Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Anyone else using yoga?
    #1275541 - 02/03/03 07:47 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Edited by Enter (02/03/03 07:49 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineshaggy101
Male

Loc: ..still waiting for godot
Re: Anyone else using yoga? [Re: World Spirit]
    #1275608 - 02/03/03 08:19 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

No but I do meditate and pray and exercise and (try) to sleep right and eat well and drink lots of WATER :grin:
result: I feel well
contentness
a feeling of well being
it beats happiness and (obviosly) sadness IMO
when your content sadness seems lesser and happiness so much greater!

Offlineshaggy101
Male

Loc: ..still waiting for godot
    #1275620 - 02/03/03 08:24 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

hey although im "inside my head" alot too- Theory, Philosophy, and meaningless conversation are some of my favorite things :crazy:

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
    #1276112 - 02/04/03 01:40 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I only use the plain kind. The ones with fruit stuff on the bottom are way too sweet.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineDemon
A Drug AgainstWar

Loc: j00/2 m07h3/2
    #1276154 - 02/04/03 02:26 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I just started to practice yoga, actually

--------------------
"Sex is like a gun.. you aim, you shoot, you run" - Aerosmith

Come visit SacredShrooms.org!

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Anyone else using yoga? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #1276205 - 02/04/03 03:09 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #1277028 - 02/04/03 08:30 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I've never practiced "yoga" necessarily, but I often perform a routine of stretches simply for the purpose of increasing my flexibility. 

I started doing these about three years ago when I joined the diving team at my high school, and the coach required us to do daily flexibility exercises.  Flexibility is very important to good health and overall fitness, and it also reduces the risk of injury while exercising.

In addition, taking the time to have a nice stretching session every day does give me a general feeling of contentment and well-being.  I just feel good when I stretch!  :smile:  That is why I have continued the practice even though I am no longer a diver.

I really feel that staying in good physical shape really helps keep your mind and emotional state healthy as well.  There is a definite correlation between mind and body, and I think it's an important one that many people overlook.

I've also read that stretching and maintaining good flexibility promotes a good, healthy flow of Qi, or vital life energy, in your body.  If you believe in this traditional Chinese theory; this could explain why yoga/stretching has such a positive impact on both your physical and emotional health.

For all the benefits that it has, I don't see why more people don't take time out of their day to do this simple practice.  So if you don't already, start stretching, people! :laugh: 

Just make sure to do it right...  I'm sure there's plenty of online resources where you can learn how to stretch safely and how to properly derive the most benefits from your stretching.  If you do the stretches improperly, they can actually cause more harm than good.

-RebelSteve 

EDIT:  LOL... I just read through my post and realized that I sound like a motivational speaker for stretching or something!  I should start an ad campaign!  :laugh:

--------------------
Namaste.

Edited by RebelSteve33 (02/04/03 08:31 AM)

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Anyone else using yoga? [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1279564 - 02/04/03 08:15 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflineLeya
Mischief Maker

Re: Anyone else using yoga? [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1279963 - 02/05/03 01:14 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

if i wasn't doing yoga everyday already, you would have certainly sold me on the idea of "stretching" daily  :grin: :grin:

--------------------
Your denial is beneath you, and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs, I see through you.

Offlinenightowl
nightowl
Loc: Puget Sound
    #1281580 - 02/05/03 12:33 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I have been doing yoga for years and believe it is the main reason I am still reasonably healthy. Anyone interested could get a video from the library, or maybe two or three so you have a better chance of finding one you enjoy, and try it out. There are several "schools" of yoga, from the simple healthy relaxation end to the absolutely kick your ass killer workout with lots of the meditator, tune into the cosmos folks in there somewhere. I often do yoga in altered states and really love the effect....

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

Loc: Terrapin Station
    #1281648 - 02/05/03 12:52 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I do some yoga everyday before my meditation. I find it amazing for relieving stress and getting my energy flowing. It`s great physicaly and mentaly.
Yoga+meditation+exercise+right diet+4 high dose mushroom trips per year=complete balance in my life :grin: 

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

InvisibleMountainMist
Stranger

Loc: Seattle, Washington
    #1281752 - 02/05/03 01:28 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Yoga's great. There was a period a few years back when I was doing it every day, without fail. For whatever reasons (and yoga was surely one of them) it was probably one of the happiest periods of my life.

Simple stretching is good too. Animals need to stretch, and they do it naturally and instinctively all the time. Anyone who's ever had a dog or cat knows this. Yoga stretches are more insteresting than simple calisthenic stretches, IMO, but they're all good. Yoga also has interesting positions that do things for you that no stretch ever would, especially the headstand and shoulderstand.

Pranayama breath exercises are also excellent. Oxygen is life, after all. In some ways they're even more energizing that the asanas (positions) themselves. Give these a try if you get a chance.

I recommend yoga and pranayama highly to anyone. I personally like the style that's outlined in the Sivananda Companion to Yoga, but Iyengar style (found in Light on Yoga) is great too if you're already in good shape (Light on Yoga also has the most comprehensive Pranayama instructions). I do a combination of both styles. Videos are helpful, but unfortunately most of the video instructors are sort of irritating and condescening. If anyone knows a good video that escapes that trap, I'd be very grateful for the info.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#1282174 - 02/05/03 03:37 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

DID YOU KNOW ?: Yoga is divided into 4 basic forms: Karma (path of action), Bhakti (path of devotion), Jnana (path of knowledge) and Raja ('kingly' science of mental control). Christianity has its particular representatives of each of these paths within its own fold, from the Mother Theresa social activist on the path of action, to Teresa of Avila's devotional path, to the logical Scholastics of Thomas Aquinas, to the silent solitary contemplative Carthusian monks.

Raja Yoga is subdivided into 3 more divisions: Mantra, Kundalini and Hatha (Sun-Moon). All of these subdivisions embody 8 limbs (ashtanga):
1) Yama - moral purification preparatory to Yoga (no lying, stealing, etc.)
2) Niyama - abstinences, celibacy, humility, study, worship of God
3) Asanas - the physical postures
4) Pranayama - breath control; techniques of breathing with visualizations
5) Pratyahara - sense withdrawal
6) Dharana - concentration
7) Dhyana - meditation
8) Samadhi - contemplation or superconsciousness (with subdivisions)

The Samkhya school of Yoga, like Buddhism, does not address Yoga with a personal God (Yoga means Union, as in mysticism), but Vedanta does. There is a book by J.M. Dechanet called 'Christian Yoga' which received the Nihil Obstat and Imprimitur 'seals of approval' from the Catholic Church (not that it matters to you). Yoga accomplishes what Teresa of Avila called "recollection." This is always prerequisite to even the simplest type of prayer. Without recollection, there is just parrot-like speech. The higher forms of prayer - supernatural prayer - are always given by God and never 'attained' by purely human effort. Teresa avoided 'ecstasies' that caused one to become absorbed in God, while other mystics sought them for their own sake because they radically shifted our centers of motivation to a higher level from which we could then effortless act in a compassionate and moral way.

--------------------

Edited by MarkostheGnostic (02/05/03 03:38 PM)

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1282838 - 02/05/03 07:09 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Anyone else using yoga? [Re: MountainMist]
    #1282845 - 02/05/03 07:13 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#1283367 - 02/06/03 01:38 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I'll lend you "Vedanta & Christian Faith'' by Bede Griffiths. He was a Catholic monk in India who sought to hybridize Indian Vedanta with Christianity, as early Greek thinkers did with essentially Hebrew Christianity.

BTW, re: school from your other thread and this...have you considered Bible school/seminary instead of your current avenue?

--------------------

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1283653 - 02/06/03 05:46 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleMountainMist
Stranger

#1283879 - 02/06/03 07:04 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I generally do pranayama as a prelude to meditation. I find that it puts me into a state of calm, yet at the same time invigorated awareness. This makes it much easier to attain deeper levels of meditation more quickly.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "spiritual" experiences. If you mean have I seen visions or anything like that, the answer is no. That may be because I tend not to overexert myself with breathing and I don't actively seek visions. I think if one wanted to do some heavy-duty pranayama alongside special visualization exercises they could probably induce visions, but I personally am not so much into that.

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Anyone else using yoga? [Re: MountainMist]
    #1284115 - 02/06/03 08:30 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Edited by Enter (02/06/03 08:34 AM)

InvisibleMountainMist
Stranger

#1284439 - 02/06/03 09:57 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Oh yes, in that case I think I know what you mean. A clearing away of mental noise, a purification of the body, a feeling of oneness. This occurs in yoga, in tai chi, in pranayama, and in meditation as well. I agree with you wholeheartedly that this is an experience one should have every day. Centering, returning to the source. The longer you go without it, the more the noise and tension builds up, the more thoughts take on circular and pathological patterns. Tension builds in the body as well, which also translates to changes in thought patterns.

I agree with you too that it is important to focus and push oneself to one's limits (within reason). Deep stretching is certainly better than light stretching, once your body is used to it. I would advise caution with pranayama, however. If you do these exercises too forcefully you could create dangerous spikes in blood pressure which, on a bad day, could lead to an aneurysm or something of the sort. Hernia is also a distinct possibility, even for young people.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology