Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJaxx
Random muppet.
 User Gallery

Loc: Anywhere but Elsewhere
Do I need a terrarium?
    #1276212 - 02/04/03 01:21 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I have heard a lot of people say that perlite humidification is unnecessary when dealing with casings, until I have gone through the fruiting process I have no more spores to innoculate more jars so I wont be using my incubator. Anyway, the question is, can I just put a see-through top on my incubator and lower the temperature in the incubator to use it as a terrarium? Will the micro-climate from the casing provide enough humidity so I just have to fan and mist a few times a day? If not, would an air bubbler in a jar in my incubator/terrarium suffice (with fanning and misting of course)? My BRF cakes arent fully colonized yet and I was going to do a straight verm casing (as per "Casing for Dummies Tek") as this is my first grow and I wanted to try casing but still want to keep it simple.
I havnt got a hygrometer yet either cus I have no idea where to buy them in the UK (although I havnt looked very hard, I tried Wilko and Argos cus they were next door to each other).

Thanks in advance everyone.

PS. It's damn cold here at the moment so im going to have to use something to keep temps up for fruiting anyway.

EDIT: Ooops I forgot, if this will work, what sort of temperature should I set it to?

--------------------
If you were to draw a continuous straight line with a standard graphite pencil the line would stretch for 35 miles.

Edited by Jaxx (02/04/03 01:28 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
Re: Do I need a terrarium? [Re: Jaxx]
    #1276234 - 02/04/03 01:33 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

since things vary so much, it's hard to say whether you will or wont get enough humidity. you really need to measure the humidity to know whether you've got it right. an air bubbler in a jar may or may not be enough or too much humidity. once again, you'll have to measure. for fruiting, i would keep temps around 75 F.

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

OfflineJimBoB
sucky sucky 10dollar

Loc: England.
Re: Do I need a terrarium? [Re: Bilge]
    #1276240 - 02/04/03 01:39 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Mate, I case my things in a storage box, then I put cling film over the top. Ive not needed to use a terrarium yet.

OfflineJaxx
Random muppet.
 User Gallery

Loc: Anywhere but Elsewhere
Re: Do I need a terrarium? [Re: JimBoB]
    #1276275 - 02/04/03 01:54 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Sounds to me like it should work then, maybe  :cool:, thanks for the help, I guess I'll have to find a bloody hygrometer though.....hmmm, any suggestions from other UK shroomers?  :grin:

--------------------
If you were to draw a continuous straight line with a standard graphite pencil the line would stretch for 35 miles.

Anonymous

Re: Do I need a terrarium? [Re: Jaxx]
    #1278056 - 02/04/03 11:48 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

If you are not going to invest in an automated fruiting chamber, then I wouldn't buy a hygrometer. If you don't mind fanning several times a day, manually, a properly manufactured casing(water content is correct) will provide enough humidity. When fruiting you want the casing to provide the moisture and the Air to remove it. This evaporation is what will mature the fruits. A properly made casing will release enough Moisture into the Fruiting chamber to make the walls of the fruiting chamber wet. This is all the humidity you need.

An occasional misting prior to pin set, and then post button stage will replenish the water lost to and through the developing fruits. After the casing fruits are removed, mist daily to build up moisture content of casing to Mature the next flush.

As long as your fruiting chamber has some moisture on the walls, it has plenty of humidity. The Water that makes up the fruits is coming MOSTLY from the substrate and casing layer, NOT THE AIR around the mushrooms. The humidity just prevents the RAPID EVAPORATION of all the moisture from the casing and fruits.

Manual systems and casings can be VERY EFFECTIVE. No perlite is needed. Just make sure you Fruiting chamber is closed in between fanning to allow the mositure to be drawn from the casing at a slow rate. Doesn't have to be air tight, but closed.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom