Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleveggieM

Marijuana Worsens Schizophrenia
    #12762383 - 06/18/10 08:26 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Marijuana Worsens Schizophrenia
June 18, 2010 - LiveScience.com

Marijuana gives people with schizophrenia a quick rush but worsens their psychotic symptoms within a few hours, a new study reveals.

Researchers in the Netherlands recruited 48 psychiatric patients and 47 healthy people to record what they were doing and how they felt 12 times a day for six days. All the study participants were regular pot smokers. The results showed that schizophrenia sufferers were more sensitive than healthy individuals to both the positive and negative effects of marijuana, or cannabis.

"People feel better when they use cannabis, and that's logical, because otherwise they wouldn't use cannabis," said study researcher Cecile Henquet of Maastricht University Medical Center in the Netherlands. "In spite of that, in the long run it's not so good for their psychotic symptoms."

Researchers have long wondered whether the mentally ill are using reefer to alleviate the classic symptoms of the disease: delusions, hallucinations and jumbled thoughts.

The new studies turn that reasoning on its head, said Deepak Cyril D'Souza, a psychiatrist at Yale University who was not involved in the study. "What the data clearly show are that, if anything, the core symptoms of schizophrenia actually get worse after using cannabis," he said.

The results, published in the June issue of the British Journal of Psychiatry, help explain previous findings that people with schizophrenia who smoke marijuana require more hospitalization, respond less well to medication and have more trouble with memory tests.

Henquet said therapists have these facts in mind when they advise their mentally ill patients not to get high. Instead, she said, therapists may need to explore the positive effects with their patients and then get them to acknowledge the downside.

D'Souza said schizophrenics don't anticipate that after the positive effects of getting high wear off, their hallucinations get worse. "Showing people with schizophrenia this pattern might help them think about [the risks of] using cannabis," he said.

The new study is further evidence of the tangled relationship between marijuana and schizophrenia. Researchers know that getting high can trigger schizophrenic symptoms in people who are at risk for mental illness.

The culprit is most likely the signature ingredient of pot, the chemical delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC. In laboratory studies, people who ingest THC experience psychotic symptoms.

According to one estimate, if marijuana use were eliminated in the U.K., where the THC content of the drug is reportedly very high, the rate of schizophrenia would decrease by 8 percent to 14 percent.

Henquet said it's likely that marijuana triggers schizophrenic symptoms in people who have genetic mutations that sensitize them to the drug's psychotic effects.

Oddly enough, some evidence suggests that a second marijuana component called cannabidiol actually has antipsychotic effects. D'Souza said he and other researchers are testing whether administering cannabidiol by itself can alleviate psychotic symptoms.

"If there's enough evidence to support it's use as an antipsychotic," he said, "then that might be one way of getting people to stop using cannabis."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

Re: Marijuana Worsens Schizophrenia [Re: veggie]
    #12762402 - 06/18/10 08:34 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

:ilold:

I don't like this article.

Voilà

--------------------
Carl Sagan - "Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people."

---

Robert Pirsig - "When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."

---

Brian Cox - "[One] problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it. The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense."

Offlinewinterone
Earth Wanderer

Re: Marijuana Worsens Schizophrenia [Re: Simplepowa]
    #12762501 - 06/18/10 09:04 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

So are they trying to say that everyone is psychotic therefore we shouldn't smoke pot? I can see the sense in their findings and relatively speaking no one has done any research into this area. But they have found just as disturbing facts about alcohol as well, so "where's the beef?"
Because MJ research is relatively cutting edge at the moment anything to fuel the fires on either side of the debate is going to get attention. Thus publish what ya got boy's it's time to get some grants!

--------------------
Alice
I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?' Ah, that's the great puzzle!

OfflineJonTable
Stranger
Male

Re: Marijuana Worsens Schizophrenia [Re: winterone]
    #12762969 - 06/18/10 10:59 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

no i don't think they are trying to say everyone is psychotic.

look, you bring up the comparison to alcohol as everyone does with marijuana..but that's just it.  if you want marijuana to be legit in today's society we must know all the negatives as well (albeit sure i believe there are less of them than with other drugs).  regardless, the negatives need to be known so that they can be sanctioned problems associated with the drug and the unknown factor is eliminated.

furthermore, I can currently waiting for a friend to return to town- he was diagnosed with acute schizo and NO DOUBT the marjiuana he was constantly smoking brought on the schizo.  he was always on anti depressants, but stopped taking them (we still dont know why) and he was launched into an episode..all while routinely smoking marjiuana... from the times i smoked with him i can easily tell what was going on in hindsight (i wish i realized it at the time)  ..sometimes he would get very stoned, quite and upon being asked how he felt somthing like "..oh. im just stuck in the past man" would finally be uttered.  ..  when his episode turned serious he was in complete disillusion, saying things were happening or had happened that were COMPLETELY false (and very serious claims) ..  he was finally taken to a head doctor where he was diagnosed, then taken to a hospital, now in another state in and out of hospitals (attempted suicide, etc) and i believe is now in a correctional/transitional home.  it was certainly made me think twice about the amount of marijuana ive smoked over the last few years.  im MUCH more careful about it.. and really..  i havent been smoking in awhile because i find myself getting reclusive while other ppl are around, i want to be alone and not talk to them...even while around good company ive known for years ill start thinking things they are saying are really jabs at me and i take them VERY personally (even tho im thinking at the time im just stoned and they arent making fun..... but i still feel as if they are.. its odd and very very shitty and has resulted in me not really being able to smoke unless conditions are PERFECT)

bottom line.  some ppl will certainly become pyschotic with marijuana use.  plain and simple.  not everyone can use the drug in the same ways.

OfflineLeAto
Listener

Re: Marijuana Worsens Schizophrenia [Re: JonTable]
    #12763019 - 06/18/10 11:14 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Doesn't sound as if it was written by anyone with an academic background.  Fail for rhetoric...

~ LeAto

OfflineMoronicus
smokehousebacon.
Male

Re: Marijuana Worsens Schizophrenia [Re: LeAto]
    #12763025 - 06/18/10 11:15 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Hmm, I get jumbled thoughts with weed anyways, it's no surprise. Hell, maybe I'm schizo.

--------------------

BACON RANCH, FUCK YEAH

A post about m00nshine

Anonymous #6 said:
Yes, it is. The shine stands for his job title, which is Shoe Shiner, the moon stands for the time he comes out to be a nigger, which is best suited for the negroid camouflage.

OfflineSmitington
Unidentified Flying Object
Male

Loc: Mushroom Kingdom
Re: Marijuana Worsens Schizophrenia [Re: Moronicus]
    #12763050 - 06/18/10 11:25 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Bottom line imo is that most people who smoke weed do not become psychotic.  Alot of the studies which suggests marijuana leads to psychosis make it clear that the individuals in reference have had predispositions toward mental illness.  So, it is important to be aware of trigger factors, but it's not nessecarily a grounds for demonizing the drug.  I am sure their are alot of things which could trigger the psychotic reactions in these people, imo we need to find ways to detect these predispositions in the first place.

--------------------

Offlineidunno
PinkWebBuffalo
 User Gallery

Re: Marijuana Worsens Schizophrenia [Re: Smitington]
    #12763174 - 06/18/10 11:59 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

This new study that was conducted, concluded that when you take 5 hits of LSD, you should have auditory hallucinations, with some mild to OMFG visual hallucinations. The conclusion from the study was that psychonauts like to see and hear stuff that is not there and explore there subconscious.:crazy2:  O we were talking about psychotics,Oops

--------------------
The death of one man is a tragedy. The death of millions is a statistic..  Josef Stalin

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Marijuana Worsens Schizophrenia [Re: idunno]
    #12763312 - 06/18/10 12:27 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Schizophrenia wouldn't curb with the absence of marijuana or any pychadelic subtance, because it is being caused with OD's on AMPHETEMINES!:awesome:(mostly)

Edited by Konyap (06/18/10 01:52 PM)

Offlineemeraldlife88
Emerald

Re: Marijuana Worsens Schizophrenia [Re: Konyap]
    #12763567 - 06/18/10 01:03 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Although it is unnerving, it might be true. Yes, everyone gets confusion on weed. That doesn't mean your close to schizophrenic. Lots of people trip out. That doesn't mean you're close either. Lots of people get reclusive on weed, that hardly means a thing. Having this mental illness is a lot more extreme than all of that. For those that have it or are genetically predisposed to have it, then marijuana might cause it to act up. However, some schizophrenics say it helps them.

Edited by emeraldlife88 (06/20/10 06:20 PM)

OfflineScuzzle
Stranger
Re: Marijuana Worsens Schizophrenia [Re: emeraldlife88]
    #12764135 - 06/18/10 02:53 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Having schizophrenia and smoking a little bit of weed is so bad, let me tell you, any time I do something wrong, that in the slightest bit could be against what might be good for me, my voices act up.

In the real world this sucks. I wish someone could train my voices to say nice things, if only I had a friend...

InvisibleRydrallen
Kitchen Chemist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Secret Base
Re: Marijuana Worsens Schizophrenia [Re: emeraldlife88]
    #12764155 - 06/18/10 02:56 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I'm a diagnosed schizo. Marijuana helps me more than mood-stabilizing anti-psychotics. Cause they just make me depressed as fuck and quite literally want to kill myself. The things i see and hear are real to me, as you've probably heard or read - and they're beautiful. Sometimes scary, crazy or just plain fucking stupid, but beautiful.

Personally it's a gift rather than an affliction. Loads of folk think i'm weird, but i'm finee with that. Not entirely comfortable with myself as a human but i'm trying to fix that. Tangent.

Peace.

P.s. fuck pharma, <3 earth.

--------------------
My happiest thought, which allows me to fly,
Is of Tinkerbell naked and sucking me dry
My First Grow

OfflineSmitington
Male

Re: Marijuana Worsens Schizophrenia [Re: Scuzzle]
    #12764166 - 06/18/10 02:59 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

you have many friends here at the shroomery :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleRydrallen
Kitchen Chemist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Secret Base
Re: Marijuana Worsens Schizophrenia [Re: Rydrallen]
    #12764170 - 06/18/10 03:00 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

your voices "act up"? Yeah it gets "worse" but i kind of like having it out with them; it's not like you have to do what they say or believe what they believe - just like human beings.

Scuzzle. Think beyond the things you hear. smoke a lot of weed and listen much farther out, to the voice of the universe. They are but a whisper in comparison.

--------------------
My happiest thought, which allows me to fly,
Is of Tinkerbell naked and sucking me dry
My First Grow

OfflineScuzzle
Stranger
Re: Marijuana Worsens Schizophrenia [Re: Rydrallen]
    #12764661 - 06/18/10 04:32 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I did smoke weed and all it did was get me into trouble, on the inside however even when I was trying to quit there is something in my head that tells me it isn't helping anyone to trouble myself with thoughts that are out of my  reach, the best point it's ever made was it is out of control, I don't have to influence it and a self sacrifice to something else besides smoking dope and hearing voices would make the world a much better place.:heart:

Besides you shouldn't have to be told what to do, as far as I'm concerned it's a stink trail.

My two cents.

OfflineLOLCrystal
Stranger
Re: Marijuana Worsens Schizophrenia [Re: veggie]
    #12765203 - 06/18/10 06:20 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I saw the title of this article and laughed out loud. Marijuana is obviously not good for schizo's. I could've told you that.

OfflineFreedom
Pigment of your imagination
Male User Gallery

Re: Marijuana Worsens Schizophrenia [Re: LOLCrystal]
    #12765720 - 06/18/10 08:06 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I wonder what strain they were looking at.... :lol: the scientists involved probably have no clue about strains.

I bet certain indicas would actually reduce the symptoms.

OfflineP.weilii
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Marijuana Worsens Schizophrenia [Re: Freedom]
    #12765915 - 06/18/10 08:46 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------

Invisiblep4kSouL
Animals Are Cool

Re: Marijuana Worsens Schizophrenia [Re: Freedom]
    #12765962 - 06/18/10 08:53 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Being someone who has had schizophrenic symptoms, schizophrenia in my family, and that sort i have to agree that marijuana pacifically is not a good choice for schizophrenics. Marijuana is a good pain medicine, but when it comes to dealing with fear, I dont think its the best drug. Schizophrinia is a subconcious disease, people that have subcoincous diseases should avoid specific types of drugs, because the drugs can trigger the subconcious chain of thoughts to take place. In my experience its not the marijuana that creates the parinioia its the subconcious, just marijuana helps bring it out.
In all honesty I dont see marijuana good for any kind of anxiety or fear disorder.
But some people i can see how it can relax them, but i cannot relax on weed.

OfflineSmitington
Male

Re: Marijuana Worsens Schizophrenia [Re: P.weilii]
    #12766157 - 06/18/10 09:29 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

P.weilii said:
Has anybody seen this article?

http://www.brainwaving.com/2010/01/29/its-lack-of-balance-that-makes-skunk-cannabis-do-harm/

I have seen this article before.  By "Skunk", are they refering to Indica heavy strains?

--------------------

OfflineFreedom
Pigment of your imagination
Male User Gallery

Re: Marijuana Worsens Schizophrenia [Re: Smitington]
    #12766186 - 06/18/10 09:33 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

skunk is that super stinky shit that I haven't seen in years. smells like a skunk.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies