Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Buy Kava Tea   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OnlineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
Question about alcohol withdrawal
    #12666553 - 06/01/10 01:01 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Okay this may be a dumb question that makes me sound pretty naïve, but we can't all be experts on everything right? :wink:

I've always been a died-in-the-wool pothead. Lord known I've done my share of binge drinking back in the day, but I never worried about becoming addicted, because I just like pot so much more. If I ever drank more than one day in a row, it was just beers for the taste. Never had a problem except the occasional unbearable hangover which would turn me off alcohol for a month afterwards.

This summer I started drinking more heavily, since it seems I'm no longer as prone to hangovers, and I'm acquiring a taste for more kinds of alcohol. I've managed to be pretty drunk most days in the last couple months.

It was fine for a while but then recently I've been waking up each morning in a state of severe malaise. I'm ill, shaky, anxious, like I'm trapped in my own body, and it's impossible for me to focus or feel normal until I get a drink in me and maybe take a Xanax. Seems I can get physically addicted to alcohol after all, who could ever have guessed?

So I'm just wondering, for those who have quit drinking, how long do the symptoms last and is it better to wean yourself off slowly or just go cold turkey and suck it up? Any tips or tricks for someone in my situation? I'm not a chronic alcoholic, I just spent a few too many months over-indulging. But I have no problem moderating my use if I can just get past the unpleasant symptoms of withdrawal. Guess it's a good thing I didn't try heroin or I'd really be a wreck, eh? :tongue:

Anyway, I'm grateful for all advice. :smile: And remember, don't drink too much kids. For me it's become way more unpleasant than quitting smoking, and that was no picnic either.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebatalbj1
sovereign

Loc: south east uS
Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: Ythan]
    #12666573 - 06/01/10 01:06 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Lock a bunch of heroine addicts in the closet for a week and lock a bunch of alcoholics in the closet for a week.  Come back at the end of the week to find a bunch of pissed off heroine addicts and a bunch of dead alcoholics.

Alcoholism is a dangerous disease.  An alcohol addiction if left unchecked can become a big problem especially with those withdrawal symptoms you describe.  Severe addictions can cause withdrawal symptoms as dangerous as seizures.  I suggest you really research more into alcoholism.

Offlinebatalbj1
sovereign

Loc: south east uS
Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: batalbj1]
    #12666587 - 06/01/10 01:09 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

It is very hard to ween yourself off of alcohol because of the nature of the drug.  you might get down to having one drink a day for a whole week and then just happen to kill a fifth the next day and be right back where you started.  Alcohol is the most dangerous drug in America.  Xanax or other barbituates are a great way to treat your withdrawal symptoms... being an addict though is hard fight  it's a constant struggle... be carefull with the xanax because it is also an easy thing to become addicted too.

Edited by batalbj1 (06/01/10 01:11 PM)

OnlineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

#12666645 - 06/01/10 01:22 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks, yeah I understand the gravity of the situation and I have done research, I'm aware of deadly complications like delirium tremens, and the fact that benzodiazepines can be used to treat withdrawal-related seizures. I guess I'm trying to avoid such serious issues by addressing it now; it seems the worst complications are in chronic alcoholics who have drank much more than me over a much longer period, causing more lasting changes in GABAergic brain chemistry. In a way, I feel I was lucky to get a taste of alcohol addiction without it (hopefully) progressing to a more serious state. My intake has probably been limited to about 4 - 6 strong drinks a day for no more than two months, and the withdrawal symptoms I describe have only appeared recently. It's my hope and belief that I do not yet require clinical detoxification, but I am aware of the risks and will not hesitate to seek professional help if things seem to be going downhill.

Definitely watching the Xanax consumption, I don't need another addiction at the moment. :tongue:

Thanks guys!

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #12666716 - 06/01/10 01:37 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

You aren't anywhere close to being at the point where it is an irresistable poison that you must avoid completely.  You live in upstate NY.  You're fucking surrounded by drunken disasters.  As far as using Xanax as a self prescribed medical crutch??????????  Take drugs recreationally, not for maintenance.  Embrace the crash.  I even avoid aspirin.

Hangovers are tiny little withdrawal episodes.  Resist the morning cure.

--------------------

OnlineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: zappaisgod]
    #12666767 - 06/01/10 01:49 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for taking the time to respond zappa. Your quote "You live in upstate NY. You're fucking surrounded by drunken disasters." makes it clear that you know what you're talking about. :wink: For what it's worth I don't take Xanax for maintenance and I try to avoid benzos entirely, but I figured they might be beneficial when used briefly to address symptoms of withdrawal.

You're probably right, I can embrace the crash and get back to my business, or still be weaning myself off with drinks and meds for who knows how long. I appreciate the alternate perspective and I will probably do my best to follow this advice unless it really becomes unbearable.

OfflineNova

#12666906 - 06/01/10 02:17 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

The cycle of addiction really locks in when the user experiences withdrawl. It introduces a whole new dynamic to the 'relationship' that can lead you much deeper. That said good for you for realizing it early and taking precautionary steps.

From my experience, acute withdrawal symptoms is like fighting a uphill battle; it IS possible to win but the odds are against you. You're in constant discomfort but you know there is an easy fix right around the corner. Add to the mix the potentially dangerous complications of alcohol detox and it gets a little more dangerous.

If you feel like you have the resolve to stop and tough out 2-5 days of unpleasant detox, i'd say bite the bullet, live and learn. If you feel you might potentially be in 'dangerous' levels of physical dependence, diazapam or a benzo (preferably longer acting) used for a replacement detox/taper would also work. Now if you think you may be at risk for a benzo habit, then a medically supervised detox would be best.

You don't sound like you are in that deep at all though and since you said you have xanax, I say just don't drink for a week and when absolutely needed take just enough xanax to relieve symptoms.

Invisiblekake
The answer to1984 is 1776.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The 66th harmonic
Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: Nova]
    #12682542 - 06/04/10 01:06 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Ythan:  I am in the same boat as you, but it's been a more prolonged journey.  I am still struggling with trying to quit drinking or at least drink less often. 

Zappa makes a good point about not using the Xanax as a maintenance.  It seems to just put the beast in the closet temporarily.  You need to work through it and really pay attention to how you work through it, so in case you face it again, you know 1) what to do and 2) that you can do it.

Definitely ween yourself off.  I know how it feels to feel like shit until you get that drink in you.  If you can, open the beer or whatever, take that first wonderful sip, and then put it down and start a task.  Clean a room, draw a picture, doesn't matter what it is.  Don't take another sip until you finish that task.  Repeat as necessary.  It will at least slow your drinking and allow you to moderate your pace with a more level head.  For me, if I drink too fast, it's over.  Before I know it, I'm 5-6 beers deep and regretting it.

Good luck!  Upstate NY is full of drunks.  That's where I'm from.

--------------------
The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: kake]
    #12682613 - 06/04/10 01:26 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I have always found cold turkey to be the way to go, but if your alcoholism is anything like mine, the first sip of alcohol is like the first drop of blood in a shark tank before the feeding frenzy - so weaning does not exist for me.

Ive found the best way to come down / withdraw is to be around sober people, for me its my on again off again ex girlfriend, she almost never drinks when around me because she is a mean bitchy drunk. Ironic how perhaps the leading fuel on my alcoholic inferno is the same thing that extinguishes it. Getting out helps a lot too. I have a mild depression, but I refuse to use pharmaceuticals to feel good, depending on a pill to make me happy about life is almost worse than drinking myself to death.

I plan on kicking tobacco and alcohol completely after my vacation to Amsterdam, feeling guilty about relapsing over the week there would be just plain stupid :wink:

Good luck with your recovery, every time you want to drink, just think of that god awful hangover you had at work where you could see your vision pulsing with your heart-beat!

OfflineCrW
Stranger

Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: c1dh3d]
    #12690086 - 06/05/10 06:59 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

c1dh3d said:
every time you want to drink, just think of that god awful hangover you had at work where you could see your vision pulsing with your heart-beat!

thats fuckin rough, lol...

Offlinebcboy
30% larger in real life

Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: CrW]
    #12692491 - 06/05/10 04:09 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Hey Ythan

Booze is a funny one for sure. You slowly build a tolerance and then one day you wake up and realize you have some big problems.

I myself got to the point where I could hammer back a 1/2 5th of vodka straight out of the bottle without stopping for a breath and only end up with a nice warm feeling in the body. No hangovers the next morning.

I also loved the Weed and found the 2 went hand in hand for me. Woke up one morning and realized that I had not been really sober for more than a decade for any long period of time and decided that I was done. Not because I was causing any problems in my life or others. But because of my own health, and forgot what being sober was.

For me the first week was hell. I had cold/hot flashes, night sweats so bad I would change cloths 4 times and my whole body felt like it was actually shaking/vibrating constantly.

I also at the same time quit the daily weed habit. So you can imagine that on top of the above I was not in a happy place.

But the good news is it was only about a week and now I feel almost back to normal. Today I am around 2 weeks in with no drugs of any kind in my system.

I am excited to see what it feels like after 30 days, 90 then a full year with nothing in my system.

Offline12468
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: bcboy]
    #12698752 - 06/06/10 06:24 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Alcohol is a tough one. Lots of good advice in this thread. I was a 40oz+ / day liquor drinker for a couple of years, and quitting was brutal. Very tough both psychologically and physically. You do develop a strong physical and mental (and social!) dependence on alcohol over time.

I don't think you're in danger at this point, and the discomfort will be minimal (in comparison to what's in store down the road).

Get back to the pot smoking - if you ever lapsed - and use the benzos only as needed. Focus on hydration and nutrition, and don't deny yourself small indulgences in alcohol here and there, just don't forget your mission. In just a few days, you'll be 100%.

Anonymous #1

#12710680 - 06/08/10 05:28 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Ayurveda has helped me cut my benzodiazepine addiction in half.  i tried many times to do it, first time cold turkey and i almost had a seizure, i just didn't know what i was doing.  luckily though, i'm still alive.

after that, i kept trying but getting off the ativan brought up all that anxiety which led me to take them in the first place, and so i think because i had all that underlying extreme anxiety, my withdrawals were harder than someone who just uses drugs recreationally, like you seem to. 

anyway, i went to see an ayurvedic physician, and i intentionally didn't take my pill that morning so he could see me in my withdrawal state.  i was laughing hysterically and crying within 30 seconds of eachother, and just really going thru it.  he gave me a couple tricks to help, an herbal formula, a tincture, and a couple visualization/mantra type things and as soon as i started all of this, i was instantly able to start weaning, easy as pie.

if my memory serves me, you live in colorado.  i know a great ayurvedic institute called... the ayurvedic institute, in albuquerque.  they also do consultations over the phone, if you wanna try that.  so, good luck, and by the way, they aren't allowed to "treat" you for drug addictions, and will probably say you should go to rehab, but that's just because they are required by law to say that, because ayurvedicians aren't licenced to practice medicine in the US.

good luck ythan, you'll get through this:headbanger:

edit: oh you live in upstate ny, the ayurvedic institute has some traveling doctors who you might connect with, and i'm sure there's some good ones in NYC, but i don't know who they are

Edited by Anonymous (06/08/10 05:39 PM)

Anonymous #1

Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: bcboy]
    #12710695 - 06/08/10 05:33 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

bcboy said:
Hey Ythan

Booze is a funny one for sure. You slowly build a tolerance and then one day you wake up and realize you have some big problems.

I myself got to the point where I could hammer back a 1/2 5th of vodka straight out of the bottle without stopping for a breath and only end up with a nice warm feeling in the body. No hangovers the next morning.

I also loved the Weed and found the 2 went hand in hand for me. Woke up one morning and realized that I had not been really sober for more than a decade for any long period of time and decided that I was done. Not because I was causing any problems in my life or others. But because of my own health, and forgot what being sober was.

For me the first week was hell. I had cold/hot flashes, night sweats so bad I would change cloths 4 times and my whole body felt like it was actually shaking/vibrating constantly.

I also at the same time quit the daily weed habit. So you can imagine that on top of the above I was not in a happy place.

But the good news is it was only about a week and now I feel almost back to normal. Today I am around 2 weeks in with no drugs of any kind in my system.

I am excited to see what it feels like after 30 days, 90 then a full year with nothing in my system.

correct me if i'm wrong, but did you just imply you went cold turkey?  if so you should be very careful dude, you can go into life threatening withdrawals at the turn of a hat, even after 2 weeks

i went cold turkey off ativan and was absolutely fine for 3 days, no withdrawls.  then all of a sudden my vision went black for a split second, then came back.  that was the start.  within 20 minutes it had progressed to almost complete muscle stiffness, i was walking like frankenstein and about to have a seizure.  luckily i realized i was going thru withdrawals (i hadn't been warned by my doc!) and popped a pill and it went right away.  so at the very least, keep some liquor near you at all times

Edited by Anonymous (06/08/10 05:41 PM)

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
    #12711185 - 06/08/10 07:19 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Hey Ythan! Sorry to hear about your recent problems with alcohol :frown: I've had some problems with alcohol before, but nothing too serious. Anyway, I'd suggest stopping cold turkey, and taking half or quarter doses of the xanax to fight withdrawal effects. You should count on relapsing a little eventually, but after you relapse you should abstain again. This probably won't get your drinking to zero, but it's worked for me to keep it to once a month or so. Anyway, good luck, hope you're feeling better soon!

Anonymous #1

Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: nooneman]
    #12711278 - 06/08/10 07:36 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

i would recommend not going cold turkey, but really, we can't know whats best, it's a guessing game.  keep some alc. close by in case you go into acute withdrawal if you do cold turkey

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #12711464 - 06/08/10 08:03 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous said:
i would recommend not going cold turkey, but really, we can't know whats best, it's a guessing game.  keep some alc. close by in case you go into acute withdrawal if you do cold turkey

Cold turkey with xanax shouldn't be that bad.

Anonymous #1

#12711563 - 06/08/10 08:17 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

depending on how long he takes xanax, he could get hooked to that, which is 100 times worse than alcohol.  well, it's alot worse anyway.

does xanax relieve all the symptoms of alc withdrawal?

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #12711580 - 06/08/10 08:20 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous said:
depending on how long he takes xanax, he could get hooked to that, which is 100 times worse than alcohol.  well, it's alot worse anyway.

I wouldn't say xanax is a lot worse than alcohol. I'd rather have a xanax problem than an alcohol problem. While it's true you could get hooked on xanax, if you take it responsibly you can avoid this. That's why I'd recommend only half or quarter doses of xanax, and only to fight withdrawal symptoms.
Quote:

does xanax relieve all the symptoms of alc withdrawal?

Yup.

Anonymous #1

#12711624 - 06/08/10 08:27 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

i've never withdrawn from alcohol but benzo addiction is hell, and i've heard from two ex. junkies that benzos are harder to kick than heroin.

InvisibleCalifornia
A E S T H E T I C S A T A N
 User Gallery

Loc: H A U N T E D H O U S E Flag
    #12714470 - 06/09/10 11:17 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Ythan said:
This summer I started drinking more heavily, since it seems I'm no longer as prone to hangovers, and I'm acquiring a taste for more kinds of alcohol. I've managed to be pretty drunk most days in the last couple months.

It was fine for a while but then recently I've been waking up each morning in a state of severe malaise. I'm ill, shaky, anxious, like I'm trapped in my own body, and it's impossible for me to focus or feel normal until I get a drink in me and maybe take a Xanax. Seems I can get physically addicted to alcohol after all, who could ever have guessed?

So I'm just wondering, for those who have quit drinking, how long do the symptoms last and is it better to wean yourself off slowly or just go cold turkey and suck it up? Any tips or tricks for someone in my situation? I'm not a chronic alcoholic, I just spent a few too many months over-indulging. But I have no problem moderating my use if I can just get past the unpleasant symptoms of withdrawal. Guess it's a good thing I didn't try heroin or I'd really be a wreck, eh? :tongue:

Anyway, I'm grateful for all advice. :smile: And remember, don't drink too much kids. For me it's become way more unpleasant than quitting smoking, and that was no picnic either.

definetly go cold turkey.:yesnod: 

I quit drinking last November, cold turkey.  I was expecting to have delirium tremens, but I didn't. 

cold turkey is key. 

+don't forget to stay hydrated.  that may be a small part of your morning malaise.

Invisiblemaerigan
Female

#12720536 - 06/10/10 01:02 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I'd go cold turkey.
If I could go back in time and do it again anyway.  I used the replace alcohol with other drugs method and it ended up causing a lot more harm than good.
Tips?
The first time you wake up in the morning, instead of saying fuck my life and rolling over and attempting to get more sleep even though you feel so shitty you probably won't be getting any good sleep, get up and drink some water. Try and eat something. Do something to keep yourself awake for a little while, keeping yourself hydrated. And then take the most awesome nap ever!!!
Wake up, drink some juice and eat something good.  You should at least feel a little better after that.

Drink herbal teas to keep yourself chilled out if you feel the need. Just remember to stay hydrated.

--------------------

InvisibleDickhead
2 Times
Female User Gallery
Loc: groin
    #12722920 - 06/10/10 08:35 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Alcohol is an easy quit for me next to nicotine.  In your case of only a few months of abuse, you are only looking a few days of symptoms.  Not fun, but you'll bounce back to 100% in no time. 

Not to say "I'd watch it from here on." But certainly be aware that alcohol has beaten a path for itself in your body.

It will take less abuse to bring about withdrawl symptoms in the future.

--------------------
Multiplied

Offlinefeifen

Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: Dickhead]
    #12722931 - 06/10/10 08:37 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Awebig said:
Alcohol is an easy quit for me next to nicotine.  In your case of only a few months of abuse, you are only looking a few days of symptoms.  Not fun, but you'll bounce back to 100% in no time. 

Not to say "I'd watch it from here on." But certainly be aware that alcohol has beaten a path for itself in your body.

It will take less abuse to bring about withdrawl symptoms in the future.

Not only that, but alcohol is the only drug that harms every single god damn tissue in your body.

Alcohol seriously is a poison and it should be treated as one... with great moderation, but most people can't do that.

Offlinebarbaloot
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: feifen]
    #12727599 - 06/11/10 05:28 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Hi Ythan,
these self help guides for giving up/reducing alcohol look pretty good.

http://www.gsahs.nsw.gov.au/UserFiles/File/Microsoft%20Word%20-%20alcohol%20making%20changes.pdf

http://helpguide.org/mental/alcohol_abuse_alcoholism_help_treatment_prevention.htm

Benzos are good for the withdrawal symptoms as long as they are only used short term.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: barbaloot]
    #12728084 - 06/11/10 07:18 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

barbaloot said:
Hi Ythan,
these self help guides for giving up/reducing alcohol look pretty good.

http://www.gsahs.nsw.gov.au/UserFiles/File/Microsoft%20Word%20-%20alcohol%20making%20changes.pdf

http://helpguide.org/mental/alcohol_abuse_alcoholism_help_treatment_prevention.htm

Benzos are good for the withdrawal symptoms as long as they are only used short term.

Hey Ythan,

I wish I knew.

You have been plussed two in my book for even asking.

Nice website sorry I have been such a dick in it at times.

At others hopefully not so much!

Best of luck if you are trying to quit.  I would say cut back one drink a day why hurt urself?

Lunar

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

InvisibleDickhead
2 Times
Female User Gallery
Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: feifen]
    #12729115 - 06/11/10 11:15 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

feifen said:

Not only that, but alcohol is the only drug that harms every single god damn tissue in your body.

Alcohol seriously is a poison and it should be treated as one... with great moderation, but most people can't do that.

It isn't THAT bad.  In fact, it seems to me that it is a regular part of natural consumption.  Most people who drink will never suffer any long term damage.  About %1-5 percent who abuse alcohol will form a true dependence. There appears to be potential even for health benefits from small daily amounts.

Regular abuse, however is obviously very destructive to our biology.

--------------------
Multiplied

OfflineBahaga
I heard it on Wednesday...
Male User Gallery

Loc: PA
    #12729229 - 06/11/10 11:40 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

batalbj1 said:
Lock a bunch of heroine addicts in the closet for a week and lock a bunch of alcoholics in the closet for a week.  Come back at the end of the week to find a bunch of pissed off heroine addicts and a bunch of dead alcoholics.

Alcoholism is a dangerous disease.  An alcohol addiction if left unchecked can become a big problem especially with those withdrawal symptoms you describe.  Severe addictions can cause withdrawal symptoms as dangerous as seizures.  I suggest you really research more into alcoholism.

I agree 100%  alcohol may be legal but i think its the most dangerous drug out there.  DONT be mislead, i would rather dance with dope then i would this horrible drug, and i know all to well its powers

Offline12468
Stranger
 User Gallery

#12729454 - 06/12/10 12:38 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

nooneman said:
Quote:

Anonymous said:

Famous Last Words

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: zappaisgod]
    #12730508 - 06/12/10 08:49 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
You aren't anywhere close to being at the point where it is an irresistable poison that you must avoid completely.  You live in upstate NY.  You're fucking surrounded by drunken disasters.  As far as using Xanax as a self prescribed medical crutch??????????  Take drugs recreationally, not for maintenance.  Embrace the crash.  I even avoid aspirin.

Hangovers are tiny little withdrawal episodes.  Resist the morning cure.

I think this is good advice. Embrace the crash. :satansmoking: Takes real guts and builds future internal resources.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleDickhead
2 Times
Female User Gallery
Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: Icelander]
    #12731517 - 06/12/10 01:53 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Well hell...  Fight fire with fire I say, take some laxatives and eat runny eggs while browsing Toliet Duks post history.

--------------------
Multiplied

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: 12468]
    #12732770 - 06/12/10 05:57 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

12468 said:
Quote:

nooneman said:
Quote:

Anonymous said:

Famous Last Words

:lol: It's actually really common for long term hardcore alcoholics to use benzos to get off alcohol.

Offlinebarbaloot
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #12738070 - 06/13/10 07:08 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I reckon people in this thread are being way too pessimistic. Ythan has only been drinking daily for a couple of months. People give up even long term dependent drinking with and without help all the time.

You'll be right Ythan.

Invisiblesleepy
zZzZzZzZz
Male User Gallery

Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: barbaloot]
    #12738110 - 06/13/10 07:19 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

then again, it doesn't hurt to be cautious and keep some alc. nearby incase he goes into acute withdrawals.  it can happen... every reacts to alcohol (and quitting alc.) differently.  yeah the chances of serious complication is low, but still

InvisibleDickhead
2 Times
Female User Gallery
Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: sleepy] * 1
    #12738518 - 06/13/10 08:44 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

From what I have heard, Ythan is rock bottom.

He sold the shroomery for a bottle of thunderbird.

--------------------
Multiplied

Offlinetim.johnson717
Stranger
Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: Dickhead]
    #14970930 - 08/24/11 12:59 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

As for me, I've given up drinking. Wasn't easy, but now that's OK. I've tried many recipies till I came across Detox - http://www.detoxc4.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=8 It helps to clean body, now I feel I free from harmful waste. And, what's more, these guys are giving out free samples.

InvisibleScudreloaded
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Wonderland
Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: tim.johnson717]
    #14971055 - 08/24/11 01:24 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hi Ythan.
Sorry to hear your having alcohol problems lately. I've been down that road a few times and for a while. I usually cant stop after one drink. I started out drinking hard alcohol and that was a mistake.
Now i'm not going to recomend AA but for some people it works. I found it was way too preachy. Though a few times I went knowing that if i wasn't there I'd be out drinking.
I don't recomend the benzo's too much but they definitly are better for you than the alcohol. But beware you may get blackout from them combined. I get blackouts all the time from alcohol alone, not to mention the times ive had xannax.
Life gets a lil better feeling when the withdrawls are over.Maybe try to become that guy that only drinks beer and then try to keep it mellow.
Going back to just all weed would probably be the best choice all in all

--------------------
We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. - Hunter S. Thompson

- believe what you may but take the internet with a grain of salt

Offlinedshow
Nomad
 User Gallery

Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: Scudreloaded]
    #14971265 - 08/24/11 02:12 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

:hmm:

Thread is... over a year old...  :awelol:

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #14972449 - 08/24/11 06:24 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

tim.johnson717 said:
As for me, I've given up drinking. Wasn't easy, but now that's OK. I've tried many recipies till I came across Detox - http://www.detoxc4.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=8 It helps to clean body, now I feel I free from harmful waste. And, what's more, these guys are giving out free samples.

Nice old thread bump.

NOT!

Invisibleowls
just let go!

Loc: dancing Flag
Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #14972608 - 08/24/11 06:51 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

is there a general consensus on how long it takes for a regular heavy drinker of a few years to start feeling better in general after they quit? 1-2 weeks maybe?

--------------------
i love you

you are beautiful! :rockon:

COME TOGETHER, JOIN THE PARTY!!

"what beith a man if he doth not enjoy cannabis?" :mushroom2:

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: owls]
    #14973311 - 08/24/11 08:59 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

owls said:
is there a general consensus on how long it takes for a regular heavy drinker of a few years to start feeling better in general after they quit? 1-2 weeks maybe?

Depends how long you've been drinking for.  It could certainly be longer I think.

OnlineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

#14976093 - 08/25/11 11:45 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

For what it's worth, I appreciate the response and it's still relevant. I'm up to about 1/3 handle of vodka per day over here. :tongue: Really gonna have to do something about that soon.

Invisibleowls
just let go!

Loc: dancing Flag
    #14976653 - 08/25/11 01:36 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

seriously, you started drinking again? :sad:

this is day 2 sober for me... bleh

--------------------
i love you

you are beautiful! :rockon:

COME TOGETHER, JOIN THE PARTY!!

"what beith a man if he doth not enjoy cannabis?" :mushroom2:

InvisibleDickhead
2 Times
Female User Gallery

#14978148 - 08/25/11 06:25 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Uh oh!

PS - Rehab is a great place to get laid.

:thumbup:

--------------------
Multiplied

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
    #14990828 - 08/28/11 11:17 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i dunno, im a pretty heavy drinker myself, i have some 'issue' with it, addiction id say would probably be a better definition.

I have always been afraid that after weeks or months of drinking straight, that I would go into withdrawl, or have physical symptoms. However, that has actually never happened to me. I should note that I have a condition called Essential tremmor that causes me to shake like i have the DT's pretty much all the time, so it might get un noticably worse when i quit drinking... but regardless... its not that bad.

Another note, i usually drink to regulate myself, to get to sleep, to stay calm etc....

when I quit, which i did for a week straight a few times in the past month or so, my mind gets kicked into over drive. Like the cloud that alcohol held over me, had cleared, and I was in full speed ahead mode. I would stay up all night till like 4 am working on projects, and becoming extremely productive, and from what my friends tell me, half out of my god damn mind (which is kind of why i drank in the first place to regulate my crazy natural mind set)

bottom line, Its actually a enjoyable thing to get out from under your cloud, and realize the true potential that you may have forgotten within yourself. If i remember right, didn't you once just on a whim build a website up from nothing? I think that if you quit even for a week or so straight, you might start to see a lot of that person pop back up into your life :smile:

hope that was helpful

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

#14991818 - 08/28/11 02:47 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Ythan said:
For what it's worth, I appreciate the response and it's still relevant. I'm up to about 1/3 handle of vodka per day over here. :tongue: Really gonna have to do something about that soon.

its not easy quitting drinking. most of my friends and I seem dependent on it at times. The best advice i can give you Ythan is to try and substitute something healthy for it, and then depend on that until youve cleared from your original dependence. For example, im on a juicer kick right now (hopefully permanently). When you feel like an alcoholic drink, spend the time to prepare a healthy juice instead. naturally since youve just injested all this energy, youre going to have to do something physical, so the behavior has just changed from:

want alcohol>drink alcohol>do drunk shit

to

want alcohol>prepare and drink healthy juice instead> do something physical

eventually changes to =

new behavior of wanting do drink juice>making juice>doing physical

the most relevant word that I can think of is behavior. youre snaggled up in yours like most of us can get trapped in ours from time to time. I think addiction is the wrong word, rather youre dependent on behaviors that you, and your body have grown comfortable with.

time to step out of your comfort zone. buy a juicer and a gym pass man.

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

InvisibleMr. Bojangles
Breathe In

Loc: The Dirty
Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: ManianFH]
    #14994379 - 08/28/11 11:50 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

For real...and you're probably not going to like hearing this or even do this until you've learned a hard lesson or hit rock bottom (like me and so many others I know).  But go to AA.  There's tons of meetings everywhere...find one you like, cuz some suck and some don't.  Buy a big book, and get a sponsor. 

No matter how bad it gets...it can always get worse.  Every bottom has a trap door.

--------------------
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong."

Francois-Marie Arouet

InvisibleAcidic_SlothM
Acidic poly-Sided Di-slothamide
 User Gallery

Loc: ainrofilac Flag
Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: owls]
    #15004595 - 08/31/11 12:03 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

he totally started drinking again. i think it may be my fault; i'm a bad influence.

--------------------
-- Accept my heart warming gift of TREE SCRATCHIES!!! I absolve thee!! --

JaP: 30,000 lines of gay, cock, and fag can't be wrong
Ped: only in #shroomery is "smuggle opium in her ass" followed by "i don't want shitty opium" which is followed by " *** Joins: PENISSQUAD"
--
JaP: What would this place be without random sluts?
JaP: Nothing, I tell you.

:heart: :todcasil: :heart:

OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: Acidic_Sloth]
    #15005095 - 08/31/11 03:51 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i have a friend like that. I tell him ive quit smoking he offers me cigarettes for the next 3 weeks. I tell him ive stopped drinking he buys a pitcher and brings two mugs over.

son of a bitch mother fucker haha. stay strong Ythan, change your behaviors and youll get off that crutch.

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

OfflineDest
Roller-Derby Coach
 User Gallery

Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: ManianFH]
    #15006259 - 08/31/11 11:50 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

If you stop drinking again try kava kava with milk as a natural xanax replacement.

InvisibleDickhead
2 Times
Female User Gallery

Re: Question about alcohol withdrawal [Re: Dest]
    #15015289 - 09/02/11 12:36 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

There are better things you could get him hooked on, you know.

--------------------
Multiplied

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Buy Kava Tea   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale