Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinecyanophilus
ectosporium

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Setting up a stealth woodland camp - survival foods/methods - living alone in the wild
    #12599457 - 05/20/10 04:58 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Often while mushroom hunting I will run into all kinds of encampments, some of them are extremely well built and hidden into the hillsides. They range from marijuana encampments to homeless huts to straight up wookie villages!

I have been thinking of making my own camp area in the woods somewhere, making it extremely hard to see or access. This would be somewhere I plan to stay for months at a time during the summer and somewhere I might spend weekends at occasionally the rest of the year.

I plan to dig a huge hole to fit my waterproof storage device full of camp supplies (stove, clean water, etc)
I am going to re-rout any animal trails in the area to throw off any possible hikers, and I am going to replant vegetation in favor of blocking off areas.
I will probably be setting up an enclosed area for a garden, fencing it with chicken wire or bamboo and growing various plants around it/on it.
I was thinking some solar powered pumps to get water from a creek or spring.
I'll be taking pics of a lot of the stuff im doing.

I have various other ideas that I would like to bounce around, but first I would like to know if anyone has ever done this or has any tips about it?
Pictures would be cool.

Edited by cyanophilus (06/11/10 10:33 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehidekie80
Male

Re: Setting up a stealth woodland camp [Re: cyanophilus]
    #12599540 - 05/20/10 05:11 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

i have a few friends that lived homeless near you in the san fransisco area for a while. they told me storys about how there friend had a hollowed out a giant tree log and made it into a bunker to sleep in.

they said they lived there for a while and it was out of the rain and they wouldnt get woken up by the police in the morning!

--------------------

Offlinecyanophilus
ectosporium

Re: Setting up a stealth woodland camp [Re: hidekie80]
    #12599708 - 05/20/10 05:38 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah I am most likely going to be using a hammock, and sleeping well out of reach from boars.

Haha that sounds pretty hobo. Don't get me wrong I have spent many nights under bridges and even in lawns/planter boxes/bushes.

I am talking about a rather live-able encampment, not just some hobo squat.
Stealth/earth friendly/useful ideas are what im looking for.

I'll be providing some cool pictures and ideas in this thread, I will be starting this project very soon.

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali, Contra Costa Co. Flag
    #12609850 - 05/22/10 01:49 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

awesome man im looking forward to seeing this develop.

--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix

Offlinefungus_tao
Hah Zah!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Setting up a stealth woodland camp [Re: sui]
    #12610205 - 05/22/10 03:20 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Dunno if you would be able to do something like this but just reminded me of something I experienced once. I was working on roofing a house in the mountains and didn't notice for 3 whole days that there was another house right next to the one I was working on. It was completely blended into the surroundings. The entire house's siding was dry stacked rock. The natural earth tones totally camouflaged an entire 2 story house. So much so that it went unnoticed by me and every one working on our crew for 3 days. Even when it was pointed out to me I was like "what where?" before noticing that it was right fucking in front of me.

--------------------
Follow the light
The Light is your guide.

InvisiblePoC
Relax
Male User Gallery

Re: Setting up a stealth woodland camp [Re: fungus_tao]
    #12610924 - 05/22/10 05:50 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Hey there :smile:  I just wanted to share this link with you about a building style that is environmentally friendly, low cost, and with sound design principles incorporated into it (wofati).  I don't know how useful you'll find this for your stealth purposes but just reading about the ideas behind the design might give you some things to consider when building a spot.

http://www.richsoil.com/wofati.jsp

--------------------

Offlinecyanophilus
ectosporium

Re: Setting up a stealth woodland camp [Re: PoC]
    #12611076 - 05/22/10 06:28 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah I have been looking at cob, hobbit holes, and various other alternative structures.
I am going to get a good all-season hammock and build an encampment. It doesn't necessarily need to be a house or a hole in the wall, although I like that log structure with the dirt and grass grown over it. I have 1 month to get ready, maybe 2 if im lucky. This isn't a matter of whether or not I will be able to do it, I will do it. I am going to have multiple places where I can safely store my bike from view and set up a hammock, and one main camp where I grow my food and store some valuables under the ground.

I don't want to be too noticeable to the pot eradication helicopters in the area, but I want a decent place to grow some various foods and not get fucked with/told to fuck off.

It's hard to find an area where there isn't 9 bajillion people and their fences. Sleeping on foot is one thing, I need an area where I can hide my motorcycle somewhere close inside a hollow stump or something while im snoozing as well. Luckily it's small (300 pounds) and not a huge tank, but that also makes it easy to steal/tow. Lots of thinking involved.

I found a few prime areas not too far from town with motorcycle access, right from a country road into wilderness that goes behind some trees and down a hill. Then I can just cover it with camo and branches and no one should even notice it. I found one area with a perfect hollow log but I might need to rig a path over to it. I'm having fun preparing for this! It's fun exploring around at 110mpg as well, especially when your broke as fuck! Finding all kinds of awesome mushroom habitat in the process.

Ok, less talk, this thread needs some pictures. Give me a while to get this going, but in the meantime I would love some ideas of any kind. I'm sure some of the stealth guerilla growers here know a thing or two about covering their tracks and keeping from view. Don't know if any of you have camped in a hammock alone in the wild yet though.

Edited by cyanophilus (06/11/10 10:34 PM)

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
    #12612558 - 05/23/10 01:30 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I can't help you but I'm interested to see how this develops!

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #12616691 - 05/23/10 09:49 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

cyanophilus said:
I want a decent place to grow some various foods and not get fucked with/told to fuck off.

you may want to think this through a little more, if it's privately owned
land, you can be killed or a the least, jailed. if it's public lands, you
could face prison time

OfflineMchaggis
cawbstawmper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 'Bama Ghost Country Flag
Re: Setting up a stealth woodland camp [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #12616744 - 05/23/10 09:55 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it once, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Re: Setting up a stealth woodland camp [Re: Mchaggis]
    #12617579 - 05/23/10 11:55 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

cool site!

--------------------

Jimi Hendrix

OfflineKamek
Male User Gallery

#12624530 - 05/25/10 05:41 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I've been on this other forum about DIY, survival etc. I'm sure you'd be able to find a bunch of information there as well. Especially if you'd start a thread there.

survivalist

InvisibleSquidface
Electroplated lobsterback
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Lincolnshire Flag
Re: Setting up a stealth woodland camp [Re: Kamek]
    #12626632 - 05/25/10 03:30 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Good luck with everything dude, it'll be real interesting to see how you do. I'm hoping to follow a similar path as soon as i can buy some land...

Offlinecyanophilus
ectosporium

#12648802 - 05/29/10 02:03 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Kamek said:
I've been on this other forum about DIY, survival etc. I'm sure you'd be able to find a bunch of information there as well. Especially if you'd start a thread there.

survivalist

You can't really see much without joining the forums, and did you read the terms of joining?

Quote:

22. Financial penalty - by registering on this forum, members agree to pay $10,000 US dollars for each violation of the forum rules and or Terms of Service.

that includes a wide list of very petty rules.

Fuck That!

Offlinecyanophilus
ectosporium

#12648923 - 05/29/10 02:47 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I'm going to use this post to organize some easy wild bug foods in case I am starving my ass off at any point. I actually have wanted to include insect protein as a source in my diet. Might be good information for others as well. I will add to this.

Easy crawly things to eat:
COOK ALL BUGS IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO HEAT

Earthworm
Can be washed, dried, then powdered and made into soups.
I have only eaten them raw before.

Ants!!!!
They need to be boiled first, for a good 10 minutes. This will break down the acids/toxins within them. After that they may be added to soups or eaten as is. Even bears eat ants!!!

Grasshoppers, Crickets, Locusts, and Termites can be found by the thousands!
Remove any wings, sharp legs, etc before eating as they are unpleasant.
They can be dried and then powdered and put into soups/made into meal.
Or, they can be roasted. Some people eat em raw, but some bugs like grasshoppers contain parasites and should be cooked well. Some people like to put them in a jar for 12 hours to "purge" their digestive tract prior to cooking.

Scorpions
Cut off the stinger/poison sack at the end of the tail and the rest is good to go. Can be roasted, dried and powdered, or eaten as is.
You can set traps by digging holes in the ground and placing #10 cans in them. At night, creatures such as scorpions will unsuspectingly fall inside.

Things that need some processing:

Snails
This usually requires fasting the snails first by keeping them in a pen. Clean/wash them well, and feed them fresh vegetables on a bed of wood shavings or sawdust. Clean their cage often so they stay clean, and keep their cage clean for the last few days to dry them out. You should do this for at least a week or two before eating them so that any toxins that they previously consumed are now through their system.
Once they have cleansed long enough, throw them in boiling water for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes they can be removed from the water, and then removed from their shell. Boil them again for 10-15 minutes, straining any foam that forms. Then season (butter, herbs, and garlic?) and eat.

Snakes!
Gopher, Rattlesnake, and Garder snakes are all plentiful. I have seen 6ft Gopher snakes, 2ft Garder, and 3ft Rattlesnakes in these parts. All are edible once gutted and skinned. The head must be removed first with a portion of neck and if its poisonous should be buried deep in the ground so that no accidents happen to an unsuspecting creature.
Can be cut into cubes and roasted.
Note: Garder snakes often eat toxic newts, of which a small bit of residue from can cause severe paralysis. A period of fasting may be required for them as well. The could be kept in a terrarium or bucket with breather holes and fed bugs until a week had passed.

Lizards

Lots of fence and alligator lizards around here, I am pretty sure they are all edible once gutted. They can be cooked in their skins until it splits.  Then they should be separated from the skins and boiled.

Squirrels/Rodents
Gut well, remove the head, burn the hair off, and cook WELL. Trichinella spiralis is not fun.

Edited by cyanophilus (06/11/10 10:39 PM)

Offlinecyanophilus
ectosporium

#12648973 - 05/29/10 03:20 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Some local edible plants:

Cleavers
Can be boiled and used as a pot herb. The seeds can be roasted and made into tea.

Blackberries
Can be eaten raw. Yum! I can fill a 5 gallon bucket with these in 20 minutes.

Thimbleberries
Can be eaten raw. Yum! Lots of these around. Very common as well.

Woodland Strawberries
I have seen these by the bucket-load as well. Can be eaten raw or dried, though they dramatically lose flavor once dry.

Huckleberries
Delicious raw! Can be dried but they lose flavor. Lots of these around as well.

Dock/Rumex sp.
Dock is edible and plentiful. Leafs are edible through spring/summer. Seeds can be pressed into crackers come fall.

Burdock root
The root can be cooked and eaten. Foliage/above-ground growth should be avoided.

Dandelion
All parts of the plant are edible, the root is strongly medicinal though and should probably be avoided for culinary use.
Young leafs and flower heads have the higest culinary value. Young leafs can be eaten raw in small amounts but should be cooked. Flower heads should be cooked. Can be made into soup or fried/roasted.

Redwood Sorrel
Edible once boiled to destroy the oxalic acid. Good as a pot herb made into soups or cooked like spinach.

Sourgrass
Edible raw in small doses or boiled and used as a pot herb/like spinach. Stems are the best to use.

Manzanita
The berries are edible when orange, and are actually really good. The only edible part is a powdery/mealy flesh between the skin and the seed cluster in the center. Berries can be mashed in water to extract the goodness, or processed orally.
Madrone is also in this family and has edible berries as well. Though they are usually richer in tannins and are better mashed into water to make a drink much like the manzanita berries.

California hazlenuts
Usually appear in the fall, they are best roasted in the shells but can be cracked and eaten as is. Hard to find one producing seeds but they are everywhere and every now and then you hit the jackpot.

OfflineHeffy
BrauMeister
 User Gallery

Loc: International Traveller
    #12659796 - 05/31/10 08:00 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

In high school a friend of mine made some really cool forts to hide from the security guard.:bongload:

The first fort was a big hole dug into the ground, then branches laid across, and then covered with a tarp, and recovered in dirt.

It was almost invisible to anyone who didn't know to look for it, as there was nothing to see but a small entrance. Once you went in there was sitting room for about 5 people, but from outside it just looked like a little door going into the side of the valley.

Eventually homeless people started living there, and we had to make a new fort.

--------------------
I am the king of Rome, and above grammar! - Emperor Sigismund

Offlinecyanophilus
ectosporium

Re: Setting up a stealth woodland camp [Re: Heffy]
    #12661018 - 05/31/10 01:51 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Sounds like a pretty efficient hobo trap. Hobos are high in nutrients. What cooking method did he use on them?

:lol:

OfflineKamek
Male User Gallery

#12661650 - 05/31/10 04:09 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

cyanophilus said:
Quote:

Kamek said:

survivalist

You can't really see much without joining the forums, and did you read the terms of joining?

Quote:

22. Financial penalty - by registering on this forum, members agree to pay $10,000 US dollars for each violation of the forum rules and or Terms of Service.

that includes a wide list of very petty rules.

Fuck That!

Didn't read that. That's crazy. Don't think they can enforce that kind of thing. Fucking rediculous. Still, I'm gonna stop using that board if only because they make up 'rules' like that. Fucking lunatics...
Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Would be cool if the Shroomery DIY, farming, general cultivation forums got more traffic so I could just stay here instead of having to go to other forums.

Offlinecyanophilus
ectosporium

#12688455 - 06/04/10 10:10 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I went deep into the woods last night at 2am with no knife and a very small flashlight. I sat on a rather big rock in the middle of the forest and turned off the light. I sat there with my eyes closed, listening to all the creatures of the night for over an hour. I resisted all urge to turn on the light and see what was moving. My only effort was destroying mosquitos. Lots of footsteps around me, sometimes creeping closer, sometimes from big animals. It's amazing when you can hear a large animal sniffing and breathing near you and you have no idea what it is. Feeling only the presence of life, that tickle of your spine that occurs with every ghost or creature encounter (or anytime the light goes out in the basement with you down there). Something is there, you are not alone. You may be in the hands of something much more king of the woods than you could ever dream. It's there and its happening. Breath.

Fuck, talk about mental preparation. I am going to be sleeping deep in the woods full-time come July 1st. This has to be happening at an accelerated pace. Scratch the motorcycle, it just became handicapped. Now ill be using a decent bicycle for transportation so my camp can be anywhere I can reasonably reach from town that has some good stealth ability.
Going to be doing a lot of exploring over the next week, and living by 2 wheels either way.

OfflineHeroin
Fullonrapist

#12794845 - 06/24/10 02:31 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

you're gonna be eaten by a mountain lion...

Offlinecyanophilus
ectosporium

Re: Setting up a stealth woodland camp [Re: Heroin]
    #12797064 - 06/24/10 02:19 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Probably not.
I saw 3 of them(3 separate cats) in the past 2 weeks.
All of them ran away from me at first sight.
I also won't be camping near their territory, which they mark by screaming like demons. Found one ridge in particular where they like to yell if you go anywhere near it, it sounds terrifying! They sure know how to make you wet yourself :P

If I am not carrying a 17" blade, I am carrying a bigger weapon than that.
I also wont be storing any meat with me.

I have ran from wild boars and have fought a few large dogs to the death when I was attacked in a neighborhood. I have come into contact with mountain lions and bobcats and boars and coyotes, I don't expect that I will have an issue with knowing what to do.

I have a couple decades of camping, hunting, trapping, tracking, foraging, fishing, survival, and DIY training as well.
I will be fine.

I am also close to finding a spot, only a few days left to look, but I have many spots marked out and ready to go.

Edited by cyanophilus (06/24/10 02:29 PM)

Offlineblindvomit
im burning one
Male

#12810112 - 06/26/10 10:26 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

so wtf is going on with this?

Offlinecyanophilus
ectosporium

Re: Setting up a stealth woodland camp [Re: blindvomit]
    #12812531 - 06/27/10 02:04 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

A lot. First of all my transportation has been halted for the most part. I won't be getting that back for another week or two. Lease ends wednesday so I will be camping in a tent until I get some more funds. I recently got a job so I have been spending most of my recent days working. This job thing happened too late so I still wont be able to afford housing even though I have a job. Doesn't help that I get paid minimum wage (can't make enough to stay constant in a house) and often work 7am 'til midnight which takes up my usable searching hours.

This is still going to happen whether I like it or not. I will still be eating bug/plant/crawfish stews and other weird nature/survival foods on a regular basis, and I will still be setting up a stealth camp even if I get a house to stay in temporarily. Housing is a reoccurring problem for me, I am going to need to rely on some sort of stealth camp for the next 10 years of my life as I work my way up through biochemistry and have a series of moneyless stages.

School is getting harder to complete unless you come from a wealthy family. I am the last of my immediate family in CA, the rest are in florida, I have nowhere to turn for a cheap place to crash for the night.

I live and strive for the fact that one day I may be able to reverse damage done to our water systems and further our knowledge of invertebrates and microorganisms to create a friendlier relationship between the many inhabitants of the many fractal branches of conciousness.

Soon enough this will all fall together like tetris. Whether I like it or not. That is life, and I must get to where I need to go.

Pictures will follow. Guaranteed.

OfflineHeroin
Fullonrapist

#12813670 - 06/27/10 06:05 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

You should build an awesome, huge tree house that you can eventually rent out for jacked-up prices.

Then you can just live in another wooded location by yourself and still make money. 

You'll also be able to make two tree houses, keep yourself busy for longer.

Offlinecyanophilus
ectosporium

Re: Setting up a stealth woodland camp [Re: Heroin]
    #12815323 - 06/27/10 11:09 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, building a huge tree fort using tons of expenses and time on public land in the middle of the forest and then illegally renting it out while I sleep somewhere else and risk many fines and jail time sounds brilliant.

No...really though. That is not a good idea unless I own the land and the building is up to code, otherwise I will be shitting pineapples when the city comes knockin'.

Offlinecyanophilus
ectosporium

#12837792 - 07/02/10 12:13 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

No roof tonight.

Offlinesmeagolwoof
Stranger
    #12949400 - 07/25/10 09:32 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Any news?

Offlinecyanophilus
ectosporium

Re: Setting up a stealth woodland camp [Re: smeagolwoof]
    #12953615 - 07/26/10 12:31 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I lost my heart and my interest to do anything.

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

#12954144 - 07/26/10 04:44 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

dont give up!

--------------------

Jimi Hendrix

Offlinesum0
Male User Gallery

Loc: New Zealand
    #12954315 - 07/26/10 06:50 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

aww wtf man, u serious?

OfflineLeon Ferrum
environmentalist know-it-all
Male User Gallery

Re: Setting up a stealth woodland camp [Re: sum0]
    #12958485 - 07/26/10 09:25 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Yo are you really in the Bay Area?  What woods are you living in?

Offlinesmeagolwoof
Stranger

#12960756 - 07/27/10 10:31 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

cyanophilus said:
I lost my heart and my interest to do anything.

been there :frown: life is a sine wave, forget about the trough your in and just look forward to the next peak :wink: I found the biggest thing that took me through bad times was having a dog, the happiness is infectious

Offlinesmeagolwoof
Stranger

#12960766 - 07/27/10 10:33 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

although having a dog and a motorbike is a pain in the arse  :laugh:

Offlinecyanophilus
ectosporium

#12962658 - 07/27/10 05:23 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I am fine with my current situation of living.

It does not effect the person I have become.
Regarding this thread, I am sorry. I urge anyone with an interest in this to continue it. Fuck me for fucking this up! Get on with this great idea and make something of it, it seemed to be such a hot topic.

OfflineNiwita
Village Idiot
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under a Rock
    #12972383 - 07/29/10 02:43 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Wow...

This is really inspiring, I'm really interested in survival and camping, I'll be following this closely.

--------------------
:etbig::etbig::etbig:

OfflineMikeallojee
Coolaid smile
Male User Gallery

Loc: SW WA
Re: Setting up a stealth woodland camp [Re: Niwita]
    #12983248 - 07/31/10 11:03 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Dude you still have a job...hold onto that. Bust your ass to make it work and you will find a way. Unless you want to live in the woods and eat bugs and wild honey. mcy

OfflineGreenGoblin7
Dreamer
Male User Gallery

Re: Setting up a stealth woodland camp [Re: Mikeallojee]
    #12986722 - 08/01/10 07:00 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

What made you change your mind? Cool thread by the way :thumbup:

--------------------
:mushroom2:"Only when the power of love overcomes the love of power will the world be at peace" - Jimi Hendrix:mushroom2:

2009 Carolina Hunting Thread
2010 Carolina Hunting Thread

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Ythan, Anno, Thor, Link, Seuss
9,047 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.035 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 14 queries.