Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinestalk_of_fennel
Stranger
 User Gallery

Feeding coffee to oyster mycelium
    #12668559 - 06/01/10 09:28 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

ive got a little covered plastic container sitting in my kitchen with some oyster mycelium growing on coffee grounds.  every few days, once the mycelium has overtaken the coffee grounds, i feed it a bit more grounds from that days coffee.  it seems like its getting faster and faster at consuming the coffee grounds.  i also sprinkled a little gypsum in there the other day.  i was curious... can i get this growing fast enough in a big enough container that i could throw my entire pots worth of coffee grounds in there on a daily basis?  id love to be able to just recycle all my coffee grounds like that on a daily basis.  once the container is full ill fruit it or throw it in the fridge till temperatures are more favorable for oysters (its summer in texas already). 

i started with two of these containers and lost one early on to green mold.  i think i was feeding it to fast.  so, how else am i going to screw this up?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTexasMyco
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Feeding coffee to oyster mycelium [Re: stalk_of_fennel]
    #12668654 - 06/01/10 09:49 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Ive noticed that too much coffee too soon usually turns to green mold.(nitrogen too high and pH too low) But if you step increase to make up for the mycelium increase, yes.

InvisibleFernandoCastro
Deus Impeditio Esuritori Nullus
Male User Gallery

Loc: Portugal Flag
Re: Feeding coffee to oyster mycelium [Re: TexasMyco]
    #12672057 - 06/02/10 01:56 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

q: when you refer: "oyster myc", in which sub was it growing on (straw, grain)?

I've been doing small scale production in unpasteurized coffee grounds 6 months from now with some success.

I've started with colonized straw and spawning coffee to coffee successfully.

Large containers tend to last very much longer to colonize. So, I've been using 7 liters (approx. 2-3kg) containers for the effect.
I think you should let it colonize to 100% until you decide to fruit or re-spawn it.

Adding soaked and shredded cardboard mixed with the grounds minimizes losses to trich and other contams (worked for me).

However, with grain spawn, I had some troubles; so, for now on, I only spawn with coffee or cardboard.

Hope to contribute and keep posting the results, for I'm curious about your project.

A video from some guys who manage to do it big
I think that's sawdust spawn they're using.
Best regards

--------------------
www.cogusbox.com

Offlinestalk_of_fennel
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Feeding coffee to oyster mycelium [Re: FernandoCastro]
    #12672500 - 06/02/10 03:56 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

the mycelium came from some pearl oysters that i started on rye grain.  i used the rye to colonize a milk crate full of paper that was going to go into the recycling bin.  after the crate finished fruiting i used a few small pieces of the stems to inoculate a piece of cardboard i had in this plastic container.  after the cardboard was fully colonized i wasnt sure what to do with it so i just started feeding it coffee grounds.

what ive been doing to feed the mycelium is to just spoon a small layer of grounds over the colonized ground.  would it be better/faster to add the grounds and then shake the entire container up to distribute the grounds evenly and then let it recolonize?

InvisibleFernandoCastro
Deus Impeditio Esuritori Nullus
Male User Gallery

Loc: Portugal Flag
    #12672953 - 06/02/10 05:15 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

You could use the colonized cardboard from fruiting. I've done that  to inoc coffee+cardboard.

I think you should wait until the block is fully colonized and, then, crush it and spawn.

--------------------
www.cogusbox.com

OfflineWimmig
Stranger

Re: Feeding coffee to oyster mycelium [Re: FernandoCastro]
    #12676925 - 06/03/10 06:52 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I dont know about constantly increasing the initial substrate. Would let 100% complete, then move to a new/additional substrate to continue.

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Berlin Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #12677067 - 06/03/10 08:12 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

stalk_of_fennel said:
the mycelium came from some pearl oysters that i started on rye grain.  i used the rye to colonize a milk crate full of paper that was going to go into the recycling bin.  after the crate finished fruiting i used a few small pieces of the stems to inoculate a piece of cardboard i had in this plastic container.  after the cardboard was fully colonized i wasnt sure what to do with it so i just started feeding it coffee grounds.

what ive been doing to feed the mycelium is to just spoon a small layer of grounds over the colonized ground.  would it be better/faster to add the grounds and then shake the entire container up to distribute the grounds evenly and then let it recolonize?

For more than three years now, I clone oysters (and other species) on corrugated cardboard in jars. Once the cardboard is colonized, I feed the mycelium with thin layers of substrate twice a week. As soon as the jars are half filled, I crumble up the colonized matter, move it into a larger container and mix it 1:1 with fresh material. Then I repeat that twice a week until I have enough to fill bags for fruiting. The only contams I have, happen only in the initial stage, like the first layer rarely gets green, if the starting tissue wasn't clean enough.

Pure coffee grounds are somehow tricky, as they tend to ferment if they are too wet or they turn green if you fed too much and it can't be colonized within a few days. Wet fermenting layers on top can sometimes suffocate the mycelium. If you want to feed day by day, you might start three or four buckets, so you can feed them in rotation. After applying a new layer it often takes a day for the mycelium to recover and continue growing. With several cultures there is enough time to colonize the new food until the next meal arrives.

For myself I prefer a mixture of straw and coffee grounds (3:1 to 4:1 by dry weight) as it gives me more mushrooms. Instead of straw, cardboard, paper, wood chips etc. should also work well.

Carsten

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies