Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedoornoblightbulb
Demigod
Male User Gallery

Is it possible to cleanse a house of trich spores?
    #12718114 - 06/09/10 11:22 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Obviously the best method of preventing trich is to throw away contaminated jars, but what if you're house is already contaminated?

I'm just curious because I'm moving into a new house in a few months, and the previous owners were messy college students who left garbage lying around. Since then the house has been cleaned, but I have a feeling its going to be a lot less sterile then the rooms I've become accustomed to at my current house.

Would spraying a room down with intense amounts of lysol accomplish anything? Is there any semi-effective method of givng your house a complete clean down?

I ask this now because I want to give the house a total clean down BEFORE I move furniture in there. Hopefully turning on some fans and unloading 5 bottles of lysol into the air will help kill any unwanted spores. What do you think?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineafrosheen
9Lives the cat
Male User Gallery

Re: Is it possible to cleanse a house of trich spores? [Re: doornoblightbulb]
    #12718346 - 06/10/10 12:15 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Bleach bomb that place, make sure you get the vents too. Check moist areas (bathroom, bathroom vents) for funk, eliminate it where you find it. Swap out the A/C filter with a Filtrete 1900 which will trap alot of baddies, run a true HEPA filter in your grow room for a few days too.

--------------------

OfflineNanoid
See lost a seat You bend this
Male

Re: Is it possible to cleanse a house of trich spores? [Re: afrosheen]
    #12718372 - 06/10/10 12:27 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

UV-C light will do the trick, but you have to be careful with it.  Plus it really only gets the surfaces and airborne stuff, the nooks and crannies would still be laden with spores.

--------------------

InvisibleSci-Fi
OG
Male User Gallery

Re: Is it possible to cleanse a house of trich spores? [Re: doornoblightbulb] * 1
    #12718465 - 06/10/10 01:03 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

doornoblightbulb said:
Would spraying a room down with intense amounts of lysol accomplish anything? Is there any semi-effective method of givng your house a complete clean down?

I ask this now because I want to give the house a total clean down BEFORE I move furniture in there. Hopefully turning on some fans and unloading 5 bottles of lysol into the air will help kill any unwanted spores. What do you think?

Good sterile technique is far more practical.

Going crazy with Lysol isn't going to keep your room mold free.

A glove box or cheap flow hood would be a much better use of your money.

OfflineGiggle_Grower
A lil less noob each day
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shroomery
Re: Is it possible to cleanse a house of trich spores? [Re: Nanoid]
    #12718477 - 06/10/10 01:04 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

you could always have the house fumigated. im sure that would get rid of the mold spores. all the other advice is good too

--------------------
I'm  always interested in trades.
The Awesome Purple Mystics
Noobs! The best tool here is up top to the right. Don't  forget about it. Just type your question in!:cool:
RR is my favorite source of knowledge. Check out his videos!

If I forgot to leave you a rating, please remind me.

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Male

Loc: The Lot
Re: Is it possible to cleanse a house of trich spores? [Re: afrosheen]
    #12720320 - 06/10/10 12:11 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

afrosheen said:
Bleach bomb that place, make sure you get the vents too. Check moist areas (bathroom, bathroom vents) for funk, eliminate it where you find it. Swap out the A/C filter with a Filtrete 1900 which will trap alot of baddies, run a true HEPA filter in your grow room for a few days too.

RR says bleach won't kill mold.  Providing sterile conditions in immediate workspace will probably be your most effective use of resources.

Bleach doesn't kill mold.  It will only remove the color from the green spores.  The mold will still survive.  If you want to save the jars, PC or at least boil in a large pot for an hour or two. RR

--------------------

Invisibleconoshoto
Mycologist In Training
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Other Side
Re: Is it possible to cleanse a house of trich spores? [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #12720374 - 06/10/10 12:28 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I know that bleach will kill mold spores but I'm not sure what to use if they have already germinated... besides a glovebox which is a good idea imo.

--------------------
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'" - Hunter S. Thompson

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Is it possible to cleanse a house of trich spores? [Re: conoshoto]
    #12720876 - 06/10/10 02:17 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

conoshoto said:
I know that bleach will kill mold spores but I'm not sure what to use if they have already germinated... besides a glovebox which is a good idea imo.

Correct for the most part.  Bleach will kill most, but not all mold spores, but not live mycelium.  My point that CrayolaHalls quoted above is that spraying bleach on a moldy substrate won't kill the mold.  Yes, it bleaches and kills the vast majority of the the spores, but not the live mold.

However, it's awfully hard to kill all the mold spores in a house if one has allowed moldy substrates to sit and puke spores everywhere while they try in vain to 'save' the project.  It pretty well ruins the area for future growing.  It's one of the reasons sites like this have such a high turnover in membership.  They do a grow or two, and then try to save a project from green mold, only to find that every grow after that gets trichoderma, so they give up and move to another hobby.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Loc: Westcoast Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is it possible to cleanse a house of trich spores? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #12720891 - 06/10/10 02:20 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

conoshoto said:

Correct.  Bleach will kill mold spores, but not live mycelium.  My point that CrayolaHalls quoted above is that spraying bleach on a moldy substrate won't kill the mold.  Yes, it bleaches and kills the spores.

However, it's awfully hard to kill all the mold spores in a house if one has allowed moldy substrates to sit and puke spores everywhere while they try in vain to 'save' the project.  It pretty well ruins the area for future growing.  It's one of the reasons sites like this have such a high turnover in membership.  They do a grow or two, and then try to save a project from green mold, only to find that every grow after that gets trichoderma, so they give up and move to another hobby.
RR

Would a combination of Vinegar and h2o2 kill live mycelium

Offlinecole2684
Gamer
Male

Re: Is it possible to cleanse a house of trich spores? [Re: Shea25]
    #12721032 - 06/10/10 02:50 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I think that is exactly what is happening to me.

Hopefully a room change can offer a second chance.

--------------------
---------------------------------------------
I'm a man who really enjoys his taffy.
---------------------------------------------

Offlinedoornoblightbulb
Demigod
Male User Gallery

Re: Is it possible to cleanse a house of trich spores? [Re: Shea25]
    #12721043 - 06/10/10 02:53 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Shea25 said:
Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

conoshoto said:

Correct.  Bleach will kill mold spores, but not live mycelium.  My point that CrayolaHalls quoted above is that spraying bleach on a moldy substrate won't kill the mold.  Yes, it bleaches and kills the spores.

RR

Why would you even want to know that?

Seriously... If you have live trich growing, THROW IT OUT. Don't try to kill it.

Anyways, I think raping a room with airborne lysol and/or bleach is bound to help a trich infection. It might not cure it, but if bleach kills trich spores, then it will definitely help.

InvisibleFungal growth
Lootinint
Male User Gallery

Loc: under a rock in your yard
    #12721074 - 06/10/10 02:59 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

doornoblightbulb said:
Quote:

Shea25 said:
Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

conoshoto said:

RR

Seriously... If you have live trich growing, THROW IT OUT. Don't try to kill it.

Anyways, I think raping a room with airborne lysol and/or bleach is bound to help a trich infection. It might not cure it, but if bleach kills trich spores, then it will definitely help.

i for one would also like to know if it will kill mold mycelium.
that would be good info. imo.

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Loc: Westcoast Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #12721091 - 06/10/10 03:02 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

doornoblightbulb said:
Quote:

Shea25 said:
Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

conoshoto said:

RR

First off it was a question relating to living mold, I know if you have a contamed sub to toss it. For surface cleaning I have heard that a combo of vinegar and h2o2 will be for effective then bleach.

I also would not spray lysol or bleach in any of my rooms since both are not good to be inhaling, if you want to clean the air get a hepa filter and filter the room. Do work in front of a flow hood or a still air box.

My question was pertaining to the effectiveness of the combo of vinegar and h2o2 for cleaning up surfaces

Are you following now doornoblightbulb :smirk:

Edited by Shea25 (06/10/10 03:04 PM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is it possible to cleanse a house of trich spores? [Re: Fungal growth]
    #12721123 - 06/10/10 03:08 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I have had a few batches go green. Alot of green in my resent grow. I have finally gotten it under control for the most part. I still usually get green by the 2nd or 3rd flush..I used to be good until 5 or 6. But I'm still always working on it. I shut down my greenhouses one at a time, clean them with alcohol in a spray bottle, a bleach dilution in a spray bottle, and bomb with oust air and surface. I do the same to my walls, more with the alcohol and oust..I try to not spray bleach everywhere (carpets) to often.

I keep a cheap HEPA running in the room all the time and I keep the window open all the time. This along with catching the green, before it turned green (I can see that white green mold mycelium from a mile away) has gotten my problem down. I also just switched to doing everything in my bathroom after being sprayed and cleaned as well, including spawning to bulk.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinepluto
Male

Loc: buffalo ny
Re: Is it possible to cleanse a house of trich spores? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #12721504 - 06/10/10 04:13 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

scatmanrav i think keeping the window Open in the room might not be to good of an idea.

depending where you live and the climate there could be literally shit tons of pollen and mold spores blowing in through the window.

all the fresh air i feed my room with goes thru a hepa

just trying to help I've seen your set up and cultivator tag i know you know what your doing I've seen the pics good job man keep it up

--------------------
I do not grow mushrooms or anything else.. Everything Ive posted is a lie..

And any pics I posted were found on the internet.. I in no way participate in illegal activities...

InvisibleFungal growth
Lootinint
Male User Gallery

Loc: under a rock in your yard
Re: Is it possible to cleanse a house of trich spores? [Re: pluto]
    #12721513 - 06/10/10 04:14 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

the mold and crap that builds up in a closed room
dwarfs what would be blown in from outside.
thats why its called fresh air.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Is it possible to cleanse a house of trich spores? [Re: Fungal growth]
    #12721561 - 06/10/10 04:25 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Fungal growth said:
the mold and crap that builds up in a closed room
dwarfs what would be blown in from outside.
thats why its called fresh air.

Exactly.  Everything that's outside is also inside, plus all the mold from fruits, bread, cheese, etc., in the kitchen, plus all the bacteria that's in the trash, the drains, the bathroom, etc.  Indoor air does nothing but benefit from keeping windows open.

To Shea, I've never tried peroxide and vinegar.  It does help to add a bit of vinegar to your bleach/water combo though.  Mix the bleach and water first, and then add the same amount of vinegar as bleach.  This combo is much more effective than bleach alone.

In my grow areas, I've never used any chemicals.  I have a water faucet and floor drains in the grow room, so I hose it out daily, washing the walls, ceiling, floor and shelves, including substrates, because Shiitake blocks benefit from a forceful water spraying.  Not only does it wash any mold spores off, but shiitake tends to pin in areas that have received physical shock, and a forceful spray of water works great for that.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #12721606 - 06/10/10 04:31 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

pluto said:
scatmanrav i think keeping the window Open in the room might not be to good of an idea.

depending where you live and the climate there could be literally shit tons of pollen and mold spores blowing in through the window.

all the fresh air i feed my room with goes thru a hepa

just trying to help I've seen your set up and cultivator tag i know you know what your doing I've seen the pics good job man keep it up

As said above, mold building up is probably worse. I fight over which is worse..keep a grow closed off and contained...or open air. My greenhouses are covered in holes so, I've gone the route of open air. Posts by RR has made me think that this is better..open ventilation. I could be wrong here. There is a shade down all the time..so air goes in through the sides only.

The biggest thing is the room gets HOT if I dont open the window and have fans on, so its needed, unless I want to cool the room and go through that sort of hassle.

The rest of the apartment has open windows and doors that the spores could fly in, then just get tracked in there anyway. The more I think about it the more it makes sense to just open the window.

:edit: yeah, I started posting before seeing RR's post, but pretty much what I figured..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Edited by scatmanrav (06/10/10 04:35 PM)

Offlinepluto
Male

Loc: buffalo ny
Re: Is it possible to cleanse a house of trich spores? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #12721989 - 06/10/10 05:53 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

i defiantly hear where your coming from with deciding to open the window id probably do the same thing in that situation

--------------------
I do not grow mushrooms or anything else.. Everything Ive posted is a lie..

And any pics I posted were found on the internet.. I in no way participate in illegal activities...

Invisibleambargh
 User Gallery

#12722066 - 06/10/10 06:08 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I was trying to transport a bacteria-infested oyster straw log to the woods, and the bacteria juice leaked out of the hole in the bag IN my CAR. It's so gross, my car smells like a dirty turd-vag. I can't leave my windows down due to random typhoons we get almost every day, so the 95 degree heat building up in that enclosed space makes it 100x's WORSE!  :puke: I have to make it very clear to people that the odor is not coming from me.

I guess what I'm asking is, what's the best way to kill bacteria without bleaching my interior?

--------------------
"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.." - Douglas Adams

ambargh's easy agar

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale