Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemattcsa
Mystic
Male

My First Grow(cubes), A thread for all my first-timer questions(question1:regarding lighting)
    #12660501 - 05/31/10 11:46 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

First off I have to thank this community for helping me get thus far. The information here is invaluable.

Lipa Yai(Psilocybe Cubensis) are in the process of colonizing my first time BRF jars and I'm in the process of gathering supplies for when the cakes are ready to be birthed.

I've posted a grow log in the proper forum which I will be updating as 'it' happens(See my grow log). I expect to have more than one question as I undertake the next steps so i decided to make a thread here to gather them all in one place. I'll make good use of the search function before 'posting' a question here, to try to weed out some my more simpler answered questions.

My first question is regarding lighting. After i birth my cakes and put them in my fruiting chamber I'm planning on doing a 'natural light cycle' of 12 hours on/and 12 hours off(as recommended by Roger Rabbit in his mushroomvideos.com videos) with a Compact Fluorescent Light between 5,000-7,000 kelvin. In particular I will be looking for a 6,500k CFL as there seems to be a consensus that 6,500k best mimics natural conditions.

I was planning on buying four CFLights and screwing them into the main lighting fixture in my spare bedroom(which happens to be a ceiling fan/lighting fixture. You follow?) and placing my fruiting chamber directly underneath. With about 5 feet from the CFL's and my FC.

But after reading Rogger Rabbits Fruiting Chamber section on his website and diggin' deeper I've found that for best results the lighting should be close to the FC.
In RR words: "Place the fluorescent lamps as close as you can get them to your terrariums without causing excessive heating."

and from one of RR's post:As close as you can without causing your fruiting area to heat up.  Usually, four to ten inches away from the fruiting chamber is fine.  You'll see an immediate improvement in performance and fruit size.

Now I suppose my cakes would fruit fine with four CFL's(in my ceiling fan lighting fixture) about 5 feet from the top of my fruiting chamber, but I'm curious how much improvement it would make in the quantity/size/potency of my fruits if I bought some type of light fixture to place 4-10 inch's away from my FC. I'm thinking that it would make a difference and would be the 'best way to go'.

SO any recommendations on what type of light fixture to get/and how much it would cost me. My FC will be sitting on a old TV stand(without the TV). I have 'a picture in my head' of what the light fixture would look like, but I'm not sure what it's called or how much it'd cost me.

What do you think? Should i go with CFL screwed into my ceiling fan light fixture? Is 4 too many if they'll be a whole 5 feet away from the fruting chamber? Should i buy some other type of light fixture to sit close to the FC? How much would it cost?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNizzyJones
Fight evil with funk
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere North of Normal
Re: My First Grow(cubes), A thread for all my first-timer questions(question1:regarding lighting) [Re: mattcsa]
    #12660573 - 05/31/10 12:04 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

You can get a cheap little 'shop light' that'll hold one or two fluorescent tubes pretty cheap at most any hardware store (some require you to wire the power chord yourself if that's the case just buy a cheap 12ft extension chord and cut one end off to strip, connect to appropriate wires from the light, twist connections and insulate each connection with electrical tape.

Depending on the room it may or may not be better none of us can know what your grow space is like any better than you can :shrug:

--------------------
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone, may the four winds blow you safely home
Curriculum vapidum (dry herb vapes)

Offlineafrosheen
9Lives the cat
Male User Gallery

Re: My First Grow(cubes), A thread for all my first-timer questions(question1:regarding lighting) [Re: NizzyJones]
    #12660589 - 05/31/10 12:08 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Get a rack, put your FC in the rack, then get those directional can lights with the curved reflectors behind the fixture. Put your 6500k light in the fixture, done.

Something like this you can find anywhere: http://www.hidhut.com/catalog/clampon-light-fixture-cable-p-1808.html

or this, same thing:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=light+clamp&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=13443184571660587699&ei=gfsDTIWhOcL38AaN09HxDQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCUQ8wIwAA#

--------------------

Edited by afrosheen (05/31/10 12:10 PM)

Offlinemattcsa
Mystic
Male

Re: My First Grow(cubes), A thread for all my first-timer questions(question1:regarding lighting) [Re: NizzyJones]
    #12660650 - 05/31/10 12:24 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

NizzyJones said:
You can get a cheap little 'shop light' that'll hold one or two fluorescent tubes pretty cheap at most any hardware store (some require you to wire the power chord yourself if that's the case just buy a cheap 12ft extension chord and cut one end off to strip, connect to appropriate wires from the light, twist connections and insulate each connection with electrical tape.

thanks for the reply, i just looked up 'shop lights'...ah i see, according to this random web page I infer I can buy a fluorescent tube that i can suspend over my FC with 'chains(chain hanging assembly)'

Quote:

NizzyJones said:

Depending on the room it may or may not be better none of us can know what your grow space is like any better than you can :shrug:

I know what you mean. Just to paint a better picture, my grow space is just a spare bedroom with a TV stand that stands about 3 feet tall. It has a ceiling fan in the center of the room that has a 'place' for 4 light bulbs.

Offlinemattcsa
Mystic
Male

Re: My First Grow(cubes), A thread for all my first-timer questions(question1:regarding lighting) [Re: afrosheen]
    #12660689 - 05/31/10 12:34 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

afrosheen said:
Get a rack, put your FC in the rack, then get those directional can lights with the curved reflectors behind the fixture. Put your 6500k light in the fixture, done.

Something like this you can find anywhere: http://www.hidhut.com/catalog/clampon-light-fixture-cable-p-1808.html

or this, same thing:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=light+clamp&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=13443184571660587699&ei=gfsDTIWhOcL38AaN09HxDQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCUQ8wIwAA#

The "directional can lights with the curved reflectors behind the fixture" is closer to the 'picture i had in my mind', but it has to be mounted

... on a 'rack'? Can you elaborate?

Offlineafrosheen
9Lives the cat
Male User Gallery

Re: My First Grow(cubes), A thread for all my first-timer questions(question1:regarding lighting) [Re: mattcsa]
    #12661815 - 05/31/10 04:37 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

The rack mounting is optional but it'll clean up your setup. I'm thinking a 3 or 4 shelf rack, similar to this: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=shelving+rack+wire&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&cid=15339703328488839620&ei=njkETPK0MIW62AS82IDHCQ&sa=title&ved=0CBAQ8wIwAjgA#p

Of course it doesn't need to be expensive (and it doesn't even need to be a wire rack), but it'll allow you to place the lights where they need to be, give you airflow for the bottom of your FC if you're using a shotgun FC, etc. Just makes things easier overall.

Just get an idea of how far you plan to take the hobby and make your decisions based on that. A wire rack will give you a lifetime of service and even if you give up the hobby, I'm sure you'll find something to throw on it. :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags