Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Sharks in rivers * 1
    #12662903 - 05/31/10 07:49 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I'm guessing the majority of the Pub aren't as much of fish nerds as I am, so I felt like asking a question and feeding you some knowledge

Were you aware that one of the most aggressive and deadly sharks in the world has recently adapted to live in freshwater?

This is a bull shark:

Since the 1930s bull sharks have been recorded moving up rivers and there have been many attacks on humans... IN RIVERS... All over the world.  And by all over the world I mean from Australia to New Jersey, USA. A series of bull shark attacks in New Jersey were actually the inspiration for the Jaws novels/movies.

They have been found as far as 2,200 miles away from an ocean in rivers. They can reach a length of 13 feet and are more than capable of taking down just about any human swimming in a river. In fact, some scientists in South Africa caught the largest bull shark known to man in freshwater

These fuckers have even been recorded as far north as the mouth of the Great Lakes in the Mississippi River. They've even found them in lakes in some countries.

I'm gonna think twice about swimming in a river next time I get the chance... But I'll probably do it.

Anyone else kinda freaked out by bull sharks?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJesusYodiHomeboy
Dimension Hopper

Re: Sharks in rivers [Re: Gumby]
    #12662910 - 05/31/10 07:52 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Um dude....you just gave me like the coolest band name idea ever.

Lol

Sharks In Rivers

That'll be a band some day....

--------------------
She's well acquainted with the touch of the velvet hand
Like a lizard on a window pane
The man in the crowd with the multicoloured mirrors
On his hobnail boots
Lying with his eyes while his hands are busy working overtime
A soap impression of his wife which he ate
And donated to the National Trust

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: Sharks in rivers [Re: JesusYodiHomeboy]
    #12662923 - 05/31/10 07:54 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

DO IT! I'd come see ya.

Offlinefapjack
Title
 User Gallery

Loc: Central New Jersey
    #12662926 - 05/31/10 07:54 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

They killed a bunch of couple people not too far away from me like 100 years ago.  I'm much more worried about dying in a car accident and I still drive.  Rivers in NJ are so god damn polluted though I won't swim in them unless I'm shit faced drunk.  Probably more likely to get caught in the current and drown.  I will gladly mount a dead shark though if I find one dead on the side of the river.

--------------------

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
    #12662955 - 05/31/10 07:59 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

That's cool, but if they run into a beaver dam, wouldn't that stop them from going any further?

OfflineROGER5676
truckload
Male User Gallery

Loc: niagara falls, ny
Re: Sharks in rivers [Re: fapjack]
    #12662958 - 05/31/10 08:00 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

watched a show on it about a year ago. bull sharks were offing kids in a river a long ass time ago

Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

Loc: Yonder Flag
    #12662974 - 05/31/10 08:03 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I did not know that, Gumby. Wow. Thanks for shattering my up until now safe feeling about jumping in the river. I swim across lakes and rivers all of the time. I freak out when a branch or something brushes up against my leg anyway.

Does it mention how they are able to adapt and why other salt water species haven't done it?

--------------------

:murray:

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: Sharks in rivers [Re: nooneman]
    #12662979 - 05/31/10 08:04 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

nooneman said:
That's cool, but if they run into a beaver dam, wouldn't that stop them from going any further?

Not necessarily, especially if the river is flooded. They can jump too.

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Turtle Island
    #12662980 - 05/31/10 08:04 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Oh yea.. the terrors of the deep ocean-- brought to the safety of the shallows..

I think I'm safe up in Canada but you never know..

:tinfoil:

They also hunt in schools sometimes...

--------------------

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
    #12663010 - 05/31/10 08:07 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Gumby said:
Quote:

nooneman said:

Not necessarily, especially if the river is flooded. They can jump too.

In that case I'm staying the fuck away from rivers :uhoh:

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: Sharks in rivers [Re: blissedout]
    #12663019 - 05/31/10 08:09 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

blissedout said:
Does it mention how they are able to adapt and why other salt water species haven't done it?

Yep. They have a gland called the rectal gland (great name, btw) which enables them to regulate the salt content of their body. Sensory organs all over the body detect salt content of the water and the gland adjusts the salt content of their body so that they can survive. Perfectly adapted for both salt and fresh water.

From what I've read this adaption has happened within the past ~200 years and they're getting much better at switching between the two. Scary part is only the large ones are able to make the fresh-salt switch easily.

InvisibleSet
candy colored clown
 User Gallery

Loc: right near da beach Flag
    #12663023 - 05/31/10 08:09 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Yes.

I don't like it one bit.

--------------------
    classic LOVELINE

Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

#12663050 - 05/31/10 08:14 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

That's pretty damned interesting. A little scary, too. I always felt safe in lakes and rivers, because the only thing that you really needed to worry about were water moccasins, and alligators. Alligators are pretty rare in middle Alabama rivers, so snakes were the biggest thing to watch for. Lake water is always so dark, too. Freaky!

--------------------

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Turtle Island
    #12663071 - 05/31/10 08:18 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

blissedout said:
That's pretty damned interesting. A little scary, too. I always felt safe in lakes and rivers, because the only thing that you really needed to worry about were water moccasins, and alligators. Alligators are pretty rare in middle Alabama rivers, so snakes were the biggest thing to watch for. Lake water is always so dark, too. Freaky!

Most of the lakes I go swimming in are in northern Ontario, and they are essentially gashes dug into the rock of the Canadian Shield by glaciers.

This gives you lakes that are rock bottomed [no sand], very steep [near vertical drops often], very deep, and black water.

I'm always wondering what creatures may be chilling at the bottom...

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

#12663107 - 05/31/10 08:22 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

blissedout said:

Eh, in rivers and lakes cottonmouths (water moccasins) are not an issue, I've caught many and I doubt you'll have issues in anything more than 3-4 foot deep water near downed trees and plants. I'd be MUCH more afraid of alligators in your area. Shit, we even get them up around Lake Lanier in GA from time to time. I wouldn't dismiss them at all.

But when it comes to rivers, even in NJ, I'll probably think "you know, it would really suck if a bull shark grabbed my leg while I'm swimming." I'd be fucked.

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
    #12663128 - 05/31/10 08:26 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

They best stay away from the Adirondacks. :crankey:

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Loc: Darkside of the moon Flag
Re: Sharks in rivers [Re: THE KRAT BARON] * 1
    #12663172 - 05/31/10 08:34 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

i know about this.

i love the show River monsters on animal planet.

--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Offlinecitricacidx
FunGuy
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: GA
    #12663185 - 05/31/10 08:36 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Recently usually means within the past few years.. not 80 years ago.

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: Sharks in rivers [Re: citricacidx] * 1
    #12663239 - 05/31/10 08:46 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Depends if you're talking people speak or biology speak. An adaption made within the past 1000 years is recent in the scope of biology.

Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

#12663273 - 05/31/10 08:50 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Gumby said:
Quote:

blissedout said:

Eh, in rivers and lakes cottonmouths (water moccasins) are not an issue, I've caught many and I doubt you'll have issues in anything more than 3-4 foot deep water near downed trees and plants. I'd be MUCH more afraid of alligators in your area. Shit, we even get them up around Lake Lanier in GA from time to time. I wouldn't dismiss them at all.

Meh, in the lakes/rivers in and around Montgomery, there aren't many gators, at all. Also, I have seen many moccasins swimming ACROSS the river/lake and they are very aggressive! They will even go so far as to come after you even if you aren't in their path. My uncle almost blew a hole in his boat early one morning because a moccasin had crawled into his boat.:lol:

--------------------

Offlinenismo2491
i will teach you real kung fu
Male User Gallery

Loc: On The Beach, FL Flag
    #12663336 - 05/31/10 08:58 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

i live near and surf regularly one of the 5 most shark infested beaches in the world (New Smyrna) as well as notoriously shark infested Stewart Inlet, Cocoa Beach, etc.  I've been out on a board and felt something brush my leg. probably nothing big, but its still a sketchy feeling

--------------------
Semi-Official Shroomery Fantasy Hockey 2010 League
"I just solved world peace! Everybody just needs to take a piss!"
Ythan said: nismo2491 won the ban lotto for the week of May 09, 2010
Shroomery - #1 Distraction from Studying

InvisibleBender B Rodriguez
The Greatest
Male User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, CO
Re: Sharks in rivers [Re: nismo2491]
    #12663383 - 05/31/10 09:05 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Gumby, I don't know if you watch River Monsters but there was a show on bull sharks and how they are moving up into fresh water and becoming land locked

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: Sharks in rivers [Re: Bender B Rodriguez]
    #12663542 - 05/31/10 09:27 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Bender B Rodriguez said:
Gumby, I don't know if you watch River Monsters but there was a show on bull sharks and how they are moving up into fresh water and becoming land locked

Yep, that's exactly where I got the info for the post. I saw it a few months ago and then let it sink in for a bit. After seeing it again (on Animal Planet right now, btw) I decided to make a post about it. It's definitely worth letting people know about.

Invisibledr_gonz
. [Re: Gumby]
    #12663575 - 05/31/10 09:32 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

#12663592 - 05/31/10 09:34 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

nismo2491 said:
i live near and surf regularly one of the 5 most shark infested beaches in the world (New Smyrna) as well as notoriously shark infested Stewart Inlet, Cocoa Beach, etc.  I've been out on a board and felt something brush my leg. probably nothing big, but its still a sketchy feeling

I go to New Smyrna Beach every Christmas. You couldn't pay me enough to go take a swim there... Beautiful place, but so many fucking things out there that could turn me into an afternoon snack.

Oddly enough, New Smyrna is considered the shark attack capital of the world, but no one has ever been killed by a shark there. They just get nibbled on a bit.

--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Offlinehighdroponics
Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy Flag
Re: Sharks in rivers [Re: dr_gonz]
    #12663611 - 05/31/10 09:35 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

And here I was swimming in a river just today, the Potomac which is probably a high risk river when dealing with these guys.

--------------------
Dr :ronpaul: says to stop trying to treat the side-effects of big government and focus on the core issues. End the Federal Reserve/audit the gold reserves at Fort Knox, abolish the IRS, end all wars and occupancies, stop the building of an empire that will inevitably fail, and cut all unconstitutional federal programs. Put the power back in the peoples' hands by ending this nanny-state.

Offlinebigboi86
Overclocker
Male User Gallery

Loc: South East Flag
    #12663614 - 05/31/10 09:36 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Gumby said:
Sharks in rivers

Snakes on planes

--------------------

Anybody want to buy my shirt?

Offlinenismo2491
Male User Gallery

Re: Sharks in rivers [Re: highdroponics]
    #12663624 - 05/31/10 09:37 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

WakeboardrB said:
Quote:

nismo2491 said:

I go to New Smyrna Beach every Christmas. You couldn't pay me enough to go take a swim there... Beautiful place, but so many fucking things out there that could turn me into an afternoon snack.

Oddly enough, New Smyrna is considered the shark attack capital of the world, but no one has ever been killed by a shark there. They just get nibbled on a bit.

yeah, besides, I can spare an arm or toe or something :wink:
fuck that shit. I'll surf out there. I mean its a risk but its still minimal.
Quote:

highdroponics said:
And here I was swimming in a river just today, the Potomac which is probably a high risk river when dealing with these guys.

I grew up in MD. the potomac is a sketchy river to swim in anyways :wink: lol. what part? anything north of roughly DC would be safe due to great falls and everything.

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: Sharks in rivers [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #12663641 - 05/31/10 09:39 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

It always sucks when "nibbled on a bit" means losing a leg. Happens a lot. Sharks come in and they're like "what's up human thigh, you look delicious." And next thing you know you're bleeding out because it ruptured you femoral artery.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

#12663657 - 05/31/10 09:41 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

highdroponics said:

Potomac is full of snakeheads now. While they won't drag you under, they will definitely give you scars if they bite you. I want to go fishing for them some time soon.

Offlinenismo2491
Male User Gallery

#12663668 - 05/31/10 09:43 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Gumby said:
Quote:

highdroponics said:

Potomac is full of snakeheads now. While they won't drag you under, they will definitely give you scars if they bite you. I want to go fishing for them some time soon.

that sucks. i remember when snakeheads first started showing up in MD. I was still living there then.

--------------------

Offlinehighdroponics
Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

#12663724 - 05/31/10 09:53 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I haven't noticed any myself...I go fishing for bass and other predatory fish, I thought I woulda caught one by now.

I used to have one in my aquarium...they are nasty little bastards.

--------------------
Dr :ronpaul: says to stop trying to treat the side-effects of big government and focus on the core issues. End the Federal Reserve/audit the gold reserves at Fort Knox, abolish the IRS, end all wars and occupancies, stop the building of an empire that will inevitably fail, and cut all unconstitutional federal programs. Put the power back in the peoples' hands by ending this nanny-state.

Edited by highdroponics (05/31/10 09:55 PM)

Offlinewhitelight7
Sr.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington Flag
    #12663976 - 05/31/10 10:41 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Good to see some fish topics on here.  I'm a marine biologist/ minor mico (guess why the random interest in that) and I've considered those rectal glands for thesis topics.  Anyone who's finds this interesting should look into some of the other glands various fish have evolved for eurystatic spp.

PS. you guys don't have much to fear with these guys.  Bull sharks are deff one of the more aggressive, but honestly, when we see shark down here, even tiger (or lemon when we're in the islands) we jump in.  I did have a friend whose grad student lost a leg to what they thought was a lemon, but if you take the chance of driving a car at 70mph, you should try the fun of diving with these prehistoric dudes.:cheers:

--------------------
Staunch supporter of spontaneous generation:cheers:

InvisibleSet
candy colored clown
 User Gallery

Re: Sharks in rivers [Re: whitelight7]
    #12663996 - 05/31/10 10:46 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

haha :awesome:

--------------------
    classic LOVELINE

Offlinehighdroponics
Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

#12664006 - 05/31/10 10:48 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I want to attack a shark for once.

Just jump out of a boat onto a shark and start wrestling for my life.

I seen some guy do something similar with a sailfish or marlin, cant remember which, from a helicopter and it was like the most epic way of fishing I have ever seen and want to do it myself. A shark would be a bit funnier though.

--------------------

Offlinewhitelight7
Sr.
Male User Gallery

#12664018 - 05/31/10 10:50 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

highdroponics said:
I want to attack a shark for once.

Just jump out of a boat onto a shark and start wrestling for my life.

I seen some guy do something similar with a sailfish or marlin, cant remember which, from a helicopter and it was like the most epic way of fishing I have ever seen and want to do it myself. A shark would be a bit funnier though.

I don't recommend that, but if you, do tape it and post it...  but don't do it.

--------------------

Offlinehighdroponics
Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

#12664031 - 05/31/10 10:54 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I'm not going to, it's just one of those thoughts I had that I will never do but think it would be funny and thrilling if I did.

--------------------

Offlinewhitelight7
Sr.
Male User Gallery

#12664095 - 05/31/10 11:08 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Damn, I was kind of hoping you would:tongue:

--------------------

Offlinenismo2491
Male User Gallery

#12664171 - 05/31/10 11:22 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

for the record, if somebody bankrolls the trip I will be MORE than happy to do this :laugh:

--------------------

OfflineJackofSpades
Peace
Male

#12664214 - 05/31/10 11:31 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

dude do it with a big fucking knife or samarai sword that would be badass.

lets hope giant octopus can figure out how to breathe in the fresh water so he can kill mega bull shark in the river  :beakedwhale:  :fishgun:

[url=http://www.traileraddict.com/content/unknown

--------------------
If you're frightened of dying and  you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth.

Edited by JackofSpades (05/31/10 11:32 PM)

OfflineMoronicus
smokehousebacon.
Male

#12664225 - 05/31/10 11:33 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Maybe this was my doing... :uptosomething:

--------------------

BACON RANCH, FUCK YEAH

A post about m00nshine

Anonymous #6 said:
Yes, it is. The shine stands for his job title, which is Shoe Shiner, the moon stands for the time he comes out to be a nigger, which is best suited for the negroid camouflage.

Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

Re: Sharks in rivers [Re: JackofSpades]
    #12664249 - 05/31/10 11:37 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Starring Debbie Gibson and Lorenzo Lamas

:lol:

--------------------

OfflinePreparationH
apply daily

Loc: Amsterdam
    #12664269 - 05/31/10 11:39 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

bahahaha sharks in rivers? YEA OK... what's next? snakes on a plane :lol: you guyssss

InvisibleSet
candy colored clown
 User Gallery

Re: Sharks in rivers [Re: PreparationH]
    #12664317 - 05/31/10 11:49 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

:crankey:

:omgz:

--------------------
    classic LOVELINE

OfflinePreparationH
apply daily

Loc: Amsterdam
Re: Sharks in rivers [Re: Set]
    #12664330 - 05/31/10 11:53 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

lol wtf is the shark like 30 ft wide in that clip :lol:

Offlinecitricacidx
FunGuy
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: GA
Re: Sharks in rivers [Re: Set]
    #12664337 - 05/31/10 11:54 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Set said:
:crankey:

:omgz:

That's the exact happenings of a bull shark river attack.

--------------------

InvisibleSet
candy colored clown
 User Gallery

Re: Sharks in rivers [Re: PreparationH]
    #12664342 - 05/31/10 11:55 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

It's real, don't question it.

--------------------
    classic LOVELINE

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

#12664359 - 06/01/10 12:01 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

This thread makes me glad i live in California....We don't have shit to worry about as far as critters in the water go, and I'm still always sketched out when it comes to getting in rivers and lakes...

We've had the occasional Whale, Dolphin, and Seal swim up the Sacramento river....But that's about it. We do have Crawfish in the rivers, they can pinch ya :shrug: :grin:....

--------------------

Invisiblekintos
Stranger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #12664372 - 06/01/10 12:03 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

nismo2491 said:

my dad got bit by a small shark on the right hand at new smyrna, his thumb and index finger along with most of the knuckes and the bones (think L shape) were literally hanging off by threads. left a cool scar but he cant use chopsticks

--------------------

OfflineJackofSpades
Peace
Male

Re: Sharks in rivers [Re: openmind]
    #12664375 - 06/01/10 12:04 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

great white sharks are infamous off ca

--------------------
If you're frightened of dying and  you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth.

Offlinenismo2491
Male User Gallery

Re: Sharks in rivers [Re: openmind]
    #12664397 - 06/01/10 12:10 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

zenthor said:
but he cant use chopsticks

well, now I officially will never be getting in the water again. I don't know what I'd do with myself if I couldn't properly eat sushi!!! (only half kidding btw :laugh:)

as far as critters biting or pinching me. I grew up on the chesapeake bay. I've been crabbing since I was 5 years old. One of my first jobs back in high school was working a crab boat for 2 summers.  I spend countless hours in/on the water every year and have NEVER had a crab or similar nibble on me, ever.  had a crab pinch the shit out of me while moving it from a bushel to a steamer, but you'd do the same thing if you were that crab! HA

--------------------

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

Re: Sharks in rivers [Re: JackofSpades]
    #12664418 - 06/01/10 12:16 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

JackofSpades said:
great white sharks are infamous off ca

Indeed they are.....

I grew up on the beach, and never once heard a report of one in the area....But no doubt they are out there

--------------------

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

#12665667 - 06/01/10 09:57 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

nismo2491 said:
Quote:

zenthor said:

well, now I officially will never be getting in the water again. I don't know what I'd do with myself if I couldn't properly eat sushi!!! (only half kidding btw :laugh:)

as far as critters biting or pinching me. I grew up on the chesapeake bay. I've been crabbing since I was 5 years old. One of my first jobs back in high school was working a crab boat for 2 summers.  I spend countless hours in/on the water every year and have NEVER had a crab or similar nibble on me, ever.  had a crab pinch the shit out of me while moving it from a bushel to a steamer, but you'd do the same thing if you were that crab! HA

Wow, that's some good luck. I've stepped on countless crabs and been pinched many times while fishing and surfing. We used to go to Myrtle Beach when I was younger and go crabbing off the Cherry Grove Pier for dinner (with crab pots) and even used to catch crab with a raw chicken leg tied to a string at the inlet. After years of doing that I've had the ever living shit pinched out of me on multiple occasions. You should have seen the nightmares I used to get every night after crabbing. It's still a phobia of mine, I'm scared shitless of how alien those fuckers look. I've also caught multiple sharks there as well as at Wrightsville beach. Sharks don't bother me as much, unless they get too close to me while i'm in the water.

We were also out at Duck (outer banks) about 4 years ago and a shark swam right in between us while we were surfing late in the afternoon. I had nightmares for a week after that.

That coupled with being stung by jellyfish probably a dozen times and watching my friend have a Portugese Man Of War wrap itself around his torso, it's left a bad taste in my mouth as far as swimming in the ocean goes. There are just too many things that can cause serious pain/ want to see what you taste like.

The worst you have to worry about in a Lake or River (aside from bull sharks) are snakes and they are super easy to spot. But snakes won't go after you unless you surprise or threaten them. They won't just decide to go after a human for a quick afternoon snack.

--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Offlinenismo2491
Male User Gallery

Re: Sharks in rivers [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #12665709 - 06/01/10 10:07 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

WakeboardrB said:
Quote:

nismo2491 said:
Quote:

zenthor said:

Wow, that's some good luck. I've stepped on countless crabs and been pinched many times while fishing and surfing. We used to go to Myrtle Beach when I was younger and go crabbing off the Cherry Grove Pier for dinner (with crab pots) and even used to catch crab with a raw chicken leg tied to a string at the inlet. After years of doing that I've had the ever living shit pinched out of me on multiple occasions. You should have seen the nightmares I used to get every night after crabbing. It's still a phobia of mine, I'm scared shitless of how alien those fuckers look. I've also caught multiple sharks there as well as at Wrightsville beach. Sharks don't bother me as much, unless they get too close to me while i'm in the water.

Its not luck, its knowing how to properly handle wildlife (by no means trying to say you don't, I'm sure never being pinched while crabbing is luck. you crab for a long time, eventually one's gonna get ya).
Quote:

We were also out at Duck (outer banks) about 4 years ago and a shark swam right in between us while we were surfing late in the afternoon. I had nightmares for a week after that.

dorsal fin sticking out of the water? yeah, I'd probably shit myself.
Quote:

That coupled with being stung by jellyfish probably a dozen times and watching my friend have a Portugese Man Of War wrap itself around his torso, it's left a bad taste in my mouth as far as swimming in the ocean goes. There are just too many things that can cause serious pain/ want to see what you taste like.

The worst you have to worry about in a Lake or River (aside from bull sharks) are snakes and they are super easy to spot. But snakes won't go after you unless you surprise or threaten them. They won't just decide to go after a human for a quick afternoon snack.

yeah, fuck jellyfish.  but I'll stick to my nice, clean, crystal clear (till the oil makes its way here) ocean water :laugh:

--------------------

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

#12665757 - 06/01/10 10:22 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I think it was mostly because I was young, between 6-12 years old and eventually I got the hang of handling crabs, but it took a lot of not so positive reinforcement if you know what I mean. I remember one of them got me so bad I had to get like 6 stitches on my finger to close the wound. To this day I still won't touch a crab. They just freak me out too much. Last Christmas we were fishing at New Smyrna beach and a kid came down to the dock with a bucket of sand crabs he was using for bait and was letting us use them. It was rather embarrassing having to ask a 10 year old kid to bait your hook for you. :blush:

Yep, dorsal fin and it wasn't no fuckin dolphin. It was pretty small, probably no longer than 4 ft, but a 4 foot shark is still plenty big to make you get the fuck out of the water in 10 seconds flat.

We stuck to my friends hot tub for the rest of the vacation.

--------------------

OfflineSnip
aimin' at your head

Loc: Mountains of the Moon
    #12667858 - 06/01/10 05:33 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Gumby said:

These fuckers have even been recorded as far north as the mouth of the Great Lakes in the Mississippi River. They've even found them in lakes in some countries.

As far as the... Great Lakes ???

Holy shit I have a story for my GF next time we are swimming in the river. Bwahahaha

--------------------
cross my heart and hope to die

OfflineAJ4U
Cloud N9ne
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty Jersey
    #12667886 - 06/01/10 05:38 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Gumby said:
But when it comes to rivers, even in NJ, I'll probably think "you know, it would really suck if a bull shark grabbed my leg while I'm swimming." I'd be fucked.

LOL both of us being from jersey i gotta say, id be more worried about running into one of these!

Haha but for real yo, its amazing anything can even live in our new jersey water :rofl:

--------------------

InvisibleTTT
Cultivate the inside
 User Gallery

Re: Sharks in rivers [Re: AJ4U]
    #12667904 - 06/01/10 05:42 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Bull sharks are the main reason why I hate swimming at the beach. Snorkeling I can handle, but wading up to my waist at a beach with no goggles makes me nervous.

OfflineROGER5676
truckload
Male User Gallery

Loc: niagara falls, ny
Re: Sharks in rivers [Re: Snip]
    #12668207 - 06/01/10 06:27 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Snip said:
Quote:

Gumby said:

As far as the... Great Lakes ???

Holy shit I have a story for my GF next time we are swimming in the river. Bwahahaha

i am on lake ontario salmon fishing about 5 days a week on my boat. i would love to hook into one of those monsters. not sure my net is big enough though :rofl2:

Offlinenismo2491
Male User Gallery

Re: Sharks in rivers [Re: ROGER5676]
    #12668260 - 06/01/10 06:35 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

fuck a net, club the bitch with a paddle.

--------------------

Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

Re: Sharks in rivers [Re: TTT]
    #12672377 - 06/02/10 01:25 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

TTT said:
Bull sharks are the main reason why I hate swimming at the beach. Snorkeling I can handle, but wading up to my waist at a beach with no goggles makes me nervous.

Same here. I love scuba diving, but all of that flopping around on top of the water in the blind is shit that bait does. :uhoh:

--------------------

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

#12672400 - 06/02/10 01:32 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Oh man, that feeling when you think something is right behind you and you just can't get away fast enough...

That's how I felt when we were surfing and a shark swam in between us. I had never felt so much terror before in my life.

:scream:

Then when I got on the beach I felt like I was going to have a heart attack because of all the amphetamines and adrenaline in my system. Fortunately he had a decent supply of Aplrazolam and Alcohol at the house.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom