Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleloqix
ConfusedButterfly

psilocybin vs psilocin trips...
    #1268341 - 02/01/03 01:18 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Are there specific differences in the type of trips these would have? I was wondering if drying mushrooms out would produce a different type of trip, as the content of psilocybin would prevail much longer than the psilocin.

Thanks,
Kat

--------------------
All things are subject to change and we change with them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTeKHeAD009
Stranger
Re: psilocybin vs psilocin trips... [Re: loqix]
    #1268527 - 02/01/03 02:07 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Ok, I just Read (in the chemistry section) that each psilocybin breaks down into one psilocin. Either over time, when heat is applied, and when eaten. So I believe eating pure psilocin would be the same as eating pure psilocybin. It may take longer to kick in or the trip might last slightly longer?

Edited by TeKHeAD009 (02/01/03 03:09 PM)

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: psilocybin vs psilocin trips... [Re: TeKHeAD009]
    #1268679 - 02/01/03 02:48 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

other way around dude, the psilocybin loses a little arm and becomes psilocin

Invisibleloqix
ConfusedButterfly

#1268705 - 02/01/03 02:55 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Cool, thanks for the info. :smile:

Kat 

--------------------
All things are subject to change and we change with them.

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
    #1268738 - 02/01/03 03:03 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

i was under the impression that mao's break down the psilocybin into psilocin (or vice versa, i dunno). So would taking an maoi and pure psilocybin (or psilocin, whichever trips you out) be a similar or dissimilar trip from just eating mush?

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

OfflineTeKHeAD009
Stranger
Re: psilocybin vs psilocin trips... [Re: recalcitrant]
    #1268802 - 02/01/03 03:18 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

An MAOI Inhibits MAO; thats what the I stands for. MAO metabolizes serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine. By inhibiting this, MAOIs increase levels of those neurotransmitters. More neurotransmitters = more trip. Taking an MAOI and mushrooms at the same time just increases the trip about 2x from what I've read. I believe it would be the same kind of trip, but you would take half the mushrooms. Be cautious and do research on the subject before trying it. It can be dangerous - and if in doubt dont do it.

If anyone has done the combination please tell us if the trip was different at all.

Thank you Dogomush, fixed it. I always get that confused. No problam loqix.

Edited by TeKHeAD009 (02/01/03 03:36 PM)

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

#1268897 - 02/01/03 03:55 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

uhh, you're saying that mao wont break down psilocybin/psilocyn? only serotonin etcetera?

--------------------

OfflineTeKHeAD009
Stranger
    #1268976 - 02/01/03 04:28 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Right, neither MAO or MAOI's break down psilocybin or psilocin. MAO breaks down serotonin etc. While a MAOI slows that breakdown causing a more powerful trip.

An MAO (monoamine oxidase) is something in the brain that breaks down serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine. Serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine are neurotransmitters - things that allow us complete a thought, in a way. An MAOI (monoamine oxidase inhibitor) slows the breakdown of the 3 neurotransmitters mentioned above. So when you take a MAOI it causes more brain activity, and more brain activity means more tripping. Sorry if I confused you, I'm horrible at explaining things.

To understand completely you might want to research how the brain works and Neurotransmission in the brain. Its really an interesting thing in a way.

Edited by TeKHeAD009 (02/01/03 04:39 PM)

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

#1269030 - 02/01/03 04:57 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

i thought the point of taking an maoi with dmt, any ayahuasca, was so that the mao's in your brain/stomach didnt break down the dmt before it made you trip.

wouldnt the same be true for psilocybin/psilocin?

p.s. i read this slide show about e, but there is some relavant (to maois) info:http://www.dancesafe.org/slideshow/slide1.html

--------------------

Edited by recalcitrant (02/01/03 05:01 PM)

OfflineTeKHeAD009
Stranger
    #1269121 - 02/01/03 05:28 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Your right, I got it. The MAO may break down the psilocybin in the brain, since is so simular to serotonin. The MAOI would slow that down making for a more powerful trip.

I have no idea about how DMT works, although I've heard so much about it recently I'm very curious.

Edited by TeKHeAD009 (02/01/03 05:32 PM)

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

#1269149 - 02/01/03 05:36 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

What? Listen:

"Ayahuasca is a traditional South American preparation most commonly combining the Banisteriopsis caapi vine (harmaline/harmine as MAOI) and Psychotria viridis leaves (DMT). This combination is important because N,N-DMT is broken down quickly in the body by the Mono Amine Oxidase (MAO) enzyme and so it is not orally psychoactive unless combined with an MAO-Inihibitor, such as the harmala alkaloids"

And the theory goes like this: Psilocybin and psilocin are injested. In the stomach psilocybin becomes psilocin, then it gets into the blood and to the brain and makes you trip out. MAO breaks it all down, and you slowly come down. When you throw syrian rue in there the psilocin isn't broken down as quickly so the trip is potentiated.

MAOI's stop the breakdown of tryptamines (serotonin, psilocybin, LSD, LSA, DMT etc.).

Syrian rue and mushrooms is a totally different trip, not simply shrooms x2. In fact, not shrooms x2 at all. It makes the whole thing last 1 or 2 hours longer though. I'm surprised so few people do it. Mushrooms wouldn't seem that amazing to me without the mushroom and rue combo.

OfflineTeKHeAD009
Stranger
    #1269200 - 02/01/03 05:58 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Thank you, that clears it up better. So it extends the trip, but doesnt make it any diffferent. (?)

Now I dont understand how MAOI's are antidepressents then. Isnt depression caused by lack of neurotransmission? Seretonin is a deactivating neurotransmitter, so taking MAOI's would slow down neurotransmission even more, right? (Link to where I got that info from)

Edited by TeKHeAD009 (02/01/03 06:06 PM)

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1269249 - 02/01/03 06:22 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

rofl what a confusing thread!!! heh erowid, here I come!

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1269388 - 02/01/03 07:38 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Psilocin isn't DMT. That's why it's orally active. It's slightly different.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineKilljoy
TheHyperdimensionalSlug

Re: psilocybin vs psilocin trips... [Re: Xlea321]
    #1270308 - 02/02/03 06:15 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

In case anyone was wondering about this, psilocin binds to the serotonin receptors and agonizes the fuck out of them (fires repeatedly instead of just once like serotonin) which is why they are also called zoomers. ZOOM ZOOM

Anyhoo, the smooth muscle tissue of the stomach has serotonin receptors on it to help initiate the contractions nescessary for digestion of food.  When you ingest mushrooms, the psilocin binds to those serotonin receptors causing them to fire wildly, resulting in odd spasmodic contractions of the stomach.  This is why some people get nauseous and puke on mushrooms.

Hope I was informative and that my friend in anatomy and micro-biology doesn't talk out his ass. :smile:

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
Re: psilocybin vs psilocin trips... [Re: Killjoy]
    #1270395 - 02/02/03 06:46 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Interesting thread!

One question:
Are MAO's always in your body? can you eat them or is your body creating them?

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Re: psilocybin vs psilocin trips... [Re: Annom]
    #1270477 - 02/02/03 07:16 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Woah this thread is confusing!!

OK, Syrian rue and mushrooms IS very different from straight mushrooms. As well as extending a 4 gram cube dose by at least an hour but more like two, I find the trip is different in the following ways (I'm gonna write a bunch of stuff about my observations on syrian rue trips, it may be loooong):

On a normal 4-5 gram dose of cubies I find the room or forest or whatever I'm in is covered in lines of muted rainbow colours. In the same part of the trip while I'm on syrian rue and mushies I look around the, say, forest, and all the branches, trees, and undergrowth arrange themselves into a complex but imperfect geometric design. The leaves on the forest floor are arranged in a pattern. I bend down and look closely. The leaves don't move, they are still in a swirling pattern. I pick one up. I put it back, and it lands right back into a swirling pattern. I find this effect is much more pronounced with syrian rue.

Conversation between too people on mushrooms is very energetic and involved. Conversation with syrian rue thrown into the mix is 10x as energetic at least. One minute you'll be talking like crazy with your friends, you'll be figuring out your lives and laughing your asses off and all of a sudden you'll all settle down and just chill for a bit, wondering why you're just hanging out and not talking. A few minutes later you'll be talking eachother's ears off once again. This is the "wave" effect people talk about.

Visuals are less colourful I've found. More greyness to it all.

Closed eye trips can reach towards ayahuasca trips in solidity and intensity. On straight mushrooms (5 grams or so) I can close my eyes and experience a kind of a visual story complete with independant characters talking to me and handing me things, but with syrian rue this effect is really brought out in full force, closer to my mimosa hostilits and syrian rue adventures.

In conclusion I can't imagine mushrooms without syrian rue. They are so limited without it I'm almost surprised people are so into straight mushrooms.

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Re: psilocybin vs psilocin trips... [Re: Dogomush]
    #1270511 - 02/02/03 07:26 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Oh yeah, and with syrian rue a lot more than straight cubies I find there's a strong feeling like everyone in the tripping team is reading eachother's minds. One trip with 3 other people last year ended up with the group split over this issue. Another guy and I felt that by agreeing we were telepathic we were, and the other two guys argued that we weren't telepathic. I don't know what to think of this anymore..

OfflineBladeLSD
Squirrel Master

#1270669 - 02/02/03 08:33 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

molecular weight of psilocybin 284.3
molecular weight of psilocin 204.3

This means by weight psilocin is about 1.4 times more potent that psilocybin.

--------------------
We might get glimpse's of objectivity every now, and then, but we're so inherently locked in our temporal and corporeal selves that we're irrevocably locked into subjectivity :crazy:

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: psilocybin vs psilocin trips... [Re: Killjoy]
    #1270750 - 02/02/03 09:10 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

In case anyone was wondering about this, psilocin binds to the serotonin receptors and agonizes the fuck out of them (fires repeatedly instead of just once like serotonin) which is why they are also called zoomers. ZOOM ZOOM

No one really know how this stuff works.However,the newest theories I've seen state that psychedelic tryptamines (including LSD) probably are partial agonists at certain serotonin receptors. They attach to the serotonin receptors but they don't activate them to the full extent that serotonin does.Since serotonin is usually an inhibitory neurotransmitters,when tryptamines block serotonin from activating these receptors,these receptors fire like crazy,and the net effect is that certain parts of the brain become overexcited.Maybe when your brain becomes overexcited like this,information enters your conscious awarness that otherwise wouldn't.The main problem with this theory (besides being overly reductionist) is that serotonin isn't always inhibitory and other drugs that work on serotonin in a similar way aren't always hallcinogenic.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract