Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Laminar Flow Hood, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleChibboleth
sour rot - cake lost?
    #1264508 - 01/31/03 07:24 AM (14 years, 25 days ago)

One of the cakes in this batch of mine came down with a case of sour rot. Like, definite, no doubt amout it smelly bacillus. However, just as a learning experience I took the cake out, removed the infected substrate with a sterile knife, and split the cake in half. What I got was this:

As you can see, once I removed the horrible-smelling glop and split the cake, I discovered that it was almost totally colonized, inside and out. Is there a possibility that this cake can continue to grow and fruit? Can I attempt to continue cultivating it, or do I have to throw it out? I did not perform this surgery under a flow hood, but the conditions were still fairly good.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecomario2
amateur

Loc: between places
Re: sour rot - cake lost? [Re: Chibboleth]
    #1264569 - 01/31/03 07:44 AM (14 years, 25 days ago)

i would try submerging the cake in water w peroxide or bleech, for 12-24 hrs

--------------------
comario

"crusaders against emotional poverty"

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
    #1264628 - 01/31/03 08:03 AM (14 years, 25 days ago)

This is a cake about 3/4" thick from a jar almost completly filled with sour.Cake was removed and dunked in peroxide for 20min then set in a bowl of wet verm in my office at 75F about a week ago. LOL look at the pins!Peroxide took care of the sour smell and the baby cake is a fruiting away :wink:WR

PS I probably will not eat the shrooms that grow from that cake though just on general principles.Good enough for spores though! :wink:

--------------------
To old for this place

Edited by whiterasta (01/31/03 08:14 AM)

InvisibleChibboleth
Re: sour rot - cake lost? [Re: whiterasta]
    #1264695 - 01/31/03 08:24 AM (14 years, 25 days ago)

Did a short dunk in peroxide, and the cake is now back in its jar in the incubator - the wedge-shaped space left by the removed infection has been packed full of vermiculite.

OfflineKrasHnBurnZ
enthusiast

Loc: USA
    #1265981 - 01/31/03 03:29 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

why did you Put back into the jar and back into the Incubator?Isnt that just breading grounds for the Contams to grow back? I would cut the cake in half, and birth both halves.

InvisibleChibboleth
Re: sour rot - cake lost? [Re: KrasHnBurnZ]
    #1268090 - 02/01/03 01:45 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Basically because I want to birth it at the same time as a couple of other cakes, and I don't think there's any more danger of contams in the incubator than there is in the fruiting chamber. I'm hoping that the mycelium will grow back enough over the next day or so that the cake will become more or less one piece instead of two, but I sort of doubt that'll actually happen

OfflineValossa
Stranger

Re: sour rot - cake lost? [Re: whiterasta]
    #14680350 - 06/27/11 04:25 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

The past 5 times Ive tried to inoculate BRF, the jars just sat there looking wet. Thought we had too much moisture content, but it turns out its a bacterial infection. I had no clue what was going wrong, so we changed the water ratio and saw some improvements. If this is happening to you where normally you've been successful, try getting back to the simple basics and make sure everything you're using is clean and pure. We boiled the jars and rings,(not rubber lined lids) for 90mins and after used a water&bleach solution for 20mins. Make sure sterility is not compromised or you'll be wasting time, materials, and effort. Bacillus can survive prolonged periods of heat, so the boiling as well as the bleach should take care of it. There are many people on this site that had luck in the beginning, but bottomed out in the end, and we think this should cover it. Pay attention to the details, friends, and you'll do alright!  Happy mushin!

I would never eat anything that grew off a contam. cake either; way too risky. No trip is worth damaging yourself, and on shrooms, it can be in the worst way.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Laminar Flow Hood, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum