Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleTackleBerry
Im working forthem.
He takes fatal OD as Internet pals watch
    #1276616 - 02/04/03 06:27 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/story/56497p-52905c.html

Chatroom vultures egged him to pop more Rx pills

By HELEN KENNEDY
DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

Brandon Vedas

"I told u I was hardcore."

Those were the last coherent words Brandon Vedas, 21, typed into the computer in his Phoenix bedroom as he showed off for Internet pals watching on a Web cam by swallowing more and more prescription drugs.

Vedas died online as a crowd of virtual onlookers egged him to "eat more!" A chilling record of the Jan. 12 chat reads like an Internet version of the notorious 1964 Kew Gardens, Queens, stabbing of Kitty Genovese as her neighbors watched from their windows.

In Vedas' case, some did try to help ? begging him to stop, to call 911, to get his mother from the next room. After he passed out, some tried frantically to figure out his location while others argued against getting involved.

But the technology that brought as many as a dozen chatters into the intimacy of Vedas' bedroom was unable to tell them where he was. Internet Relay Chat is anonymous, and no one in the drug users' chat group knew the last name of the young man who called himself Ripper.

Vedas was a casualty of a new epidemic: a surge in the recreational use of pharmaceuticals, even as the rate of illegal drug use holds steady or declines. The most recent survey by the federal Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration says 11.1 million people used prescription drugs for fun in 2000, nearly half of whom were under 25.

In New York City, the number of people showing up in emergency rooms after taking too many legal narcotics jumped 47.6% from 2000 to 2001, the most recent year for which numbers are available.

"In 2001, for the first time, we had more emergency room mentions of prescription narcotic analgesics nationally than for heroin," said Dr. Westley Clark, director of the administration's Center for Substance Abuse Treatment.

In Internet discussion groups, users trade tips on how to fake symptoms to con a doctor into prescribing pain relievers, tranquilizers, stimulants and sedatives.

By his own account, bragging in the hour before he died, Vedas ingested large doses of Klonopin, Methadone, Restoril and Inderal, along with marijuana and 151-proof rum. All but the pot and the rum apparently were legally prescribed for him by a doctor and a psychiatric nurse, according to his angry and mystified family.

"It's the ideal situation ? it's legal and it's free," said Vedas' brother Rich. "And most people assume that if a doctor is giving you something, it must be fine."

Vedas, who worked in computer support at the University of Phoenix, knew a lot about the dangers of mixing drugs. But he also bragged delusionally about his "high tolerance." His mother knew he had been prescribed pills for depression ? but no one in the family knew he was mixing his medicine for fun, his brother said.

On the night of Jan. 12, Vedas urged chat pals to log onto his Web site and watch him go through his stash. "Bottoms up, fellas!" he crowed.

"Don't OD on us, Ripper," said one of the onlookers watching Vedas swallow pill after pill.

"That's not much," said a teenager from rural Oklahoma who calls himself Smoke2K. "Eat more. I wanna see if you survive or if you just black out."

In the macho atmosphere of the druggie chat room, Vedas seemed to have something to prove. "This is usual weekend behavior. U all said I was lying," he said.

He said it was safe and noted, "My mom is in the next room doing crozzwordz."

As he took more and more, Vedas' typing became disjointed. His chat pals cheered him on.

"Ripper ? you should try to pass out in front of the cam," suggested one gleeful voyeur.

Vedas even tried to protect himself against disaster.

"In fase anything goe wrong," he said, typing his cell phone number. "Call if I look dead."

Soon, he did.

Soon, he was.

"I am online with 911. Is this the right choice?" asked one chatter. "NO NO NO NO NO," said another. "I talked my way out of it," came the reply. "I didn't give them any info."

In the end, there was nothing they could do.

Vedas' cell phone was off or not loud enough to rouse anyone else in the house. They looked up his Web site registry, but he had listed his home number as 555-1234.

And the online chatters didn't know his real name or location.

His mother found him at 1 p.m. the next day sprawled on his bed. The tech whiz's computer had shut down and locked itself automatically, so it wasn't until more than a week later that the family found out his death had had witnesses.

"It seems like the group mentality really contributed to it," said his brother, calling the transcript "disgusting."

"These people treat it like somehow it's not the real world," he said. "They forget it's not just words on a screen."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan
Re: He takes fatal OD as Internet pals watch [Re: TackleBerry]
    #1286907 - 02/06/03 10:17 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

i certainly HOPE that this wasn't on the shroomery chat.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: He takes fatal OD as Internet pals watch [Re: TackleBerry]
    #1288467 - 02/07/03 12:20 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Here's a link from dailyrotten.com,
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2724819.stm

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: He takes fatal OD as Internet pals watch [Re: Mitchnast]
    #1288946 - 02/07/03 03:15 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

it was

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan
Re: He takes fatal OD as Internet pals watch [Re: neuro]
    #1289932 - 02/07/03 10:41 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

i beleive i caught a wind of consideration towards the prosecution of the administrators here. that will NEVER happen. fisrt of all its grossly unconstitutional for the admin to censor evry juvenile act as it happens so that it wont reach the console of someone who would meekly harm themselves indirectly because of it.
i was also under the impression that rippers family wasn't angry at us, but after ive read recent media, ive come to understand that there has been considerable outrage towards this particular online community.
i think it needs to be clearly represented in the media as it had been clearly communicated on page one.
this community is about responsible education about mushrooms.
secondarily it is the discussion of mind-altering substances.
it has NEVER been about proving ones ability to get the most fucked up. nobody should be trying to be "hardcore"
ones ablity to exist for ones self is paramount, ones self-destructive desire to exist only to be noticed by others is sad, most very sad. perhaps it should be better understood here that it is not appropriate practice to feed someone who demonstrates that need of acceptance. that watching someone get all fucked up is NOT funny or amusing.
especially when they have no idea what they are doing.
theres a large percentage of people here who completly make up for what they lack of quality intelligence with frequency and potency of communication.
this however is mearly pointless, time-wasting display of self, narcissim, people dont even want to help others unless they get credit for it.
perhaps rather it should be practice NOT to accept those people in life who get amusingly or even embarassingly wasted. those people evrybody knows, those fixtures at parties who have strong social skills as long as they are the center of attention, but have little meaningful conversation. would you ever ask of them their honest oppinion? or do you consider them entertainment?
is this something we shold be actively concerned for?
maybe we shouldnt care, after all were not responsible right?
i dissagree. ive been shot down for sayinng this before, but i beleive that we are ULTIMATELY responsible for ANYTHING we benefit from. which means if we benefit from this community for any reason, then we are just as responsible for the evils of it as those who commit them.
this may be more responsibility and guilt than the average person is willing to accept, immaging taking on the weight of your ancestors for example instead of just ignoring their actions. you cant change the past, and its not your choice to decide the world youve been born into, mearly your responsibility to do the best with what of it is yours to have and fulfill your own personal legacy.
basically i think its peoples responsibility to be decent and i find the evidance for this evrywhere and as potent as creation.
i dont think decency means you have to temper evry juvinile thing you say, i just think.
i see alot of people whose soul purpose here is to one-up one another or a wit scale, on a humor scale, on a posting scale, even on a dosage scale. its evrywhere and the administration cannot be held responsible for it any more than a casual member of this comunity.
we can expose the people who egged ripper on, but we can't say anything, because ultimately were all guilty, if you dont think so, read 5 threads and remember that people are trying to one-up eachother.
this is what ripper was doing, trying to one-up evryone, perhaps just to justify his own addiction. the accpetance of being the MOST embarrasingly trashed among peers.
killed himself for recognition.
how much of drug usage these days has become this? and im not asking anybody to defend themselves, because OBVIOUSLY nobody does this themself do they? its always someone else right? of course anyone who could defend themself could come up with 50 people they think accurately demonstraite
the one-upmenship mentality, which only means that evryone around them exhibits that, and therefore they are also part of it.
maybe i am too, about the only thing i can say to defend myself is i KNOW when im doing it. and ill speak up against it when i know its wrong. and YES i think that makes me (in that way) better than those who wont. even if my message comes accross as unpopular and steps on peoples toes or infringes on their public, or worse, SELF-images.
you really cant say "theirs is a society i dont condone"
because its a redundant gesture. in evry way.
maybe the community has become TOO friendly. perhaps the only need for OTD, and any forum that doesnt require discussion and communication is unnesisary. people sure take it for granted like its nessisary. take it away and theyed attack the administration like theyve taken away a basic human right. "Human right" a contradiction in terms.
i think that ignorance is neither human, nor right.
i think an alarming # of the populus accept ignorance as norm and the consequences as unavoidable.
yes humans are ignorant, but they dont HAVE to be.
anyway, good day.

--------------------

Invisiblegroviesunrise
ApprenticeFarmer

Re: He takes fatal OD as Internet pals watch [Re: neuro]
    #1290302 - 02/08/03 07:06 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

That is absolutely sick! Why would people do such a thing? He was a kid, and whoever it was who egged him on should be punished in some form. I mean comeon people why would you sit there and watch someone take drugs, enough to kill you and egg him on to take more.. This isn't reality tv. This is real life and people get hurt. I never knew this guy, but i feel very sorry he had to go out like that. And if this happened on shroomery chat, then what does that mean for the shroomery? I would like to know who the guilty parties are..?

--------------------
. . P E A C E . .

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service