Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedu_Rag_scotland
journeyman
Corncob
    #1267366 - 02/01/03 06:00 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Has anyone tried the corncob pethod for bulk substrate? I have read that the Hip Bulk Tek is reall crapy. Also...Does anyone know where you could buy corncob in the u.k.? Any help you guys could give me would be REALLY helpfull. What is it normally used for?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleChampion des Champignons
long standing member;)

Loc: Alba
Re: Corncob [Re: du_Rag_scotland]
    #1267377 - 02/01/03 06:10 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Never tried the stuff myself, but here you go

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------
hmmm........

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
    #1267385 - 02/01/03 06:13 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Its usually used as an absorbant animal bedding. Check out the pet stores.

Offlinedu_Rag_scotland
journeyman
Re: Corncob [Re: Pinhead]
    #1268289 - 02/01/03 12:58 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

What do you think about this method? Does it sound any good? It seems to be the only bulk method that can avoid the contams.

Offlinedu_Rag_scotland
journeyman
    #1268361 - 02/01/03 01:26 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Here are a few more questions for you all....Can you use fresh magic mushrooms instead of a colonized cake?  If so then how many fresh shrooms is the mycological equivalent of a PF cake?  Also,the intructions say to remove any excess water (step 10) is this before or after you mix the cake/shroom slurry into the corn?  How do you remove the water?  Just a colander?  What do you think? :confused:

Offlineindicaz
Lysol God
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Chair
    #1271475 - 02/02/03 02:55 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I saw this stuff today at wally mart and was almost tempted to buy it.

I would think that it would hold up well to sterilization, maybe I really didnt get a great look but as a substrate I would assume it would be awesome... Im working on popcorn.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #1274337 - 02/03/03 11:40 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Corncob is a poor bulk substrate. It has so little nutrition that it is pretty contam resistant, but also a very poor fruiter. In fact, I never got unsupplemented cob to fruit at all. I did use it as spawn a couple times, but I moved on pretty quickly. Even just using it as spawn, cob can't boost the nutrient level of a bulk sub the way grain can.

In other words, if you can make it work for your situation, go ahead. I couldn't.

BTW, hips bulk tek isn't really crappy, just published before the kinks were worked out. It's another one you can make work if you fool around with it.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1274347 - 02/03/03 11:44 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

It seems to be the only bulk method that can avoid the contams.

The only method (bulk or otherwise) that can avoid contams is any method where the cultivator is relentless in following proper sterile techniques and adherring to the principles of optimizing paramaters for mycelium over competitors. No substrate worth growing on is safe from contaminants, it will always be up to the cultivator to protect the substrate.

--------------------

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlinedu_Rag_scotland
journeyman
Re: Corncob [Re: mycofile]
    #1276596 - 02/04/03 04:19 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Look...basically I am in a area where I don't have access to canning jars. I can make a few cakes using glasses but am really looking for a bulk Tek that works well that doesn't involve jars. If anyone knows of any good Bulk Teks that fit that discription PLEASE let me know.

Offlinedu_Rag_scotland
journeyman
    #1276608 - 02/04/03 04:24 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

You say you never got unsuplimented cob to fruit?  Couldn't you add some honey water to it and then case it with,say,3 inches of poo?  Wouldn't that work (the idea of the corncob seems to be only for spawn and not for the flowering stages on its own)  Although I would like some comments on this could someone also answer my last question? :confused:

Offlinecomario2
amateur

Loc: between places
    #1276900 - 02/04/03 05:51 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

what about using bags instead of jars? :smile: 

--------------------
comario

"crusaders against emotional poverty"

InvisibleChampion des Champignons
long standing member;)

Loc: Alba
    #1276945 - 02/04/03 06:02 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

forget about canning jars, just use old pickle jars or the like. Basically any jar of a pint or more with a metal lid. I like Rowats Chip Onions myself:grin:
Precook budgie seed "Breeder" from PetsAtHome or Petsmart, whatever it's called in your area, with a water:seed ratio of 175:300, rinse well & fill jars 3/4 of the way, leave 24h, then pc for 1 hour. Inoculate with ~3ml of spore water per jar, shake WELL, and leave to colonise. Use the colonised millet to spawn pasteurised straw, case, et voila.
That's the way I do it, in our poor deprived country:tongue:

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------
hmmm........

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1277365 - 02/04/03 08:09 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

First of all, when most people say bulk, they mean bulk substrates like straw, poo, castings etc. Few if any are prepared in jars. You do need spawn for them, which most people get from jars, but you can use bags. Bags of grain or even BRF/verm mixes can be innoculated with spores. You can also use spaghetti sauce jars, pickle jars etc. Punch a hole in the lid and use tyvek or polyfil to filter. The deal with bags that doesn't float in hips tek is the bag. Cheap bags suck, get some made for mycology. Also, you're much better off with a pc than not. Small bags of BRF/Verm can be steamed, but it takes a long time and is hit or miss.

You have lots of options. Bags, alternate jars for starting. Using these as spawn for a bulk substrate (pasteurized dung, straw etc). Using your first jars/cups/bags whatever to spawn more (again in bags or jars or cups or whatever). And these 2nd generation bags, pickle jars, or glasses can be fruited or used to spawn a bulk substrate.
You aren't really limited at all. Just pick what works based on your needs and skill level. PM if you really can't figure out something that works.

--------------------

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1277379 - 02/04/03 08:12 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Couldn't you add some honey water to it and then case it with,say,3 inches of poo?

you could, and I've done similar, but why? Adding the honey makes it just as susceptible to contamination as grain, so it must be kept sterile in jars or bags. At that it's not as nutritious or easy to prepare as grain in jars or bags, so what's the benefit?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates