Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
Stinky feet!
    #1253428 - 01/27/03 12:00 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

My casing has a slight stink like stinky feet. Is it a bacterial infection? It is inbetween flushes. Would spraying water and h202 on it help it recover? Will my casing survive? Thanks for any help!

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHamurabi
the babylonianleader..

Loc: Greece
Re: Stinky feet! [Re: sirreal]
    #1254625 - 01/28/03 06:18 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

better be safe than sorry. throw it out immediately if it smells stinky feet

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Re: Stinky feet! [Re: Hamurabi]
    #1255042 - 01/28/03 08:26 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Since last night it has cleared up some. I gave it alot more air. I'll just see what happens I suppose. Thanks.

--------------------
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

OfflineHamurabi
the babylonianleader..

#1255076 - 01/28/03 08:34 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

no problem. but if there will still be contam ypou MUST toss it!! even if you can't see the contam it can still be alive int here. if it still mells stinky feet after 1-2 days maxium just throw it away! it's bad for your health to have contams at the place you breather and live

Offlinesirreal
devoid
    #1255092 - 01/28/03 08:38 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

O.K. Its just a small casing anyway. If it is a bacterial infection that infects the shrooms would I be able to tell by looking at them? I know they can rot, but could the shrooms look healthy and still be dangerous?

--------------------
-----------

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

#1255349 - 01/28/03 10:07 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Please take a look at the Contamination Faqs. There is a link to it in the top post of this forum.

I would imagine that you have Bacillus which often smells like stinky feet. Pay particular attention to the part dealing with wet spot in the contamination faqs.

You would not be able to tell if the shrooms were infected by looking at them when dealing with bacteria and most other contams. Please use caution when you suspect a contamination. You can always start another batch.

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Re: Stinky feet! [Re: Karen]
    #1255484 - 01/28/03 10:48 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Thank you. I had read the faq but was a little confused because I saw no other signs. The smell has cleared up completely , but now there is a network of very fine white strands beginning to cover the surface. Cobweb mold? I read what the faq had to say about lowering humidity and stuff, could I also spray a weak solution of H202 over the casing? I am sorry for being tedious, I am just curious about extra measures. I will throw it out if you say so! :tongue:

--------------------
-----------

Offlinesirreal
devoid
    #1257253 - 01/29/03 01:06 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

This morning I awoke to find that the cobweb- like matter had disappeared. That smell is still gone.  Pins are developing nicely.  I am not very experienced at identifying the various molds, But based on pic. from the faq, I am pretty sure it was cobweb. I increased air exchange and it seemed to fix all my problems.

I accidently spilled some alcohol (90%) on a small part of my casing, but the myc. poked through overnight on that spot. hope it fruits.  :confused: 

--------------------
-----------

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

#1258454 - 01/29/03 10:12 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

It is difficult to determine if you did indeed have a contam with the limited information that you can provide.

I just suggest to watch it VERY carefully. If the smell returns then you should absolutely throw it away.

Please keep us updated on any problems that you incur. It may help us to determine if you have a contam or not more successfuly.

OfflineHamurabi
the babylonianleader..

#1260900 - 01/30/03 05:54 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

you shouldnt be too risky in mushroom growing. if you have clues that you have/had contams in your terr just throw out the cakes/casings! don't risk!
and yes,when you fight with bacteria or other contams it is very likely to see the shroom very healthy looking!! so watch out!!!
we want you alive!

Offlinesirreal
devoid
    #1261737 - 01/30/03 10:16 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

watch out!!!we want you alive!

Thank you!

I threw it out. It had become tainted with green mold. I am dissapointed. I thought it recovered and the pins were looking good! Then this green mold started turning everything soft and mushy. Oh well, I got other stuff going on.

I am a little scared though. I was pretty careful throughout. The only thing I can think of is That it came from the topsoil I used. It said sterilized on the bag, maybe I should have sterilized it any way, huh?

--------------------
-----------

Edited by sirreal (01/30/03 10:19 AM)

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

#1262308 - 01/30/03 01:52 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I'm glad you kept watching it carefully and through it out immediately at the sight of a contam. I had hesitated to say throw it out absolutely before because you had said it was only a slight smell that didn't last for more then a day or so and you saw no other indications. It was possible that it was just the smell of stale air or something similar.

You said that it was inbetween flushes but didn't indicate how many. If you have a casing around for long enough it will almost inevitably become contaminated because you are handling it to pick the mushrooms and such.

This usually happens for me around the 4th or 5th flush. The casing is pretty much spent at that point anyway so it isn't a great loss. Of course depending on the situation that you have your mushrooms growing in it might not happen at all. If you are cultivating in a room where other things may be going on, it probably will.

If the topsoil was fine long enough to have at least one flush then it is most likely fine. The contamination was probably introduced by you when harvesting.

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

#1262325 - 01/30/03 02:00 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I also want to say that I absolutely agree with Hamurabi. When you think you may have a contam you should toss them.

The only reason I didn't say that immediately was because I did think we needed a little more information to be sure. He said the smell was slight and from his followup posts it was only around for about a day without any other indications. Another day of observation or two would be a good idea in a case like this.

If he had said it was a strong smell or even a moderate smell then absoluetly toss it right away. If the smell lasted or if there were any other signs, that is definietly enough of an indication.

OfflineHamurabi
the babylonianleader..

#1263462 - 01/30/03 08:40 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

thank you Karen. Now SIrrean you must learn from your mistakes! think everything that you did and think,think,think to find your mistakes! now you can improve your growing skills! that's how we all go higher and higher in this hobby:-)
next time experiment with different things/methods and be improved!

Offlinesirreal
devoid
    #1264225 - 01/31/03 03:06 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

It was after my first flush, karen. Atleast I got a few mushies out of it.

You are right , hamurabi. Experience is the best teacher, if you think about your experiences!

I made it to wet after the first flush. I will not do that again!

Thanks guys.

--------------------
-----------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck