Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePatisotagami
Organism
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere Flag
The Psychedelic Experience (Leary) Audio?
    #12620311 - 05/24/10 02:00 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Has anyone ever tried making audio recordings of the readings in Leary's book (The Psychedelic Experience)? I'm tripping this weekend and after reading this book, it seems like an interesting idea... a good way to bring a trip back on track if the mind starts to get fearful.

--------------------
EVERYTHING IS EVERYTHING

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedarkczar
The Stage Whisperer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: The Psychedelic Experience (Leary) Audio? [Re: Patisotagami]
    #12620414 - 05/24/10 02:25 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
God is my designated driver.

OfflinePatisotagami
Organism
Male User Gallery

Re: The Psychedelic Experience (Leary) Audio? [Re: darkczar]
    #12620902 - 05/24/10 03:40 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

that didn't answer my question.. thanks for trying. if you read the book you would know what i mean.

--------------------
EVERYTHING IS EVERYTHING

OfflineDr.Myco87
Im a "Reader"
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of the greedy! Flag
    #12621113 - 05/24/10 04:21 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Good book, but over-rated in my eyes. Maybe it's because I'm from a younger generation that takes easily attainable information for granted, but I feel like I've read most of the book in other places, I probably have. Not to say it's not a good book to have on the shelf, but there are better reads about the psychedelic experience and the everything that goes along with it, including importance of set and setting, dosage, ways of staying on a positive path, and ways of getting out of thought loops and how to tell the beginnings of a trip going awry, just generally good info that if you look hard enough can be had on the net. Nothing is like having and holding a book though so... Don't if that helps.

Recommendations:

Tripping: An Anthology of True-Life Psychedelic Adventures  by Charles Hayes

Acid Dreams: The Complete Social History of LSD: The CIA, the Sixties, and Beyond by Martin A. Lee and Bruce Shlain

And of course
Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley

There's many, many more I could name, Erowid's library and Amazon are your friends, hehe. I find all kinds of stuff, and also have at least 100 books on my wish list at all times, lol. Just too much to read and too little time to do it in.

WOW, I'm an idiot, didn't see that you said audio version of the book? Even though it will be much easier to concentrate on audio instead of reading, it just isn't what you would want to be listening to I would think. If you want something to keep you positive on audio, just find either some good music, or meditative type tapes, or even simple drummings and chanting is really good for helping me along with my trips. If you want the info from The Psychedelic Experience, then you should just read it a FEW times, and I elaborate few times because that is how you will remember it during a trip, even reading it during a low dose trip will help to retain the info much more and therefore allow you to call on it at any point, causing a sort of subconscious way of dealing with the trip in the best manner. Good stuff to learn, but I don't think it should take somebody reading it to you in order to get it, not trying to sound mean. Reading is not only more fun than hearing somebody read it to you, but helps your brain perform, kinda giving it exercise, and helping you remember more and more with each time you read. Sorry for the mix up, and please don't take my comments in a negative way, and if I cam off sounding negative or mean, I'm sorry. Take care.

Doc'

--------------------
"I don’t do drugs. I am drugs."                -Salvador Dali

"I’ve never had a problem with drugs. I’ve had problems with the police."                                          -Keith Richards

"Reality is a crutch for people who can’t cope with drugs."                                          -Lily Tomlin

Edited by Dr.Myco87 (05/24/10 04:29 PM)

OfflineFry
Interior Crocodile Alligator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington State
Re: The Psychedelic Experience (Leary) Audio? [Re: Dr.Myco87]
    #12621753 - 05/24/10 06:26 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Dr.Myco87 said:
Good book, but over-rated in my eyes. Maybe it's because I'm from a younger generation that takes easily attainable information for granted, but I feel like I've read most of the book in other places, I probably have. Not to say it's not a good book to have on the shelf, but there are better reads about the psychedelic experience and the everything that goes along with it, including importance of set and setting, dosage, ways of staying on a positive path, and ways of getting out of thought loops and how to tell the beginnings of a trip going awry, just generally good info that if you look hard enough can be had on the net. Nothing is like having and holding a book though so... Don't if that helps.

WOW, I'm an idiot, didn't see that you said audio version of the book? Even though it will be much easier to concentrate on audio instead of reading, it just isn't what you would want to be listening to I would think. If you want something to keep you positive on audio, just find either some good music, or meditative type tapes, or even simple drummings and chanting is really good for helping me along with my trips. If you want the info from The Psychedelic Experience, then you should just read it a FEW times, and I elaborate few times because that is how you will remember it during a trip, even reading it during a low dose trip will help to retain the info much more and therefore allow you to call on it at any point, causing a sort of subconscious way of dealing with the trip in the best manner. Good stuff to learn, but I don't think it should take somebody reading it to you in order to get it, not trying to sound mean. Reading is not only more fun than hearing somebody read it to you, but helps your brain perform, kinda giving it exercise, and helping you remember more and more with each time you read. Sorry for the mix up, and please don't take my comments in a negative way, and if I cam off sounding negative or mean, I'm sorry. Take care.

Doc'

There are manuals out there that are more helpful for keeping a good state of mind, what to expect, etc. but Leary's book has emphasizes the spiritual aspect of the trip, and is all about personal growth, becoming a new person, etc. And that's why it stands the test of time.

I've never recorded myself, but when I feel that a friend is straying from the path during a strong trip, I will always read from the book, and I tend to read the last passage having to do with choosing your new identity every time.

People usually appreciate this and liken me to an angel or other powerfully good spiritual being when I do this, so obviously it brings good vibes. Once, I was told that I was similar to Charles Manson. Can't say anything about that one. :shrug:

--------------------
:peace::heartpump::shineon:

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Male

Loc: The Lot
    #12621846 - 05/24/10 06:47 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Patisotagami said:
Has anyone ever tried making audio recordings of the readings in Leary's book (The Psychedelic Experience)? I'm tripping this weekend and after reading this book, it seems like an interesting idea... a good way to bring a trip back on track if the mind starts to get fearful.

I think what Patisotagami is talking about is the reciting of the Bardo instructions in section IV of the book.  There are some pretty specific passages given that are based off of passages from the Tibetan Book of the Dead.  This section is not general tripping info or retelling of personal anecdotes.

To answer the OP, I can only say I have seen it available in a torrent over 6 years ago.  I don't know who was reading it.  You may want to contact Citadel Press to see if they are aware of anyone with audio rights to the material.

http://www.jacketflap.com/pubdetail.asp?pub=10427

Dr.Myco97  - Reading this text aloud is the point of it.  It is material that is meant to be heard while having an experience.  It is modeled after text that are read to dead/dying people to help them journey through the transition experiences a soul has.  While the verses would be available to study, even the people that hold the ceremonies and read to others will have someone read to them when it is their time.

--------------------

OfflinePatisotagami
Organism
Male User Gallery

Re: The Psychedelic Experience (Leary) Audio? [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #12622290 - 05/24/10 08:06 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

crayola and fry, thank you! exactly what i was talking about.

--------------------
EVERYTHING IS EVERYTHING

OfflineKon-nect-id
All Together

Loc: USA Flag
    #12622821 - 05/24/10 09:22 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I used to have the audio...but that was on my old comp...sry

Offlinegushtunkinflupped
#########

#12622889 - 05/24/10 09:35 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

This is all ya need
http://www.lancerules.com/terence/

But really i wouldn't rely too much on the idea that listening to anything will straighten out a trip thats turning south. Singin does work wonders though...

Usually breathing very calm and slow breathes and relaxing my mind is enough for me to let go and let whatever is happening play out and just BE. Bad trips usually mean intense psychological introspection; you confronting harsh realities that you need to deal with. Coming aware of parts of yourself and the universe that your mind filters out through experience. Its best to work with it and through it... Unless someone eats your heart while on mushrooms like that one guy in the news recently...not sure how to straighten out that one! :crazy2:

:mushroom2: :mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

--------------------

OfflineDr.Myco87
Im a "Reader"
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of the greedy! Flag
Re: The Psychedelic Experience (Leary) Audio? [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #12623609 - 05/24/10 11:24 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

CrayolaHalls said:
Quote:

Patisotagami said:

I think what Patisotagami is talking about is the reciting of the Bardo instructions in section IV of the book.  There are some pretty specific passages given that are based off of passages from the Tibetan Book of the Dead.  This section is not general tripping info or retelling of personal anecdotes.

To answer the OP, I can only say I have seen it available in a torrent over 6 years ago.  I don't know who was reading it.  You may want to contact Citadel Press to see if they are aware of anyone with audio rights to the material.

http://www.jacketflap.com/pubdetail.asp?pub=10427

Dr.Myco97  - Reading this text aloud is the point of it.  It is material that is meant to be heard while having an experience.  It is modeled after text that are read to dead/dying people to help them journey through the transition experiences a soul has.  While the verses would be available to study, even the people that hold the ceremonies and read to others will have someone read to them when it is their time.

Listen man, we're all different and you just have to except that we all have different ways of accomplishing things, even getting to the same place, just by going a different route. Here is a link to parts of the book,
http://www.lycaeum.org/books/books/psychedelic_experience/tibetan.html
didn't check and see if it had all of it, but it's in a couple sections, all of which are helpful, and can give a glance into the book to see if it's worth buying. It also says in the first section that if you are already having good experiences to basically "leave it alone". No need to fix what is not broken type of thing. It also says that it can be good to read some of the sections aloud to somebody if they're in or heading into a negative head-space. Hope this helps.

--------------------
"I don’t do drugs. I am drugs."                -Salvador Dali

"I’ve never had a problem with drugs. I’ve had problems with the police."                                          -Keith Richards

"Reality is a crutch for people who can’t cope with drugs."                                          -Lily Tomlin

Offline20 Year Taper
random vector
 User Gallery

#23120751 - 04/15/16 01:04 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Timothy Leary - The Psychedelic Experience (Audiobook,1966)

Sorry to bring this back, but I was searching, found this, and maybe someone in the future will as well!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract