in Northern Algeria at the Tasili, the Ancient Aryans who used the Amanita Muscaria, referred to as Soma. Is also known of amongst Siberian trinbbal gropups and some finns and Lapps and an Enclave in Northern ALGERIA, and a North American Indian Tribe, the only one whioch used mushrooms ritualistically is of the Ojibway tribe of NBorthern Michigan and Southern Ontario.

For psilocybian mushrooms From the 2nd century China they had remedies for the 'laughing sickness.' publkished in their planta medico herbal tombs. From the 11th century in Japan. From at least 1500 bc and up until and through the conquest of Nueva Espa?a.

The Aboriginies of New Guinea use several species of Bolets and Rusullas and Heimalas for intoxications of an hallucinogenic nature aS WELL AS ONE SPECIES OF pSILOCYBE.

For further info you can read my article on the shrooms and the Aztecs at my sites articles section.

http://www.mushroomjohn.com/articles.htm

mj

That will be ten dollars please, Thank you for contributing

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience