Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineefarley
Lazy Bastard
Male

Re: Should I crumble and case or just birth a BRF cake? [Re: Nanoid]
    #12759966 - 06/17/10 07:56 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Ok well I have just dunked and rolled 3 cakes then dunked and crumbled 2 more then mixed them with a Coir/Coffee/Verm mix. I'll keep everyone updated of the results.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleYHWH
Fuck, I'm drunk
Male

Loc: downstairs
    #12760055 - 06/17/10 08:11 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Nanoid said:
Casing is just a way to combine whatever colonized cakes/grains you have into one grow.  It doesn't add much, if any, nutrition/food.  it just gives something for the mycelium to grab onto so you can fruit it as one instead of multiple cakes.

Casing is not a term describing mixing your cakes together without adding anymore substrate and adding a casing layer. Casing just means you added a casing layer. You can case a bulk grow too.

--------------------
I never felt as empty as I feel today...

OfflineNanoid
See lost a seat You bend this
Male

Re: Should I crumble and case or just birth a BRF cake? [Re: YHWH]
    #12760236 - 06/17/10 08:34 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

0therean said:
Quote:

Nanoid said:
Casing is just a way to combine whatever colonized cakes/grains you have into one grow.  It doesn't add much, if any, nutrition/food.  it just gives something for the mycelium to grab onto so you can fruit it as one instead of multiple cakes.

Casing is not a term describing mixing your cakes together without adding anymore substrate and adding a casing layer. Casing just means you added a casing layer. You can case a bulk grow too.

Yes, I realize that.  I was particularly referring to casing straight grains or cakes.  All I meant to say was that it doesn't really 'add' anything, it just provides a better environment for the myc and doesn't add any 'fruiting bulk' to whatever it is you are casing.

--------------------

InvisibleYHWH
Fuck, I'm drunk
Male

Loc: downstairs
    #12760264 - 06/17/10 08:37 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I think cakes spawned to bulk would be better than fruiting cakes. But crumbling and casing is pointless, you can get the same yield off the cakes with less work.

--------------------
I never felt as empty as I feel today...

OfflineiFung
Male User Gallery

Re: Should I crumble and case or just birth a BRF cake? [Re: YHWH]
    #12760274 - 06/17/10 08:40 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------

Get flushes like this from a half pint cake:
Cake2Bowl Tek

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Loc: Westcoast Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Should I crumble and case or just birth a BRF cake? [Re: iFung]
    #12760435 - 06/17/10 09:08 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

iFung said:
I recommend this:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/12759690

The yeilds in your tek are normal for 1/2 pint cakes. Why bother spawning a cake to verm when it will yield just as much as a cake

OfflineiFung
Male User Gallery

Re: Should I crumble and case or just birth a BRF cake? [Re: Shea25]
    #12760518 - 06/17/10 09:20 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I dunno man... In all my cakes I've never gotten a flush that good.  I have seen a few pictures of really good cakes which I still don't think quite match up.  Perhaps it is possible to get flushes that good with cakes but IMO it seems much easier and more reliable to do with my tek.  After all, I went from getting ~40g wet on cakes to 70g - 100g wet in a bowl without doing anything crazy or hard or time consuming.

Have you tried it?  Your cakes come out pretty good, perhaps you could do even better in a bowl?

In any event, why knock it?  Different strokes for different folks.  I have found the Cake2Bowl tek to work well for me.  Perhaps it will for others as well.  Just trying to help here...

--------------------

Get flushes like this from a half pint cake:
Cake2Bowl Tek

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #12760545 - 06/17/10 09:24 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Im not knocking the concept its pretty neat. Just for me cakes always seem to preform better as cakes. I have spawned cakes to pure verm before, I just find why bother using up more verm and busting up a cake when the yeilds are already in the 13+ dry gram range, but thats just me

OfflineNanoid
Male

#12761067 - 06/17/10 10:53 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

iFung said:
I dunno man... In all my cakes I've never gotten a flush that good.  I have seen a few pictures of really good cakes which I still don't think quite match up.  Perhaps it is possible to get flushes that good with cakes but IMO it seems much easier and more reliable to do with my tek.  After all, I went from getting ~40g wet on cakes to 70g - 100g wet in a bowl without doing anything crazy or hard or time consuming.

Have you tried it?  Your cakes come out pretty good, perhaps you could do even better in a bowl?

In any event, why knock it?  Different strokes for different folks.  I have found the Cake2Bowl tek to work well for me.  Perhaps it will for others as well.  Just trying to help here...

You should try a mini-bulk with your bowels.  Instead of using mostly non-nutritious verm, try using nutritious coir + verm.

Using Damion's Elementary coir tek + my mini-coir measurements, you can get whatever desired amount of subb you need.  And undoubtedly it will out-perform just using verm since it gives the myc some more food and nutrients to help give bigger yields.  Plus it's not very hard to do at all.  Basically just add boiling water, wait a few hours, mix in spawn and you are good to go.

In case you want to try it, here is the measurements I came up with using Damion's Elem coir tek. The measurement below will make exactly 1 pint of coir-verm substrate.

20g dry coir
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup verm

I recently started a grow doing this, I spawned four 1/4 pints to 2 pints of coir + verm in a nice small container that gave me about 2.5in of substrate.  After 1.5 days it has already grown a lot.  I am going to check it again tomorrow to see how much further along it is.

This is the growth after one and a half days.

If it is successful, I will have effectively tripled the amount of colonized nutritious substrate to fruit off of.  And no doubt it should provide a heck of a lot better yield than four 1/4 pints could have done (I hope).

--------------------

Offlineefarley
Lazy Bastard
Male

#12762367 - 06/18/10 08:18 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Naniod I am doing something very similar but with the addition of Coffee grounds. I would also add Gypsum and crushed oyster shells if I was able to locate ether of them anywhere.

Shea25: 13+ grams dry from 1 cake would be fantastic but from my experience I have gotten about 1/2 that from my cakes. although admittedly I don't have a ton of experience with them but I have found around a 6 gram dry yield to be average and from reading on here that is right in the ball park that most people report from BRF cakes dunked and rolled. So while for you adding the cake to a bulk like coir to get 13+ grams might be a waste of time but for me it would be doubling my yields for an extra half hour investment. Besides I would image if you tried the same you could substantially increase your 13 grams

Personally I wouldn't spawn to pure verm as I want to give my myc. as much nutrition as possible and help it use that energy as efficiently as possible, and spending time colonizing dry verm while not receiving any new nutrients in return for the energy used in the colonization is counter productive especially when compared to a nutritious sub such as Coir that not only adds to the amount of myc but should create healthier better feed myc, and I think everyone can agree that means larger yields of bigger shrooms with more potency.

OfflinePsylioSynethesis
Experimentalist
Male User Gallery

Re: Should I crumble and case or just birth a BRF cake? [Re: efarley]
    #12762577 - 06/18/10 09:20 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Vermiculite does have nutrients though. You don't have to take my word for it->

Quote:

Another myth is that vermiculite is non-nutritious for fungi.  I even bought into that one until a year or two ago, when it became obvious that it's a nice food source for fungi in addition to fluffing up a substrate and holding lots of moisture.

You'll find old posts of mine where I say it has 'no nutes' and other stuff like that.  I now disavow that earlier information and stand corrected.
RR

--------------------
P~S

OfflineChronicCluster
Lord Cephalopod is Reborn!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #12764564 - 06/18/10 04:12 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

efarley said:
Naniod I am doing something very similar but with the addition of Coffee grounds. I would also add Gypsum and crushed oyster shells if I was able to locate ether of them anywhere.

Shea25: 13+ grams dry from 1 cake would be fantastic but from my experience I have gotten about 1/2 that from my cakes. although admittedly I don't have a ton of experience with them but I have found around a 6 gram dry yield to be average and from reading on here that is right in the ball park that most people report from BRF cakes dunked and rolled. So while for you adding the cake to a bulk like coir to get 13+ grams might be a waste of time but for me it would be doubling my yields for an extra half hour investment. Besides I would image if you tried the same you could substantially increase your 13 grams

Personally I wouldn't spawn to pure verm as I want to give my myc. as much nutrition as possible and help it use that energy as efficiently as possible, and spending time colonizing dry verm while not receiving any new nutrients in return for the energy used in the colonization is counter productive especially when compared to a nutritious sub such as Coir that not only adds to the amount of myc but should create healthier better feed myc, and I think everyone can agree that means larger yields of bigger shrooms with more potency.

Go buy some drywall from your local home depot or similar.  It's cheap, and its gypsum. unless you live 3hrs from civilization, Problem solved.

--------------------
This site needs some submissions.  You should probably help out...
NawMean?

OfflineNanoid
Male

#12764647 - 06/18/10 04:29 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

efarley said:

Unless you are going to properly pasteurize that coffee, or straight up sterilize it in the PC, I would avoid it.  If you do the simple 'add boiling water' method with coffee, your chances of contams are greatly increased, almost guaranteed.

Coir is one of the most nutritious bulk subs out there, second to hpoo I think.  It's easy to find, cheap and is very mold resistant.  You absolutely cannot go wrong with it.

As for gypsum, I got a box of the stuff at my local plant nursery.  Unless your town doesn't have any places that sell plants or trees, you should be able to find it fairly easily.  Or you could just order it online.

--------------------

Offlineefarley
Lazy Bastard
Male

#12765352 - 06/18/10 06:50 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah I refuse to pay the prices of shipping for anything mushroom related. $10 shipping for a $4 purchase is insane. I can't image a teaspoon of gypsum makes that big of a difference anyways. I'm sure it's worth the $4 investment but at $15 I could be buying a whole world of more useful things including a new strain.

InvisibleNuminosum
President of Turd Town
Male User Gallery

#12765402 - 06/18/10 07:01 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

efarley said:
Yeah I refuse to pay the prices of shipping for anything mushroom related. $10 shipping for a $4 purchase is insane. I can't image a teaspoon of gypsum makes that big of a difference anyways. I'm sure it's worth the $4 investment but at $15 I could be buying a whole world of more useful things including a new strain.

Right I won't pay ridiculous shipping charges either. But it isn't necessary.

Even if a nursery near you doesn't carry gypsum, I can almost guarantee that they carry a brand
that makes it. Since they already stock the brand in the store, it costs them no extra money to
order it for you, and therefore charge you regular mark up.

--------------------
...within my memory is the knowledge of hyper-light drive ships and how to build them.

Doc_T's Efficiency Challenge

Offlinemathias
Ersatz Haderach
Male User Gallery

#12765409 - 06/18/10 07:03 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Gypsum is the single most important additive. Hands down.
Get a fragment of drywall. Any old scrap will do. If you are worried about contams, boil the hell out of it. Let it dry, powder it, and presto! You have gypsum.

--------------------
intlslacker : "Why is it I always have the feeling that if RR weren't around it'd be like there were toddlers running around, bumping into walls and eating poisonous mushrooms?"

Offlineefarley
Lazy Bastard
Male

Re: Should I crumble and case or just birth a BRF cake? [Re: mathias]
    #12765597 - 06/18/10 07:45 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

It's great to know that drywall is gypsum. Now I can acquire some! Thanks!

Have any of you tried any of the calcium supplements with vitamin D? They say they are 100% calcium carbonate so I figure the vitamin D shouldn't hurt anything. Any opinions?

Edited by efarley (06/18/10 07:46 PM)

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #12765608 - 06/18/10 07:47 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

That's not gypsum, it's oyster shell.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #12765628 - 06/18/10 07:51 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

efarley said:
It's great to know that drywall is gypsum. Now I can acquire some! Thanks!

Have any of you tried any of the calcium supplements with vitamin D? They say they are 100% calcium carbonate so I figure the vitamin D shouldn't hurt anything. Any opinions?

Gypsum is Calcium sulfate, It aids in the growth of mushrooms.

Calcium Carbonate is stuff like oyster shells and egg shells, its a long term buffer which has ZERO use in cakes or bulk grows, it "can" be used to buffer casings, I say can due to the fact it takes a very long time for the buffering properties to take place.

Hydrated lime is best for buffering casings. Hydrated lime starts off as Calcium Carbonate its heated to 900C for a few hours and turns into Calcium Oxide(VERY VERY dangerous) and is then placed into water(The water will boil and get VERY hot)now it turned into Calcium hydroxide which is Hydrated lime,

Edited by Shea25 (06/18/10 07:53 PM)

Offlineefarley
Lazy Bastard
Male

Re: Should I crumble and case or just birth a BRF cake? [Re: Doc_T]
    #12765639 - 06/18/10 07:52 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I know I have moved onto my search for calcium carbonate now that I have located a source of available gypsum. I can't find oyster shell or anything listed as just calcium carbonate. I can find Calcium Carbonate with Vit. D or a cheaper coarse "Non-Toxic" glow in the dark Calcium Carbonate for reptile bedding.

I am trying to stay away from Lime.

Edited by efarley (06/18/10 07:53 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order