Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTheReckoning
:)
Monotub won't fruit, polyfil too tight?
    #12625193 - 05/25/10 10:09 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I've had a fully colonized monotub going for about about 9 days now, and I have yet to see any pinning. My hygrometer reads 94% at all times, and I have a fan running in the room almost 24/7.

Could my polyfil be too tight, preventing sufficient fresh air exchange?
I'll provide pics tonight.

--------------------
A scapegoat, for all your insecurities. Excuse me; a hero; a man made god; for all your insecurities - Remembering Never

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Monotub won't fruit, polyfil too tight? [Re: TheReckoning]
    #12625220 - 05/25/10 10:14 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Maybe. What's your lighting like?

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Offlinejoshisstoned
Motorcycle Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Loc: Ohio
Re: Monotub won't fruit, polyfil too tight? [Re: Doc_T]
    #12625233 - 05/25/10 10:16 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

if its over colonized then it could be what is called "overlay". where the mycelium has bunched and needs loosened. but i doubt thats it. ive had some take two weeks to fruit.

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Monotub won't fruit, polyfil too tight? [Re: joshisstoned]
    #12625241 - 05/25/10 10:19 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

joshisstoned said:

"overlay".

Incredibly unlikely in a monotub.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineTheReckoning
Re: Monotub won't fruit, polyfil too tight? [Re: joshisstoned]
    #12625256 - 05/25/10 10:23 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I don't think it's overlay, the mycelium looks very consistent and healthy imo.

As for my lighting, I just have four 2" holes on the top of the lid letting natural light in. Should I add more holes, and maybe add some sort of artificial lighting?

--------------------
A scapegoat, for all your insecurities. Excuse me; a hero; a man made god; for all your insecurities - Remembering Never

OfflineSoulJah2
Columbus of the inner globe
 User Gallery

#12625269 - 05/25/10 10:28 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

eh you don't even need light for it to pin.  light just gives the shrooms direction to grow really.
if you are fanning your air exchange should be fine
Ive also had mono tubs take up to two weeks to pin..  perhaps cold shock it if you want but id just wait. Ive found that these things don't work on much of a time schedule sometimes and just do what they want

if you have no contams your good just be patient.

--------------------
That's not pretty cool.

OfflineImmunity
 User Gallery

Loc: north bay
Re: Monotub won't fruit, polyfil too tight? [Re: SoulJah2]
    #12625818 - 05/25/10 12:49 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I don't think it's good advice to underestimate the importance of lighting as a pinning trigger. And I don't think anyone has much stock in cold shocking anything anymore, I feel that idea has been debunked for some time now.

Invisibledancefloordale
Research Assistant

Re: Monotub won't fruit, polyfil too tight? [Re: Immunity]
    #12626581 - 05/25/10 03:24 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Lots of bright light (in the right spectrum of course) and lots of fresh air exchange  are what you need.

Are you misting/fanning your tub at all? If not I would recommend it.

You need light. Period.

--------------------
Everything posted by the user dancefloordale, aside from what is written in this here clause is completely and utterly fictitious, despite any information read (or seen), above (or below) that might lead you to believe otherwise.

Hydra Tek - A detailed guide, for newest to the most skilled cultivators.

HCA

Bulk growing made easy-discussion
Bulk Growing Made Easy

Invisiblegus330
Stranger
Male

Loc: south Flag
Re: Monotub won't fruit, polyfil too tight? [Re: dancefloordale]
    #12626676 - 05/25/10 03:37 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

once I put mine into fruiting conditions I take all the poly fill out at the top and mist ass needed to keep humidity up but thats just me never a problum

--------------------
favorite links

OfflineTheReckoning
Re: Monotub won't fruit, polyfil too tight? [Re: gus330]
    #12627858 - 05/25/10 06:49 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I have been misting and fanning a few times a day. There is light, just not a direct source. Will any light help in this case, say a desk lamp?

Here is a picture of my setup, let me know what you think.

And the colonized substrate, a little excess moisture beads, any opinions?

--------------------

InvisibleInterrobang
Observer
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #12627890 - 05/25/10 06:53 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

It looks good to me. As far as the lid situation goes, have you considered cutting out a large rectangle in the middle and adding clear tape to both sides? That's what I did with my tubs and they work great.

--------------------
"Soon after falling into a deeper psychedelic state to escape the prison of our reality, our hero becomes trapped in his own peaceful place which immediately becomes his sanctuary. A place filled with his wildest dreams. This is his new home." -KiD CuDi

Invisiblewygram
Myconaut

Trusted Cultivator
    #12627942 - 05/25/10 07:02 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I would remove the polyfill or add more holes if you are going to leave it in, since fresh air and the resulting moisture cycle between evaporation and misting is a major pinning trigger.

Quote:

TheReckoning said:
There is light, just not a direct source. Will any light help in this case, say a desk lamp?

Bright light could be just what this needs to get jump started. You want a fluorescent lamp in the 6500k spectrum (daylight).

--------------------
Changing your mind is one of the best ways of finding out whether or not you still have one.

Invisiblemister
Nature nut
 User Gallery

#12628183 - 05/25/10 07:39 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

TheReckoning said:
I have been misting and fanning a few times a day. There is light, just not a direct source. Will any light help in this case, say a desk lamp?

Here is a picture of my setup, let me know what you think.

And the colonized substrate, a little excess moisture beads, any opinions?

First, patience is needed. PE can take a month to pin, mine has done this. Second. Leave the tub alone. Leave the lid shut and let it do it's thing.

--------------------

:mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow:AMU Q & A thread:mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Monotub won't fruit, polyfil too tight? [Re: SoulJah2]
    #12628431 - 05/25/10 08:18 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

SoulJah2 said:
eh you don't even need light for it to pin.  light just gives the shrooms direction to grow really.

This is incorrect.  Light is a major pinning trigger, and is very necessary for a good pinset.  Light also doesn't tell them which way to grow.  Gravity does that.  Even in total darkness, the mushrooms that form will grow straight up, opposite gravity.  Mushrooms grow towards light because they're deriving energy from it.

To the original poster, take the polyfill out at full colonization.  Fresh air is the number one pinning trigger.  Get a 6500K fluorescent light and let it shine in through the sides of the terrarium.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblegus330
Stranger
Male

Loc: south Flag
Re: Monotub won't fruit, polyfil too tight? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #12628459 - 05/25/10 08:21 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

exactly
Quote:

RR
To the original poster, take the polyfill out at full colonization.  Fresh air is the number one pinning trigger

--------------------
favorite links

OfflineDharmatripper
Deceased

Loc: Over here
Re: Monotub won't fruit, polyfil too tight? [Re: mister]
    #12628506 - 05/25/10 08:28 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

As long as your humidty is undercontrol there's no such thing as too much FAE.  Loosen your polyfil.  I just recently did the same with a tub that hadn't even really knotted at 11 days.  After loosening, turning up my ceiling fan, and adding the occasionaly manual fanning I had great knotting within 24 hours and pins are on the way.  Although I think FAE is the more important of the two, I'm a big fan of 6500 temp lighting with as many lumens is as reasonable too.  I have four ninety watt lights over my FC table and it works well. 

That said, sometimes I've waited well over two weeks for pins with MS.  I just started my first PE jars so I can't say from experience but they're notorious for taking forever (but worth the wait I hear).

Your tub looks great--I think good things are coming.

--------------------
This is not me...

OfflineDharmatripper
Deceased

Loc: Over here
Re: Monotub won't fruit, polyfil too tight? [Re: Dharmatripper]
    #12628528 - 05/25/10 08:32 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Also, take a look at some of the posts RR has about using wax paper as a psuedo casing layer.  I'm just know giving it a go myself--bought wax paper today. 

I would keep a close eye on your humidity if you take your polyfill out in whole.  I use 2 inch holes in my tubs and with no poly my humidity plummets despite tenacious misting.  It all depends on your ambient RH and the size of your holes of course.

--------------------
This is not me...

OfflineSoulJah2
Columbus of the inner globe
 User Gallery

Re: Monotub won't fruit, polyfil too tight? [Re: Dharmatripper]
    #12637565 - 05/27/10 10:28 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

apparently my knowledge is dated.  Last thing i knew was that mushrooms did not get energy from light as plants do. but used it for direction.  I've fruited many tubs without light. the only adverse effect seemed to be that they grew  down into the sides of the tub and all over the place rather then upright and pretty.  although i do remember that light in the blue spectrum seemed most effective. again i thought it was just for direction, considering fungus contain no chlorophyll nor do they gain nourishment through photosynthesis.

RR do you have any info you could perhaps PM me on the topic? If my knowledge is indeed dated i would like to become more current.

--------------------
That's not pretty cool.

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Monotub won't fruit, polyfil too tight? [Re: mister]
    #12637599 - 05/27/10 10:34 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

mister said:
First, patience is needed. PE can take a month to pin, mine has done this. Second. Leave the tub alone. Leave the lid shut and let it do it's thing.

Took the words right out of my mouth. PE is slow. That tub looks great. Just wait it out. I wouldn't even open it to mist it anymore.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineTheReckoning
Re: Monotub won't fruit, polyfil too tight? [Re: FooMan]
    #12640527 - 05/27/10 06:20 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the advice everyone, it has been really helpful! I decided to leave the polyfil in, but a lot looser. It wasn't maintaining humidity very well with no polyfil.

I even got some pins! Though they are really small and will wait for a few more before I snag some pics.

I took the advice of Interrobang and cut a large rectangle, then added clear packing tape to both sides. I also picked up a clamp lamp at Home Depot and a 6500K light bulb, so I have that running on it now. Here are some pics:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix