Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Balloons, Cracker, Nitrous Oxide

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineAaladorn
 User Gallery

Loc: Texas
The Meaning of Life
    #1260449 - 01/30/03 04:26 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

This is the meaning of life as I see it. Disagree with it, agree with it; add to it, tear it down. Criticize it, or praise it. I don't care. Just try to understand what I'm trying to say. And understand that I'm not very articulate. I'm just trying to express my feelings the best that I can. So, here are my thoughts:

The meaning of life is not simple and simple, both at the same time. It can not be summed up in a single sentence.

The meaning of life cannot be found in the pursuit of finding the meaning of life. It must come to you. I believe it has come to me, and I will save you the difficult task of searching for it yourself, by sharing it with you.

The meaning of life is to live. The meaning of life is to be as happy as you can be, to witness as much beauty, and to create such beauty. The meaning of life is to be as good to others as you possibly can. To fight evil the best you can. And to love, not hate.

Everything in this universe is a contradiction. In order for there to be life, there must be death. For order; there must be chaos. For happiness, there must be unhappiness. For good, there must be evil. For light, there must be dark. Accept that in this universe of chaos, that there will always be those negative things, try not to let them overwhelm you, but try to change them to positive as much as you can.

Also, try not to be dissapointed by lives you know you could never lead, but just be happy with the one you receive, and try to make it as enjoyable as you can.

The meaning of life is not to worry about what the meaning of life is, and just live it while you can.

Edited by Aaladorn (01/30/03 04:27 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: The Meaning of Life [Re: Aaladorn]
    #1260489 - 01/30/03 04:43 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Hmm... First you say that the meaning of life cannot be summed up in one sentence, and then you say "The meaning of life is to live."

I think that just about sums it up! :grin:

I agree with almost everything you said, and I think it's good to remember that "everything in the universe is a contradiction," as you stated.  I like to look at it in terms of life, and the universe in general, being a balance of opposites. 
There could not be light without dark, nor could there be good without evil.  We must have a balance of opposing forces in the universe.  That is why I like the symbol of the yin yang so much!

The only part of what you said that I don't really agree with is this:

"The meaning of life is to be as good to others as you possibly can. To fight evil the best you can. And to love, not hate."

Based on what I said above, you can try to figure out why.

Good post!

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineAaladorn
 User Gallery

Loc: Texas
Re: The Meaning of Life [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1260502 - 01/30/03 04:54 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, I see what you mean. I guess it should be, "to love the good, and hate the evil." Thanks for the response, I really like your posts.

Edited by Aaladorn (01/30/03 04:57 AM)

Offlineamnesiaseizure
Mr
Male

Loc: Certainly not here.
    #1260536 - 01/30/03 05:12 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Has anyone read Will Self's 'The Quantity Theory of Insanity'? It goes that there's only ever a certain amount of insanity present in a social group at any one time. Therefore, if a load of people are acting crazy, another load will be acting totally sane. What if this is the case with good and evil. We know that they will always exist side by side so what if being evil merely facilitates others' propersity to act morally?

Keep evil in the hands of the responsible and allow the dumb to be angelical!!!!!!!

I mean, how can acting out the common good be the meaning of life? Surely it's simply a value judgement and a choice to be made and unmade...

This coming from a vegan who, obviously, has come to the conclusion that the reduction of unnecessary harm to others is a good way to go. Still wouldn't call it the meaning of life though. :wink:

Offlineamnesiaseizure
Mr
Male

Loc: Certainly not here.
    #1260539 - 01/30/03 05:14 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

oh dear.

maybe this means i'm merely putting an axe in the hands of another...

OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

#1260633 - 01/30/03 06:02 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I guess it should be, "to love the good, and hate the evil."

No, no, no. Love and hate also depend on each other. It should be: "Think that loving the good and hating the evil would be nice."

OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

Re: The Meaning of Life [Re: Nomad]
    #1260640 - 01/30/03 06:06 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

(And yes, that was fucking sarcasm. )

OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

#1260644 - 01/30/03 06:07 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

And RebelSteve, for heavens sake, drop that Ayn Rand book  :wink: 

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #1261056 - 01/30/03 08:58 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

:confused:

but why?  it's one of the best books i've ever had the pleasure of reading.  plus i'm only a couple chapters away from the end!!! :laugh:

i just wish more people were participating in the so-called "discussion."  :crazy:

/me shrugs.

-rebelsteve

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1261356 - 01/30/03 10:30 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I feel the closest thing to "meaning" or "purpose" that life has is to keep reproducing and keep spreading. Other than that, its all subjective :smile:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Edited by Strumpling (01/30/03 10:31 AM)

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1261839 - 01/30/03 12:58 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Ithink the meaning of life is to experience life and grow through those experiences.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #1261852 - 01/30/03 01:06 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Well said! I agree on all counts.

In my own words, the meaning of life is to live, to love.. to experience the wonder and beauty that is consciousness, to manifest our thoughts and dreams, to integrate negative experiences into tools of learning, to constantly strive to learn life through new experiences. Life is a cosmic school...but it is also a great big playground. Enjoy, have fun, and always laugh.

--------------------

OfflineDrubuShrume
EAT ME - I'm afungi

Loc: Right where I need to be
    #1261888 - 01/30/03 01:20 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I guess it should be, "to love the good, and hate the evil."\

How about "to love all that is living, and hate none." Love all that is living, because they are living in the same world you are. They may have a different reality, but accept that for each to have their own reality. For to hate is conceivable by me, but there is very little that I hate. Except the government, but thats not hate towards a fellow man that is hate towards a system of operation.

--------------------
AH HA....

OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
Loc: Electric Neverending
    #1261980 - 01/30/03 01:56 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I don't think this is the meaning of life, its too wordy. I have encountered enourmous outputs of energy and meaning before, and I guess I could describe it as a moment where the words just pile and pile up exponentially until they collapse under their own mass, and everything JUST IS....
Words words words....so feeble and insufficient to the infinite amazingness of sheer beingness...like thrown before you like a earth shattering explosion and a gut sucking implosion and the mind switching between these two extremes of EVERYTHING which then naturally negates itself out and a 'normal' state of conciousness is regained, until the ultimate beingness is once again realised... I agree with you guys on that one, and I also think that the yin yang is a very powerful symbol.
I think that the meaning of life is a state which can only be realised for small moments in our lives, because when in that state one is in such a extatic nirvana that they are rendered literally useless for funcitoning in the 'real world'....though I think that every time this realisation is reached, a little bit more of it can be brought back to ordinary conciousness....maybe one day I will be able to realise this infinity all the time and still be able to function as a being as well, who knows? Does anyone think you can grasp the meaning of life at any given moment, or permanently? Or do you think it is a state gained through mind excercises such as meditation or the use of psychedelic drugs, etc?
One thing I might drop in here for those of you reading this thread...if you haven't tried it already, I truly believe that Nitrous Oxide is THE MOST philosophical drug that I have tried, and it is especially effective if combined with another hallucinogen of some kind :wink: try it! Some people don't get the crazyness of it, just a buzz but man, the people that do get the 'meaning of life' high from it are changed forever! Ok so I am rambling, once again. And yes, this is wordy too :P

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #1262008 - 01/30/03 02:10 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

To experience ourselves as God by sheding our rememberance of knowing everything and starting from scratch?

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: Park Avenue Playground - The Trip

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
    #1262535 - 01/30/03 05:14 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

There is no meaning to life. I think a lot of people need there to be a reason to live. I don' think there is a greater 'purpose' for us as living organisms. We are simply here, existing in the universe.

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

InvisiblethePatient
Criminal Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: Indiana
    #1262740 - 01/30/03 06:18 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

the meaning of life can be sumed up by looking at a flower. And why shouldnt it be? Plants grow, just as humans. We both exist. We both fall under the category of Life.

Live. Grow. Expand. Evolve. - This is your meaning.

--------------------
T h e r e  a r e  n o  o r d i n a r y  m o m e n t s.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: The Meaning of Life [Re: thePatient]
    #1262866 - 01/30/03 07:10 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Live. Grow. Expand. Evolve. - This is your meaning.

Don't forget sex, procreation, the continuation of your genetic code... it's fun too.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Re: The Meaning of Life [Re: Evolving]
    #1262871 - 01/30/03 07:14 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

So basically... Live, Sex, Grow, Sex, Expand, Sex, Evolve, Sex

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: The Meaning of Life [Re: thePatient]
    #1263176 - 01/30/03 09:01 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

"the meaning of life can be sumed up by looking at a flower. And why shouldnt it be? Plants grow, just as humans. We both exist. We both fall under the category of Life."

If the meaning of life can be summed up by looking at a flower, then why aren't there just flowers?

lol you don't have to answer that hehehe I just couldn't resist

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop: Balloons, Cracker, Nitrous Oxide

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology