Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJazzMatazz
addict

Loc: Vienna, Austria
Bulk Straw
    #1267237 - 02/01/03 03:57 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I want to grow Cubensis outdoors, and I have decided to grow Bulksubstrate rather than plenty of Rye jars.

Im tending to using Ovenbags for straw pasteurisation , does anyone have experience with these?

Can I use petshop rabbit foodstraw, for the bulk growth and also later outside? If not , where would I find some wheat straw? What would a good mycelia/straw ratio be?

Ive also seen 50/50 Bulkteks with Manure/Straw, are these in someway superior to plain Straw?

(As this tek seems so very easy and cheap , why doesn?t everyone just make a couple of grain jars and then spawns on hay??!!)
thanks in advance, you guys help me a lot,
Jazz

--------------------
Perception is limited to consciousness.Expand it and unfold other realities.

Edited by JazzMatazz (02/01/03 04:14 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinerawtoxic
Stranger
Loc: smokey mountains
Re: Bulk Straw [Re: JazzMatazz]
    #1267413 - 02/01/03 06:35 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

> Im tending to using Ovenbags for straw pasteurisation , does anyone have experience with these?
why not just use ripper straw tek, or some similar method... try filling a tailgating cooler with hot water 180f, put a pillow case full of straw inside cooler, let sit with lid closed 2 hours or so, and viola... pasteurized straw, and its a lot neater than doing it in your kitchen...

but to answer your ?, ovenbags should work fine, i've read of people using them for pressure cooking so pasteurization should be easily possible since it is done at lower temps...

>Can I use petshop rabbit foodstraw, for the bulk growth and also later outside?
I think most of pethsop rabbit foodstraw is actually timothy hay, and hay is easily contamanated...

>If not , where would I find some wheat straw?
Farms, your local co-op, and feed stores...

>What would a good mycelia/straw ratio be?
10:1 is usually the straw:spawn ratio, the lower the ratio the higher rate for success, and also less time to 100% colonization.

>As this tek seems so very easy and cheap , why doesn?t everyone just make a couple of grain jars and then spawns on hay??!!)
a variety of reason make people use other bulk substrates, i'll cover a few of the many; horse, cow, buffalo, etc dung is in most cases free, denser, and yields are higher than straw in many cases. potency problems with straw for some strains (b+, and treasure coast specifically), straw doesn't do very well unless it's cased, shredding straw sucks...

note: i use straw with buffalo dung... 70:30

OfflineJazzMatazz
addict

Loc: Vienna, Austria
Re: Bulk Straw [Re: rawtoxic]
    #1267450 - 02/01/03 06:59 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

thanks for your answers,they where very detailed. Some questions came up nevertheless:
Have you got a link to the ripper straw tek?

Quote:

potency problems with straw for some strains

Could you elaborate on this? Do you mean problems , when casing in straight hey , or are there really potency differences , when growing mycelia on different substrates? Afterall , I will case the stuff in 50/50 Dung/Straw.

--------------------
Perception is limited to consciousness.Expand it and unfold other realities.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom