Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisible99BOOMERMAN
The Professional
Male

Loc: USA Flag
MONO-TUB TRASH BAG LINER..............MADE EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! * 8
    #12609698 - 05/22/10 01:18 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I'm sure we all have used the black trash bag liner to deter side pinning, as well as to let the condensation drop-lets to glide down and away from our substrates, other wise causing pooling on the surface.
  The problem is getting the bag to form to the shape of the tub.The other problem is once you have the bulk substrate in the tub, and the spawn mixed in, trying to cut the bag ,........especially the corners(major pain in the ass, no matter what tool is used), it is a confined space.Even if you wait until the mono-tub is fully colonized before you cut the excess bag, then you risk damaging the mycelium, pins or cracking the substrate corners while pulling on the trash bag liner in order to make the cuts.I have used a wide variety of tools, from scissors of all sizes, to Exacto knives, even a box cuter, and still had issues when it came to the corners.

Just give this a shot, and see if you ever do a liner for a mono tub any other way ever again.

HERE IS THE EASIEST WAY.....INGENIOUS REALLY!!!!!!

Flip your tub over with the opening facing down and the bottom facing up.Then place the bag over it. Crimp it down by taping it at the corners until it forms the shape or the tub.Then figure out how many inches your sub will be, and cut all the way around. Now flip tub right side up and drop in your preformed liner.Then place a few small pieces of tape from the bag to the inside of tub to keep it in place.
  This is what I figured out after many ball breaking times of trying to get the corners cut.Major pain in the ass.Just shredding the trash bag.

Now you can just drop in the bulk, add the spawn, then mix and seal for colonization.
  Don't forget to wipe down both the inside of the tub, as well as both sides of the liner as usual.

--------------------
Anything posted in this thread is just some well thought out bull-shit,which is completely for entertainment purposes only.

AMU      "Q&A's  Thread"

INGENIOUS MONO TUB LINER

Edited by 99BOOMERMAN (05/29/11 02:05 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegnarfbuckle
Above The Ignorance
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Michigan
Re: MONO-TUB TRASH BAG LINER..............MADE EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: 99BOOMERMAN] * 1
    #12609761 - 05/22/10 01:30 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

simple. effective.

gotta love it.  :cactuarrun:

Invisible99BOOMERMAN
The Professional
Male

Re: MONO-TUB TRASH BAG LINER..............MADE EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: gnarfbuckle] * 1
    #12609764 - 05/22/10 01:31 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
Anything posted in this thread is just some well thought out bull-shit,which is completely for entertainment purposes only.

AMU      "Q&A's  Thread"

INGENIOUS MONO TUB LINER

OfflineGanjabonga
Chief
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: MONO-TUB TRASH BAG LINER..............MADE EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: 99BOOMERMAN] * 1
    #12609777 - 05/22/10 01:34 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Just put the bag in your tub, tape over holes, press liner against the tape over holes, (keeps it in place obviously) and dump that shit in. Than cut excess away with a razor. It is kinda crazy how many people have issues with this step.

And for everyone who think the liner is there to prevent side pinning, although it will help slightly,it is there to cling to the substrate so water can seep down between the tub and the liner instead of down the tub and onto the substrate. It is to reduce pooling.

Invisible99BOOMERMAN
The Professional
Male

Re: MONO-TUB TRASH BAG LINER..............MADE EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Ganjabonga] * 1
    #12609829 - 05/22/10 01:44 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Ganjabonga said:
Just put the bag in your tub, tape over holes, press liner against the tape over holes, (keeps it in place obviously) and dump that shit in. Than cut excess away with a razor. It is kinda crazy how many people have issues with this step.

And for everyone who think the liner is there to prevent side pinning, although it will help slightly,it is there to cling to the substrate so water can seep down between the tub and the liner instead of down the tub and onto the substrate. It is to reduce pooling.

It is for both, it was originally for the pinning , but found to have added benefits.You may have issues in other areas where others may not, and vise verse.
And BTW, the way you do it is how most of us "do" , do it(tape it).:wink:

--------------------

AMU      "Q&A's  Thread"

INGENIOUS MONO TUB LINER

OfflineDharmatripper
Deceased

Loc: Over here
    #12609841 - 05/22/10 01:47 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Well, now its official  :thumbup:

--------------------
This is not me...

Invisiblebadman
Male User Gallery

Re: MONO-TUB TRASH BAG LINER..............MADE EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Dharmatripper] * 1
    #12609967 - 05/22/10 02:19 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

This gets two thumbs up standardly.

OfflineJohnnybones
Sir
Male

#12610189 - 05/22/10 03:16 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinescifi5001
Deranger
 User Gallery

Loc: fi
Re: MONO-TUB TRASH BAG LINER..............MADE EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Johnnybones] * 1
    #12614815 - 05/23/10 03:47 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Sounds good!
I usually just split open the trash bag and place it centered on my tub with plenty of excess bag around the edges, then dump the sub on it and cut the bag with scissors.

--------------------
Nothing lasts, nothing is lost.

Offlinelinkin17222
Stranger

Re: MONO-TUB TRASH BAG LINER..............MADE EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: scifi5001] * 1
    #12614820 - 05/23/10 03:48 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

scifi5001 said:
Sounds good!
I usually just split open the trash bag and place it centered on my tub with plenty of excess bag around the edges, then dump the sub on it and cut the bag with scissors.

hahaha did you read the op?

Offlinescifi5001
Deranger
 User Gallery

Loc: fi
Re: MONO-TUB TRASH BAG LINER..............MADE EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: linkin17222] * 1
    #12625845 - 05/25/10 12:52 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, did you?

--------------------
Nothing lasts, nothing is lost.

OfflineVoodoo486
Homie
Male User Gallery

#12853953 - 07/05/10 09:47 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I realize this thread is a month old, but I think I have more efficient way of doing this, using a template.

Use the method the OP mentioned (of cutting the bag using the shape of the flipped-over tub) or put a bag in the tub normally, without spawn, and cut it to the size you want.

Now take the cut bag and put it on top of a large piece of newspaper. Cut around the outline of the bag. Now you have a decent template.

For all your future tubs take the newspaper, put it over an uncut trashbag, cut away, and your done. You can even cut 2,3,5,10 bags in one pass.

--------------------

That voodoo that shrooms do...

OfflineNanoid
See lost a seat You bend this
Male

Re: MONO-TUB TRASH BAG LINER..............MADE EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Voodoo486] * 1
    #12854144 - 07/05/10 10:23 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Hmm, not bad.  Although to clear something up, it doesn't matter what color the bag is.  It is NOT there to guard from light.  Light doesn't cause side pinning, FAE does.  The bag is to prevent fresh air from reaching the sides once the substrate shrinks from colonization.  Because the bags purpose is to basically hold onto the substrate keeping that seal so it is not exposed to fresh air.

What a lot don't seem to realize is that any light on any part of the substrate will tell the entire network of mycelium to start pinning (provided it has the proper FAE and other requirements).  So dark trash bag or not, if there is FAE in between those cracks, even without any light directly on the side it will side pin.

--------------------

OfflineMad_Hatter2004
Surfista Amigo
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in teh Northern... Flag
Re: MONO-TUB TRASH BAG LINER..............MADE EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Nanoid] * 1
    #12855389 - 07/06/10 07:54 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Damn,wish I would have seen this thread a few days ago...oh well,next monotub I'll definitely be placing the liner in this way.

:thumbup::thumbup:

--------------------
7 days without waves makes one weak!

Offlinetalkingwalnut
Stranger

Re: MONO-TUB TRASH BAG LINER..............MADE EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Mad_Hatter2004] * 1
    #12855554 - 07/06/10 09:01 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I hated cutting the bag I found to leave the bag alone and once the tubs colonized I cut it.

It really easy to cut when the substrate is solid

--------------------

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation is turned off.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: MONO-TUB TRASH BAG LINER..............MADE EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: talkingwalnut] * 1
    #12855681 - 07/06/10 09:50 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Good tip on how to cut and line your tubs with black plastic.
I am going to use your suggested method the next time I opt to line a tub with black plastic.

Quote:

99BOOMERMAN said:
especially the corners(major pain in the ass, no matter what tool is used), it is a confined space. I have used a wide variety of tools, from scissors of all sizes, to Exacto knives, even a box cuter, and still had issues when it came to the corners.

Ever seen one of these?

It is a plastic sheet cutter.
Used to cut what ever mil plastic sheeting.
Into, what ever size you want/need.

You insert the point below the the blade through the bag.
Then put your finger through the holes.
Pull towards you and BAM.

This tool cuts through plastic sheeting.
Like, a hot butter knife through a stick of butter.

I got this one at a local tool outlet supplier.

Check your local tool outlet supplier for this tool.
Also, check your local paint supplier outlet stores for these plastic sheet cutters.
HL

--------------------

How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Invisible99BOOMERMAN
The Professional
Male

Re: MONO-TUB TRASH BAG LINER..............MADE EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: hamloaf] * 1
    #12933932 - 07/22/10 03:08 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Ha, ha !!! Yes, I have seen these before. I used to have one, except it was much smaller, and the size and shape of a business card.
  I think it would cut well, but still probably a small snag at the corners if cutting inside the tub. With the type I used to have it may just work, even to cut a bag while inside the tub.
  Either way, good look'in HAM,.........my man.lol

--------------------

AMU      "Q&A's  Thread"

INGENIOUS MONO TUB LINER

Invisibleplurfekt
Finally Grateful

Loc: USA
    #12934573 - 07/22/10 09:23 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Learn something new everyday on the Shroomery!

I like both suggestions.  I admit putting the liner in my first mini-mono recently was somewhat of a pain and could probably be perfected, but I never really thought into it too much, and now I don't have too :wink:

I kinda figured the bag was for side pinning, out of common sense.  I learned a while ago that light has very little effect on the mycelium, when I started with PF cakes everyone was saying that light triggered pinning in the jars.  This, I learned quickly - was not true.. in fact they seem to colonize just as fast in the light.

I'll give it a try :thumbup:

:peace:

OfflineMM MT. McKenna
Curiosity
Re: MONO-TUB TRASH BAG LINER..............MADE EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: gnarfbuckle] * 1
    #27307014 - 05/13/21 12:29 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

NICE!!! WHY DIDNT I THINK OF THAT
GREAT TEK THAT'LL WORK THANKS

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix