Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinebcblackout

Re: Been eating a LOT less meat - need advice on supplementing vitamins, etc. [Re: feifen]
    #12765888 - 06/18/10 08:40 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Soy messes with your hormones, which can affect more than just your fertility.

There is evidence that GMO's have detrimental health effects, and obviously have enormous ecological implications. If you buy certified organic soy, it should not contain GMOs or chemical fertilizers & pesticides.

Just stuff to be aware of.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePrimal Glitch
literally just vibing
Male User Gallery

Loc: 🌎 Flag
Re: Been eating a LOT less meat - need advice on supplementing vitamins, etc. [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #12765943 - 06/18/10 08:49 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I would recommend spirulina as a supplement

:vegan:

--------------------

make the changa you wish to see in the world
                                                                gnome sayin'?

Offlinefeifen

Re: Been eating a LOT less meat - need advice on supplementing vitamins, etc. [Re: bcblackout]
    #12766342 - 06/18/10 09:53 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

tripleclick said:

Wow thanks I've never heard of it before but I'm going to get me some of this. Seems wonderful.

Quote:

bcblackout said:

There is evidence that GMO's have detrimental health effects, and obviously have enormous ecological implications. If you buy certified organic soy, it should not contain GMOs or chemical fertilizers & pesticides.

Just stuff to be aware of.

Funny because I just checked and I am buying organic soy, but I decided to look up some on what you said, and so far, the only thing I have found out is that it has phytoestrogens apparently in TRACE amounts that would cause no impact on hormones.

Quote:

Because of the phytoestrogen content, some studies have suggested that there is an inverse correlation between soybean ingestion and testosterone in men.[81] For this reason, they may protect against the development of prostate cancer.[82]

Studies on the effects of soy on sperm concentration are equivocal, showing negative effect[83], no effect[84], and positive effect of soy intake versus sperm levels and quality.

Sounds to me that this is a VERY inconclusive research if they are getting mixed results. Testosterone DIRECTLY influences sperm production, and they can't do a conclusive research that clearly demonstrates it lowers testosterone if sperm is actually increased or not effected period.

Invisibleteknix
𓂀⟁𓅢𓍝𓅃𓊰𓉡 𓁼𓆗⨻
 User Gallery

Re: Been eating a LOT less meat - need advice on supplementing vitamins, etc. [Re: feifen]
    #12766776 - 06/18/10 11:21 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Shiitake and Whey/Soy protein can really help to replace some of the protein loss.

If you mix whey protein with milk, some ice cubes a bit of peanut butter and your fav fruit, your good to go!

B12 will really aid in carbo -> energy generation.

Edited by teknix (06/18/10 11:28 PM)

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Solar Circuit
Re: Been eating a LOT less meat - need advice on supplementing vitamins, etc. [Re: Primal Glitch]
    #12769598 - 06/19/10 03:33 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

tripleclick said:

As would I! Its complete protein can definitely assist in transitioning from a meat to plant based diet. I don't even really consider it a supplement anymore. For me it's become a basic food.

--------------------

InvisibleDickhead
2 Times
Female User Gallery
Loc: groin
Re: Been eating a LOT less meat - need advice on supplementing vitamins, etc. [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #12769652 - 06/19/10 03:45 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I doubt you are deficient.  I was veg for 5 years...  the shit my family would say.  They worry, they love you, but they are probably wrong. 

2nd thing, you can buy quality cold cuts that aren't lips assholes and edible plastics. 

3rd As an adult, If you eat even a few oz's of meat a week you likely don't need to worry about protein.  I am very suspicious of the vitamin industry, as was my family doctor.  He said all they do is make your pee expensive.

Quote:

OneMoreRobot3021 said:
Hey all, first off - I am not very educated about nutrition at all.

Well, time to start. 

Add some beans/legumes and other protein rich veg. I was told by one nutritionist that I should eat Spinach WITH something Vitamin C rich; Oranges obviously, Green Peppers had enough as well, she said.  Something to do with full absorption of vegetable protein.  Just an Example of the things you will want to know if you cut meat out entirely.

The good news is, MANY paths will bring you fantastic health!!!     

General Nutrition is likely the most contestable health science.  It is extremely complex, dependent on all of life factors(environment, activity, genetics; and on forever). The experts argue to no end. There are paradoxes(give sugar to a lazy guy it turns to fat, to an athlete, becomes muscle).. On and on.  we even see people with HORRIBLE diets live very long, healthy lives(activity and genetics??). 

There are some pretty reliable guidelines however; avoid regular processed foods, reduce salt and saturated fats, etc. Fresh, raw fruit and Veg, nuts, grains are in general REALLY good for you.  I think this is where your trip is pointing you anyway.

In my personal experience, when I am active, with a HUGE variety of foods in my diet, the better I feel in all ways.  My hunger will tell me what I need.  Try stuff, your gut will literally tell you how to change.  I highly suggest go crazy with Salads.  My friend got me hip to this by preparing a salad of spinich, Pomegranate, pine nuts, thin sliced radish and half a dozen other things, AMAZED. Mix it up, a salad like that with a wild rice blend and a medium rare 4oz tenderloin steak. Whally fauwk.

Use the basic, reliable framework of nutritioual certainties and further that with your own intuition interest/experience and consider advice you can trust.  You will likely live long and have many posts.

--------------------
Multiplied

Offlinebcblackout

#12776244 - 06/20/10 10:41 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

feifen said:
Quote:

tripleclick said:

Funny because I just checked and I am buying organic soy, but I decided to look up some on what you said, and so far, the only thing I have found out is that it has phytoestrogens apparently in TRACE amounts that would cause no impact on hormones.

Quote:

Because of the phytoestrogen content, some studies have suggested that there is an inverse correlation between soybean ingestion and testosterone in men.[81] For this reason, they may protect against the development of prostate cancer.[82]

Studies on the effects of soy on sperm concentration are equivocal, showing negative effect[83], no effect[84], and positive effect of soy intake versus sperm levels and quality.

Sounds to me that this is a VERY inconclusive research if they are getting mixed results. Testosterone DIRECTLY influences sperm production, and they can't do a conclusive research that clearly demonstrates it lowers testosterone if sperm is actually increased or not effected period.

Interesting. I don't know the science behind it. Maybe it depends on the individual too. A friend of mine had to completely eliminate soy from her diet... I can't remember the details now but I think it stopped her menstruation or something. Anyways...

Offlinespore baby
Male

#18652857 - 08/03/13 01:58 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Edited by spore baby (12/14/14 05:05 AM)

Offlinewithoutawire
hi
 User Gallery

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Re: Been eating a LOT less meat - need advice on supplementing vitamins, etc. [Re: spore baby]
    #18652968 - 08/03/13 02:47 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Shiitake mushrooms are shit when it comes to protein

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2488/2

--------------------
:tigerbunny:

OfflineCrystal G
I'm a teapot

Loc: outer space
Re: Been eating a LOT less meat - need advice on supplementing vitamins, etc. [Re: bcblackout]
    #18653023 - 08/03/13 03:25 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

bcblackout said:

So do a lot of recreational drugs. Also, here's something people don't know--there are phytoestrogens in nuts, beer, and wine too!

OP, I suggest iron and B vitamin supplements. The only way you can get B vitamins is through some form of animal meat.

You might feel fine about eating oysters, clams, mussels, sea urchin, and crustaceans since they don't have a brain and probably don't suffer. Eat a lot of shellfish like this, they are very high in protein and B vitamins.

OfflineKGB Is Go
Сталкер
Male

Loc: VIC Flag
Re: Been eating a LOT less meat - need advice on supplementing vitamins, etc. [Re: Crystal G]
    #18662246 - 08/05/13 05:57 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Crystal G said:
So do a lot of recreational drugs. Also, here's something people don't know--there are phytoestrogens in nuts, beer, and wine too!

Glad you mentioned that :-) I'm not convinced about the tofu/hormonal thing. When I looked into it a while ago, it seemed that the only serious studies had been done on animals (mice?) - for starters, mice aren't humans... - and to achieve the same kind of hormonal effect the tofu had on the mice, humans would have to eat the equivalent of some ridiculously large amount. Nonetheless, as a vegetarian of many years, I get my hormones checked each time I get a blood test. I've never had high estrogen levels, despite having perhaps (200-400g) of tofu most weeks.

Quote:

Crystal G said:
OP, I suggest iron and B vitamin supplements. The only way you can get B vitamins is through some form of animal meat.

I don't think that's quite true. My understanding is that mushrooms contain some B vitamins. Here's a couple of links from a quick search:

http://www.cairnsmushrooms.com.au/nutrition.html
http://www.powerofmushrooms.com.au/health-nutrition/health-nutrition/the-essential-nutrients-in-mushrooms/

B12, on the other hand, is only available from animal sources - as I understand it. You can supplement B12 very easily/effectively though. I've been vegetarian for years and took 1000mcg tablets for a while and I now have 'high' B12 (just).

Iron is the one worth looking out for... I've never done it but have been considering taking iron supplements.

--------------------
"The guy went axe-happy on a trout farm, he killed 60 fish."

OfflineUzziel
O_o

Re: Been eating a LOT less meat - need advice on supplementing vitamins, etc. [Re: KGB Is Go]
    #18664437 - 08/05/13 04:55 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I'm not worried about eating any hormones. The human body is really good at regulating hormones unless they are taking fucked up amounts of hormones and can't balance it out. (Like taking steroids)

:shrug:

OfflineCrystal G
I'm a teapot

Re: Been eating a LOT less meat - need advice on supplementing vitamins, etc. [Re: Uzziel]
    #18665173 - 08/05/13 08:10 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I've actually read a statistical study on Japanese men, and they do have higher estrogen levels than other races, presumably from all the phytoestrogens in tofu that they consume on a daily basis.

I have noticed that a few days after I eat tofu, I always break out on my face. So I know it does affect my hormone levels. Milk does the same thing to me, which makes sense seeing as how milk is abundant in hormones, so I usually avoid tofu and dairy unless it's formulated into whey powder or something.

If you don't have bitch tits though, I wouldn't worry about it personally.

OfflineKGB Is Go
Сталкер
Male

Re: Been eating a LOT less meat - need advice on supplementing vitamins, etc. [Re: Crystal G]
    #18665585 - 08/05/13 09:52 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Crystal G said:
I've actually read a statistical study on Japanese men, and they do have higher estrogen levels than other races, presumably from all the phytoestrogens in tofu that they consume on a daily basis.

I have noticed that a few days after I eat tofu, I always break out on my face. So I know it does affect my hormone levels. Milk does the same thing to me, which makes sense seeing as how milk is abundant in hormones, so I usually avoid tofu and dairy unless it's formulated into whey powder or something.

If you don't have bitch tits though, I wouldn't worry about it personally.

Interesting to hear - shall keep it in mind. No bitch tits on me, but no raging bull pecs either. Mmm, re: dairy - I had full cream milk powder as a supplement for a while and I reckon it messed around with my hormones. I'm tempted to try giving up dairy for a month or so to see how it feels.

--------------------

OfflineCrystal G
I'm a teapot

Re: Been eating a LOT less meat - need advice on supplementing vitamins, etc. [Re: KGB Is Go]
    #18665666 - 08/05/13 10:06 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I've noticed I still get the same breakouts even if I buy organic milk where the cows are not fed hormones or steroids. It makes sense though, because the female cows on dairy farms are usually kept pregnant while they are producing milk. And of course many hormones cross the BBB which means that if they are injected with steroids, it passes straight through into the milk.

OfflineKGB Is Go
Сталкер
Male

#18666316 - 08/06/13 12:47 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Crystal G said:
I've noticed I still get the same breakouts even if I buy organic milk where the cows are not fed hormones or steroids. It makes sense though, because the female cows on dairy farms are usually kept pregnant while they are producing milk. And of course many hormones cross the BBB which means that if they are injected with steroids, it passes straight through into the milk.

Sounds right, regarding pregnancy/injections/hormones. I had written "the dairy industry is pretty decent here in Australia (i.e. no factory farming for cows, that I know of), as compared to the US, thankfully", but then checked with a quick Google and found this: http://www.unleashed.org.au/animals/cows.php

So easy to forget how dreadful these industries are...... Time for me to join my gf and take a closer look at veganism, I think...

--------------------

Offlines240779
Male Unread Journal User Gallery
    #18668972 - 08/06/13 03:47 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

KGB Is Go said:
Time for me to join my gf and take a closer look at veganism, I think...

Get special dairy products from high quality sources such as\ X Factor High Vitamin Butter Oil.

OfflineKGB Is Go
Сталкер
Male

Re: Been eating a LOT less meat - need advice on supplementing vitamins, etc. [Re: s240779]
    #18670267 - 08/06/13 08:22 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Da2ra said:
Get special dairy products from high quality sources such as\ X Factor High Vitamin Butter Oil.

Looks good, but mad expensive. I'd heard of that 'Activator X' compound before - I actually bought some wacky fish oil which claimed to have it - not sure whether I believe in it or not.

--------------------

OfflineCrystal G
I'm a teapot

#18670327 - 08/06/13 08:34 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

why do you even need to eat dairy? theres plenty of calcium in tons of vegetables. many countries live without milk in their diet without suffering from calcium deficiency.

me personally, my favorite source of calcium is fried fish bones. it's a japanese dish, sounds gross but tastes delish.

Offlines240779
Male Unread Journal User Gallery
    #18670351 - 08/06/13 08:37 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Activator X is also known as vitamin K2. I think "activator X" is just an old code name.

Vitamin K2 (menaquinone): the richest sources are organ meats, full fat cheese, good quality butter and cream (yellow and orange from grass-fed animals), animal fats and egg yolks. This vitamin is essential for normal calcium metabolism, its deficiency leads to deposition of calcium in soft tissues and initiation of inflammation, while bones and teeth do not get enough calcium. Apart from the high fat foods an important source of this vitamin is our own gut flora: the probiotic bacteria in the gut  produce and release vitamin K2. Fermented food are full of vitamin K2 as the bacteria produce it in the process of fermentation; natto (fermented soy beans) is one of the richest plant sources.

Natasha Campbell-McBride. "Gut and Psychology Syndrome." 2010, p 130

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag