Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineTeKHeAD009
Stranger
Greed
    #1262254 - 01/30/03 03:37 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I was at my local pool hall, not playing because of insufficient funds, and my girlfriend gave me a dollar to get a soda. As I approched the soda machine, and reached to feed it my dollar I noticed something. The word "GREED" was written in permanent marker atop the bill intake. It made me think who would deliberately go out of their way to write that there and why. It also made me stop and think for a moment if a dollar was really worth a 12oz can of carbonated sugar-water with some flavor. This happened a while back.

Recently I consumed some mushrooms and was at a Wal-Mart before they fully kicked in. I witnessed all these people running around to purchase all kinds of things with the money they get from their job. A job that they work at to make someone else more money then they themselves are getting. As I was being driven to a more home-like destination "The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony" was playing on the radio. The only lyrics I picked out was "Your a slave to money then you die" and that sent me off thinking. Most of my trip was centered around how much everyone in America is a slave to money, and how ridiculously gluttonous big-business companies are. How everyone strives to buy the biggest SUV or pickup, fastest sports or most comfortable luxury car, largest home decked out with the best furnishings and latest electronical gadgets.

I know this isnt ground-breaking or anything. Never-the-less, we're all a slave to money. Short of joining some commune or wierd cult, becomming Amish, or living in a grass hutt in the Amazon* what can I do about it? (*thanks  :tongue:)

I understand that everyone who wishes to live in a modern, technically-advanced society needs to participate, and I plan to. Since it wasnt my dollar, I slipped that washington in and got my girlfriends root beer. From now on I plan to draw the line a little closer to reasonable when paying for soda, or anything. Maybe it was the message on the soda machine, that song, the psychadelic mushrooms, or just my broke-college-ass that made me come to this conclusion; but I think I'll print out some lables with "GREED" on them and stick them around town. Maybe it will make others wonder and think as much as I did.   

Edited by TeKHeAD009 (01/31/03 07:13 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledee_N_ae
\/\/¡†¢h |-|øµ§³ ¢å†
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Shadow of Neptune
Re: Greed [Re: TeKHeAD009]
    #1262356 - 01/30/03 04:11 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Heh.. I used to tag "EVIL" on soda machines...

As for your question, "What can I do?"
Don't give in to greed.
Surround yourself with others who choose to live the same way.
If you're creative in any way, (edit DUH-just saw your sig... :blush:) do a piece of work reflecting your feelings about greed.
That's what I do. 

Edited by dee_N_ae (01/30/03 05:20 PM)

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #1262429 - 01/30/03 04:32 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

This is a good example of why drugs like mushrooms are illegal.

He took mushrooms, and realized that greed is bad.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Loose Enz - The Black Door

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #1262529 - 01/30/03 05:12 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

but I think I'll print out some lables with "GREED" on them and stick them around town. Maybe it will make others wonder and think as much as I did.

Why don't you print out some lables with "VANDALISM" on them? Then the owners of the soda machines will wonder why people who complain about higher prices take actions which increase the cost of doing business.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Offlinesoylent_green
The greatEnitsuj
Female

Loc: Ontario
    #1262547 - 01/30/03 05:18 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

yeah i really don't like money, i make lots, spend lots, but i don't like it. i do want to get away from money, live in some tropical palce, in a little grass hut....but to get there i need money....you need money for everything...and it's pretty sad

--------------------
What fun is it in Nirvana while other beings are suffering?

OfflineTeKHeAD009
Stranger
Re: Greed [Re: Evolving]
    #1262616 - 01/30/03 05:36 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

dee_N_ae: I call it Contemporary Advertisment.

evolving: The beauty of a self-adhesive one inch by one quarter inch label is that it can be removed by simply pulling thus NOT raising the cost of business. However, if I run out of inexpensive labels and dont feel like buying more I'll be sure to change my message to "vandalism" and use a permanent marker, spraypaint, or a sharp object to write, paint, or scratch it out on my target.  :smirk: 

Edited by TeKHeAD009 (01/30/03 06:00 PM)

OfflineTeKHeAD009
Stranger
    #1262653 - 01/30/03 05:48 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I think I'm just pissed cause everyone else is making it, and I dont see any in sight.
Being in college sucks and when I get out I'm gonna hit the ground running. I dont care whats in my way I'm gonna knock it down to get on top. Then fight tooth and nail to stay up there.

But, that way of thinking would probably be selfish and... *gulp* greedy.  :grin: 

Offlineminusrestraint
i came to BRINGTHE PAIN. andthe punch :D.

Loc: a star but i see you fine
    #1262661 - 01/30/03 05:51 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

what can you do? enjoy life itself. dont make the standards of a good life revolve around material and money. if the sky is beautiful, enjoy it. its free, and its a miracle. its beautiful. the night starry sky is more enjoyable than any product i could ever by. the only problem is music, and yet through the internet even that is passable. but to get to the net, you have to pay. they've almost effectively blocked us off from not centering our lives around money.

all i can say is...enjoy the little things. the ones you see everyday, and that dont cost anything. i can honestly say i have a better time sitting on a bench next to a lake in kickapoo state park than i would spending a fortune runnign around and partying.

--------------------
"is there a doctor in the house?
we like fuck that, nut sacks in yo mouth
lemme show you what a thug about
we can talk or we can slug it out"
-cisco kid

Invisibledee_N_ae
\/\/¡†¢h |-|øµ§³ ¢å†
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Shadow of Neptune
    #1262707 - 01/30/03 06:06 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I think I'm just pissed cause everyone else is making it, and I dont see any in sight.

But Everyone else isn't making it.

It's a daily struggle for those who make - "it" - their goal.

And once they have "it", it's not enough.
So they keep striving, climbing faster, getting manicures - anything to politely handshake their way to the top. All for that paycheck...

Only a few smart scavangers who got in on the game early own most of it, and they've pretty well picked its corpse dry while we're left to fight over the whithered scraps in hopes of being able to feed our greatest dreams.

Edited by dee_N_ae (01/30/03 06:10 PM)

OfflineMisterKite
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montreal, QC
Re: Greed [Re: soylent_green]
    #1262729 - 01/30/03 06:14 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

PLEASE!!!!!!!! EVERYONE READING THIS!!!!!!! DO NOT FEEL MONEY IS A NECESSITY!

Ok so it is. But I have heard of people that live off of 5 dollars a day, and enjoy life more than any other corporate lawyer or corrupt businessman ever do!!! There are VERY MANY ways to live a life not revolving around money but revolving around happiness and beauty!!! There are people out there who live like this and welcome others who wish the same with smiling faces and delicious watermelon! look at www.crimethinc.net , this "organization"(for lack of a better word) is the one who enlightened upon the fact that living up to others expectations, isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Probably everyone who visits that site is either liberated from money or trying to get there. Educate yourselves. Become free.

--------------------
"But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy."

OfflineTeKHeAD009
Stranger
Re: Greed [Re: minusrestraint]
    #1262730 - 01/30/03 06:14 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

That sounds like a plan. Enjoy life, the little things, and just be satisfied with what I have instead of worried about what (I) could/should/others have.

Now if only everyone else had the same way of thinking and we were only charged 50 cents for that can of soda.  :crazy:

I'm also pissed because after Dave Thomas died, Wendies started cutting their already thin slabs of meat even thinner! For what? To make another 1/8 of a cent for every 99 cent cheese burger they sell?   

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1263159 - 01/30/03 08:53 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

5 Shroom rating to you for your excellent post up there and inventing the word "electronical."

Right before you asked "what can I do about it?" lol I was already thinking of asking just that "Yes, but what can we do about it?" :wink: but cool you already hit it :smile:

Unfortunately.. I have no clue - I'd already been sewed into it pretty well before I even realized, and its hard to find a new perspective through all the scum.

I find it disappointing that we've completely changed our environment into some kind of virtual reality that most of us really don't like.

"Where's the fucking reset button on this thing?!"

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-
P.S. "Amazon"

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: South
    #1263508 - 01/30/03 11:00 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I used to write "You are not a slave" on any currency I got. Got that from the inside of a Rage Against the Machine album, but I thought it was very cool, and you never know, it may help someone realize something someday.

I know christianity isn't a popular religion here on the shroomery :smile: But nevertheless, it is a religion I belong to. But Im not your normal christian, well, not in your stereotypica terms at least :P I believe many different things from what most modern day christians  believe. But Anyway, I would like to give some advice, accept or don't, it's ok with me :smile:

One night, I was at Walmart picking up my fiance from work. I had to bum 5 dollars for gas money off of my mom. I was late to go get her, however, so I decided to try and make it to Wal-mart. Well I did, went in and got her, and walked back out to the car. On the way back, there was an old man out in the parking lot. He had a coat, and shoes and what not, but he didnt have many teeth, and you could tell his coat was older than me. He come up to me and asked if I could do him a favor. A little intimidated and somewhat scared (yes i know im a paranoid american), I said, well it depends on the favor. He proceeded to tell me that he had no home. And this night was the coldest one so far that year. He said he didnt know where to go, he had just rode the bus in from other town.  I didn't really know where to tell him to go, since homelessness isn't really a big problem in a medium sized town.  He said he was trying to get the money for a hotel room so he wouldnt have to stay out in the cold. I gave him my only 5 dollars, that was suppose to be gas money for the next 2 or so days, until my fiance got paid.  A tear fell from his eye, and he said God bless you. I said God bless you, and got in the car, and drove toward the homestead. On my way home, I started crying also (not a usualy for me, believe me). This poor man didn't even have a place to live... and here I was driving my car (tho it is old and I didnt buy it, im glad ive got it), and wearing the clothes that I think look good, regardless of price.... And I realize.. this is bullshit... this whole world is bullshit. Just like in fight club, you are not your possessions. I gained more from giving that man my last 5 dollars than I would have ever gotten with it otherwise. And I didnt care what he spent it on. Most people won't give homeless people money because they think they will just buy drugs/beer, wutever. I didn't care if he did. All I knew was his story, I accepted it to be true, and did what any good natured human should do.

And anyway, if anyone hear reads the Bible or whatever, it says to fortify yourself with gifts that you can take into God's kingdom (the afterlife if you will), for material possessions in this world are temporary, and when you die, they don't come with you. Now wether you are christian or not (by the way, i dont mean to sound like a bible thumper, i used to practice Goetia and Wicca and all kinds of things, so I'm not your average christian so to say), this can have a dramatic effect on your life. And Im sure most of you know the positive karma thing.. well let me tell you.... 2 weeks later I got a call from the local university saying that I had won their scholarship. If it wasn't for that, I wouldnt be able to go to college. And while I attribute it to a blessing from God, you could contribute it to positive karma, or whatever. It also says in the Bible ( Im not sure where, the other was in matthew,however) that what you give will be increased tenfold back to you. Well... since my scholarship is 500 dollars x 4 semesters, I got a lot better off then that.

If you want to help out, and want to stop this nation's (and worlds) intense greed, realize that making your money help others less fortunate, makes this world better in the long run. But don't give just because you think it will bring blessings to you, give because you love to help others :smile:.Jjust know trhat you have made a difference in someones life, and chances are, they will never forget you. And you''ll never forget them. That, my friends, is the best experience 5 dollars will get you :smile:

Edited by RoKiSdEaD (01/30/03 11:06 PM)

Anonymous

Re: Greed [Re: RoKiSdEaD]
    #1263617 - 01/30/03 11:47 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

That was beautiful!

God Bless you, RoKiSdEaD

OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Greed [Re: ]
    #1263650 - 01/30/03 11:59 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Haha, well thank you Mr_Mushrooms :smile: Same to you also :smile:

I didn't mean for it to sound so "made for tv movie"ish tho, if you know what I mean :smile:

OfflineKilljoy
TheHyperdimensionalSlug

#1263752 - 01/31/03 12:42 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Humans are the most self-concentric things in existence.
All they think about are themselves!
To the extent that if you were to ask one why they did something for someone else (expecting NOTHING in return mind you), they would tell you they do it because "it makes me feel good".

So you do 'nice' things so that you feel good, and you avoid doing something nasty because it makes you feel bad!

It's still selfish to the max...  Think about it! :shocked: 

OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Greed [Re: Killjoy]
    #1263822 - 01/31/03 01:15 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I dont think it would be considered selfish to give just because you love to give. You should give out of this goodness of your heart, because you care about your fellow brethren. I know this is very hard for most to comprehend, however, considering the current state in wich we live. If you give someone something because you want it to improve their life/current state of being (and yes this is possible) then its not being selfish. And if you enjoy the feeling you get afterwards (and honestly who doesnt?) then so be it. As long as that wasnt your intention for giving in the first place.

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#1264160 - 01/31/03 04:24 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

whats wrong with feeling good about it?

whenever someone asks me for money, i give them a few dollars, even if it's all i have at the time.
i dont care what they spend it on, regardless of who they are they need that money a shit load more than i do.

i do it because it makes me feel good inside. i never tell anyone i did it to make myself look good, but it is like a high, to offer your possessions to complete strangers with no material return in mind.
they get cash, you get warm fuzzy feelings... everybody wins, i dont have to be in the right 'mind state' for it... i'm not paranoid of selfishness anymore.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #1264668 - 01/31/03 08:12 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Beautiful post, Tekhead!

I can't add much else except for the obvious "I agree wholeheartedly" because you stated how I feel so well!  That song by The Verve, and that lyric in particular, is one of my all-time favorites!! 

I hate being a slave to the money, yet at the same time I love money so much because it buys me so many things that make me happy.  Like yesterday... I went to Wal-Mart and finally bought myself some new shoes!  No more shitty old Converse All Stars that don't insulate my feet worth shit and look like I took a walk through a swamp with them on!  But I could have never bought my awesome new shoes without money.

:crazy:

Someday I will have a beautiful house up in the middle of the woods and I will grow or hunt all my own food and have no need for money whatsoever.  That is my goal in life.

Once again, great post! :smile:

-RebelSteve 

--------------------
Namaste.

Offlineminusrestraint
i came to BRINGTHE PAIN. andthe punch :D.

Loc: a star but i see you fine
    #1264768 - 01/31/03 08:51 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

you deserve so many more than 5 shrooms. you deserve....10. and a hug.

--------------------
"is there a doctor in the house?
we like fuck that, nut sacks in yo mouth
lemme show you what a thug about
we can talk or we can slug it out"
-cisco kid

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology