Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinemajik_monkey
Always Learning
Loc: machu picchu
all things poo
    #1270728 - 02/02/03 11:01 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I was wondering if anyone has done any research on dung, the cattle breed the dung is coming from, and/or the diet of the cows. There are some people who have continual success with their dung source (e.g. mycofile mentioned this in his bulk neglect log) and some have had notable failure (even after moisture/pasturization/pH considerations) with their source....people in both these catagories...do you know the type of cattle or the cow's diet your dung came from??? Anyone have thoughts on this??

--------------------
There are more important things in life than just being really, really, ridiculously good looking. -Zoolander

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineflow
outlaw immortal
Re: all things poo [Re: majik_monkey]
    #1270865 - 02/02/03 12:03 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

from my own exp, and what i've read here, almost any kind of poo will work.
personally, i use horse poo, don't know what they're fed, but it works very well

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #1274362 - 02/03/03 01:47 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Well, it's not a very helpful reply, but I've had success with every type of animal shit I've tried. Cows from many different fields, worm shit, all different types of horses, horse shit with various types of bedding mixed in, elephant shit from the circus, and mixed circus shit (includes lion shit which I was told to stay away from, but the mix worked anyway). So, unfortunately I can shed no light on what type of poo works and what doesn't as I never tried one that didn't work for me. Sorry.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1274391 - 02/03/03 01:58 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

So far I tried cow and horse shit, and I must say pasture gathered dry cow shit worked best.

Anonymous

#1275791 - 02/03/03 09:33 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Are you guys using straight shit or are you mixing it with other things such as straw, hay, vegitable/fruit waste, spent brewery grain, vermiculite or perlite. What kind of ratios? Thanks.

I'm nobody.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: all things poo [Re: ]
    #1277340 - 02/04/03 10:01 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

If using cow, I usually mixed with straw due to shredded cow dungs density, and also because I could fill more trays with a straw/dung mix than with straight dung. Ratios of straw to dung are irelevant as they all work well. I did use straight cow dung many times, and it does work. Sometimes I would mix in some (no more than 25%) verm or coir because as I said straight poo is pretty dense. Unfortunately I don't still have the records to say if the mixes colonized quicker or fruited better than straight, sorry.

Horse poo is much more airy than cow, and therefore I rarely mixed it. Horse poo is much more like chopped straw in consistency, therefore it isn't as dense. If anything, I would mix it with some straw just to stretch it further. Ratio depends on how much you have and how much you need.

Elephant, I didn't get to play with extensively. I tried it straight and in lotsa mixes, but didn't use it enough to say what was best.

Worm poo is extremely dense (and expensive) and is best used mixed with straw IMO. About a dry gallon of castings to about a pillow case of straw is a good starting ratio. Verm or coir can also be used to lighten and stretch castings. More attention should be paid to consistency of substrate than ratios with a castings verm/coir mix.

So, mixing any type of poo with straw is great to stretch the poo or boost the straw. Mixing of dense dungs (cow or worm) with amendments such as verm and coir is a good idea. Also, mixing elephant, lion, zebra, horse and other circus animals shit togethor with some straw and some sawdust yields a really good mix. Get it free from the dumpster when the circus comes to town. (BTW the carny man who tells you that you can't have it unless you work for him, or bring him beer is fucking with you. I used to be that dude!)

--------------------

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Invisiblearcadiangod
ACE
Loc: milky way
Re: all things poo [Re: mycofile]
    #1278250 - 02/04/03 02:43 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Ive had very good success using cow dung from pastures. I always try to find the oldest looking dung I can. It almost starts to take on a grey appearance when its old. I alter it in no way, I just pasteurize and spawn with wheat berries. I couldnt say if where you gather it would have any effect on growth of contamination because I always gather it from the same area in new mexico.

Offlineanotherdirtywop
shmuck

#1278536 - 02/04/03 03:51 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I'd love to experiment with elephant shit, but alas I've never scored any,
I went to the circus once to ask about the elephant shit,
they guy told me if I wanted ANY
I had to take it ALL
and not just the elephants, all the animals.....so....
I had no dumptruck, so I never went back....
maybe I should have been a little more demanding....

Does anyone know if Zoo-Doo is still available online?

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: all things poo [Re: anotherdirtywop]
    #1279141 - 02/04/03 06:16 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Well, if he was a dick, you should have just looked for the shit dumbster and helped yourself. It all goes in a bin, and they can't guard it all the time.

--------------------

OfflineHisStudent
enthusiast

#1279696 - 02/04/03 09:06 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I cant help but laugh at the thought of guarded elephant shit :laugh:

--------------------
I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.
- Jack Handey

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
Re: all things poo [Re: HisStudent]
    #1279825 - 02/04/03 10:16 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

years ago, i was a grounds keeper at the Honolulu zoo .the back gate is open all day, and the shit pile is right there .

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: all things poo [Re: HisStudent]
    #1281998 - 02/05/03 02:54 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

hisstudent, i have that exact mushroom lightning lamp in your avatar. actually, i collect all sorts of badass lights...

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: all things poo [Re: debianlinux]
    #1282129 - 02/05/03 03:31 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

hijaaking this thread here a bit. have some questions concerning poo consistency. just how fine do you guys break up your poo (also curious what methods your using to bust it up)? i'm using very dried horsey crappo. I'm basically ripping the turds up by hand and then rubbing my hands back and forth together with handfuls of poo. this creates a mixture of fine poo dust and chunks about the size of rye grains. i've been experimenting with using some mosquito screen and have managed to get a onsistent poo dust. this, however, takes a rather long time. i would assume that finer is better but how coarse would be too coarse? here's some pics of my results as well as my screen contraption, tell me what you think and how you do it:

Here is my Poo Screener

Here is what I can do by hand

Here is what the screener produces

I just used links so this thread doesn't take all day to load... any comments or help very much appreciated.

Offlinedu_Rag_scotland
journeyman
    #1282731 - 02/05/03 06:33 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

What can you do if there isn't any fields around? Is there any type of poo that you can buy that will work? Mycophile has said before that the store bought stuff is almost worthless. Any ideas?

OfflineH2O2shrooms
Couch Potato

Loc: in front of the computer
Re: all things poo [Re: du_Rag_scotland]
    #1282772 - 02/05/03 06:46 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

If you have to buy poo.
http://www.mycotapro.com
I've heard from many people this is the shiznit.

--------------------
Mycology is a lot like quantum mechanics in that we don?t have causal relationships like in Newtonian physics, only probabilities of various outcomes.<=== Misapropriated from Mycofile

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: all things poo [Re: H2O2shrooms]
    #1283957 - 02/06/03 07:35 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, I'd trust that stuff.

--------------------

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1284043 - 02/06/03 08:11 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

... any comments or help very much appreciated.

um, anybody???

Offlinedu_Rag_scotland
journeyman
    #1284680 - 02/06/03 10:57 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

that may be alright for you guys in the states...but I am not going to pay hundreds of dollars to have shit send to me from the U.S. I have heard the compost sold here is alright

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1285825 - 02/06/03 04:44 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

hijaaking this thread here a bit. have some questions concerning poo consistency. just how fine do you guys break up your poo (also curious what methods your using to bust it up)? i'm using very dried horsey crappo. I'm basically ripping the turds up by hand and then rubbing my hands back and forth together with handfuls of poo. this creates a mixture of fine poo dust and chunks about the size of rye grains. i've been experimenting with using some mosquito screen and have managed to get a onsistent poo dust. this, however, takes a rather long time. i would assume that finer is better but how coarse would be too coarse? here's some pics of my results as well as my screen contraption, tell me what you think and how you do it:

Here is my Poo Screener

Here is what I can do by hand

Here is what the screener produces

I just used links so this thread doesn't take all day to load... any comments or help very much appreciated.

oh, well, I just resigned myself to busting the shit up so fine that when you breathe around it it clouds the air. if anyone wants to share their thoughts on this it would make me smile.

OfflineStarspawn
NotGoodJustLucky
Loc: ShowMeState
    #1287025 - 02/06/03 11:36 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Does anyone know the digestion rate for each animal?I think each of them will have different amounts of undigested straw.It seems the best would be the most digested,then you can add straw.I think Worm castings are 100% broken down so pound for pound,if you have to pay for poo,worm castings seem to be the best.They can be streched very thin with straw.If you know where a WormsWay is then you could get a 30 pound bag for 14.99,or 1 pound for 1.00. Of course getting dung for free is always the best but living in a city makes it harder to come by.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology