Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

[CAN] Cops arrest 35 at pot clubs, including federal Marijuana party founder
    #12684263 - 06/04/10 11:16 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Cops arrest 35 at pot clubs, including federal Marijuana party founder
June 4, 2010 - weyburnthisweek.com

MONTREAL - Police launched a major marijuana crackdown in Quebec on Thursday, arresting 35 people in raids on cannabis clubs including the founder of the federal Marijuana party.

Officers hit five clubs — better known as compassion clubs — in Montreal and Quebec City.

The arrests come at a heated time in the debate over marijuana, which has been allowed in Canada for medical use for nearly a decade and came close to being decriminalized in Parliament seven years ago.

Former Marijuana party leader Marc-Boris St-Maurice was among those scooped up Thursday.

He sees the strike as the latest evidence of an aggressive anti-pot push that starts at the federal level with the Conservative government.

Thursday's arrests come less than a month after the extradition of Marc Emery, a B.C. pot activist who now faces five years in prison in the United States.

Last month, police raided a compassion club in Toronto. Now, St-Maurice says, all of Quebec's compassion clubs appear to have been shut down.

"This is not just the local police, you know, checking in (on) their municipality — this is a targeted effort," he said in an interview after being released from custody.

"That tells me that there's some sort of organized move from higher up."

St-Maurice's own personal history illustrates the backward slide in the push to relax pot laws.

Just a few years ago he left the party he founded to join the then-governing Liberals, when it appeared they were on the verge of decriminalizing marijuana. He has since suggested he would run for them.

St-Maurice spent years openly operating a compassion club on a busy street in Montreal's trendy Plateau-Mont-Royal neighbourhood.

He now says he's being charged with drug trafficking, possession with intent, and conspiracy. He turned himself in to police Thursday.

"If there are arrests in Vancouver in two weeks, we will be sure (that it's part of a national effort)," St-Maurice said. "I don't think (Prime Minister) Stephen Harper is a big fan of marijuana for any use."

Compassion clubs supply visitors with marijuana, ostensibly as therapeutic treatment for people suffering from certain medical conditions.

A police spokesman said the Quebec compassion clubs are not linked to crime gangs, but that doesn't make it okay.

"People were selling drugs," said Antonio Iannantuoni, a district commander for Montreal police.

"These operations weren't tailored to sick people. . . Selling drugs remains illegal."

Canada has in fact allowed medical access to marijuana since 2001, but Iannantuoni claimed Thursday that only Health Canada can legally distribute weed.

"The only people that are authorized (to sell marijuana) is Health Canada," he said.

But one drug-policy expert says Iannantuoni is dead wrong.

Eugene Oscapella says medicinal marijuana is legitimate method for treating many medical conditions, including multiple sclerosis and nausea caused by chemotherapy.

Compassion clubs fill a void, adds the University of Ottawa criminology professor.

"I think the police are feeling emboldened because this government has taken this hard line on drugs," Oscapella said of the recent busts.

"You've got organized crime throwing people into cement barrels, you've got people being murdered and dismembered, you've got massive levels of violence, and you've got compassion clubs, which are peacefully handing out this stuff."

Iannantuoni said people were just walking into the Montreal clubs, claiming to be sick, and getting easy access to pot. Four of the raided clubs are in Montreal, and one is in Quebec City.

Police also raided four Montreal homes of the club administrators.

"It's not the sick people (we're targeting), it's the people administrating these businesses and it's the people that were selling marijuana," Iannantuoni said in front of a compassion club in the city's Lachine borough, while officers combed for clues inside.

Police seized nearly 60 kilograms of marijuana, a small amount of hashish and $10,000 in cash. They expect to lay charges of drug trafficking and conspiracy.

They say they acted after receiving numerous complaints from citizens and business owners.

"I'm very relieved," said Mariette Lepage, who owns an electronics store in the same building as the Lachine club.

Lepage says there were always teenagers hanging around the building and her shop often reeked of weed.

"We knew they were not very sick," she said.

"The smell was so concentrated. It bothered me and it bothered my customers."

St-Maurice became involved with the Liberals when the Chretien and Martin governments tabled legislation to decriminalize possession of small amounts of pot.

The bills sat on the parliamentary order paper and remained stalled there. The current Conservative government announced it would take a different approach to cannabis after it was elected in 2006.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLord
Strangler
Male

Re: [CAN] Cops arrest 35 at pot clubs, including federal Marijuana party founder [Re: veggie] * 1
    #12684361 - 06/04/10 11:34 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

"People were selling drugs," said Antonio Iannantuoni, a district commander for Montreal police.

"These operations weren't tailored to sick people. . . Selling drugs remains illegal."

That's not really any of your business, faggot.

Offlineparadise
ANT
Male User Gallery

Loc: CANADA...east coast Flag
Re: [CAN] Cops arrest 35 at pot clubs, including federal Marijuana party founder [Re: Lord]
    #12685457 - 06/04/10 02:20 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

WHY WERE THEY SMOKING IT...should have been using volcano vaporizers so no one could complain about the smell

--------------------

InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

Re: [CAN] Cops arrest 35 at pot clubs, including federal Marijuana party founder [Re: paradise]
    #12687880 - 06/04/10 08:34 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Seems to be nation wide, with Toronto being raided before.

Lets wait and see if Vancouver gets raided too, before making any conclusions.

--------------------
Carl Sagan - "Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people."

---

Robert Pirsig - "When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."

---

Brian Cox - "[One] problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it. The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense."

Offlinebloodsheen
ChemChaplin
Male User Gallery

Re: [CAN] Cops arrest 35 at pot clubs, including federal Marijuana party founder [Re: Simplepowa]
    #12687917 - 06/04/10 08:42 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, so the smell was bothering some fucking electronic store nerds? What about all the people living near bars in the world who have to hear dumbass drunks yelling about how wasted they are at 2 a.m. every fucking weekend? If smell is seriously a fucking issue, this world is going down the shitter worse than i thought

--------------------

A cautious young fellow named Lodge / Had seat belts installed in his Dodge. / When his date was strapped in / He committed a sin / Without even leaving the garage. That's clever, isn't it?-A boy and his dog

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Turtle Island
Re: [CAN] Cops arrest 35 at pot clubs, including federal Marijuana party founder [Re: bloodsheen]
    #12689455 - 06/05/10 01:41 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

March 31, 2010: Police raid the CALM medical marijuana dispensary of Toronto
May 5, 2010: Justice Minister Rob
Nicholson signed the extradition order and ordered Emery to surrender to
authorities, which he did that same day.
June 3, 2010: Police raid five medical marijauna dispensaries across Quebec, effectively shutting down all the di...spensaries in Quebec.

It seems our government is striking out at the marijuana movement. I don't want to end up ranting about the police so I'll keep this short-- I predict Vancouver will be seeing raids in a couple months-- and that to me this all shows just how vehemently against marijuana Stephen Harper is, or wants to appear. I think we have an 'agenda' on our hands here.

There are much better uses of both time and money than fighting a plant-- especially when targeting the specifically non-criminal branches of marijuana distribution.

I hope every Canadian here, at least, writes there MP a letter or phones them up to let them know just how angry this medical marijuana raids make you-- it's something.

--------------------

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: [CAN] Cops arrest 35 at pot clubs, including federal Marijuana party founder [Re: paradise]
    #12689705 - 06/05/10 03:33 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

paradise said:
WHY WERE THEY SMOKING IT...should have been using volcano vaporizers so no one could complain about the smell

ya that was seriously fail on their part

--------------------

Offline2859558484
Growery is Better
 User Gallery

Re: [CAN] Cops arrest 35 at pot clubs, including federal Marijuana party founder [Re: Coaster]
    #12689863 - 06/05/10 04:56 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

i cant believe canadian clubs are getting raided.... shameful

--------------------

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: [CAN] Cops arrest 35 at pot clubs, including federal Marijuana party founder [Re: Coaster]
    #12690188 - 06/05/10 07:43 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Coaster said:
Quote:

paradise said:

ya that was seriously fail on their part

It doesn't say anywhere that marijuana was being smoked, only that residents complained of the smell-- THC vapour still smells-- and especially when it is a lot of vapour in a small area [like a store].

I go to the Toronto Vape Lounge all the time, and you can smell the vapours while you are still out on the sidewalk-- and the lounge is on the second floor...

All I'm trying to say is that just because nearby residents complain of the smell doesn't mean that the stores were allowing people to smoke it, let alone vapourize it-- it could have simply been that the crowd it drew were smoking pot in the area often even.

I can honestly say it wasn't because of residents complaining about the smells that got the places raided. Stephen Harper and his conservative government have been very anti-marijuana since the beginning... if you remember that infamous Obama response to legalization of marijuana, this is Stephen Harpers equivalent-- somehow he equates marijuana use to domestic and international terrorism...

I'm just not sure why we are seeing this sudden push against medical marijuana... I know that many Canadians understand marijuana is medicine and I truly hope that they become angry upon hearing this...

--------------------

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: [CAN] Cops arrest 35 at pot clubs, including federal Marijuana party founder [Re: shivas.wisdom]
    #12690269 - 06/05/10 08:17 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Just shot this off to my MP, but as you can tell emails haven't done much in the past for me.

Quote:

To Maurizio Bevilacqua,

It seems like my experience with you has not changed since I last tried to write you-- my email is simply ignored until I respond again expressing just how disappointed I am in how you treat your constituents. I said it last time and I will repeat it now-- I am a young person and I am constantly disappointed by the massive amounts of apathy in my age group, but every time I try to participate in my government I am simply ignored. How can you expect anyone to become passionate about Canada if you cannot even be bothered to respond?

Last time I had to resend the email, talk with some assistant in your office over the phone, and wait months [so long that the issue I had wanted to discuss had already been voted on]-- and all I received in the end was a seemingly stock letter, as it did not even address my question directly but merely dealt with the very general topic of what I had wished to discuss.

And yet, here I am writing to you again. I do this because I cannot help, I can't sit down quiet while I see this all happening in Canada:
May 5, 2010: Justice Minister Rob Nicholson signs the extradition order and orders Marc Emery to surrender to
June 3, 2010: Police raid five medical marijuana dispensaries across Quebec, effectively shutting down all the dispensaries in Quebec.

I must find myself asking, what is with this sudden attack on marijuana? and not just marijuana but medical marijuana dispensaries-- the specifically non-criminal branches of marijuana distribution. It does not make Canada safer, it only removes a safe source of medicine for many people, myself included. These organizations are not simply covers for illegal marijuana dealing, but truly exist for the benefit of sick people across Canada. To allow them to be shut down is, simply put, an incredibly cruel thing to do and I hope you realize this. The legalization of marijuana will benefit Canada greatly, and should be an issue that you are strongly considering.

I still do not really expect you to bother to respond to me, or take the time out of your day for a decent response if you do, but I'll ask again what your opinion is on these recent police raids, the extradition of Marc Emery to the US, on medical marijuana, and on the legalization of marijuana. In fact, I would greatly appreciate a chance to talk with you in person at your office.

I await your response,

shivas.wisdom

--------------------

InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

Re: [CAN] Cops arrest 35 at pot clubs, including federal Marijuana party founder [Re: shivas.wisdom]
    #12690305 - 06/05/10 08:33 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

shivas.wisdom said:
Just shot this off to my MP, but as you can tell emails haven't done much in the past for me.

Quote:

To Maurizio Bevilacqua,

It seems like my experience with you has not changed since I last tried to write you-- my email is simply ignored until I respond again expressing just how disappointed I am in how you treat your constituents. I said it last time and I will repeat it now-- I am a young person and I am constantly disappointed by the massive amounts of apathy in my age group, but every time I try to participate in my government I am simply ignored. How can you expect anyone to become passionate about Canada if you cannot even be bothered to respond?

Last time I had to resend the email, talk with some assistant in your office over the phone, and wait months [so long that the issue I had wanted to discuss had already been voted on]-- and all I received in the end was a seemingly stock letter, as it did not even address my question directly but merely dealt with the very general topic of what I had wished to discuss.

And yet, here I am writing to you again. I do this because I cannot help, I can't sit down quiet while I see this all happening in Canada:
May 5, 2010: Justice Minister Rob Nicholson signs the extradition order and orders Marc Emery to surrender to
June 3, 2010: Police raid five medical marijuana dispensaries across Quebec, effectively shutting down all the dispensaries in Quebec.

I must find myself asking, what is with this sudden attack on marijuana? and not just marijuana but medical marijuana dispensaries-- the specifically non-criminal branches of marijuana distribution. It does not make Canada safer, it only removes a safe source of medicine for many people, myself included. These organizations are not simply covers for illegal marijuana dealing, but truly exist for the benefit of sick people across Canada. To allow them to be shut down is, simply put, an incredibly cruel thing to do and I hope you realize this. The legalization of marijuana will benefit Canada greatly, and should be an issue that you are strongly considering.

I still do not really expect you to bother to respond to me, or take the time out of your day for a decent response if you do, but I'll ask again what your opinion is on these recent police raids, the extradition of Marc Emery to the US, on medical marijuana, and on the legalization of marijuana. In fact, I would greatly appreciate a chance to talk with you in person at your office.

I await your response,

shivas.wisdom

My e-mail too are ignored and I've never gotten a response so I just stopped writing when I understood I wasn't living in a democratic country.

But cool one you written. I believe it is better to phone them finally.

Is it open on the week-end? No time to calll on weekday because of a full time job :sad:

--------------------
Carl Sagan - "Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people."

---

Robert Pirsig - "When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."

---

Brian Cox - "[One] problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it. The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense."

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: [CAN] Cops arrest 35 at pot clubs, including federal Marijuana party founder [Re: Simplepowa]
    #12690335 - 06/05/10 08:45 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I don't think government employees ever work weekends..

I was thinking of taking a trip to his office every day until he will talk with me. He is maybe a 25 bike raid away.

--------------------

InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

#12690881 - 06/05/10 11:37 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Damn.

But yeah I agree we can "invade" their place

Like this

And this

Oh and this

--------------------

---

---

Edited by Simplepowa (06/05/10 11:37 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds