Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSpiffy
Defender of theGnomes

Loc: Next to your mom
Nelson Mandela Speaks out on US war with Iraq
    #1262825 - 01/30/03 04:53 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I found this articla on AOL News...sorry I can't post a link but it would be useless to anyone without AOL. stupid AOL. But anyway...I thought this was a well written article quoting Nelson Mandela and his opposition to Bush. I have a world of respect for Mandela and I agree with what he is saying....what do you all think?
Quote:

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa (Jan. 30) - Former President Nelson Mandela called President Bush arrogant and shortsighted and implied that he was racist for ignoring the United Nations in his zeal to attack Iraq.

In a speech Thursday, Mandela urged the people of the United States to join massive protests against Bush. Mandela called on world leaders, especially those with vetoes in the U.N. Security Council, to oppose him.

''One power with a president who has no foresight and cannot think properly, is now wanting to plunge the world into a holocaust,'' Mandela told the International Women's Forum.

Mandela also criticized Iraq for not cooperating fully with the weapons inspectors and said South Africa would support any action against Iraq that was supported by the United Nations.

White House spokesman Ari Fleischer responded to Mandela's criticism by pointing to a letter by eight European leaders reiterating their support of Bush.

''The president expresses his gratitude to the many leaders of Europe who obviously feel differently'' than Mandela, Fleischer said. ''He understands there are going to be people who are more comfortable doing nothing about a growing menace that could turn into a holocaust.''

A Nobel Peace Prize winner, Mandela has repeatedly condemned U.S. behavior toward Iraq in recent months and demanded Bush respect the authority of the United Nations. His comments Thursday, though, were far more critical and his attack on Bush far more personal than in the past.

''Why is the United States behaving so arrogantly?'' he asked. ''All that (Bush) wants is Iraqi oil,'' he said.

He accused Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair of undermining the United Nations and U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan, who is from Ghana.

''Is it because the secretary-general of the United Nations is now a black man? They never did that when secretary-generals were white,'' he said.

Mandela said the United Nations was the main reason there has been no World War III and it should make the decisions on how to deal with Iraq.

He said that the United States, which callously dropped atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, has no moral authority to police the world.

''If there is a country that has committed unspeakable atrocities in the world, it is the United States of America. They don't care for human beings,'' he said.

''Who are they now to pretend that they are the policemen of the world, the ones that should decide for the people of Iraq what should be done with their government and their leadership?'' he said.

He said Bush was ''trying to bring about carnage'' and appealed to the American people to vote him out of office and demonstrate against his policies.

He also condemned Blair for his strong support of the United States.

''He is the foreign minister of the United States. He is no longer prime minister of Britain,'' he said.

AP-NY-01-30-03 1308EST

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

--------------------
Namaste: "I honour that place in you where the whole Universe resides. And when I am in that place in me and you are in that place in you,
there is only one of us."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinethe universe
Harbinger ofEldritch Despair
Male

Loc: Under your bed
Re: Nelson Mandela Speaks out on US war with Iraq [Re: Spiffy]
    #1262956 - 01/30/03 05:46 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Preach on Mandela! Bush shouldn't even BE our president legally. Let's watch the U.S. become a 3rd world country due to global retaliation to our arrogant nonsense.

--------------------
"If you had a million years to do it in, you couldn't rub out even half the 'Fuck you' signs in the world."- J. D. Salinger

InvisibleYoung_but_cool
Stranger
Male

Loc: Old Europe
    #1263859 - 01/30/03 11:42 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I also agree with what he is saying.

Quote:

White House spokesman Ari Fleischer responded to Mandela's criticism by pointing to a letter by eight European leaders reiterating their support of Bush.

''The president expresses his gratitude to the many leaders of Europe who obviously feel differently'' than Mandela, Fleischer said

Yeah I live in Europe and here is a broad consensus among the politicians, as well as the public, that Bush is a fanatic lunatic. The leaders who according to Fleicher supports Bush, are of the view that it is better to have good relations with the US and keep them at the negotiation table rather than having them go bezerk at their own. They dont "support" Bush, they just dont want to burn all the bridges for diplomatic communication, they still want to have a say in what will happen in the world for the next couple of years.

InvisibleMeltingPenguin
Pooh-Bah

Loc: new england
    #1264164 - 01/31/03 02:26 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Mandela is all powerful,, and he played the race card, good work Nelson, finally someone plays the race card in the name of good for a change!!!

WHOO HOO

FREE MUMIA

--------------------
Growing anything is good for the soul

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1264294 - 01/31/03 03:58 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

The last thing Iraq needs is to become the next Japan.  :blush:

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #1264344 - 01/31/03 04:25 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, go Nelson!

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
    #1267411 - 02/01/03 06:35 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Nelson Mandela is right!

Quote:

He accused Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair of undermining the United Nations and U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan, who is from Ghana.

''Is it because the secretary-general of the United Nations is now a black man? They never did that when secretary-generals were white,'' he said.

I find this a bit excessive. He doesn't know if it is, and just b/c this happened now when a black man is secretary-general, doesn't mean it's racism...The US have always been like that even when secretary-generals were white...

Quote:

I am deeply ashamed that the prime-minister (not the parliament, who truly speaks for the people) of my country has signed this letter...Damn son of a bitch talking for all the portuguese people...
We're a small country and this mother-f***er only marks our position of subserviency (sp?) to the USA and the UK.
He doesn't give a shit about the tirany in Iraq...He is just joining the powerful side. I have serious doubts that he would side with the US if Iraq was more powerful. What he wants is a part of the oil Bush is gonna win with this war. What he can't see is that Bush will never give him any...
He wants to make us their slaves and has already gave permission to the US to use NATO's military base in Lages, Azores independently of any UN decision...
Dur?o Barroso is really a stupid prick...

I'm really ashamed of my country's position in this matter...We were always a pacific country. Always for peace, always for diplomatic resolution of ALL conflicts. We don't hurt no one, no one hurts us..Why does this ignorant bastard comes right now and thinks he can change that...
Maybe he likes to give head to Mr. Bush...who knows?

Sorry for the rambling, but i'm really revolted with the world situation at the time :mad:...Especially with the situation in my own country. Almost everyone i know here in Portugal is against this conflict but oficially we all support it b/c of that signature. Even our President is against a military solution.
In the last US wars, i felt revolted by what was happening...but my conscience was clear b/c of the positions my country took (except in kosovo war were we also took part as a member of NATO)...Now i can't even feel at peace with my own state... :frown:   

InvisibleXibalba
Stranger
Re: Nelson Mandela Speaks out on US war with Iraq [Re: esin]
    #1267858 - 02/01/03 10:00 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Relax, no one has any quarrel with the Portugese. I'm an American, be glad you don't have that karma to drag around right now. Everybody hates us.
I don't know, I'm just starting to get a bad feeling that later in my life, having been an American citizen in these times will carry the same stigma as having been a German citizen in the 1930s...

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
Re: Nelson Mandela Speaks out on US war with Iraq [Re: Xibalba]
    #1269987 - 02/02/03 03:26 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Well, i know that! I didn't post that b/c there was any...

I was just in the afterglow of an acid trip where i thought about it a lot (i had seen the newsflash where the guy signed the letter a couple of hours before the trip).
I had that stuck in my throat and just had to spill it somewhere  :crazy:

Besides, i don't think everybody hates you...They just hate your government and especially mr Bush...

As far as i know there's a lot of american people who are against this situation...

And I totally understand it must be a lot more difficult to be in your position than in mine...

Peace!

OfflineFred Garvin
Male Prostitute
Loc: The northern part of sout...
    #1271093 - 02/02/03 11:38 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Nelson Mandela is a fucking tool.

--------------------

The above statements are just the incoherent babblings of your friendly neighborhood Cracker!

Shur drinkin kils brane sells--but only the week ones!!

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Nelson Mandela Speaks out on US war with Iraq [Re: Fred Garvin]
    #1271319 - 02/02/03 01:43 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

How dare you say that??? Nelson Mandela is one of the greatest civil rights leaders of the 20th century. He brought an end to apartheid, for God's sake! That's got to be worth something. You may not agree with what he said about about Iraq, but give the man the respect he deserves.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleSpiffy
Defender of theGnomes

Re: Nelson Mandela Speaks out on US war with Iraq [Re: silversoul7]
    #1271829 - 02/02/03 05:03 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

well said

--------------------
Namaste: "I honour that place in you where the whole Universe resides. And when I am in that place in me and you are in that place in you,

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1271969 - 02/02/03 06:11 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Hmm... That's what I thought too.

But aparently he's a doofus.  :confused:

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineFred Garvin
Male Prostitute
Loc: The northern part of sout...
Re: Nelson Mandela Speaks out on US war with Iraq [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1272416 - 02/02/03 10:47 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Fuck Nelson Mandela, I don't have the same view of him as you, that's why I dare to say it.

--------------------

The above statements are just the incoherent babblings of your friendly neighborhood Cracker!

Shur drinkin kils brane sells--but only the week ones!!

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1272878 - 02/03/03 04:47 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

So you think apartheid was a good thing???

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Nelson Mandela Speaks out on US war with Iraq [Re: silversoul7]
    #1274812 - 02/03/03 02:08 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

He did a lot of good work, but that doesn't mean his shit don't stink.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1275164 - 02/03/03 03:42 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I meant Mandella is a doofus.

--------------------

InvisibleSpiffy
Defender of theGnomes

Re: Nelson Mandela Speaks out on US war with Iraq [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1275377 - 02/03/03 04:54 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Listen guys, I think its great that you have an opinion and want to share it. Our differences are what make the world great...but this thread is intended to share an article and not to argue over what people think of Nelson Mandela...I really don't want this to turn into a flame war...so please be nice.

--------------------

OfflineDERRAYLD
Constructus
Male User Gallery
Loc: South Africa
    #1276184 - 02/04/03 12:47 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Your basis for insulting Nelson mandela is totally unfounded.
You just come here and slate him instead of actually making a senseable comment.
No one wants your stupid comments.
As Spiffy stated, we are here to comment on the speech and it`s relevence, not Mandela as an individual.

And I think it`s about time someone spoke out about Bush and his Mad champaigns of war.
If it takes South Africa being reutrned back into the Dark-ages because of speaking out then so be it.
I`ll still live here happily knowing my former president said no to the US and it`s blind tirrany.
Enough of the madness, for goodness sake.
You americans get oppressed by the government and bush's ideas everyday, hell you can`t even smoke dope without fearing for your life.

Respect to Mandela for what he had to say.

Edited by DERRAYLD (02/04/03 12:49 AM)

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #1277412 - 02/04/03 08:24 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Debate is fine.

If you have a problem with Mandela, explain it.

You're apparently too stupid to articulate your ideas though.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom