Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Where does originality come from?
    #1274830 - 02/03/03 04:14 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

We are borne into this world a shapeless ball of ego-less clay. At some point in our early development, other people begin to mold that ball of clay into some sort of form. Eventually, that clay will be exquisitely sculpted into the figure of our personality--sculpted completely by other people and the society in which we live.

The first and usually most influential sculptors of our personality are our parents. Looking at who I am and how I live today, I can see huge aspects of my parents' personalities reflected in my own. I've heard many people say (often with fright), "I'm turning into my parents" I told myself I would never let this happen to me, but I'm afraid to say that I can already relate to how those people feel.

Our siblings and teachers also have a huge part in sculpting our personalities. Our close friends may play an even bigger part. I am always noticing reflections of my friends' personalities (from past and present) in my own. Even people that we read about or see on TV can have a small part in shaping who we are.

What I'm trying to say is that we are nothing but reflections of other people. We are reflections of reflections of reflections. No one in this world is truly unique. No one's personality is completely their own.

This fact is frightening to me. It scares me how much of an influence other people have on us. Whether you like it or not, every person you meet is going to affect you and who you are in some way. Even people you've never met can have an effect on you without you even knowing.

It also scares me because it seems to suggest that we are all nothing but bits and pieces of each other, and that we will never be capable of originality since nothing about us is original. Who we are is simply a product of society.

Even when you make a decision or form an opinion about something, it is not really you that is doing that; it is everyone else who has ever had an impact on your personality. Even when you say "I think" or "I feel," you only think or feel that way because other people somehow taught you to think or feel that way.

If all this is true, though, then where do original thoughts and ideas come from? It is obvious that they do exist because new inventions and technology could not be created without them. Artists could not paint original pictures, poets could not write original poems, and musicians could not create original music if we were not somehow capable of creativity and originality.

So what is this part of us that can create original ideas and how does it form when everything else about us is formed by other people? Is it separate from the ego, or is it merely just a part of it? Are anti-social people more creative and original than people who are always around others? Does holding conversations with no one but yourself feed this other part of your brain and stimulate originality?

So many questions...
I don't really expect any answers. It's too difficult for me to even convey what I am really talking about with words. This is just something I have been thinking about a lot lately and thought maybe writing my thoughts down would help me sort out the puzzle.

Unfortunately, I'm still puzzled. My level of intelligence is too low right now to really understand where everyone else ends and the "you" that is capable of originality begins. I guess what I don't understand is how we are even capable of originality in the first place if we are nothing but a creation of society and other people.

Maybe I need to check my premises.

If you guys have any thoughts or insights on the subject that might help, please share them!

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Edited by RebelSteve33 (02/03/03 06:41 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineshaggy101
Male

Loc: ..still waiting for godot
Re: Where does originality come from? [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1275135 - 02/03/03 05:34 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

That is the greatest paradox ive ever come across. I just had a huge philosophical talk with my friend about it..although it didnt answer my question ..maybe it did.
We are all the same -Homo Sapiens and what not- we also seem to have very like minds and thoughts-first of all every one of us has had different experiences which shape our minds, yet we share most of the same thougts and that is the common consciosness..Like how we get toghether with other individuals and weve seen te same shows on tv so thats often the conversation piece-just a fairly bad :smirk: analogy of how (not just in one culture but eveywhere) we all absorb similiar things and the spit them back out.

The way I see it is this You are not your mind(rejected by alot of scientists) but really are You? My mind is my tool-my mediator between myself and the world and this is where the paradox comes in because where I come from is where we alll come from which I will conform to calling  ..GOD.
But that doesnt help because thjats the whole we are ONE thing, Which would make us the same..But thats the magic of the paradox we are all the same yet different, Like it all started in one thought which is Love and Good  thats why we band toghether and fight for these things when we have a common enemy .
its the creation still creating in you thats where I think originality comes from.its really hard to do..but when you except the oneness you see the individual renewed and strenghthened with the force...
The source of all originality is in the mystery.
:confused: I dont know if  explained that to well but I will leave with this think of us here at the shroomery we are for the most part of like-mind yet we can all learn something from each other. For me thats fact, by quieting my ego, and trying to become humble I see other points- of -view and then ponder them and where they are coming from, and sometimes re-evaluate my own beliefs.

Edited by shaggy101 (02/03/03 05:37 PM)

Invisibledjfrog
omgws!!!1!

#1275345 - 02/03/03 06:43 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Distinction of originality and the idea of self arrise at the same time and cannot exist without each other. Fear supposes the idea of self. So who will be there to worry about originality when it is gone?

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1275386 - 02/03/03 06:57 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

"So what is this part of us that can create original ideas and how does it form when everything else about us is formed by other people?"

I think it comes from the fact that we're all different people.. As soon as we're born, our brain starts "recording" everything we experience, and since more than one person can't be in the exact same place at the same time, we're ALWAYS recording different stuff. These differences in experience is what leads people to "think different" or whatever because every one of us has distinctly different data recorded in our brains.

Edit (ADDITION): "No one in this world is truly unique." Well in the way I described above, we're all totally unique - I don't know if its even possible for two people to think the exact same thought from the exact same perspective. Things from other people can certainly rub off on us but I don't think its ever really the exact same traits/knowledge. don't know if i articulated that how I wanted.. I may come back and edit it again :wink:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Edited by Strumpling (02/03/03 07:00 PM)

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: Where does originality come from? [Re: Strumpling]
    #1275395 - 02/03/03 06:59 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

That's a very intelligent thought that did not occur to me! 
Thanks for replying, Strumpling! :laugh:

-RebelSteve 

--------------------
Namaste.

Offlineshaggy101
Male

Loc: ..still waiting for godot
    #1275550 - 02/03/03 07:51 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

That's a very intelligent thought that did not occur to me! 
Thanks for replying, Strumpling! :laugh:

-RebelSteve 

and there it is..

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #1275556 - 02/03/03 07:57 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

That is why I am Holoman.

You should read a book called, "The Holotropic Mind" by Stanislav Graf

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: Where does originality come from? [Re: Strumpling]
    #1275570 - 02/03/03 08:03 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

"No one in this world is truly unique."

True...but but not so true.

I think it is more accurate to say "No one in this world has the same perspective." I agree that we are all one, and that each of us obtains a different perspective representative of our experiences and our animal biology. I even doubt this sometimes, thinking we are all the same, with the same perspectives, but we are fooling ourselves into thinking we are different.

Even when you disagree you are agreeing to the idea.

Of course I don't really believe these things...but they just might be true.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1275858 - 02/03/03 10:10 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

It's all about entropy.

As the universe ages, it degrades becoming more disordered, but in doing so, more complex.

As the overall level or order in the universe decreases the energy density becomes more homogenous. This process results in a flow of energy which carries with it an amount of order.

Energy passes from the sun, into the earth, and back out again in a lower state of order leaving behind the residue of some of the order that was not destroyed.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology