Home | Community | Message Board

Old Faithful Seed Bank
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Perlite, pH Test Strips, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < First | < Back | 808 | 809 | 810 | 811 | 812 | 813 | 814 | 815 | 816 | 817 | 818 | 819 | 820 | 821 | 822 | 823 | 824 | 825 | 826 | 827 | 828 | Next >
Invisiblepsi
TOAST N' JAM
Male User Gallery

Loc: 905 Flag
Re: Loph Growers Unite! [Re: Zombi3]
    #26842371 - 07/24/20 12:06 PM (15 days, 10 hours ago)

I have some seeds of williamsii v. pentagona I should get to sprouting. Stays at 5 ribs for a lot longer apparently. Not sure if they are any good now, I forgot about them for a few years.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleninja cat 09
A paranoid android
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Mx Flag
Re: Loph Growers Unite! [Re: psi] * 2
    #26842403 - 07/24/20 12:21 PM (15 days, 10 hours ago)

Quote:

Saltillo-Monclova Km39

Saltillo and Monclova are both cities in Mexico, the km39 was probably the highway km that they were found down on between the two cities. Sometimes highways here have the km you're at on a sign.

--------------------
             :crazykitty:

InvisibleShroomAnon
Old head

Loc: NW Eng Flag
Re: Loph Growers Unite! [Re: ninja cat 09]
    #26842570 - 07/24/20 01:59 PM (15 days, 8 hours ago)

:camping:

--------------------
na

Offlinestagger
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: state of perpetual latene...
Re: Loph Growers Unite! [Re: ShroomAnon] * 2
    #26842873 - 07/24/20 05:06 PM (15 days, 5 hours ago)

--------------------
Seems like all this life,
Was just a dream

InvisibleMostly_HarmlessM
wyrd bið ful aræd
Male User Gallery

Loc: Perfidious Albion Flag
Re: Loph Growers Unite! [Re: Zombi3]
    #26843256 - 07/24/20 08:21 PM (15 days, 2 hours ago)

Quote:

Zombi3 said:
I’m also curious if you guys can shed some light on Loph seed prices?
I buy from a place that sells 10 seeds of most Loph species for between $7-$10. But there are 3 varieties that are double that, they sell for $20/10 seeds. I guess I’m wondering what makes them so pricey and if there’s anything special about them...

Here’s the pricey strains in question:
- L.Williamsii var. Weisse Bluete
- L.Williamsii var. Grau-Bleu
- L.Williamsii var. El Milagro de Guadelupe  (These seeds are sold out so it must have been popular/desirable, even for the price @ $20 x 10 seeds).
- L.Williamsii var. Saltillo-Monclova Km39 - First of all what does the “Km39” represent/distinguish????    (Also, These seeds are sold out also so it must have been popular/desirable, even for the price @ $22).
- L.Williamsii var. decipiens  (Also sold out. Is this variety active?    (Prices were insane @ $25 x 10 seeds.

They are probably buying them from europe for very little, 1000 seeds for 35-60 euros, 10000 for 300-500 euros, depending on locales. And that is retail prices not wholesale. :shocked:

--------------------
●  EG Rules and Guidelines ● 

|| Lophophora Growers Unite! || Trichocereus Growers Unite! || Stone Eaters - A Soil Revolution ||

You must gather your party before venturing forth.

InvisibleMostly_HarmlessM
wyrd bið ful aræd
Male User Gallery

Loc: Perfidious Albion
Re: Loph Growers Unite! [Re: Solipsis] * 2
    #26851864 - 07/29/20 03:36 PM (10 days, 7 hours ago)

Quote:

Solipsis said:
From what I understand, LW decipiens is actually fricii - even if it is some variety of it making it a little less clear. Though it actually explains a lot of things that would otherwise not make sense.
I have some too, one grafted flowering plant being the notable one.

Hey does anyone have experience with cresting as a result of cramped space and the squeezing pressure it has as consequence? Have wondered about emulating a situation like that.. but i seem to have one now on a clusterpupping fricii.

Cresting from this cause, or any physical cause perhaps such as insect damage as well.. is the most likely to revert, is it not? And immediate reversion could i think also explain dichotomous growth? Last time it happened also on a Loph that pupped everywhere because of an insect damaged apex, it resulted in basically a trichotomous head.

too bad i cant even find a digital version of the book Teratopia..

From Cultivar journal :

Quote:

CRISTATE AS A FORM OF LIFE ON THE EARTH
(Abridged version - specially for "Cultivar".
Full version has been published in #3 of "Cacti and not only" in 2004)
Vyacheslav Philippov (Moscow, Russia)

Accordingly any cacti grower interested in the subject has to be content only with the popular sketches in mass-media plus an old book "The enigma of the origin of monstrosity and cristation in succulent plants" written by J.J. Verbeek Wolthuys*. In this volume the author went beyond the simple description of cases of cristation and ideas on its origin. The author made his conclusions based on his own experiments. Up to now there is no description in the literature of a method to get a crested plant with a 100 percent repetition. Thus we may only rest upon different points of view based on events entailing fasciation in a plant. The following factors are mentioned thereupon:

• mechanical injury
  • thermal injury
  • radiation
  • chemical injury (burning as well as poisoning)
  • disease resulting of injuries inflicted by parasitic insects
  • derangements in tissue nourishment (also a drastic change in cultivation conditions)
  • artificial propagation using in-vitro tissue culture.

* Verbeek Wolthuys, J.J.: Het raadsel van het ontstaan van monstruositeiten en cristaties bij de succulenten. The enigma of the origin of monstrosity and cristation in succulent plants. Haarlem, Joh. Enschede, [ca. 1938], pp. 73, 14 text-illustrations.

Teratopia has this to say :

Quote:

Since Wolthuys propounded the enigma in his popular handbook of over half a century ago, it has become clear that although environmental factors (mechanical injury, shock, nutrition) can trigger off teratological growth, there must be the right genetical background there in the first place.

--------------------
●  EG Rules and Guidelines ● 

|| Lophophora Growers Unite! || Trichocereus Growers Unite! || Stone Eaters - A Soil Revolution ||

You must gather your party before venturing forth.

OfflineMarmie
Peter peter portion eater
I'm a teapot

Loc: Deep inside the night
Re: Loph Growers Unite! [Re: Mostly_Harmless] * 5
    #26852690 - 07/29/20 11:46 PM (9 days, 23 hours ago)

Jst transplanted my 3yr old lophs finaly ,
Hi

Mostly texanas , a few big bends n about 4 ceasp.
I knocked the shelf over and everything went flying , repotted them all togeather so i have no idea which is which until they flower n pup ,

Planted them in 1 part limestone , 1part pumice , .5 part perlite and 1.5 parts compost /wormcastings  with a pumice top dressing

Cant wait til nxt year they shld start bulkin up a bit now they got more room

--------------------

Offlinegreenladel
Stranger

Re: Loph Growers Unite! [Re: Marmie]
    #26852985 - 07/30/20 07:34 AM (9 days, 15 hours ago)

Quote:

Marmie said:

i cant ignore the effort put into this potting. very satisfying to look at :thumbup:

Offlineteebeekid
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Loph Growers Unite! [Re: greenladel] * 3
    #26853791 - 07/30/20 04:48 PM (9 days, 6 hours ago)

new addition to the fam..baby yote :sun:

OfflineSolipsis
m̶a̶d̶ disappointed scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: the Neitherlands Flag
Re: Loph Growers Unite! [Re: teebeekid]
    #26855204 - 07/31/20 12:01 PM (8 days, 10 hours ago)

Who has seen seedling before of mutant e.g. crested Loph?

I have one that remains a lot smaller and is only a bald little thing..

here a pic, its at the base of the 2 normal ones:

is this one of those 'dont get your hopes up' situations?

Invisiblepsi
TOAST N' JAM
Male User Gallery

Re: Loph Growers Unite! [Re: Solipsis]
    #26855212 - 07/31/20 12:05 PM (8 days, 10 hours ago)

I have seen a few like that, and from what I remember they never did much. Seems like they don't have an apical meristem or any areoles, so there is nowhere for new growth to come from.

OfflineSolipsis
Male User Gallery

Re: Loph Growers Unite! [Re: psi] * 1
    #26855271 - 07/31/20 12:41 PM (8 days, 10 hours ago)

Ah ok thanks for tthat :smile:
Seems like an interesting subject for tissue culture to see if it can be coaxed into somatic embryogenesis and if that would only give other pointless balls

Invisiblepsi
TOAST N' JAM
Male User Gallery

#26855297 - 07/31/20 12:55 PM (8 days, 10 hours ago)

Yeah or even applying something like 6-BAP directly without the TC part. I suspect it might end up just growing normally once it has one or more apical meristems, but who knows.

OfflineZifozonke
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Loph Growers Unite! [Re: greenladel]
    #26855310 - 07/31/20 01:05 PM (8 days, 9 hours ago)

Quote:

greenladel said:
Quote:

Marmie said:

i cant ignore the effort put into this potting. very satisfying to look at :thumbup:

Damn awesome marmie
Those are beautiful

OfflineSolipsis
Male User Gallery

Re: Loph Growers Unite! [Re: Zifozonke]
    #26855368 - 07/31/20 01:29 PM (8 days, 9 hours ago)

Very nice marmie :laugh:

--

Also thanks a lot for that info!

Not sure if you agreed about decipiens = fricii, but i have ones sold as decipiens that are fricii so my limited experience at least confirms it.
it would mean that the answer to the question about the activity is: no not active, with mesc at least. That part would be deceptive then, if it was sold as a LW :smile:

About the Teratopia: is it a book worth the money? i would really love to have it. [found it and i went for it!]

will look into it more, i think that there is false fasciation that could be induced without genetic predisposition which would just revert very quickly.

And about the seedling above with no apparent apical meristem or areoles: isnt there other meristem in the center but lower? or is there tissue there which under influence of endogenous growth regulators can be turned into meristem when needed?
I thought there was backup like that...

Can a seedling when grafted and unable to grow elsewhere not pup from the meristem and break out anew? otherwise where does that grow out of?

--

There are some young Lophs that i would like to start propagating sooner rather than later and I don't like to wait and then deface the plant by decapitation of the apical meristem. I also don't do drills.

So i have been experimenting with another method and it works.

With a mL syringe i place a tiny droplet (smaller even than a standard water drop) of 2% HCl with an added tiny bit of soft soap onto the apical dip on the Loph which then damages the apical meristem minimally but effectively so that it starts pupping instead.
Probably works as well or better even a bit more diluted, like 0.5% HCl.

Perhaps sometimes for a change you might like a nice cluster, like this vari fricii (but i didnt do this, this was from thrips i think, but i might actually choose this):

Maybe you don't have any caesps and this lets you go in that direction, or maybe you do have a caesp and you wanna take it to the extreme. :smile:
I do find those strains of caesps interesting which don't have a big papa button, maybe that is just tactical pruning idk.

Since it will probably get overgrown by buttons, it's not necessarily that important that the apex damage is done aesthetically but this also so far seems to be a safe way to do it.

Edited by Solipsis (07/31/20 02:58 PM)

OfflineGlazedHazels
Reality Outran Apprehension

#26855917 - 07/31/20 07:43 PM (8 days, 3 hours ago)

Anyone else have decipiens sprout in under 2 days? The Menchacas haven't sprouted yet. I'm worried this is a result of all seeds and the topsoil being sprayed with 3% H202 that's 1:10. Maybe 3% of decipiens have sprouted in 2 days thus far.

P.S. Could anyone tell me the ideal height of a Trich pachanoi stock? I have a few columns ready to begin callusing.

Edited by GlazedHazels (07/31/20 09:10 PM)

OfflineMarmie
Peter peter portion eater
I'm a teapot

Loc: Deep inside the night
Re: Loph Growers Unite! [Re: GlazedHazels]
    #26856071 - 07/31/20 09:23 PM (8 days, 1 hour ago)

2 days is nothing , wait a couple weeks, ive had loph seeds germ 6 months later

--------------------

OfflineSolipsis
Male User Gallery

Re: Loph Growers Unite! [Re: Marmie]
    #26857898 - 08/01/20 11:51 PM (6 days, 23 hours ago)

I'm pretty bummed..

That thing about the seedling with no apical meristem or areoles?

I realize now that is probably whats going on with the only Lophophora fricii cv. "Ooibo" seedling that I have left, it is a grafted one, it seems it has nowhere to grow from and the Peres aquosa stock is just trying to grow shoots instead...
Sucks cause i lost the other ones of this cultivar too for various reasons... I was just waiting and hoping that it would burst out with a totally new plantlet, started over.. that does sometimes happen but i guess there needs to be meristem at least somewhere.

There are ways in tissue culture to make callus cultures, possibly with like 2,4-D. Might there be ways to activate the formation of new meristematic tissue with plant growth regulators, in  my situation as well?

InvisibleKhepri
Gipelffurt
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #26858700 - 08/02/20 01:38 PM (6 days, 9 hours ago)

Can someone help me to get this guy to root? I degrafted it over a year ago and not a single root popped. I did one identically and it is doing well. I have a mixture of minerals and sand below limestone gravel and use the small glass dish to bottom water every month or two. I wonder if it is because it's a twin and they need to be seperated? I really dont want to it popped out of the seed that way.

Edited by Khepri (08/02/20 01:43 PM)

Invisiblepsi
TOAST N' JAM
Male User Gallery

#26858730 - 08/02/20 01:52 PM (6 days, 9 hours ago)

Quote:

Solipsis said:
There are ways in tissue culture to make callus cultures, possibly with like 2,4-D. Might there be ways to activate the formation of new meristematic tissue with plant growth regulators, in  my situation as well?

The two major classes of plant hormones are auxins and cytokinins. Auxins inhibit shoot growth and promote root growth, and cytokinins do the opposite. 2,4-D is an auxin apparently. 6-BAP is cytokinin that is readily available on auction sites. Used both in TC and in vivo (e.g. on cactus areoles to induce pupping). Only water soluble at a basic pH. Or you can use a non-polar carrier like lanolin for surface application.

Jump to top. Pages: < First | < Back | 808 | 809 | 810 | 811 | 812 | 813 | 814 | 815 | 816 | 817 | 818 | 819 | 820 | 821 | 822 | 823 | 824 | 825 | 826 | 827 | 828 | Next >

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Perlite, pH Test Strips, San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden