Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewal0013
kabukiman
Male User Gallery

freezing fresh mushrooms for preservation
    #12794757 - 06/24/10 01:56 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

i was researching this possible method of preservation a few days ago on the forum here and discovered that the overwhelming consensus was that it would through some unknown action destroy the psilocybin. i was skeptical of this supposed fact and was wondering if anyone knows why this allegedly occurs? according to the Collision theory for a chemical reaction to occur, the particles involved must collide with each other with sufficient energy to overcome the activation energy (Ea) "barrier" to initiate the reaction. Now if  the reactants are cooled or frozen  kinetic energy is removed from the particles which reduces the amount of particles that posses enough energy to exceed the activation energy barrier, not only that but each collision does not necessarily end in a fruitful collision in which both reactants react to form a product, this ought to mean that with freezing a sample of mushrooms the degradation due to oxidation in yield of psilocybin should logically be minimal. according to the same theory (collision theory extended from the kinetic theory of matter) the following are influences upon rates of reaction
1)increased surface area of solid reactants
2)increase of concentration of reactants in solution or pressure in terms of gaseous reactants.
3) increase in temperature.
4)addition of catalyst.
these 4 factors all serve to speed up a reaction but i could not find any instance where any would be caused in a freezer or in frozen mushrooms. if this is all true then why do mushrooms supposedly loose their  yield when frozen? i could not think of why any additional info would be highly appreciated. thanks guys

--------------------
Abuse of words has been the great instrument of sophistry and chicanery, of party, faction, and division of society.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebloodworm
cube con·nois·seur
Male User Gallery

Loc: 352
Re: freezing fresh mushrooms for preservation [Re: wal0013]
    #12794761 - 06/24/10 01:58 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

refrigerate dry or keep in a cool dark place is your best bet.  mushrooms are mostly water and freezing fresh is not a good idea in my opinion.

Offlinetehpurplepills
King
Male

Loc: Green Bay, Wisconsin
    #12794785 - 06/24/10 02:08 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

ghave u ever froze a mushroom? straight up puts a capital MUSH in mushroom these things are nasty enough to down when dried let alone wet and mushy and frozen

Invisiblebloodworm
cube con·nois·seur
Male User Gallery

Re: freezing fresh mushrooms for preservation [Re: tehpurplepills]
    #12794794 - 06/24/10 02:12 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

haha.  mushrooms mash.  might not be a bad idea if u can dry it properly and grind it up and capsule it.  i dont know (just an idea)...dont freeze fresh shrooms...bottom line.

Offlinewal0013
kabukiman
Male User Gallery

Re: freezing fresh mushrooms for preservation [Re: bloodworm]
    #12794814 - 06/24/10 02:19 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

indeed i have frozen mushrooms before, i find the taste of still frozen mushrooms to be rather nice, if you were to freeze them why would you thaw them out? the actual process of freezing the mushrooms unless they undergo snap freezing, burst the cell walls  withing the mushroom making liberation of psilocybin both more efficient and faster. although i appreciate your opinions i was hoping perhaps to gain insight int why it apaprently decreases yield of psilocybin, the only conclusion i could come to is that it does not.

--------------------
Abuse of words has been the great instrument of sophistry and chicanery, of party, faction, and division of society.

Invisiblebloodworm
cube con·nois·seur
Male User Gallery

#12794860 - 06/24/10 02:36 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

maybe i just dont understand WHY you would do it...

Offlinewal0013
kabukiman
Male User Gallery

Re: freezing fresh mushrooms for preservation [Re: bloodworm]
    #12794887 - 06/24/10 02:55 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

because drying them out no matter which way you do it increases the likelihood and therefore occurrence of fruitful collisions between psilocybin and O2 which would definitely reduce yield of psilocybin whether enough to notice or not would depend on individual methods, but from a chemistry standpoint it would be much better to freeze the mushrooms particularly for long term storage. that is why i wish to do it

--------------------

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
    #12794918 - 06/24/10 03:10 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Frozen mushrooms liquefy when reheated. The cells burst open upon freezing, so you can't reheat frozen mushrooms into anything except a liquid. For long term storage you need to dry it and vacuum seal it. Then you need to keep it away from heat and light. Psilocin is fairly unstable and oxidizes quickly, but Psilocybin is much more durable.

Offlinewal0013
kabukiman
Male User Gallery

Re: freezing fresh mushrooms for preservation [Re: nooneman]
    #12794993 - 06/24/10 04:14 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

i am well aware that freezing causes cells to burst as ice crystals form and that thawing is resultant in a  large amount of water (depending on the H2O content of the shrooms) but it is not  100% liquid  not every cell is ruptured although many are, once again just to clarify, the aim is not to thaw the mushrooms out but to consume them while in their frozen state as a sort of refreshing cool psychedelic treat. Once again id like to ask if anyone has any info pertaining to the degradation of the active constituence of the magic mushrooms i would like to hear it, otherwise im guessing it is safe to assuem that freezing mushrooms  does not result in any overall drop in yield

--------------------

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
    #12795003 - 06/24/10 04:22 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Psilocin will oxidize over time if exposed to air, I believe even if the mushroom is frozen. It depends on how long you want to keep them for, and how much air they're going to be exposed to. Freezing them in and of itself will probably do nothing to the actives. But if you keep them exposed to air it could degrade potency quite a bit over time. You would probably want to vacuum seal and then freeze.

OfflineFungus Muncher
Stranger
    #12795021 - 06/24/10 04:35 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

how about u just go ahead and try it rather than trying to defend your untested methods?  :shrug:

Offlinewal0013
kabukiman
Male User Gallery

Re: freezing fresh mushrooms for preservation [Re: Fungus Muncher]
    #12795036 - 06/24/10 04:45 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

as stated above i have done it, and it worked quite well however i was unable to weigh the dose at the time of consumption so i cant tell for sure how much i had, but i would be inclined to say that it was significantly less than  a medium dry dose yet  presented a more intense trip. i have done it so i do know that it does work and even though i haven't tested it accurately by weighing etc i  honestly don't believe it effects quality, i am just trying to find out what makes people suspect freezing of being damaging.

--------------------

OfflineTherad
Batman

Loc: Melbourne Flag
    #12795059 - 06/24/10 05:05 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Duuude! I think I have an answer... I think it could be due to how certain people define "potency".

My theory is this:
when you freeze the mushrooms, as stated above, it would form crystals etc etc burst cells etc etc  RESULTING in a faster rate of psilocybin/psilocin absorption from the small intestine. This would result in a higher peak blood plasma concentration of psilocybin/psilocin ie. You would have a more intense trip. However, since most drug elimination from the body occurs via first order kinetics (and I'm assuming psilocybin/psilocin is no exception), this means that the rate of elimination is proportional to the concentration of drug. In simpler terms, this means that you have a SHORTER but more INTENSE trip.

The confusion arises from how people might define potency. Having a shorter trip might mean that people believe the shrooms to be less potent. But at the same time, others might notice the heightened intensity more, and believe that it's more potent.

I think this could be part of the reason why lemon tek is sometimes debated. Some say it works great, others say it doesn't change much.

What are your thoughts?

P.s. I wish I was this eager to explain this kind of stuff in my pharmacology exam, but sadly the drugs they talk about aren't as interesting as the kind in magic mushrooms

Offlinewal0013
kabukiman
Male User Gallery

Re: freezing fresh mushrooms for preservation [Re: Therad]
    #12795204 - 06/24/10 07:13 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

what are my thoughts? i think your proposal is brilliant, makes perfect sense to me, would also explain why the trip seemed to last for a shorter duration than usual, thanks a lot for your reply, if indeed it is correct which i would assume is the case it looks like we have a reason ofr some people believing it reduces potency,  you mentioned that you do pharmacology which i am assuming you studied chemistry for,  do you agree with  what i put forward in my original post in terms of the collision theory?

--------------------

OfflineTherad
Batman

#12798622 - 06/24/10 06:49 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah what you said is correct. A general rule of thumb is that a chemical reaction will be sped up by increasing the temperature. Collision theory and all of that is just a fancy way of explaining why that is. That said though, I don't think the difference in temperature from room temperature to freezer temperature would make a significant difference in the decomposition of psilocybin. You'd still get less reaction of psilocybin, but I'm betting it would be such a small difference that it probably wouldn't be noticable, unless your idea is to store them for years and years.
However, putting them in the freezer does seem to be a good idea if you want shorter more instense trips, can't be bothered drying them, and can stomach the goo!

OfflineThirtyCigarettes
This you should vote me.

Loc: Oregon Flag
    #12798637 - 06/24/10 06:51 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Fail. It doesn't work.

OfflineTherad
Batman

Re: freezing fresh mushrooms for preservation [Re: ThirtyCigarettes]
    #12798709 - 06/24/10 07:03 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ThirtyCigarettes said:
Fail. It doesn't work.

would you care to elaborate on WHY you think this?

Offlinetwighead
mͯó
I'm a teapot

Loc: Glenn Gould's Fuck Windmill Flag
    #12798719 - 06/24/10 07:05 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Because it breaks the cell walls - which are your best friend in preservation. While exposing the actives to oxygen - your worst friend in preservation.

--------------------
¿Check out some art m8?

OfflineTherad
Batman

Re: freezing fresh mushrooms for preservation [Re: twighead]
    #12798775 - 06/24/10 07:15 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Okay, so what if you freeze them in an airtight container?

OfflineTherad
Batman

Re: freezing fresh mushrooms for preservation [Re: twighead]
    #12798788 - 06/24/10 07:17 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Okay, so what if you freeze them in an airtight container?
And besides, even if it's not in an airtight container, you a freezing it. Whilst frozen, oxygen will only be able to react with the psilocybin molecules on the outside of the frozen structure. Most of it would remain within the solid, away from any oxygen

Offlinetehpurplepills
King
Male

#12799723 - 06/24/10 09:43 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

hey i got an idea whut about freeeze dryin them? that way they wont be mushy shit but still be potent

OfflineKinichAhau
Sun Eyed Lord
Male

Loc: State of Eternity
Re: freezing fresh mushrooms for preservation [Re: tehpurplepills]
    #12799925 - 06/24/10 10:21 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Hm...freeze dried could work

I just think it's less to worry about for drying them, storing them with silica gel packets, in a container away from light in a cool place, with silica gel in the container as well.

A freezer could break down, a blackout can happen, etc. I think there's a fear of variability regarding things like that and something like fungi, which could very well be rendered useless (or you'd have to take them all then/find another way to keep them in a preserved state) should something like that occur.

That said-through an accident involving a mini fridge/freezer I learned that sclerotia aren't affected by freezing. Potency was exactly what it should have been (this was fresh sclerotia frozen accidentally and made into tea)
I don't think anyone's arguing the science of your claims-the science itself is sound, but there's usually better methods for storage of fungi, especially if one were to take them say, camping or some such.

But heck-if freezing works and you prefer it, go for it. There was a thread a week or so ago about someone being given mushies frozen for a few years and were asking about potency-a few people said that potency should be fine, but I don't know if the OP ever replied. Hm....
Worth looking into. So I think freezing would work, but ultimately drying is the de facto for preservation.

--------------------
:awecid:    :sunstone:  :nitrous:

(Thanks to Sui for letting me use this!)

"....buy small portions of say 1/2 gram...buy from a reliable internet source (they're out there) and store in a cool, dark, secret place"

Offlinetehpurplepills
King
Male

Re: freezing fresh mushrooms for preservation [Re: KinichAhau]
    #12799944 - 06/24/10 10:24 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

OfflineThirtyCigarettes
This you should vote me.

Loc: Oregon Flag
    #12800010 - 06/24/10 10:36 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Those are for DRIED mushrooms. I'd say you can store dried mushrooms in a freezer indefinitely. Fresh = fail.

When you freeze fresh mushrooms the cells expand and rupture leaving you with the black goop.

I've eaten 35g of goop before and barely got a body buzzy feeling.

OfflineWaffles863
Stranger
    #19963339 - 05/09/14 11:24 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I have fresh picked cubes in my freezer rite now I'll get back to you I hope it wirks

Invisible4HO-DMT
 User Gallery

Loc: County Line Road
    #19963397 - 05/09/14 11:42 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

wal0013 said:
...the actual process of freezing the mushrooms ..., burst the cell walls  withing the mushroom making liberation of psilocybin both more efficient and faster....

This is the reason they get weaker. By freezing, and thus exposing Psilocybin to O2 in air, you provide a method for it to oxidize faster.  This is why freezing fresh mushrooms deactivates them. It has nothing to do with kinetic energy and exceeding the activation energy.  That being said, dry them bitches out and then freeze them. Or, just eat them freshly picked.

Edit: This is an old thread.

Edited by 4HO-DMT (05/09/14 11:47 AM)

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ★
Re: freezing fresh mushrooms for preservation [Re: 4HO-DMT]
    #19963656 - 05/09/14 12:45 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Dude, 3 year old thread.

Also, freezing cubes is the dumbest fucking thing.  Paper bag in the fridge is the best method for preserving fresh mushrooms, but even then, you shouldn't be preserving them fresh.  However, from your other thread, who knows if this is even a cube.

--------------------
                            :rainbowdrink: Tea doesn't work?                            AMU  (Q & A)                  Grain prep for Intergalactic Space Oats :pes:     

Coir-ca-cola
Jokes are funny until they're about you

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag