Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMerryPrankster
Stranger
 User Gallery

Latest PF Grow... Contammed?
    #12776560 - 06/20/10 11:52 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

So, SWIM did some research about additives to see if they would help with potency, and read that yeast has been known to help.

SWIM mixed 7g of yeast into his BRF mix of 2 parts verm , 1 part BRF and 1 part water.

SWIM filled his jars and ran out of substrate before he finished all of his jars, so he made one without the yeast. SWIM inoculated his jars about 9 days ago and he's seen very little growth. It is Winter here, so it's cold. After seeing no growth, he put a low-power heating mat in a tub, then put his incubation chamber inside that. Today, there is a bunch of grey fuzzy stuff in all of the jars bar 1, but at least that one is showing some myc!

Now... When SWIM first put them into his incubation chamber, there was a slight yeasty smell which has turned more and more into a fermented yeasty smell.

Here is a couple of pics of the grey fuzzy stuff. Are his jars screwed?

SWIM thinks some of the problem may have been his spore print. It's one he created a while ago, and just placed a jar directly over the cap and print, so all of the spores were uber clumpy, it made it hard to suck them up into the syringe.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBruit
whoosh

Re: Latest PF Grow... Contammed? [Re: MerryPrankster]
    #12776598 - 06/21/10 12:01 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

are the colors in this picture funky? it looks like there is a big green spot on the lower right.

OfflineMerryPrankster
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Latest PF Grow... Contammed? [Re: Bruit]
    #12776616 - 06/21/10 12:06 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

It's just a terrible camera. The "grey" area goes from the reflection of the flash to the "green spot". That is the bit I'm the most worried about.

OfflineBruit
whoosh

#12776644 - 06/21/10 12:09 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

So that stuff above the flash is white mycelium?

OfflineMerryPrankster
Stranger
 User Gallery

#12776652 - 06/21/10 12:12 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

That is reflections off the vermiculite in the BRF mixture. There's no visible myc in that picture.

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Loc: Westcoast Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #12776658 - 06/21/10 12:13 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

MerryPrankster said:
So, SWIM did some research about additives to see if they would help with potency, and read that yeast has been known to help.

SWIM mixed 7g of yeast into his BRF mix of 2 parts verm , 1 part BRF and 1 part water.

SWIM filled his jars and ran out of substrate before he finished all of his jars, so he made one without the yeast. SWIM inoculated his jars about 9 days ago and he's seen very little growth. It is Winter here, so it's cold. After seeing no growth, he put a low-power heating mat in a tub, then put his incubation chamber inside that. Today, there is a bunch of grey fuzzy stuff in all of the jars bar 1, but at least that one is showing some myc!

Now... When SWIM first put them into his incubation chamber, there was a slight yeasty smell which has turned more and more into a fermented yeasty smell.

Here is a couple of pics of the grey fuzzy stuff. Are his jars screwed?

SWIM thinks some of the problem may have been his spore print. It's one he created a while ago, and just placed a jar directly over the cap and print, so all of the spores were uber clumpy, it made it hard to suck them up into the syringe.

that jar is trash throw it out and dont ad yeast to the jar. Also learn how to make a proper spore syringe

Read these

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11585613/fpart/1
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/12098357#12098357

OfflineMerryPrankster
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Latest PF Grow... Contammed? [Re: Shea25]
    #12776669 - 06/21/10 12:16 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, so the jars are fucked then.

The syringe isn't the problem, I can make sterile syringes. It was the PRINT that was the issue, I didn't let it dry properly.

Thanks for the info, I'll try again.

OfflineChronicCluster
Lord Cephalopod is Reborn!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Latest PF Grow... Contammed? [Re: Shea25]
    #12776681 - 06/21/10 12:21 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I could be wrong, but it also looks like you have too much water as well.  IME there shouldn't be that much water on the inside of the jar this early.  Usually mine only get that when they are close to 100%

I find the 1:1:2 ratio ALWAYS gives me too much water.  I always have to use less.

But find someone else's opinion on that.  I am by no means experienced.

But yeah, chuck it, start fresh.

--------------------
This site needs some submissions.  You should probably help out...
NawMean?

OfflineBruit
whoosh

#12776686 - 06/21/10 12:22 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Honestly, my jars don't look like that. and mycelium doesn't usually grow in that manner either. If you hold the one jar with mycelium next to these jars and they look clearly different...chances are you got a contaminant. I've only dealt with cobweb before but... check this out: http://www.shroomery.org/5276/What-are-common-contaminants-of-the-mushroom-culture
Does the jar fit the description of the first contaminant listed (Bacillus)?

It looks like you have a lot of moisture. Also, take the foil off the jars. They need gas exchange. 9 days is a long time to go without seeing any mycelium; probably not a good sign.

Edit: I am slow to post. Oh well :\ Shea25 can you identify what he's got growing in there?

Edited by Bruit (06/21/10 12:23 AM)

Offlineafrosheen
9Lives the cat
Male User Gallery

Re: Latest PF Grow... Contammed? [Re: ChronicCluster]
    #12776702 - 06/21/10 12:25 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

This is what happens when people get creative their first time out. Follow the tek to the letter, and you will have success.

BTW, where is it winter in June? Norway or Iceland?

--------------------

OfflineBruit
whoosh

Re: Latest PF Grow... Contammed? [Re: afrosheen]
    #12776740 - 06/21/10 12:37 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

haha, did you forget about the southern hemisphere?

Offlineafrosheen
9Lives the cat
Male User Gallery

#12776758 - 06/21/10 12:41 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

You mean the part of the map marked "here be dragons"? I never go down there.

--------------------

OfflineBruit
whoosh

Re: Latest PF Grow... Contammed? [Re: afrosheen]
    #12776830 - 06/21/10 12:59 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Oh one more thing. MerryPrankster, I looked at your grow log before and noticed you said you boiled for a little over an hour. Boil meaning in a pot? If a pot, make sure you boil for 90 minutes for thorough sterilization. 60 minutes is for a pressure cooker.

OfflineMerryPrankster
Stranger
 User Gallery

#12776949 - 06/21/10 01:26 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

This isn't my first grow... it's my third. I had potency problems with my first attempt, so I decided to try some additives.

I boiled the jars for two hours. I put slightly less than the full amount of water. I added it slowly until it was at field capacity.

I may have not had it tight enough when I boiled, and some water got in. Either way, it looks like it's totally fucked.

OfflineChronicCluster
Lord Cephalopod is Reborn!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #12777044 - 06/21/10 01:50 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Someone's sig around here says:
"Good results come from experience.  Experience comes from bad results."

Or something to that effect.  I really like that quote.  It's encouraging to know that even if you fail, then you are making it that much easier to achieve good results.

--------------------
This site needs some submissions.  You should probably help out...
NawMean?

OfflineMerryPrankster
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Latest PF Grow... Contammed? [Re: ChronicCluster]
    #12777067 - 06/21/10 01:58 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ChronicCluster said:
Someone's sig around here says:
"Good results come from experience.  Experience comes from bad results."

Or something to that effect.  I really like that quote.  It's encouraging to know that even if you fail, then you are making it that much easier to achieve good results.

Totally. I agree wholeheartedly. I've emptied the jars, and I'm pretty sure the contaminant was Bacillus. The smell could be considered to be like rotting apples. I've emptied them into my bin, and now the jars are sitting in my laundry sink (which is removed from the house, outdoor laundries ftw) filled with hot water and disinfectant. I will steam the jars for a half hour before filling them with another BRF mix. This time I will follow the tek to the letter and hope for better results.

I am starting again immediately. The jars are pre-steaming as I type. I have to say thanks to Shea25 for posting those links, I will use the syringe tek exactly.
*fingers crossed*

Edited by MerryPrankster (06/21/10 02:50 AM)

Offlinerustycobwebs
Green mold cultivator

#12777162 - 06/21/10 02:37 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

hopefully you wore a mask? While we can speculate nobody can be sure what that was and could be harmful to you. Moreover never open a contaminated jar in your workspace to avoid cross contamination.

Some of the guides here tell you to fill the water up to 1/3 up the side of the bottom layer of jars. For my setup, that was too high of a water level, as my tight fitting lid did not actually let any water out. It boiled into some of the jars.

A double, tightly crunched down layer of heavy duty tin foil, and a water level just at the bottom rim of the bottom layer of jars got the job done for me. Good luck, and remember it's always better to have a drier substrate than an overly wet one!

--------------------
and let it be so Praise Psilocybe

OfflineMerryPrankster
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Latest PF Grow... Contammed? [Re: rustycobwebs]
    #12777194 - 06/21/10 02:55 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I will be more careful with my water levels next time, I think that may have been a contributing factor. I use 4 jar lids with a folded tea towel covering them. Last time, because I was worried about the water boiling away, I filled it until about 1/3 up the side of the bottom layer of jars. This time, I'll fill it until I can see it soaking the tea towel and leave it at that, then just check it. I need to be sure when topping up I don't overfill it either.

I hate failing, so this time I will check and double check my methods to ensure I'm not fucking it up.

EDIT: Btw, in emptying the jars; I didn't take the lids off until they were over the bin, then I just bashed it on the inside of the bin to loosen the cake, the force of which pulls off the foil and everything falls into the bin. The jars went directly into a bucket full of disinfectant. The bin was my outside garbage bin, not the one in the kitchen. I'm not entirely stupid. I didn't wear a mask though. Could this have been a stupid thing to do?

Edited by MerryPrankster (06/21/10 02:59 AM)

OfflineBruit
whoosh

#12777954 - 06/21/10 09:58 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Wear it for next time as a precaution. Most species of bacillus aren't really a medical concern, however I can think of one in particular that is, haha (I haven't finished school yet so there could be more that I don't know about but bacillus sepcies certainly haven't been emphasized as much as other human pathogens. Check out Bacillus thuringiensis for an interesting and non-harmful species; not that it is of any relevance here)

Chances are what you had won't hurt you but it's always better to be on the safe side, right? the second guys post here sums it up (http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5332835#5332835)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom