Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineThe Vapor
Lost In A Tea Daze

Loc: Misty Mountains, B.C. Flag
Poppy Question
    #12639850 - 05/27/10 04:41 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I have some poppies growing in my backyard unintentionally, and I was wondering if they are a papaver somniferum variety.

I doubt they are because the stems, leaves, and pods are hairy. They also haven't flowered yet so I have no idea of what their flowers look like.

If a poppy was an opium poppy, it would have a whitish tint to the leaves and the pods right?

Any tips in general for identifying opium poppies would be appreciated.

Thanks.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleKBG1977
Re: Poppy Question [Re: The Vapor]
    #12640049 - 05/27/10 05:07 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Pictures:grin:

OfflineThe Vapor
Lost In A Tea Daze

Re: Poppy Question [Re: KBG1977]
    #12640416 - 05/27/10 05:59 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

They haven't flowered yet like I mentioned, but if pictures will help then here you go:

Thanks!

--------------------

OfflineThe Vapor
Lost In A Tea Daze

#12640971 - 05/27/10 07:44 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Could these poppies possibly be Papaver somniferum Glabrum, because they are hairy?

--------------------

InvisibleKBG1977
    #12641444 - 05/27/10 08:43 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Sorry Buddy,those are Shirley poppies.They are a Beautiful species though:grin:

OfflineThe Vapor
Lost In A Tea Daze

#12641527 - 05/27/10 08:51 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the ID, and the quick responses. I guess ill just work with these until I can order some other poppies.

--------------------

InvisibleKBG1977
    #12642982 - 05/28/10 12:22 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah,you just post some pics when the flowers open for us:grin:

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Estonia Flag
    #12643060 - 05/28/10 12:43 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Sorry but those are not Shirley poppies(Papaver rhoeas)at all they are Oriental poppies or Papaver orientalis. Non-active but still nice. Unlike the somniferum they are perennials and come up every year without the need to plant by seed, they also spread quite a bit on their own. 

Cheers

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

InvisibleKBG1977
Re: Poppy Question [Re: StInvetroThomas]
    #12643824 - 05/28/10 06:56 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

yeah,I actually thought they could have been Papaver.orientale poppies as well,but I took a shot in that dark considering we haven't seen a flower yet.Oh,yeah,I see it now,and they are Orientale:grin:

Edited by KBG1977 (05/28/10 07:06 AM)

OfflineThe Vapor
Lost In A Tea Daze

#12646286 - 05/28/10 03:58 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

If I remember correctly they have red flowers.

--------------------

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery

#12648897 - 05/29/10 02:35 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Orientale are pretty easy to identify when you have seen many of them. They typically are quite low, bushy and very hairy all over, leaves, stems, pods everywhere. they also spread very nicely and you usually end up with quite a clump of them. Shirleys or Corn Poppies are somewhat similar to Opium Poppies and more closely related that Orientals. They are however smaller, the leaves are usually thinner and they are on average a little hairier albeit kind of prickly almost - the flower of the wild variety is almost always red. The pods are smaller than opium poppies, they are oblong and have a flat top. They are also annuals and are found usually growing in rye fields or at the side of the road in the countryside all over Europe. Of course seeds of different varieties and colour variations can be purchased to grow in the garden.

Sorry for the long answer, many years ago I was a charter member over at poppies.org - it is a passion of mine.

Cheers

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

OfflineThe Vapor
Lost In A Tea Daze

#12650894 - 05/29/10 02:10 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

No need to apologize for a long answer, lol.

Thanks for the help and I've just planted some poppy seeds that I had lying around the kitchen so I hope that goes well.

--------------------

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery

#12651090 - 05/29/10 02:56 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I see your location is Canada, I am from Canada but live in Europe now. It is actually too late to plant now. I would suggest waiting about two weeks then plant them. The reason for this is you'll end up with some ultra tiny poppies and pods. They start to bolt when they days get quite long... it is totally possible though to have a second or in your case first crop started just before the last half of the summer. I always get a few poppies that went to seed around midsummer that end up blooming in september.. even until october.

Hope that helps, just wait two weeks.

Cheers

--------------------
- Mr. Mushrooms

St Thomas

OfflineThe Vapor
Lost In A Tea Daze

#12651128 - 05/29/10 03:04 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I figured the weather was pretty good right now cause its been unusually cold on the west coast. It's been raining and cold, which I figured would be better than waiting til it gets hotter.

So wait until it gets hotter then, and then plant?

And how far down do the roots need? Cause I am working with pots right now cause my garden is full of tomatoes, beans, peas, rhubarb, and stuff like that.

--------------------

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery

#12653758 - 05/30/10 01:18 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Temperature-wise, yes it would be a good time to plant... but the daylight hours will affect them. Put the seeds in the fridge for a couple of weeks. You should then plant them 2 weeks before the 23rd of June. If it's too hot outside you could move them indoors during the day, but coastal BC should not ever get too hot for poppies would be my guess. In terms of planting depth, they like to be practically surface planted... they can be broadcast directly onto the soil, or slightly buried - but only a few milimetres. The deeper they are the longer they take to sprout., the only thing you will have to watch for with planting them in pots is fungus - maybe fungus gnats too. Make sure you sterilise the soil first.

Cheeers

--------------------
- Mr. Mushrooms

St Thomas

OfflineThe Vapor
Lost In A Tea Daze

#12655016 - 05/30/10 10:43 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I wasn't concerned about how deep to sow the seeds, I was wondering more about how deep the roots of the mature plant will need to go?

Thanks.

--------------------

Invisiblekarode13Facebook
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
    #12658370 - 05/30/10 10:29 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Poppies have a fairly long taproot but the majority of the roots are fine feeding roots that stay around the surface. The taproot I found out does like a bit of room to anchor itself so aim for a fairly deep pot. The plant wont die if it hasn't the room, it tends to just put out smaller flowers and limits growth. I aim for pots that are around knee height for putting poppies in.

--------------------

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery

Re: Poppy Question [Re: karode13]
    #12659290 - 05/31/10 03:07 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Although I do agree with you that poppies have a fairly deep tap root and just a bunch of really fine roots, I think that a knee height pot will be a but overkill. I have grown them in regular plastic window boxes... even indoors, and they were no more than eight inches tall. I don't think I have seen a poppy root grow over six inches - could be wrong, I actually have a bunch of roots left over from tea - need to check.

--------------------
- Mr. Mushrooms

St Thomas

Invisiblekarode13Facebook
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
    #12659325 - 05/31/10 03:29 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I just used the knee height analogy as a reference point. No need to be overly specific because they are just poppies and like you have stated, can grow in all types of containers. A large pot is preferred though if you cannot put them in the ground.

--------------------

OfflineThe Vapor
Lost In A Tea Daze

Re: Poppy Question [Re: karode13]
    #12661698 - 05/31/10 04:17 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for all the help. I'm going to plant three more pots worth of poppies on the 9th to go with the two pots I have now.

Hopefully it works out.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies