Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblejozeph5
Stranger
extracting from stones
    #1271940 - 02/02/03 07:53 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I am curious if anyone has tried extracting from philosophers stones?  If so, any pointers -other than what is already covered in the search engine?  Yes, I know that special care needs to be taken to make sure the material is dry and finely ground.  Comaparative yeilds to  extracting from fruitbodies?

As an aside, HE*T is a great OTC source for nearly dry methanol for extractions- very little water content (if I remember correctly, water is one of the culprits when it comes to lowering final yeild) -if you want to dry your methanol, CaO is pretty much your only viable drying agent for this solvent- it goes by the name 'quick lime' - but be very careful using the stuff obtained from hardware stores, as it is (probably) always the hydrated stuff, meaning that it has already absorbed all the water its capable of gathering.  Read the bag and/or ask to see a MSDS (material safety data sheet) to verify.  You'll probably need to go to the chem supply to get the good stuff.  Also, distillation, either atmospheric or vacuum distillation will do little to remove the trace amounts of water that are present in most solvents... drying agents are where its at (yes, a dean-stark trap may bee used for certain things, as well as azetropic distillation- but these procedures are pretty much a waste when you factor in the damage youll bee inflicting on your pump as well as the fact that they are primarily used when/if your dealing with larger percentages of water than what is commonly found in these OTC sources).  Sorry for the rambling, but I figured Id give a little to get a little :wink: 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: extracting from stones [Re: jozeph5]
    #1272690 - 02/03/03 05:15 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

corn grits and corn starch and zeolites will also dry alcohol.

--------------------
support the free spore ring http://fsre.nl/

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology