Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

[IN] Pot war in eradication mode
    #12658500 - 05/30/10 10:59 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Pot war in eradication mode
May 30, 2010 - courier-journal.com

NDIANAPOLIS -- After 20 years in law enforcement, Indiana State Police Sgt. Lou Perras knows this: Marijuana is the Rodney Dangerfield of illegal drugs -- it gets no respect.

In May, Perras and a team of state troopers launched their annual outdoor campaign to eradicate marijuana growing, and as in years past, this war on drugs includes combating the public's cavalier attitude toward pot.

"People have this attitude -- 'It's just marijuana,'" said Perras. "That's a sad misrepresentation of this drug."

Perras hopes his team's efforts will counteract some of the romanticism marijuana seems to enjoy. Fourteen states now allow residents to use marijuana for medicinal purposes; California has a new ballot measure that would allow anyone over 21 to buy, possess, use or cultivate marijuana; and recently, The New York Times ran a story on "haute stoner cuisine" featuring celebrated author and chef Anthony Bourdain.

It's making Perras' job a little tougher this growing season, as if it isn't hard enough.

"Marijuana will grow almost anywhere," he said. "All it needs is sunlight and water."

As head of the state's Domestic Cannabis Eradication/Suppression Program, Perras is charged with overseeing a staff of investigators devoted year-round to catching high-volume growers.

The federally funded program, paid for with assets seized from drug dealers, has gone from a seasonal to year-round effort. It now includes catching indoor cultivators, who use a combination of hydroponics and advanced horticulture techniques to grow what Perras and other law-enforcement officials say is a much more potent pot than in the past.

But this year, Perras' team is doing it with less money. His budget was cut by $250,000, about a third less than a year ago, due to a shift in federal funding. Local task forces also are facing cutbacks.

"It makes us be more resourceful and be even better stewards of taxpayers' dollars, like not using the helicopter as much and relying more on tips from citizens and other investigative techniques," said Sgt. Tony Slocum of the Indiana State Police post in Peru, a district in which state troopers, working with the program, annually find about 2,000 plants. The Peru district includes Howard, Cass, Miami, Fulton, Wabash and Tipton counties.

Fewer dollars mean tipsters are more important than ever. State police have issued news releases in recent weeks encouraging the media to publicize the Indiana State Police Marijuana Tip Line.

State police will still conduct aerial surveillance to locate plots of cultivated marijuana plants hidden in cornfields and state forests, but they'll also rely on informants like the mushroom hunters who last summer stumbled across a seedbed of marijuana plants in the middle of the Red Bridge State Recreation Area near Wabash. Some 6,000 seedlings were seized by state police.

In 2009, state police assigned to the program seized more than 37,000 cultivated plants and made more than 800 arrests.

They also seized 292 weapons during those busts, significantly more than the 182 seized during 744 arrests in 2008.

Perras said the increasing number of firearms he has seen in his 20 years assigned to the program is a reminder the growers he's after are not the stereotypical mellowed-out pot smokers of the past.

In addition to more weapons, "we're seeing a lot more damage done to the land from all the chemicals and pesticides used to cultivate plants that are a lot more potent than what was grown back in the '60s and '70s," he said.

By Indiana law, possessing or cultivating marijuana ranges from a Class A misdemeanor for a small quantity to a Class D felony for 30 grams or more to a Class C felony for amounts more than 10 pounds.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJackofSpades
Peace
Male

Re: [IN] Pot war in eradication mode [Re: veggie]
    #12658554 - 05/30/10 11:09 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

"People have this attitude -- 'It's just marijuana,'" said Perras. "That's a sad misrepresentation of this drug."

lol what should we think of a drug that has caused zero deaths, isn't addictive, has been used for thousands of years, is accepted as in the medical community, makes you drive slower, and laugh harder?

oh no save me from the munchies officer perras!:mel:

--------------------
If you're frightened of dying and  you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth.

Edited by JackofSpades (05/30/10 11:09 PM)

OfflineEdgeChaos
Still a stranger

Re: [IN] Pot war in eradication mode [Re: JackofSpades]
    #12658660 - 05/30/10 11:32 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

It's pieces of shit drug warriors like Perras that are ruining this place.

Vote for me! I'm tough on crime. I will eradicate completely the scourge of gangs and killings sweeping the nation. I support small businesses. I will take the money from the criminals and I will give it to the american people. no more drug war, no more crime and no more cartels. I will legalize drugs.

That is how to be tough on crime. Take there money. Can't get much tougher than that.

Offlinemathias
Ersatz Haderach
Male User Gallery

Re: [IN] Pot war in eradication mode [Re: JackofSpades] * 1
    #12658672 - 05/30/10 11:36 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I like all the euphemisms the article uses to hide the fact that:
A. They are not "winning" by any stretch of the imagination.
B. They are running out of money.
C. They are losing public sympathy.

No more heli-rides with hightech scanners, no they want your neighbors to turn you in.

That does it, I'm phoning in a phony tip right now.
We all should.

--------------------
intlslacker : "Why is it I always have the feeling that if RR weren't around it'd be like there were toddlers running around, bumping into walls and eating poisonous mushrooms?"

Edited by mathias (05/30/10 11:38 PM)

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
    #12658687 - 05/30/10 11:39 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

JackofSpades said:

lol what should we think of a drug that has caused zero deaths, isn't addictive, has been used for thousands of years, is accepted as in the medical community, makes you drive slower, and laugh harder?

:ilold:

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Offlineorison
mcfluffysugarnuts

Re: [IN] Pot war in eradication mode [Re: SuperD]
    #12658864 - 05/31/10 12:23 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Do you know how much fuel one them helicopters uses in an hour? roughly $150.00 worth in an hour. Thats right another ignorant waste of OIL and resources, to eradicate a plant/ a living organism..
dear police do the earth a favor and drop dead!!

--------------------

Offlineplayapez
Strangest

Re: [IN] Pot war in eradication mode [Re: veggie]
    #12659329 - 05/31/10 03:35 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

veggie said:In addition to more weapons, "we're seeing a lot more damage done to the land from all the chemicals and pesticides used to cultivate plants that are a lot more potent than what was grown back in the '60s and '70s," he said.

Here's a thought - Legalize it and you won't have criminals using guns to protect their illegal enterprise, and you won't have people harming parks/forests by cultivating in an area that can't be seized by the police.

Quote:

Perras hopes his team's efforts will counteract some of the romanticism marijuana seems to enjoy.

Sorry Perras, your efforts will only cause more land to be illegally cultivated, and cost taxpayers' money, while marijuana's popularity will continue to rise.

InvisibleMadSeasonAbove
Reef Donkey
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida Flag
Re: [IN] Pot war in eradication mode [Re: playapez] * 1
    #12659622 - 05/31/10 06:49 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

they'll also rely on informants like the mushroom hunters who last summer stumbled across a seedbed of marijuana plants

:crankey:

:oldman: you bastards!

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Re: [IN] Pot war in eradication mode [Re: playapez]
    #12659850 - 05/31/10 08:23 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

playapez said:
Quote:

veggie said:In addition to more weapons, "we're seeing a lot more damage done to the land from all the chemicals and pesticides used to cultivate plants that are a lot more potent than what was grown back in the '60s and '70s," he said.

Here's a thought - Legalize it and you won't have criminals using guns to protect their illegal enterprise, and you won't have people harming parks/forests by cultivating in an area that can't be seized by the police.

That would be great and all, but unfortunately we're dealing with a breed of humans that refuse to apply logic or reason to a problem that is easily curable.

There was a poster on one site that wrote a letter to one of the officers involved in marijuana eradication efforts (I use the term eradication lightly because they're not eradicating anything, only taking out a small percentage of crops every year).  He stated calmly and precisely that gangs and other organized groups that plant these crops always plan ahead and plant much more than they expect to harvest because they anticipate police finding some of their crops.  Therefore they destroy much more land than necessary and it's all due to the police going after their plants.  Of course the cop he wrote to was infuriated by the notion that weed should be legalized and I don't think he even countered the guy's point about the police actually causing more harm than good when it came to their 'eradication' efforts.  Wish these people would all just die off, as harsh as that sounds.

--------------------
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

OfflinejdogGA15
Jdog
Male

Loc: Georgia,US
Re: [IN] Pot war in eradication mode [Re: mathias]
    #12659950 - 05/31/10 09:02 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

mathias said:
I like all the euphemisms the article uses to hide the fact that:
A. They are not "winning" by any stretch of the imagination.
B. They are running out of money.
C. They are losing public sympathy.

No more heli-rides with hightech scanners, no they want your neighbors to turn you in.

That does it, I'm phoning in a phony tip right now.
We all should.

thank you.these god damn police/DEA officers think there the fucking shit busting "dangerous drugs" and all but in the publics eyes all there doing is wasting taxpayer money on stopping plants instead of putting that money into schools and fire stations

Great Job Officer McDoucheBag!:borat:

--------------------
"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough." -Einstein

"If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on." -Mckenna

My List(things consumed):DXM,Nn-DMT,Cannabis,many JWH like chems,2c-E,many Psilocybe mushrooms,cocaine,Many different benzos,opiates,and barbs,MDA,MDMA,Methamphetamine,LSD,Crack,alcohol,benadryl(at recreational doses),caffine,tabacco,Inhalants,Carispradol,Nitrous Oxide,salvia,indian warrior

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/15270285 ; ^^^========TRADE LIST

Offlinemathias
Ersatz Haderach
Male User Gallery

#12659961 - 05/31/10 09:07 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Violence and death are not going to bring about a solution to this, friends. Not that I think anyone here is at all serious about doing something violent... but there are better ways to direct our energy and thoughts.

I know we are all angry (naturally), but what needs to die off is a way of thinking, not people. And look around, that way of thinking IS dying. Stories like this only confirm it. Read between the lines of this article, and you will see it is actually a positive story for our "side" of the issue.

I am reminded of Princess Leia: "The more you tighten your grip, the more star systems will slip through your fingers."

Take a look at recent events: more and more state governments are taking a more reasonable approach to MJ; medical MJ was a pipe-dream (ha, LITERALLY) just a few years ago. True, we have a long way to go before we can compare to Holland and many other EU countries, but the momentum is headed the right way. The old way of thinking is dying.

But what happens when an organism begins to die? Does it not lash out, clutch at straws, bite, gasp, claw and struggle to survive? Does it not use every cheap move in the book? I've yet to see a drowning man accept his fate calmly.

What we are going through now is the death-throes of an obsolete philosophy. When a creature THIS big dies, it is going to make some waves. What we must learn from this is how to NOT turn into what we fight against; we must not employ their tactics of fear, control and violence, nor become as closed-minded and reactionary.

Nietzsche said it well:
"He who fights with monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. For when you gaze long into the Abyss, the Abyss also gazes into you."

Ride out this storm, friends. It will pass, and we will be all the stronger for it.

--------------------
intlslacker : "Why is it I always have the feeling that if RR weren't around it'd be like there were toddlers running around, bumping into walls and eating poisonous mushrooms?"

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

#12659985 - 05/31/10 09:17 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Well put. :mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

--------------------
Manoa said:

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #12660159 - 05/31/10 10:09 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

mathias said:
Take a look at recent events: more and more state governments are taking a more reasonable approach to MJ; medical MJ was a pipe-dream (ha, LITERALLY) just a few years ago. True, we have a long way to go before we can compare to Holland and many other EU countries, but the momentum is headed the right way. The old way of thinking is dying.

Indeed. As a toker of almost 30 years, I find the recent events in this country very heartening. We may yet to see it legalised and regulated, like alcohol and tobacco.

Edited by Le_Canard (05/31/10 10:15 AM)

Offlinemathias
Ersatz Haderach
Male User Gallery

#12660265 - 05/31/10 10:39 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

There is a trend I see forming in some circles that makes me uncomfortable: A "We are right, they are wrong, and they need to burn" attitude among more "free-thinking" types. On a variety of issues I see the same type of thinking.

Wait, wait.... I thought we were AGAINST closed-mindedness. I thought we were FOR acceptance and understanding, FOR free speech and freedom of thought.

Well, the sword cuts both ways, my friends. If we expect respect and acceptance, we must exude respect and acceptance. Even in the face of persecution. If we have a right to be homosexual, vegetarian, listen to Cannibal Corpse and smoke pot..... Well, to be honest and fair, other people have a right to be homophobic carnivores who drink cheap Gin and listen to Laurence Welk.

Fair is fair. Balance means BALANCE, not the other side on top now...

Israel is a prime example of a nation becoming the very same type of oppressor it suffered under.
Here is just one recent example: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100531/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_israel_palestinians

It's like the kid who gets beaten by mom or dad, and goes on to beat his kids.

It may not be his "fault" that he was raised like that, but it is his RESPONSIBILITY to overcome those evils. Otherwise he just perpetuates the cycle.

The same thing happens to individuals and nations alike.
Revolution begets revolution.
Now it is time for EVOLUTION.

--------------------

Offlinejerrylove
little bit further then I was
 User Gallery

Loc: shakedown street
Re: [IN] Pot war in eradication mode [Re: MadSeasonAbove]
    #12660913 - 05/31/10 01:23 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

MadSeasonAbove said:
Quote:

they'll also rely on informants like the mushroom hunters who last summer stumbled across a seedbed of marijuana plants

:crankey:

:oldman: you bastards!

Ya those weren't shroomeries mushroom hunters for sure. And the cops probably caught those guys there and they said "ah shit dude we're mushroom hunting look at what we found hum cough".

--------------------
:mushroom2:THOSE WHO KNOW DONT TALK!:mad:THOSE WHO DONT KNOW CANT TALK.:smile: (Timothy Leary):mushroom2:
"Funny thing about weekends when your unemployed they don't mean quit so much except you get hang out with your workin' friends" Les Claypool

OfflineNature Boy
Stranger than most
Male User Gallery

Loc: Samsara
    #12661515 - 05/31/10 03:43 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

"People have this attitude -- 'It's just marijuana,'"

Ummmm....I'd call that fairly accurate based on my experience.  Nothing too alarming, so long as you are not driving or being an ass like most consumers of alcohol.

N.B.

--------------------
All submitted posts under this user name are works of pure fiction or outright lies.  Any information, statement, or assertion contained therein should be considered pure unadulterated bullshit.  Note well:  Sorry, but I do not answer PM's unless you are a long-time trusted friend.  If you have a question, ask it in the appropriate thread.

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Re: [IN] Pot war in eradication mode [Re: Nature Boy]
    #12661540 - 05/31/10 03:48 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Nature Boy said:
Quote:

"People have this attitude -- 'It's just marijuana,'"

Ummmm....I'd call that fairly accurate based on my experience.  Nothing too alarming, so long as you are not driving or being an ass like most consumers of alcohol.

N.B.

Agreed.  People have the attitude of "it's just marijuana" because, well......it's just marijuana. :shrug:  If you don't agree with this asshole in the article then obviously your opinion isn't valid. :lol:

--------------------
Manoa said:

Offlinebloodsheen
ChemChaplin
Male User Gallery

#12662243 - 05/31/10 06:04 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

mathias said:
There is a trend I see forming in some circles that makes me uncomfortable: A "We are right, they are wrong, and they need to burn" attitude among more "free-thinking" types. On a variety of issues I see the same type of thinking.

Wait, wait.... I thought we were AGAINST closed-mindedness. I thought we were FOR acceptance and understanding, FOR free speech and freedom of thought.

Well, the sword cuts both ways, my friends. If we expect respect and acceptance, we must exude respect and acceptance. Even in the face of persecution. If we have a right to be homosexual, vegetarian, listen to Cannibal Corpse and smoke pot..... Well, to be honest and fair, other people have a right to be homophobic carnivores who drink cheap Gin and listen to Laurence Welk.

Fair is fair. Balance means BALANCE, not the other side on top now...

Israel is a prime example of a nation becoming the very same type of oppressor it suffered under.
Here is just one recent example: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100531/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_israel_palestinians

It's like the kid who gets beaten by mom or dad, and goes on to beat his kids.

It may not be his "fault" that he was raised like that, but it is his RESPONSIBILITY to overcome those evils. Otherwise he just perpetuates the cycle.

The same thing happens to individuals and nations alike.
Revolution begets revolution.
Now it is time for EVOLUTION.

Dude, I love you. I've been saying that for years. Look at racism and sexism. I'm completely for 100% equality among all groups, but look at how woman and minorities have used their equality. Now you look like a hero for making fun of men and an asshole for making fun of women.

I find white jokes hilarious. I find black jokes hilarious. I find jewish jokes hilarious. I'm just waiting for the day when any group can make any of these jokes. When you start to realize that race is meaningless and all problems and issues are cultural, you realize that the jokes are equally meaningless.

But I digress. The whole point of being open-minded is that the other side's opinion is allowed to be voiced and respected. Granted, I believe that most people who believe weed is dangerous are also people who see worthless drug users and automatically relate them to the drug itself. I also believe that they are under the impression that the govt is perfect so anything the govt supports must be right.

That being said, I also think that Christians are indoctrinated morons, but I wouldn't try to outlaw Christianity. So why do they have to take away what I want to do with my free time? If anybody knows somebody that is very involved in a big church, you know how worthlessly they spend their time. You would expect discussions about charitable donations and religious direction, right? Wrong.

Me sitting on my couch eating a bag of Doritos is no more or less socially destructive than sitting in a room talking about how to use your untaxed donations (which, btw, I totally support heavy taxation of marijuana if legalized) to build a new annex on your church. The tax money collected from the ridiculous amount of weed that would be sold every year would be much more useful than another fucking parking lot for your 10 acre church.

In conclusion, please leave me the fuck alone and let me spend my money, earned by working in this great country, to buy weed. Please, use my tax money to fuel social programs, homeless shelters, and yes, even national defense. Just give me the opportunity to be taxed!

--------------------

A cautious young fellow named Lodge / Had seat belts installed in his Dodge. / When his date was strapped in / He committed a sin / Without even leaving the garage. That's clever, isn't it?-A boy and his dog

InvisibleInvisible_Woe

Loc: Mabase
    #12664423 - 06/01/10 12:17 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

JackofSpades said:

--------------------
These are not the answers you should be questioning.

OfflinejdogGA15
Jdog
Male

Loc: Georgia,US
Re: [IN] Pot war in eradication mode [Re: Invisible_Woe]
    #12665280 - 06/01/10 07:19 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Invisible_Woe said:
Quote:

JackofSpades said:

REEFER MADNESS  RUNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cheech::chong:

--------------------
"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough." -Einstein

"If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on." -Mckenna

My List(things consumed):DXM,Nn-DMT,Cannabis,many JWH like chems,2c-E,many Psilocybe mushrooms,cocaine,Many different benzos,opiates,and barbs,MDA,MDMA,Methamphetamine,LSD,Crack,alcohol,benadryl(at recreational doses),caffine,tabacco,Inhalants,Carispradol,Nitrous Oxide,salvia,indian warrior

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/15270285 ; ^^^========TRADE LIST

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck