Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
I must be doing something wrong...
    #1280535 - 02/05/03 04:49 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Ok, I birthed my fully colonized cakes on super bowl sunday. (10 days ago) On my cakes I have yet to see a true pin. My cakes have been producing all kinds of bumps that look like the beginnings of pins, but they don't develop into them.

You can see all the white bumps all over the cakes, but they are not forming into pins! I had one bump that looked like it was sure to be a pin, but it like most of the bumps I thought that would make it start to bulge outwards. So I have these little balls of mycacellium pushing out that look like balls of perlite. (But aren't, Im just doing my best to describe how they are growing.) However, after they push out so far, they start to sorta form stems. (Not true stems, just describing how they are growing)

Example:

Cake surface (represented by the I): I )

Cake later I--()

These little balls then seem to be connected to the cake by a little strand of mycacellium, but the balls stay a white color, don't grow or show any signs of developing into pins. They aren't aborts, they are just lil balls of white stuff that are connected to the cake and quit growing. Also, it appears that the cakes themselves are starting to blue as if they are bruising. Im not handling them, so my guess to why pins aren't forming and my cakes are bruising is the humidity is too high. I turned the aquarium heater in my setup down, so maybe that will help. My temp previously was 78, and the humidity gauge said 82%, but I think it is off, because it is basically stuck at that position every time, and the walls and top of my setup have moisture beads on them, so Im guessing the humidity level is at least 10 percent higher, because I also have a wet perlite layer at the bottom of my setup. So do you think I made a correct diagnosis, or has anyone else run into a similar situation that solved it differently? Any advice is appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinesinoptiK
TranceAddict

Loc: USA
Re: I must be doing something wrong... [Re: biglo]
    #1280555 - 02/05/03 04:54 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

It's nothing to be worried about if it's what I think it is. My cakes did the same thing after I dunked them. They are adjusting to the humidity and growing out more mycelium. Is the stuff fluffy or does it look hard like a stem would be? Most of the stuff I've been seeing is fluffy and is normal so don't worry. Given the right conditions, it will begin to fruit.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #1280562 - 02/05/03 04:56 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds like your humidity is good. I would try and keep the temp in the low to mid 70s and I would fan at least 3 times a day. If you keep doing all that the cakes will begin pinning soon. The key to this hobby is patience.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I must be doing something wrong... [Re: sinoptiK]
    #1280575 - 02/05/03 05:06 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Well, this is my first grow and all, so I don't know exactly what all to look for, but originally when I birthed the cakes the humidity level seemed too low, and for the first two days I wasn't really getting much growth from them, so I cranked it up a lil and I started to see all these bumps growing over them. However, it seems that these bumps aren't growing into pins. The cakes have more of a warty appearance than fluffy appearance. I just thought the humidity level might have been too high so I turned it down a little, but that also means the temp inside will be turned down a lil. I just thought that after birthing you usually see pins in a couple days to a week, and its been 10 days, and I've seen pictures of other peoples cakes and I don't see all of the strange shaped/bumpy mycacellium. So I don't know, I'll just be patient and hope for some pins. I just hope that turning down the temp and humidity doesn't stunt their growth further.

OfflinePooGrower
Mr. Hanky

Loc: East Side
    #1280642 - 02/05/03 05:26 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

youll have pins in 2 to 5 days :smile: 

--------------------
"I WONT STOP TILL I HAVE A LIFE TIME SUPPLY" "dont be offended by anything i say, its in a joking manner"

OfflineCurious_George
You want abaloon?

Loc: La La Land
Re: I must be doing something wrong... [Re: PooGrower]
    #1280687 - 02/05/03 05:41 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I had the same problem with my cakes first time around, temps were too high, this just dried my cakes out before they could pin.. i moved my bin to the basement( ie: cooler temp ) and they pinned!!

what is your exact temp IN the bin?

cg

--------------------
************************************.>>>>>
Here Johny,, have a joint.. all your friends are doing it!!

Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I must be doing something wrong... [Re: Curious_George]
    #1280860 - 02/05/03 06:45 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Well, it had been about, 77-79*F previously, I have two thermometers inside the bin, one on the side about 7 inches above the perlite, and another one sitting on the perlite. I'll let you know what the exact temperature is after I turned the temps down in about an hour after the temperature stabiliizes inside the bin.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder