Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMonkeyKnifeFight
Stranger
 User Gallery

Advice on cakes that won't fruit w/ pics
    #12717763 - 06/09/10 10:17 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Hey folks I have what must be a terribly typical newbie question.  I have so far had really terrible luck getting anything to fruit.  Most of my cakes haven't finished colonizing for whatever reason.  So now I have two cakes that have finished colonizing and gone into the fruiting chamber and they are refusing to fruit.  It would be really nice to get some success at this point so I was hoping someone might be able to offer some advice.  I soaked both the cakes for 24 hours and rolled them in verm and then sprayed them a couple times a day.  The first cake that went into the fruiting chamber has been in there for weeks now.  It completely colonized the verm layer but just doesn't seem to want to fruit.  The other has been in the fruiting chamber for maybe 2 weeks but also doesn't seem to be doing too much except growing more mycelium.  Here are pics I just took of the cakes:

Older cake:

Newer cake.  This one has a blue tint to it I'm wondering if it is contaminated.

They have been sitting in my fruiting chamber which is an acrylic aquarium with a pool of water and an aquarium heater.  I also have an ultrasonic mister blowing into the tank and a computer fan on a timer to blow 15 minutes every hour.  The temp seems to hang in the mid 70's and the fan pumps a good bit of air into the tank so it seems like my temp and FAE should be OK.  My humidistat broke so I can't say what the humidity is exactly but with the pool of warm water and the moist air being pumped in it seems to stay pretty moist.  There's lots of condensation which gets cleared out when the fan blows.

Anyone have any suggestions?  Could the cakes be contaminated or something to stop the fruiting even though they appeared to colonize fully?  At this point the older cake has completely colonized the verm on the outside so is it screwed?  Should i try to dunk and roll it again?  I guess I'm at a loss and would like any suggestions.

Thanks!
Chris

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Loc: Westcoast Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Advice on cakes that won't fruit w/ pics [Re: MonkeyKnifeFight]
    #12717801 - 06/09/10 10:22 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Cakes should finish colonizing before fruiting. Build a Shotgun terrarium and Mist 3-4 times a day then fan, fan 5-6 times a day. Water evaporating off the cakes will be your biggest pinning trigger. Give them a 12/12 light schedule use a 6500K florescent light.

Also after 2 weeks if they have not pinned then dunk them again for 24 hours   

Read this

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11585613/fpart/1

Edited by Shea25 (06/09/10 10:22 PM)

OfflineMad_Hatter2004
Surfista Amigo
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in teh Northern... Flag
    #12717835 - 06/09/10 10:25 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Did you wait a week after noticing 100% colonization to allow the mycelium to consolidate the cakes?

Have you been supplying 12on/12off light cycle with a 6500k bulb?

Get another hygrometer to make sure your RH% isn't too low.

Make a Shotgun FC....tried and true.

The cake with the blue tint(s) is either bruising or the cake has been allowed to get to dry.

Build a shotgun FC and use 4" to 5" of wet perlite...follow the tek to the T.Just make sure the temperature of the area the FC sits in is reasonable (room temperature...70 F to 80 F).Mist and fan frequently.Ditch that computer fan,that might be what's causing the cakes surface to dry out too much causing the bluing that you are seeing.

--------------------
7 days without waves makes one weak!

InvisibleMonkeyKnifeFight
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Advice on cakes that won't fruit w/ pics [Re: Mad_Hatter2004]
    #12718124 - 06/09/10 11:24 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the quick advice guys.  I did let the cakes colonize completely and did give them some time ~a week afterwords to finish up.  The uncolonized bits on the one cake is the verm i rolled them in.  I'm not using a bulb for light.  They get indirect daylight at whatever ratio it is these days.  Is the artificial light necessary?  I managed to get some oysters to fruit in this tank a little while back so I figured there was enough light.  I can pick up a light if that will help.

I'll get another hygrometer.  They always seem to suck so much I've gotten sick of getting new ones.  But it'd be better to know for sure it's humid enough in there.  It's also been awhile so maybe i'll try dunking them again and see if that helps at all.

OfflineMad_Hatter2004
Surfista Amigo
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in teh Northern... Flag
    #12718253 - 06/09/10 11:54 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Adequate lighting is important.Hell I'd just pick up a 15w 6500k CFL for a couple bucks and use that...it costs mere fractions of a penny to run.

--------------------
7 days without waves makes one weak!

OfflineGiggle_Grower
A lil less noob each day
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shroomery
Re: Advice on cakes that won't fruit w/ pics [Re: Mad_Hatter2004]
    #12718413 - 06/10/10 12:46 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

i had i cake like your first one with that kind of marshmallow texture to it. it turned out to be trich myc, tho it was only on the verm layer from the roll.

definetly get a light and build a SG chamber.

--------------------
I'm  always interested in trades.
The Awesome Purple Mystics
Noobs! The best tool here is up top to the right. Don't  forget about it. Just type your question in!:cool:
RR is my favorite source of knowledge. Check out his videos!

If I forgot to leave you a rating, please remind me.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix