Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Aquarium Heater, HEPA Filter, Paul Stamets, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibled1giPhux
Stranger
running a constant fan on fruiting chamber.. would it work?
    #1262072 - 01/30/03 02:41 PM (14 years, 29 days ago)

Im wondering if anyone has tried this, but mounting such small computer fans (in on one side, out on the other), that they could run it constantly that it would still keep up the temp and humidity inside their chamber? Is this possible, or what problems would it cause.

Right now a dog i know is making a fruting/incubating chamber out of a 40 gal tub, and then a smaller one made to fit into it perfectly with a 200 watt aquarium heater in the bottom. The problem is, he cant figure out how to get the right amount of air exchange. For the humidity the dog will be using a cool mist humidifier and garden hose.

Thanks to all who reply!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Loc: Galapagos
Re: running a constant fan on fruiting chamber.. would it work? [Re: d1giPhux]
    #1262078 - 01/30/03 02:43 PM (14 years, 29 days ago)

I think you'd rather have those fans on a timer. Keeping them on constantly may lower the rH a bit too much.

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

Invisibled1giPhux
Stranger
Re: running a constant fan on fruiting chamber.. would it work? [Re: Angry Mycologist]
    #1262093 - 01/30/03 02:48 PM (14 years, 29 days ago)

Well if i get a timer, how many times a day/ hour should i run it, and how long. I think i can either use two huge 120mm case computer fans, or smaller 60mm fans.

Also, should i cut like a HEPA filter and put it over the fan so that no contams get in too or what not? Would this be needed on the Output fan (fan blowing out)

Much love. Thanks.

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Loc: Galapagos
    #1262108 - 01/30/03 02:54 PM (14 years, 29 days ago)

I haven't used this method, but it seems to be different for everybody. If you decide to use this method I'd advise testing out your setup first. I don't see why the HEPA filter would be a bad idea.

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
    #1262110 - 01/30/03 02:54 PM (14 years, 29 days ago)

Your gonna have to play around with a timer so the humidity doesn't decrease.
I'd first try setting it up for 2 minutes every 3 or 4 hours...and then fiddle with it more.

And cover the holes with filter dics...then install the fans or you will bring contams into the fruiting chamber.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #1262115 - 01/30/03 02:56 PM (14 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

like a HEPA filter

emphasis on "like" since a true HEPA has a pretty high static pressure and would just have your comp fan spinning it's bearing. persoanlly, I would apply some sort of protection on the output (don't forget to occasionally sterilize thses filters with alcohol as the dust buildup is bad stuff) since in the event of the electricity going out or some other menas of fan failure you would have an open hole just sitting there.

Anonymous

Re: running a constant fan on fruiting chamber.. would it work? [Re: debianlinux]
    #1262160 - 01/30/03 03:06 PM (14 years, 29 days ago)

I have looked everywhere for a timer that doesnt just run for an hour on an hour off i need something more percise please will someone tell where i can get one home depot dont even have one

Invisibled1giPhux
Stranger
Re: running a constant fan on fruiting chamber.. would it work? [Re: fee]
    #1262184 - 01/30/03 03:14 PM (14 years, 29 days ago)

I needa find a good timer too.

Aight, where can i pick up some "filter disks"

Also what is the prob with using a real HEPA filter? I have a HEPA filter thing running in my room, its from sears or somethin, its just like a meshy type filter it takes that i could cut up, they come in like packs of 4 or somethin. Pretty cheap.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1262219 - 01/30/03 03:27 PM (14 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

what is the prob with using a real HEPA filter?

again, static pressure is too high. IOW the amount of pressure required to push/pull enough air through the filter is too much for a simple computer fan. read up on some threads concerning the building of a flowhood and you'll geta better picture of just how much CFM/SP IS required. there is the small possibility that the material you are referring to is a very low grade "hepa" and you might be able to get the most minute amount of air through it with a comp fan, doubtful tho. for this application the hepa would be overkill anyway, especially if you have a real HEPA running in that same room.

Invisibled1giPhux
Stranger
Re: running a constant fan on fruiting chamber.. would it work? [Re: debianlinux]
    #1262347 - 01/30/03 04:06 PM (14 years, 29 days ago)

How much are "real HEPA's"? Cause i actually have a HEPA and an Ionic air thing running in the same room, so by that logic, i got mad overkill haha =] and im lovin the fresh air!

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1262363 - 01/30/03 04:14 PM (14 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

How much are "real HEPA's"? Cause i actually have a HEPA and an Ionic air thing running in the same room, so by that logic, i got mad overkill haha =] and im lovin the fresh air! 

I'm assuming the "how much" is concerning SP and not $$. SP is subjective to the filter. try shopping around for some filters, also like i said, read the threads in AC about building flowhoods. this will give you some good links, some good info on SP, and excellent info on matching a blower to a filter. TMC has a bit of info but it is mostly just optimal CFM for a hood (which you would have to match your blower to your filter to achieve). the short answer to your question is variable with 1"SP being about the most common IME. I could tell you what SP is but that wouldn't be fun would it? :smile: homework is good for us all. your assignment: define SP. hint: it's one of those things like 1g of h20 = 1ml of h20, kinda.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Aquarium Heater, HEPA Filter, Paul Stamets, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation